Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wind Noise Reduction Solution/s Found

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-20-22, 11:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts

One thing that gets wearisome on long rides is the constant wind noise - am I’m not talking about windy days, which has their own special weariness. I used ‘the Google’ and learned there are about 4 basic solutions. 3 are basically alike in design and the fourth is like a soft clam shell which goes over the ears - no thanks unless the weather is freezing. So, I decided to put vanity aside and purchased Cat Ears brand noise reduction thingies which attach to the forward helmet straps. They disrupt the airflow and divert it from directly entering the ear.

I test rode a pair today and the difference was remarkable at 15-16 MPH and below. Showed the Mrs and she now wants a pair. So if you are bothered or get tired of wind noise and aren’t afraid of looking a little goofy, try these or another manufacturer on your helmet. On Amazon I queried bicycle wind noise reduction.

Yes, ear plugs would work, but I still want to hear what’s around me too.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-13-22 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-21-22, 07:25 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Heh. I just ordered a pair yesterday from amazon too after another thread (50+ forum?) recommending them. I don't know if this spring and early summer has been windier than normal, or I've just reached a saturation point over all the years of wind. Here's hoping they work for me too.
Old 06-21-22, 08:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Since I've been listening to spoken-word podcasts in one ear for the last few years, the wind has been a problem. Based on your recommen dation, I think I will finally check out the cat-ears.
Old 06-21-22, 08:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
For those of you that went to Amazon and searched Cat Ears, only to wonder if people really meant you to be wearing "Cat" "Ears"

I offer THIS LINK...

You're welcome

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-21-22, 09:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Thanks Barry. For $16 (the price of a Venti Carmel Mochachino or some large floofy drink) if they don’t work, its no great loss.

Old farts that don’t drink large overly expensive drinks, I already know your response.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-21-22 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-21-22, 09:44 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
The guy in the picture in the "Why Cat-Ears?" part of the ad...the one riding with his mouth wide open...hopefully he's got some kind of gnat reduction device he's also attached to his helmet.
Old 06-21-22, 12:50 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
For those of you that went to Amazon and searched Cat Ears, only to wonder if people really meant you to be wearing "Cat" "Ears"

I offer THIS LINK...

You're welcome

Barry
Yup... My first search did not produce what I expected! This is a timely thread as I was just complaining about wind noise yesterday and wanted to continue looking for a solution

Has anyone tried the slimmer AirStreamz? https://www.amazon.com/AirStreamz-Cy...dp/B06VY6MH3Y/
Old 06-21-22, 03:44 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
One thing that gets wearisome on long rides is the constant wind noise - am I’m not talking about windy days, which has their own special weariness. I used ‘the Google’ and learned there are about 4 basic solutions. 3 are basically alike in design and the fourth is like a soft clam shell which goes over the ears - no thanks unless the weather is freezing. So, I decided to put vanity aside and purchased Cat Ears brand noise reduction thingies which attach to the forward helmet straps. They disrupt the airflow and divert it from directly entering the ear.

I test rode a pair today and the difference was remarkable, and even more-so when descending at speed. Showed the Mrs and she now wants a pair. So if you are bothered or get tired of wind noise and aren’t afraid of looking a little goofy, try these or another manufacturer on your helmet. On Amazon I queried bicycle wind noise reduction.

Yes, ear plugs would work, but I still want to hear what’s around me too.
A way to make helmets quieter without an "add-on" device is to simply twist the straps that go in front of your ear. This requires unthreading the straps, twist, and rethread. It is a significant noise reduction, though probably not as much as with a device.
Old 06-21-22, 03:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
A buddy got me into Cat Ears recently, too. My tinnitus is such that I've been seeking ways to prevent it getting worse, no matter how dorky I may look. They certainly help sometimes, but can't do much when there's a strong side- or tailwind.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-21-22, 05:42 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
I had some cotton from pill containers and made my own.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-21-22, 10:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I had some cotton from pill containers and made my own.
Ingenious solution or adaptation of someone else’s solution.

Just to reiterate, the cat ears reduce but do not completely attenuate sound. The helmet straps need to be snug to your face to get the maximum result. I may mean tightening down the clasp under your chin.

