Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to tights for cooler weather

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alternatives to tights for cooler weather

Old 10-22-22, 07:41 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
It's also worth it to note that at least in my area, men I see wearing tights are usually wearing looser shorts over the top. Whether this extra layer would be desirable for cycling, however, may be a different story (usually I see it on runners).
Old 10-24-22, 12:19 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The center seam.
That doesn't cause me any issue.
Old 11-01-22, 06:55 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
If you're looking for pants that you can wear at work, check out Swrve. I don't really ride to work anymore but I got one of their softshell trousers for regular wear in the cold and it's great.
Old 11-29-22, 02:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have a pair of chrome pants as I wanted something I could work in and did not have to change. Plus I need something that holds up I have worn the crotch out of more jean pants. they block the wind and the rain on your legs. when it is closer to 32 then I use this guys. water proof and really warm. they kept my legs so warm my whole body stayed warmer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
circling back because I started using them. a cpl walks w/ Wifey & 2 bike rides. gotta say I'm liking them! nice to have 1 layer instead of 2. flex at the knee is not bad. the drive train side needs an ankle band. the price is down to just under $50. a smart man would buy a 2nd pair ...
I did buy 1 size up & do use suspenders & both decisions seem good

THANK YOU
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-06-22, 08:55 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use not-too-loose bib snow pants on top of whatever is appropriate. Works well for short rides (might not be too comfortable in the saddle for longer rides).
Old 12-18-22, 09:21 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
so far wit these its been good. my butt and crotch can get colder because ow its only one layer. and I think if it is getting close to freezing I will put on my light rain pants. but when I ride in the evens after works I just take my work pants and under roos off and put them on wit the straps over my work shirts and with my gore-tex jacket its off to the races. no putting on the padded underwear then the hips its easy to pee too. so far it has not really rained since I have ridden with them. but so far its much faster to change into them and much more comfortable.
Old 12-22-22, 08:50 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve always liked my Baleaf winter pants… very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Cyclin..._dp&th=1&psc=1
Old 12-24-22, 04:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I don't sweat a lot, and don't have problems with chafing. So I just wear relatively loose snow pants over my regular work clothes for a 4 mile commute each way. My hunch is that the loose-ness creates a bit of an air pocket that helps keep me warm.

In Wisconsin we have periods of a few weeks in spring and fall, where the riding conditions vary from morning to evening, so I often have to remove layers for the ride home. Or sometimes I just guess wrong on the weather in the morning A pannier or basket helps me stow the extra stuff along with my lunch bag.
Old 12-25-22, 12:09 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Thank me later. Just order one size up from what you normally wear. The the size chart is valid.

https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Win...-1-spons&psc=1
My only problem is the ass looks way to big. 5'9" and 160 LB's my ass would feel like a balloon.

I have bought some winter casual fleece lined pants on Amazon and although well made the ass tends to be big on those as well. If you get them without cargo pockets they fit better but I want cargo's.

I wear black LJ's, and Prana Zion Shorts. Any short that is longer with LJ's will work.
I NEED POCKETS.
Old 12-27-22, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have a pair of chrome pants as I wanted something I could work in and did not have to change. Plus I need something that holds up I have worn the crotch out of more jean pants. they block the wind and the rain on your legs. when it is closer to 32 then I use this guys. water proof and really warm. they kept my legs so warm my whole body stayed warmer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QTSNZY6...roduct_details
another quick thank you. rode them in 17 degrees for a cpl hrs last week. wasn't sure if I should add thin running tights under, but nope didn't need them. these are going to get used a lot! drive side leg needs a cuff band. I've written that before but I need a better lower leg cover instead of just a strap.something like a gaiter but not

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-27-22 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-07-23, 03:44 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I make my own knickers from thrift store pants. Cut em off, hem em up, and sew on velcro closure. I use heavier wool for cold and lightweight cotton for warmer stuff. I like my knees covered if it is at all cold. This is close to free and very stylish.
Likes For robobike316: