Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Old 01-02-23, 12:35 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13690 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 2,498 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I'm working today also. From home. I have a painter here so I ordered a pizza from the local place on their app. They charged my cc. 45 minutes for delivery. 75 minutes later no pizza. I called and got a message that they are closed today. They'll be getting a call from me tomorrow.
Made my own lunch. No waiting. And the kitchen is always open.
Old 01-02-23, 12:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

One year my friend drove up to provide sag at the summit. The knucklehead in the white jersey wasn't with us but he was looking for something to help with the descent because he dressed for a warm ride. I think she gave him some papers to put in his jersey.
This reminds me of some of the stuff they taught in a Hunter Safety class I took, some years back. An important part of it was "How Not To Die", where they said never underestimate how much and how quickly conditions can change. The example they gave was a Dad who wanted to take his kids hiking on a mountain, and only had summer clothing, and the Wise Old Hunter trying to convince him that he needed to pack warm clothes, food, and water, but the Dad was sure he knew better....

Last year, I went up Kings Mountain on a day when it was not too bad down below - around 60. I was in arm warmers and a vest, can't remember if I had knee warmers. At the top of the ridge it was 50 degrees and foggy, and damp as all hell. I was soaked from both sweating AND the fog. Kings is a more technical descent than I wanted to do, so I ended up going a couple miles South along the ridgeline to a less technical route, and MAN, was it COLD!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-02-23, 12:46 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This reminds me of some of the stuff they taught in a Hunter Safety class I took, some years back. An important part of it was "How Not To Die", where they said never underestimate how much and how quickly conditions can change. The example they gave was a Dad who wanted to take his kids hiking on a mountain, and only had summer clothing, and the Wise Old Hunter trying to convince him that he needed to pack warm clothes, food, and water, but the Dad was sure he knew better....

Last year, I went up Kings Mountain on a day when it was not too bad down below - around 60. I was in arm warmers and a vest, can't remember if I had knee warmers. At the top of the ridge it was 50 degrees and foggy, and damp as all hell. I was soaked from both sweating AND the fog. Kings is a more technical descent than I wanted to do, so I ended up going a couple miles South along the ridgeline to a less technical route, and MAN, was it COLD!
When we went to Telluride in August '21, we went on one hike that showed us:

1. Temps in the '70s with sunshine;
2. Cloudy with temps in the 60s;
3. Rain with temps in the 40s - 50s;
4. Snow and cold;
5. Sleet and cold;
6. Hail and reasonably warm.

All constantly changing and not in the order listed, over a course of 1500' of elevation and 4 miles.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-02-23, 01:19 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts

This is no joke. There’s been several stories in recent months of unprepared hikers needing rescue here. Some weren’t fortunate enough to get rescued, including a 20 year old woman who was trying to hit all the New England 4K footers.

We hike quite a bit, and there have been times in July where we’re dripping sweat getting from the car to the trailhead only to be putting on pants and jackets on the way up. There was one time on one of the Presidentials where we were at the summit and watched the weather change, violently, in the span of about 20 minutes. We always pack a lot of warm clothes, extra water, extra food, and tools because the weather can be so unpredictable.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 01-02-23, 01:23 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Separately, I just banged out 1,200M in the pool. There’s an older guy that I see frequently and the guy just pounds out laps. He’s not particularly fast, but he’s a workhorse. Anyway, all of a sudden he starts blowing past me repeatedly like I was treading water. I was trying to hold a specific pace, but it was really odd that he was that fast.

He must have gotten flippers for Christmas because he was using them! Made me feel a little better!
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 01-02-23, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Mojo31
When we went to Telluride in August '21, we went on one hike that showed us:

1. Temps in the '70s with sunshine;
2. Cloudy with temps in the 60s;
3. Rain with temps in the 40s - 50s;
4. Snow and cold;
5. Sleet and cold;
6. Hail and reasonably warm.

All constantly changing and not in the order listed, over a course of 1500' of elevation and 4 miles.
A friend was hunting Elk in Montana with a local guide. The weather turned on them a bit in the late afternoon and they got a little turned around, so they decided to stop for the night in the root hole left by a fallen tree. The guide was nursing a tiny fire which was doing very little to keep them warm, when he realized the root ball they were using for shelter was a pine tree, and would be full of resin. So he scooped up the fire with his gloves and dumped it on the pine root ball, flared up into a nice, roaring fire. My friend said, "I think we're gonna live".

The next morning, they discovered they were no more than a couple hundred yards from the truck.

Old 01-02-23, 01:38 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
What do you want this thread to be about?
My lottery winings!
Old 01-02-23, 01:39 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I had a Road Morph explode its own head. So, there are other failures.

Running is much simpler.
and yet still dumber
Old 01-02-23, 01:42 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Speaking of which, it was a roller coaster ride last week.

On Wednesday I was slowly driving down a side street when a squirrel darted in front of me. I avoided him, but then there was a second squirrel chasing him which I hit. First such tragedy for me in many years.

Then on Friday, a breakout game for an up-and-coming college football star.

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/s...11378836193280

Tears of sadness, tears of joy, in a span of a couple days.

