Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CF frame in a home workstand - best way to clamp?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-01-16, 09:03 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

What's the best way to put your CF bike into your home workstand? I tried clamping it by the seat post, but there wasn't enough seatpost showing to clamp it. The seatpost is also CF, though.
I ended up clamping it lightly on the top tube - just enough to keep it from swinging, really. All I was doing was putting on some bottle cages and a saddle bag.

I hear horror stories about about clamping and crushing and whatnots - thanks for any info!

I have a Parktool PCS-10 stand.
Bike is a new Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport.
Old 07-01-16, 09:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
I would just extend the seatpost so you had enough purchase to clamp on the post. You can clamp a CF post, and it's for sure lower liability than clamping your frame.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-01-16, 09:12 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
What's the best way to put your CF bike into your home workstand? I tried clamping it by the seat post, but there wasn't enough seatpost showing to clamp it. The seatpost is also CF, though.
I ended up clamping it lightly on the top tube - just enough to keep it from swinging, really. All I was doing was putting on some bottle cages and a saddle bag.

I hear horror stories about about clamping and crushing and whatnots - thanks for any info!

I have a Parktool PCS-10 stand.
Bike is a new Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport.
Either tape/mark the seatpost so you can draw it out to have enough clamping area....or get a stand that uses fork dropouts.

I really would not do what you're doing.
Old 07-01-16, 09:18 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Top tube is bad, much cheaper to replace a crushed seatpost. I use a stand that clamps front fork and frame is supported by BB.
Likes For FeltF2Tarmac:
Old 07-01-16, 09:20 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,518 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I would just extend the seatpost so you had enough purchase to clamp on the post. You can clamp a CF post, and it's for sure lower liability than clamping your frame.
This.
Old 07-01-16, 09:21 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I've read that you can buy a cheap alloy seatpost to use for this purpose. Just do do any sort of heavy duty wrenching work on it.
Old 07-01-16, 09:23 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I've read that you can buy a cheap alloy seatpost to use for this purpose. Just do do any sort of heavy duty wrenching work on it.
this is a good option too.
Old 07-01-16, 09:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I would just extend the seatpost so you had enough purchase to clamp on the post.
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Either tape/mark the seatpost so you can draw it out to have enough clamping area.
Ah - good combo idea. I think I'll do that.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 07-01-16, 10:25 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I just clamp my bike lightly on the top tube, any heavy wrenching I would rather do with the bike on the floor.
Old 07-01-16, 10:53 PM
jerbax18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i use "yakima top tube adapter". google it to see.
Old 07-01-16, 10:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

^
that probably works too.

Really, anything BUT routinely putting a tight clamp on a CF Frame should work just fine.
Old 07-01-16, 11:18 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to actually crush any tube on the frame with the force of a workstand clamp but I also clamp my bike by the seat post regardless of frame material
Old 07-02-16, 12:05 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by john00
i just clamp my bike lightly on the top tube, any heavy wrenching i would rather do with the bike on the floor.
+1
Old 07-02-16, 05:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Perhaps a question of more interest is why your seat post has so little extension. Since most CF frames are compact design with sloping top tube, and you only need about 4 inches exposed for the clamp, that suggests the frame is considerably too large for you. Not a definitive conclusion, but that is my first guess.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-02-16, 07:02 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Perhaps a question of more interest is why your seat post has so little extension. Since most CF frames are compact design with sloping top tube, and you only need about 4 inches exposed for the clamp, that suggests the frame is considerably too large for you. Not a definitive conclusion, but that is my first guess.
It could be that the clamp itself is quite long. My clamp is 4.25" long. The clampable length of my 54cm carbon bike is 4.5", so it's a pretty tight fit to begin with.
Old 07-02-16, 07:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to actually crush any tube on the frame with the force of a workstand clamp but I also clamp my bike by the seat post regardless of frame material
+1 I'd have to be surprised if carbon tubing is really too fragile to clamp in a bike stand that is made to service bikes. Wouldn't Park Tool for example be the first to have disclaimers? OTOH most ParkTool videos always show the seatpost being clamped. Are seatposts generally considered stronger tubing than the frames?

