Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to do when stuck at a car activated traffic light?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-01-23, 06:54 PM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There is a traffic light on a very broad cross section in my commute route. Cars are fast coming off the freeway and going into the freeway.

On the other side is a trail/park where I want to get to. But in the early morning, there are no cars going to the other side. Last time I waited for like 5 minutes and ran the red light when no cars are around.

Can I activate the green light somehow on a bike?
Old 02-01-23, 07:03 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
If your bike's frame is metal, I've usually been able to trigger the sensor by leaning my bike way over to one side.

Failing that, go to the side and push one of the pedestrian buttons. This will usually trigger a full cycle of all the lights.

--Shannon
Old 02-01-23, 07:08 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
In my state it says right in the vehicle code that you can run a car-activated light if you are on a bicycle that will not trip it. Look at the laws in your state or talk to a cop and see what they say about it.
Likes For beng1:
Old 02-01-23, 07:09 PM
bikecommuter13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah silly me, should have googled first:

Hopefully it will work next time.

Old 02-01-23, 07:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
In this type of situation I just run the red light but only if it's safe to do so....or I activate the light by pushing a pedestrian cross walk button which almost every traffic light has.
Old 02-01-23, 07:49 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Check to see if your state is listed. You might have an “Idaho stop” law for bicycles.

The Idaho stop is the common name for laws that allow cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, and a red light as a stop sign.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idah...lative_history

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 02-01-23, 10:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
Since the OP doesn’t list their location (a pet peeve for all that don’t) we cannot look up bicycle laws in your state. In Washington state another contributor found a law here stating that if a cyclist fails to trip the light and sits there through another entire signal cycle, they can then proceed with caution. Wikipedia wasn’t updated to state that.

You state may have a similar rule, but you will need to look it up.

Old 02-02-23, 03:54 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
1. if alone in lane, wait it out or go click pedestrian thingy
2. if not alone in lane, get behind a car so light will change
3. running some lights may get you a ticket
Old 02-02-23, 05:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
1. if alone in lane, wait it out or go click pedestrian thingy
2. if not alone in lane, get behind a car so light will change
3. running some lights may get you a ticket
If there is no pedestrian button, don't push it.
If there are no cars (as stated) then don't follow them.
If you look around before you go to make sure it is safe, you will see if there is a police car. if there is, see @Rsob's post two posts up which completely answers the question.

First step is Always know the bike laws where you ride. They will be online and not too hard to find. (first step, IMO)
Old 02-02-23, 08:23 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Proceed when it is safe to do so.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 02-02-23, 08:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
may not help in the OP's situation, but fwiw - used to get stuck at one on my commute so I began moving to the right of the lane I was in (just had to be sure I wasn't blocking the right turn ppl) & when a car came up from behind, I waved them to the front where they would trigger it. then when it turned green, I waited for them to go first
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-02-23, 08:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-02-23, 09:18 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Looks like you could turn right at the stoplight, then left into that parking lot. Make your way from there back onto the street you wanted to continue on. If you had to, of course.

Last edited by seypat; 02-02-23 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 09:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
the "button" may not always be placed in an ideal location that is logical &/or safe for peds [common MI issue I face & have not had luck with my representative to address it] , so if that is the case, I'd run the light after making sure the coast is clear.
Old 02-02-23, 09:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Since the OP doesn’t list their location (a pet peeve for all that don’t) we cannot look up bicycle laws in your state. In Washington state another contributor found a law here stating that if a cyclist fails to trip the light and sits there through another entire signal cycle, they can then proceed with caution. Wikipedia wasn’t updated to state that.

You state may have a similar rule, but you will need to look it up.
Is there a time clause also, like 3 minutes?

At many intersections there is no way to know if you've sat through a cycle. In some intersections the opposing traffic can trigger the light so you know they got a cycle, but at many you could just sit there indefinitely wondering if you'll get a green light and there will be no indication that any cycles have elapsed.
Old 02-02-23, 09:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
If it won't trigger, ask the law enforcement for that jurisdiction what they think you should do. They are the ones that will ticket you and cause you grief if they see you run it on red. More and more of the lights in our area are made with a different way to sense cyclists. Perhaps if you let your public works department or whomever is responsible for the lights, then they'll look into getting sensors systems for the traffic lights that work for cyclists too. However if you don't say anything to them, they'll be more than happy not to do anything.
Old 02-02-23, 09:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
WRT suggestions about proceeding through the red lights (which I’ve done frequently), and possible “Idaho Stop” laws…I used the link that ‘dedhed’ posted above for individual states bicycle laws to see what it says for my state (RI). Under the heading “”Idaho Stop” and Vehicle Detection Errors,” It specifically says that bicycles are “NOT authorized to disobey traffic lights that fail to detect bicyclists.” So…just pointing out that if your state has similar verbiage, going through a red light on your bike could get you a citation…even perhaps if some pi$$ed off motorist takes video of you doing it.

