Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tuebeless vs tubes with sealant inside

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tuebeless vs tubes with sealant inside

Old 02-01-23, 11:15 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Sealant in tubes works well, in my experience. First try was with the kind of frustrating slow leak that could easily survive a ride, but the tire would be flat overnight -- not confidence inspiring. Add some Orange Seal, aired back up and spun the wheel: no more leak.

Definitely seals smaller punctures without a problem. When I eventually removed the tube, there were multiple points where the tube was lightly glued to the tire...
Likes For Bulette:
Old 02-01-23, 03:49 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
I use Slime for butyl tubes and Stan's for latex tubes. Haven't tried any others. Both work pretty well for me around here, where the main threats are goatheads. With my heavier hybrid bike with 38mm tires, I would sometimes find flats in the morning. Check for a thorn, give it a spin, pump it up and go. I eventually added more sealant when it happened two mornings in a row. Problem solved. When I finally changed the tire, the tube had maybe a dozen obvious places where the sealant had worked.

Sealant also has worked for me while on the road. Find the culprit, take it out, put the spot where it was on the bottom if necessary so the sealant can run down to it. Add some air, and if sealant leaks out, put your finger on it for a bit, then add more air when it no longer leaks. Then ride away.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-01-23, 11:34 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 132 Posts
BITD I used slime in butyl tubes in goathead thorn areas like Bakersfield, Ca. What a lifesaver. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Except now there are a lot more choices for sealants.
Likes For HelpSingularity: