Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinions on this Sunlite Elson Roadster handlebar on 80s Peugeot Ventoux

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 12:40 PM
tairy

Bikes: Peugeot Ventoux, Trek Multitrack 830 (ebike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I just installed this Sunlite Elson Roadster handlebar on my electric bike conversion. I wanted to see how it would look like on my Peugeot Ventoux and also to see if it would fit. Luckily this Peugeot has a 22.2 mm stem so I guess a lot of handlebars would fit. Here's how the black one looks. It originally had a chrome handlebar so maybe that color would look better. The main thing is I want something upright but I also want it to look good. I'm also thinking of getting some handlebar grips that match one of the Peugeot colors

Soooo...what do you think?

One last thing I'm thinking about putting a front basket and removing the rear rack.

Here's what the same handlebar looks like on my Trek ebike I converted.

Old 06-14-22, 02:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
It all depends on what you like. I prefer drops on my road bikes and regular mountain bars with perpendicular forward-facing extensions on my mountain bike. I really like having more than one hand position.

Your bottom bracket motor attachment reminds me a bit of the 1930s Adler ["eagle"] German bikes with their 3-speed sliding gear bracket-mounted transmissions. Cool!
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...acket_1936.jpg
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-14-22, 03:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I like it, but silver would look much better.
Old 06-15-22, 07:36 AM
tairy

Originally Posted by John E
It all depends on what you like. I prefer drops on my road bikes and regular mountain bars with perpendicular forward-facing extensions on my mountain bike. I really like having more than one hand position.

Your bottom bracket motor attachment reminds me a bit of the 1930s Adler ["eagle"] German bikes with their 3-speed sliding gear bracket-mounted transmissions. Cool!
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...acket_1936.jpg
Thanks for sharing that. I've never heard of the Adler eagle. Very cool! Yeah the ebike conversion is a Tongsheng TSDZ2 which just fits right into the bottom bracket. I replaced almost all the original components of it. It was stressful getting everything working correctly at times but really rewarding to finally get to ride it. It's also nice feeling upright in traffic.

I decided to go with the same bars on the Peigeot but chrome and some cork grips! Thanks all for your input.
Likes For tairy:
Old 06-15-22, 08:49 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by tairy
I decided to go with the same bars on the Peigeot but chrome and some cork grips!.
The black finish was the only down-check I saw, so cool that you decided on chrome. If the bike had been outfitted with any other black components, that would have been different.

Old 06-17-22, 03:21 PM
tairy

Originally Posted by tiger1964
The black finish was the only down-check I saw, so cool that you decided on chrome. If the bike had been outfitted with any other black components, that would have been different.
So I got the cork handlebar grips, the handlebars and the front basket. I think they look pretty good together. When I thought I'd be near the end of my project, I hit another bump in the road. So I was told that my Modolo Speedy brakes could be vastly improved if I tried some Kool Stop brake pads. Facts, though are that these brakes are flat out terrible. It's time to update. In addition, I had to buy some brake levers that are capable of short pull for the Speedy brakes (they're Shimanos and they're also capable to switch to be compatible with long pull brakes). They're probably fine brake levers however, they're black and thus don't really go with this bike's color scheme.

So....it looks like I'm gonna look for some brakes that have a more modern twist. By that I mean are capable of stopping my bike. I think it will need a side pull caliper brake and still with a short pull. I'll probably pick these up:

velo orange - levers

If I sell the Modolo Speedy brakes to someone who wants to use vintage components, would you reckon I should keep the Kool Stops on there or return them? For someone who knows what they're doing maybe it's easy to get these brakes working right. Here are a few photos of what the bike looks like so far.

I think I may be getting a little too obsessive over the bike's look but with that said I may take off that rear rack.