Old 06-21-22, 10:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
They're a great product. I tried them about 10+ years ago and they helped wind noise and let me listen to music through my ear buds at lower volume. I gave them to a friend who wears hearing aids and he loved them, and unfortunately I've never replaced them. At the time, the big decision was white for a fairly stealthy look, or black for the Elvis sideburns look.
Old 06-22-22, 10:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’ve used both CatEars and Slipstreamz, and they work a little— as in, under certain conditions— but neither worked well enough to earn a permanent spot in my cycling kit.

It would be nice to have a good solution to the annoyance of wind noise, though.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-24-22, 02:05 PM
CarrollB

Bikes: Trek Fx2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I bought the CatEars as I get a lot of wind noise mainly when I listen to music using earbuds. For me I did not see any wind noise reduction when I used them. Glad they only cost $16.
Old 06-24-22, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Sorry to hear that. They are not a panacea, but they help.

Old 07-11-22, 02:36 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Yup... My first search did not produce what I expected! This is a timely thread as I was just complaining about wind noise yesterday and wanted to continue looking for a solution

Has anyone tried the slimmer AirStreamz? https://www.amazon.com/AirStreamz-Cy...dp/B06VY6MH3Y/
I bought the AirStreamz and they do exactly what I was hoping they would: block enough noise (most of it) that I can now have a conversation without yelling with my daughter behind me, a riding partner next to me, or listen to music with my bone-conduction headphones without cranking up the volume. Or just enjoy the sounds of my tires rolling on the pavement or gravel which was much more difficult before.
They are a little dorky (who cares) and can get a bit warm on hot days (not super great but not a deal breaker).
In short, worked for me, recommended!
Old 07-12-22, 01:58 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
So, I decided to put vanity aside and purchased Cat Ears brand noise reduction thingies which attach to the forward helmet straps.
I ride with another American in the local cycling club in my village here…most of them are 40+ former footballers with wrecked knees, but with a lot of money to blow on serious kit and serious bikes. Anyhow, fellow American shows up with a set on his straps and he gets instantly savaged by the guys….he refuses to take them off. I give him brig props. He looks like a Fred between those things, his frame bag, and his mismatched 1990s era kit, but he doesn’t care. And his FTP, verified, is north of 350…so he can do what he wants.

Oh, the point of this, I tried them. They did absolutely nothing. I’m glad they’ve worked out for you and my buddy “Fred”. I’d love to have something to cut out the wind noise.
Old 07-12-22, 03:21 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Might have responded to an earlier/other thread, same topic.
Have a substantial amount of tinnitus, which is exaggerated by wind noise...
Tried 'Car ears' , and another similar product (can't remember name) out of OZ, as a workable solution (other than foam ear plugs which I have been using for decades).
no substantial wind noise reduction noticed on either of these.
Just finishing a week of trying 'WindBlox' - with frequent adjustments and attempts on 3 of my 6 six helmets (1 pr moved around...) not the full over-ear covers, the helmet strap add-ons...
They are comfortable, and do help a small amount, but not enough.
very slight improvement... but not enough to be used alone, without ear plugs.
back to ear Plugs - ones I prefer : Howard Leight - Laser Lites, box of 100 pr, has lasted forever...
I can hear most outside sounds like vehicle traffic, bike bells, speech within 5-8 feet, but hard to make out conversation (which is FINE...).
I don;t wear ear plugs when in a close riding group... so maybe I keep the WIndblox on one helmet I might use just for group rides...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-12-22, 10:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Badger6
I ride with another American in the local cycling club in my village here…most of them are 40+ former footballers with wrecked knees, but with a lot of money to blow on serious kit and serious bikes. Anyhow, fellow American shows up with a set on his straps and he gets instantly savaged by the guys….he refuses to take them off. I give him brig props. He looks like a Fred between those things, his frame bag, and his mismatched 1990s era kit, but he doesn’t care. And his FTP, verified, is north of 350…so he can do what he wants.

