Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is girooutlet legit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is girooutlet legit?

Old 01-31-23, 07:04 AM
  #1  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Is girooutlet legit?

Hope this is ok,

My tight arse, has been mulling over a different helmet and stumbled ofer this site. Girooutlet.com. They have some crazy deals but a couple of red flags I noticed. While everything they sell seems to be Giro branded, I donít notice any Giro trademarks. Secondly I wanted to use PayPal to add the extra layer of safety, they say they accept PP but donít have the option in the cart when I check out. I see no reviews on this anywhere.

Not too afraid of getting scammed for 100 or less, but submitting CC info is a bit scary.
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:12 AM
  #2  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Update another huge red flag, I googled the address, while it does not come up as a valid address. There are many many new discount businesses using that invalid address.

after seeing this I would suggest it’s a pass.
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:20 AM
  #3  
FBOATSB 
Senior Member
 
FBOATSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 2,130

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 288 Posts
https://www.scamwatcher.com/scam/view/596261
FBOATSB is online now  
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 01-31-23, 08:46 AM
  #4  
Shadco 
Resident PIA
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 648

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
Who would have thought that a scam watcher sit would object to ad blockers?

.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 09:33 AM
  #5  
FBOATSB 
Senior Member
 
FBOATSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 2,130

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco View Post
Who would have thought that a scam watcher sit would object to ad blockers?

.
I just googled "girooutlet.com scam?" and a whole list of bad reports popped up
FBOATSB is online now  
Old 01-31-23, 09:43 AM
  #6  
EVlove
Full Member
 
EVlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 233

Bikes: 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 2021 Zizzo Libertť

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 132 Posts
The standard answer is "if you have to ask, then it's not." Sounds snarky but is really just common sense.

What ticks me off is that Google doesn't keep this kind of scum out of their shopping results.
EVlove is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 11:02 AM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,325

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9674 Post(s)
Liked 6,048 Times in 3,477 Posts
I genuinely cant remember the last time someone here asked 'Is this site legit?' and it actually was legit.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-31-23, 12:45 PM
  #8  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,462

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,927 Posts
Do we really need to go through this again??? No none of the sites are legit whatever site you come up with that you have doubts about is not. Trying to save money can easily be a loosing game when you are just trying to find the absolute bargin bin. Find authorized dealers there are plenty of them and you will appreciate having the real deal without the scam and your wallet and credit card company will as well
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-31-23, 06:29 PM
  #9  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove View Post
The standard answer is "if you have to ask, then it's not." Sounds snarky but is really just common sense.

What ticks me off is that Google doesn't keep this kind of scum out of their shopping results.
. Nothing snarky about it.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I genuinely cant remember the last time someone here asked 'Is this site legit?' and it actually was legit.
I simply had hope, lol Honestly Iím guilty of returning to the same retailers too frequently so this is the first site that Iíve had an interest in something that didnít pan out to be real.
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 06:40 PM
  #10  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Do we really need to go through this again??? No none of the sites are legit whatever site you come up with that you have doubts about is not. Trying to save money can easily be a loosing game when you are just trying to find the absolute bargin bin. Find authorized dealers there are plenty of them and you will appreciate having the real deal without the scam and your wallet and credit card company will as well
yeah I get it, but when the closest full service LBS that may have a selection is 1 hour in one direction and 1.5 hours in the other direction. Itís not always convenient to go there & not see something Iím interested in. Iíve been guilty of settling and buying something because itís in front of me and the shop I stepped in was super helpful. I do travel for a living and may occasionally peek my head in a shop when time permits, but that may be only every couple months or so.

it was a helmetÖ. Not much to go wrong with it. Pretty sure there are other popular items we all use frequently that most of us turn to the internet for, jerseyís are one thing that comes to mind.
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:24 PM
  #11  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,462

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell View Post
yeah I get it, but when the closest full service LBS that may have a selection is 1 hour in one direction and 1.5 hours in the other direction. Itís not always convenient to go there & not see something Iím interested in. Iíve been guilty of settling and buying something because itís in front of me and the shop I stepped in was super helpful. I do travel for a living and may occasionally peek my head in a shop when time permits, but that may be only every couple months or so.

it was a helmetÖ. Not much to go wrong with it. Pretty sure there are other popular items we all use frequently that most of us turn to the internet for, jerseyís are one thing that comes to mind.
I get it to a point but you have legit brick and mortar shops selling online or at least actual legit online sellers authorized to sell the product. No need for shady stuff numba one bahgin $ave money, good deal!
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:33 PM
  #12  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I get it to a point but you have legit brick and mortar shops selling online or at least actual legit online sellers authorized to sell the product. No need for shady stuff numba one bahgin $ave money, good deal!
true, but itís hard to define ďlegit brick and mortar shopsĒ without research, which was kind of what I was doing right?

The place could have been legit. Could have been a LBS that had purchased other close out product or perhaps another retiring LBS. you never know until you investigate.
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:45 PM
  #13  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,462

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell View Post
true, but itís hard to define ďlegit brick and mortar shopsĒ without research, which was kind of what I was doing right?

The place could have been legit. Could have been a LBS that had purchased other close out product or perhaps another retiring LBS. you never know until you investigate.
I mean the name of the website sounds like a scam. A bike shop would be unlikely to have a girooulet website when it would be way cheaper to use their own like say MellowJohnnys.com or Wastyn.com (two well known shops). I mean if there is a doubt that is a good sign I wouldn't want to purchase in the first place.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 07:56 PM
  #14  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I mean the name of the website sounds like a scam. A bike shop would be unlikely to have a girooulet website when it would be way cheaper to use their own like say MellowJohnnys.com or Wastyn.com (two well known shops). I mean if there is a doubt that is a good sign I wouldn't want to purchase in the first place.
yup lot of concerns, again thatís why I didnít purchase, and donít feel ashamed that I asked.

Honestly, doesnít cost much to obtain a LLC or even less for a Sole Proprietorship, getting a domain name isnít that much of an investment. That particular scammer appears to have many domains
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 01-31-23, 08:01 PM
  #15  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,462

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell View Post
yup lot of concerns, again thatís why I didnít purchase, and donít feel ashamed that I asked.

Honestly, doesnít cost much to obtain a LLC or even less for a Sole Proprietorship, getting a domain name isnít that much of an investment. That particular scammer appears to have many domains
You shouldn't feel ashamed for asking but people ask these questions a lot around here. I think they are the new chain lube...LOL

True but still most shops wouldn't buy a second website to sell product they sell in their shop. Unless running two different businesses or something but most bike shop owners aren't the spend a lot of money on useless expenses type.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-01-23, 07:20 AM
  #16  
EVlove
Full Member
 
EVlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 233

Bikes: 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 2021 Zizzo Libertť

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell View Post
it was a helmetÖ. Not much to go wrong with it. Pretty sure there are other popular items we all use frequently that most of us turn to the internet for, jerseyís are one thing that comes to mind.
No it wasn't just a helmet, it's criminals trying to get your credit card info. Good grief you're naÔve.
EVlove is offline  
Old 02-01-23, 08:42 AM
  #17  
Bogey Speedwell
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 159

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove View Post
No it wasn't just a helmet, it's criminals trying to get your credit card info. Good grief you're naÔve.
read the entire thread, the quote you grabbed was in reference to internet purchasing & LBS, and the services they provide. Not much to go wrong with a helmet, meaning if it failed I have confidence I would just throw it away versus asking for service.

Last edited by Bogey Speedwell; 02-01-23 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Rethought my response. Don’t need to go there
Bogey Speedwell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.