Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Checking bikes and bike gear on planes - Li ion batteries

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-02-22, 08:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts

As far as I understand, Li ion batteries are not allowed in checked baggage on airplanes, but are OK in carry-on luggage. A few points and questions:

1. I assume that many people have flown their DI2 bikes as checked baggage. Has anybody removed or disconnected the batteries before packing? Or do these batteries fly under TSA's radar and so it's not a problem? Is it in any practical sense a hazard?

This, from Shimano via Leonard Zinn, suggests removing the battery if it's external and leaving it in but "disconnecting" it if it's internal.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/combin...ng-components/

2. Powermeter batteries. For those who have replaceable batteries (i.e. CR2032 "coin" batteries), do you pop them out? My Favero Assioma power meters have batteries that I can't remove, and I have checked them in luggage before. Again, I don't think TSA would recognize the things as having Li ion batteries. But that doesn't make it OK if it's unsafe....

3. Other stuff. I've traveled with my front and rear lights, also with Li ion batteries without considering whether i should. They haven't caused problems AFAIK, but....

For 2. and 3., there's no good reason to check these things - I can put them in my carry-ons. For 1, disconnecting the battery is a little bit of a pain, but...

Your experience and knowledge requested.
Old 08-02-22, 08:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
As far as I understand, Li ion batteries are not allowed in checked baggage on airplanes, but are OK in carry-on luggage. A few points and questions:

1. I assume that many people have flown their DI2 bikes as checked baggage. Has anybody removed or disconnected the batteries before packing? Or do these batteries fly under TSA's radar and so it's not a problem? Is it in any practical sense a hazard?

This, from Shimano via Leonard Zinn, suggests removing the battery if it's external and leaving it in but "disconnecting" it if it's internal.

2. Powermeter batteries. For those who have replaceable batteries (i.e. CR2032 "coin" batteries), do you pop them out? My Favero Assioma power meters have batteries that I can't remove, and I have checked them in luggage before. Again, I don't think TSA would recognize the things as having Li ion batteries. But that doesn't make it OK if it's unsafe....

3. Other stuff. I've traveled with my front and rear lights, also with Li ion batteries without considering whether i should. They haven't caused problems AFAIK, but....

For 2. and 3., there's no good reason to check these things - I can put them in my carry-ons. For 1, disconnecting the battery is a little bit of a pain, but...

the restriction of batteries in checked luggage is on SPARE batteries, not batteries installed in a device. perfectly fine to have electronic devices with batteries in your checked luggage as long as they are powered off and protected.

the FAA would like you to carry them on “when possible,” but obviously that’s not possible for a bicycle.

Devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion batteries (laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) should be carried in carry-on baggage when possible. When portable electronic devices powered by lithium batteries are in checked baggage, they must be completely powered off and protected to prevent unintentional activation or damage.
Old 08-03-22, 05:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Your CR2032 coin type batteries are Lithium metal, are not Lithium Ion, different rules apply.
https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/...ries-your-trip

I know you did not ask about the bigger batteries like e-bike batteries, but someone will assume that they can take their big battery on a plane, this is pertinent to larger batteries.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...or-less-device

When I bought my powerbank battery pack, the manufacturer literature made a point of saying it was less than 100 watt hours of capacity and could be carried in carry on luggage, mine is 44 watt hour capacity.

I carry spare CR2032 batteries when I fly, they are packed with my blood sugar meter that is in my carry on. I did not realize that small spare coin type batteries like that were prohibited in checked luggage, must be in carry on baggage until i read one of the rules I listed above.
Old 08-03-22, 06:30 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I take the batteries off my SRAM etap derailleurs. Actually take the RD off the hanger, too. Battery lights, Varia, 1030, and power bank all come on the plane with me. The 18650 or 21700 batteries from the light go into a small case. I do not take CR2032 or similar small coin shaped batteries out of various bits and pieces on the bike. I put the chargers and batteries in one clear plastic bag. It goes into my personal bag and I do not take them out. TSA has never inspected them. TSA is more concerned if you smuggle water onboard.
Old 08-03-22, 11:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

You should not be surprised if you see something like this in your luggage when you arrive at your destination.

Bikes are commonly checked. Mine has only been inspected a couple times but some people seem to get their bikes inspected more often.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-03-22, 11:53 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

I have travelled extensively with my Di2 bike. Multiple Europe and USA trips without issue however, on a trip through South East Asia, I was pulled from the lounge where I was waiting for my flight by a Vietnamese customs official. The battery in the Seatpost alarmed them and needed to be removed before the bike was allowed on the flight. Going forward, I remove all rechargeables from my checked luggage, if not Europe or North America.
Old 08-03-22, 01:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I have travelled extensively with my Di2 bike. Multiple Europe and USA trips without issue however, on a trip through South East Asia, I was pulled from the lounge where I was waiting for my flight by a Vietnamese customs official. The battery in the Seatpost alarmed them and needed to be removed before the bike was allowed on the flight. Going forward, I remove all rechargeables from my checked luggage, if not Europe or North America.
That's quite interesting. I wonder why there is a difference regionally.
Old 08-03-22, 02:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I doubt that it is regional, the first time someone looks at an X ray that might look like a small pipe bomb, especially if they have never actually seen a pipe bomb. What would you do if you were in their shoes? They are in a position where they are unlikely to be disciplined for being too careful. I am surprised it has not happened more often.