Oh, the point of this, I tried them. They did absolutely nothing. I’m glad they’ve worked out for you and my buddy “Fred”. I’d love to have something to cut out the wind noise.
Sorry to hear that. From my experience, the straps need to be tight to the face - no air gap. Over 20 MPH they are useless. Maybe you just ride too fast?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-12-22, 11:49 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Sorry to hear that. From my experience, the straps need to be tight to the face - no air gap. Over 20 MPH they are useless. Maybe you just ride too fast?
Hmmm. I'm not “fast"...
Old 07-13-22, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
OK, I'm not usually bothered by wind noise at an air speed below 15 mph. Over 20 is where I want wind noise reduction to kick in. And remember, 10 mph into a 15 mph headwind is 25 mph airspeed. So what's the benefit to the Catears again?
Old 07-13-22, 08:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by pdlamb
OK, I'm not usually bothered by wind noise at an air speed below 15 mph. Over 20 is where I want wind noise reduction to kick in. And remember, 10 mph into a 15 mph headwind is 25 mph airspeed. So what's the benefit to the Catears again?
Your a big boy. You can do your own research.

Old 07-13-22, 08:48 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Noise

I purchased the medium version. I was quite surprised at the effectiveness.
My buddy spotted me wearing them, so I installed just one side on his helmet.
He was guessing their purpose and had decided they were to stop the straps rubbing.

2-3 mins later he stops and declares “wind noise, no wind noise”.

So in a blind taste test, one out of one users approves!

Barry
Old 07-13-22, 09:38 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
My experience is similar to others with tinnitus.... I installed the Wind-Blox last week, and so far they seem to help a little, but not enough.

I have tried using regular foam earplugs, but they block too much. I have a set of earplugs with three different filters OTW, and plan to start with the filter than provides the lowest attenuation.
Old 07-13-22, 10:08 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
yeah, like most things, these ways to attenuate wind 'noise' are personal evaluations.
i certainly think it's worth trying any and all to see what might work for each of us. given the cost, the longterm improvements and noise reduction are worth the efforts.
I have not yet tried the 'WindBlox' full ear 'covers', but I have seen 2 riders who were using them. At 1st I thought they were ear warmers, because it was 'winter'. But after a while I relaized they were only lycra/spandex fabric.
I'm gonna 'McGiver' something similar from some spandex I have - give it a try... and report back... my noise reduction requirements are pretty high... it's not just 'tinnitus, I do have some significant hearing lose in the higher audible frequencies... get something cobbled today ! LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: so I just came back from a ride using my McGivered FULL EAR COVERS - like the Windblox full ear covers
made from some spandex I have lying around, only one, relatively thin layer... I'm too embarrassed to post a pic, it's pretty 'Green Acres' looking, but very functional, with no loose ends to interrupt wind flow... and the helmet strap fit snug around the head, so no air intrusion under the strap/cover.
They worked pretty well. Wind noise attenuation was much better than just the helmet strap version, but less 'well' than ear plugs.
Still, here's what I found, on relatively still air sections (so 'apparent' wind speed at the speed of bike) at 10 & below mph wind noise was very low, much lower than without any attenuation. At 12 mph, wind noise became obvious, but not worrying. At 15 it was quite noticeable, about what would be 'without' attenuation at 10 mph. At 17 it wasn't much more than 15. At 20 mph it was annoying again - which happens usually at 15 mph...
it was a sizeable improvement over the helmet strap models.
also, they weren't hot, in spite of some very strong sun... fabric is black spandex...
I think I can 'improve on them, by adding another fabric layer inside. I think 2 layers would work better than just one thicker fabric layer. More attenuation because 2 separate layers might better break up the turbulence reaching the ear... ? gonna give that a shot, will report back...
This is very interesting...
A consideration: is it kookie ? too kookie ? prolly not too kookie for me... LOL!
I really didn;t notice any dis-comfort from the actual wear/use - when I wasn't trying to 'note' the wind noise level, I quickly stopped 'noticing' them...
but coming back into an 8 mph headwind, they didn't attenuate enough - hence adding another layer to see if that can improve the function...
more upcoming in a few days...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-13-22 at 07:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.