I've never thought about this much before. I've always clamped on the seat tube, and my bikes are Ti with CF seatpost, and Steel with alloy seatpost.

This attached snapshot from the PCS10 PT video makes me cringe a bit.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd would never consider clamping on the seatpost if working on a bike clamped at this angle.
Attached Images
Old 07-02-16, 08:00 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by rms13
Combine carelessness, with high mechanical advantage, add in some country boy biceps and you'd be amazed at what you can break. Had it happen at work yesterday.
Old 07-02-16, 08:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
+1 I'd have to be surprised if carbon tubing is really too fragile to clamp in a bike stand that is made to service bikes. Wouldn't Park Tool for example be the first to have disclaimers? OTOH most ParkTool videos always show the seatpost being clamped. Are seatposts generally considered stronger tubing than the frames?

I've never thought about this much before. I've always clamped on the seat tube, and my bikes are Ti with CF seatpost, and Steel with alloy seatpost.

This attached snapshot from the PCS10 PT video makes me cringe a bit.. Maybe it's just me, but I'd would never consider clamping on the seatpost if working on a bike clamped at this angle.
Yes. Seat posts are designed to survive clamping forces, specifically the collar clamp. Frame tubes are designed to survive normal riding forces, not being crushed in a clamp maw
Old 07-02-16, 08:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yes. Seat posts are designed to survive clamping forces, specifically the collar clamp. Frame tubes are designed to survive normal riding forces, not being crushed in a clamp maw
Ok, but eg. look at this video (at approx. 1:40 into it). "Clamping forces" don't appear are really supposed to be all that great.
Old 07-02-16, 08:13 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

You're not going to crush a CF frame by clamping it hard, but you could induce some micro fractures that propagate over time.
Old 07-02-16, 08:34 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It could be that the clamp itself is quite long. My clamp is 4.25" long. The clampable length of my 54cm carbon bike is 4.5", so it's a pretty tight fit to begin with.

I have a cheap amazon work stand, one of the $80 or so ones, I just cut down my clamp and the soft plastic end pieces to suit my Supersix Evo. I used a slide miter saw to cut the stuff, took all of ten minutes.

Bill
Old 07-02-16, 08:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Agree that seat posts are thicker and stronger than most tubes on a bike but seat post clamps are designed to provide uniform pressure on the seat post. Depending on the clamp you could end up with much higher pressure focussed on a small portion of the clamping surface.
Old 07-02-16, 09:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok, but eg. look at this video (at approx. 1:40 into it). "Clamping forces" don't appear are really supposed to be all that great.
[u rl]https://youtu.be/MfRx0D3iPVc[/url]
Many bike major CF bike labels (all of them?) have clauses in warranties/warnings about not clamping the frame members in workstands. That might be a relic soon to pass-like warranty-voiding clauses about not using CF frames in stationary trainers...or it might not.

IMO, the extra 15 seconds of seatbag removal is worth it to use the post. Course I ride a Ti bike anyway
Old 07-02-16, 12:46 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't clamp my CAAD 10 frame, especially the top tube. Don't want to do that, the top tube is very thin walled. I do, however, regularly clamp my CF seat post. If the seat post is designed to support 200+ lbs, I don't think it's really an issue to suspend an 18 lb bike from it. I try to keep the center of gravity of the suspended bike in line with the upright of the workstand, which is perpendicular to the floor in my case. I raise and lower the bike on the stand, depending on which part of the bike I'm working.
Old 07-02-16, 01:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
sci guy, when you are trying to clamp the seat post, and having trouble finding enough length for the clamp, are you aware you can safely clamp around the upper part of the seat tube where it extends above the top tube? Since the seat tube is supported by seat post inside it, you don't have to worry about crushing it there. On many bikes that will give you another inch or so of area to clamp onto.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Likes For rpenmanparker:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.