Dan
Old 02-02-23, 10:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
If your state has a law, write to a local representative and ask him WTF? What are you supposed to do? Wait for a car which might never come?

He will probably tell to to take a right, do u turn, then take a right.

If you really care (or are worried about a ticket) get all your local cycling clubs to call and write.

Everyone says "So proud to be an American" but to be a good American you are supposed to actually participate in government.

Look how many states have gotten Idaho Stop laws.
Old 02-02-23, 10:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
WRT suggestions about proceeding through the red lights (which I’ve done frequently), and possible “Idaho Stop” laws…I used the link that ‘dedhed’ posted above for individual states bicycle laws to see what it says for my state (RI). Under the heading “”Idaho Stop” and Vehicle Detection Errors,” It specifically says that bicycles are “NOT authorized to disobey traffic lights that fail to detect bicyclists.” So…just pointing out that if your state has similar verbiage, going through a red light on your bike could get you a citation…even perhaps if some pi$$ed off motorist takes video of you doing it.

Dan
Every state has a statement like this one

In the event that any traffic control signal at a place other than an intersection should cease to operate or should malfunction as set forth in this section, drivers may proceed through the inoperative or malfunctioning signal only with caution, as if the signal were one of flashing yellow.
Most of the laws I’ve seen require a wait time of around 2 cycles…2 to 4 minutes. A failure to detect a bicycle can be considered a malfunction. You aren’t required to wait at a stop light until you die of thirst and starvation.

Originally Posted by bikecommuter13

Hopefully it will work next time.
Although your picture seems a bit weird (the loop is on the wrong side of the road), you should probably try to ride your bike directly over the middle of the X (red arrow). If you can see the cuts in the road for a detection loop…sometimes a big “if”…ride over the center leg if it is a figure 8 type or over one of the long legs if it is a single loop. It doesn’t matter if your wheels are aluminum. The induction loop works when it is disturbed by a conductor moving through the field. Carbon wheels can even work but, with any bicycle wheel, you have to be directly over the wires and preferable over the most sensitive part of the loop.

A lot of detection today is made by motion detection. Look for a camera…usually white and round…on top of the traffic signal arm. This is a low resolution camera and is often set to ignore small targets like head on bicycles. For those waving your arms around or turning the bicycle sideways can work. If it doesn’t follow the malfunctioning signal law and proceed with caution.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-02-23, 10:21 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
If your bike's frame is metal, I've usually been able to trigger the sensor by leaning my bike way over to one side.
Depends totally on the sensor. We have a light in our area that won't trigger with 5 bikes on the sensor. I know that and so wait for traffic to clear and then run the red light. If I ever get stopped by the sheriff I'll explain that and ask what I'm supposed to do on a Sunday morning with no traffic to trip the light. You can always try talking to your local road office and ask them to tweak the sensitivity of the detector, but that is often fruitless.
Old 02-02-23, 10:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
Looking specifically at the intersection posted by the OP...There are pedestrian buttons. Roll up the ramp, hit the button, roll down the ramp, and cross when the light turns green. If that doesn't work, run the red when it's clear to do so.
Old 02-02-23, 10:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
On a side note, there is one sensor that makes my Cateye Padrone max out at 65 mph.
Next time I'll take a pic and claim my new PR.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-02-23, 10:55 AM
bikecommuter13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Every state has a statement like this one

Most of the laws I’ve seen require a wait time of around 2 cycles…2 to 4 minutes. A failure to detect a bicycle can be considered a malfunction. You aren’t required to wait at a stop light until you die of thirst and starvation.

Although your picture seems a bit weird (the loop is on the wrong side of the road), you should probably try to ride your bike directly over the middle of the X (red arrow). If you can see the cuts in the road for a detection loop…sometimes a big “if”…ride over the center leg if it is a figure 8 type or over one of the long legs if it is a single loop. It doesn’t matter if your wheels are aluminum. The induction loop works when it is disturbed by a conductor moving through the field. Carbon wheels can even work but, with any bicycle wheel, you have to be directly over the wires and preferable over the most sensitive part of the loop.

A lot of detection today is made by motion detection. Look for a camera…usually white and round…on top of the traffic signal arm. This is a low resolution camera and is often set to ignore small targets like head on bicycles. For those waving your arms around or turning the bicycle sideways can work. If it doesn’t follow the malfunctioning signal law and proceed with caution.
Oh, I didn't even see those cuts until you pointed them out. I was thinking the bicycle sign is where I should place my wheel, just like the youtube video was saying. I'll try them out next time. Thanks!
Old 02-02-23, 11:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I engage my common sense detector and look around then keep riding once its safe.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-02-23, 01:10 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
In California, a legal way to do this is to

First make a right turn.
Proceed to a point where it is legal and make a U-turn.
Return to the intersection.
Make a right turn.

Et voila, you are on your way.

I almost never do that. I go push the pedestrian button and many cities even have cyclist-accessible buttons.

When all else fails, cross against the light when it is safe to do so - no traffic from ANY direction..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.