The entire spectrum of human emotions, courtesy of a rodent.
There are councilors waiting to take your call if you find it necessary.
Old 01-02-23, 01:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
We had a good ride, 11 riders and it was SUPPOSED to be “winter pace,” but obviously too much testosterone and the pace was really about 1MPH faster than it should have been. We pretty much stayed together until the last couple of miles, when two riders started to run out of gas, but luckily no one was butthurt and I think everyone had a good time.
Old 01-02-23, 01:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by big john
I've done the Mount Wilson NYD ride 16 times, iirc. Always from home, making it about 65 miles when we could get to the top. Sometimes too much snow and ice.
I did it when it was so windy I could hear the sand rattling on my glasses. Did it in the rain and one year it was 22 degrees when we turned to go back down.
Mount Wilson Pt. 3 - Mount Wilson | Strava Ride Segment in La Cañada Flintridge, California

Here is a pic from the road to the summit. It's 5 miles and gains about 1000 feet. Gotta be careful coming back down.

Me near the top with full-on aerobelly.
I did that last February. There were a decent number of icy patches on the side of the road which were unnerving but I took it easy and was able to summit. It was COLD.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-02-23, 01:48 PM
ls01
he said member

I had the brakes on the ritchey dialed in for the super teams. Put the mavics on didn’t change anything but the pads. Today I put the superteams back on and they were all out of wack. Had to open the clamp all the way up on both the front and rear break in order to get the wheels to spin freely. This was after I had the barrel adjusted all the way in. Strange.
make sure the cable housing is in the barel sometimes during change overs they come out and get hung up on the edge of the barrel
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-02-23, 01:49 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by DougRNS
36 pound frame? ..and they're bragging about it.
#Ouch
3.6 lbs
Old 01-02-23, 01:50 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by rjones28
You're missing the point.
Oh....ohmy....
Old 01-02-23, 01:54 PM
ls01
he said member

Benson's veterinarian is also working today. She removed Benson's stitches this morning.
Oh no! What happened?
Old 01-02-23, 02:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by ls01
make sure the cable housing is in the barel sometimes during change overs they come out and get hung up on the edge of the barrel
Been there, done that.

Old 01-02-23, 02:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Benson's veterinarian is also working today. She removed Benson's stitches this morning.
Uh oh, what happened?
Old 01-02-23, 02:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,835 Times in 3,142 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
My office is closed today, thankfully, so I can ride. My fair-weather cycling friends bailed on me the past 2 days, but given the dry conditions I should have a decent size group today.
I am on attending call for the first two weeks of the month, but the in-house fellow is out today with a positive COVID test, so I'm "it." I have top cover to do it from home and they won't pay me the $75/hr the fellows get, anyway.

Calls: 0; Saves: 0; Kills: 0 so far.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-02-23, 02:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
For me on a climb like that I am soaked when I turn around to descend so I have to carry layers. It feels warm climbing at 8mph but very different descending @35 and not working.
Once on a mtb ride it started snowing near the top. It was actually warm at the start but freezing when I turned back. I only had summer clothes and got hypothermia and I was sick for some time after that day.
Old 01-02-23, 03:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Oh my, another ghost bike showed up on the CL today. Now there are two on my watch list. Trying not to buy

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-02-23, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So, after yesterday's beautiful sun, cloudless skies, and closed roads and trails, today is gray and threatening. So instead of a ride IRL, I made everyone a nice breakfast (though considering the time, more of a brunch, with the accent on the 'UNCH'). Then Rango gave me the big brown eye treatment, so I took him for a walk. Close to the end, the skies made good on the threat, and rained on us a bit. Definitely no outdoor ride today - I really think I spent more time cleaning the Canyon yesterday than I spent riding it. I'm not up for another mudfest.

Old 01-02-23, 03:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Took Venus for a walk on the local golf course today. I could use the exercise, too.

Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-02-23, 04:44 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,172 Times in 2,220 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
This is no joke. There’s been several stories in recent months of unprepared hikers needing rescue here. Some weren’t fortunate enough to get rescued, including a 20 year old woman who was trying to hit all the New England 4K footers.

We hike quite a bit, and there have been times in July where we’re dripping sweat getting from the car to the trailhead only to be putting on pants and jackets on the way up. There was one time on one of the Presidentials where we were at the summit and watched the weather change, violently, in the span of about 20 minutes. We always pack a lot of warm clothes, extra water, extra food, and tools because the weather can be so unpredictable.

She went to W&M right down the street from me. I basically knew her.
Old 01-02-23, 04:48 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,172 Times in 2,220 Posts
So I follow this guy on strava that rides around my Wife’s old stomping grounds in Napoli, Italy.

Today he posted pictures of a bike shop. Naturally I google this bike shop and notice they carry a brand of bike called Cipollini. Never seen or heard of this little onion before and was immediately interested.

Just now I am watching another guy on strava that rides in DC, he post videos and commentary of his daily rides, and what do I see. A white and gold Cipollini. Weird how life works.

Make some nice looking bikes. Like the name translation.
Old 01-02-23, 04:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

So I follow this guy on strava that rides around my Wife’s old stomping grounds in Napoli, Italy.

Today he posted pictures of a bike shop. Naturally I google this bike shop and notice they carry a brand of bike called Cipollini. Never seen or heard of this little onion before and was immediately interested.

Just now I am watching another guy on strava that rides in DC, he post videos and commentary of his daily rides, and what do I see. A white and gold Cipollini. Weird how life works.

Make some nice looking bikes. Like the name translation.
Google Mario Cipollini. Not a good guy based on recent revelations.
Likes For datlas:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.