Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Just Curious: Who Else Sails?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Just Curious: Who Else Sails?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 02:09 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have sailed in the past, on the Chesapeake Bay. I started out with a little 15' Rebel, then a Catalina 22, and then an Alberg 30. I also enjoyed sailing a little 8' dinghy that I built to use as a tender on the Alberg.

My original plan was to spend a year to get the Alberg into top shape and then sail around in the Caribbean after I retired. Sadly the Alberg wound up needing more work than I was willing to do before retirement and she didn't want to wait long enough for me to retire. So I found it a new home that was ready and willing to give her the attention she needed.

I miss sailing but have not been tempted to make the big plunge on another cruising sailboat. We are not in the greatest location for sailing now. Still, I have been tempted to build or buy a small craft to sail. It would likely be either car top-able or at least towable with a small car.

I used to take my bike along in the Alberg, but only did day rides and errands with it when cruising.
An Alberg 30! I had been considering buying one of those also but ended up getting an Albin Vega instead. Poor choice for a 6'8" tall man!

Have you, by chance been aboard an alberg 37? If I buy another boat again I might choose that model. Not sure what the ceiling height is below decks though. Also heard they are prone to hobby horsing. Did you have issuesvwith the chain plates? That's another thing I didn't like. Needed or not I'd probably opt to relocate the chain plates to the exterior of the hull.

I do admire the Alberg look, though. Very pretty boats IMO.
Old 10-08-17, 02:32 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
Have you, by chance been aboard an alberg 37?
No Sorry can't help there

Did you have issuesvwith the chain plates?
Yes the main bulkhead was suffering from rot and needed replacement. I am sure that was because of the starboard chain plate leaking despite that I never saw any visible leakage when I owned her. As a temporary measure I put plates on both sides of the bulkhead to reinforce it, but the weakening was wider spread than I realized. I decided that replacing the bulkhead was a bigger project than I was up for while I was working and that it wouldn't wait until retirement. That was the reason I let her go.

She was a beautiful craft though and a joy to sail.

To keep this bike related...
Interestingly enough my regular bike fit in the lockers under the seats as easily as my folding bike as long as I took the front wheel off. The folder when folded was too wide to fit through the hatch unless a wheel was removed.
Old 10-08-17, 02:36 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Yes I couldn't agree more! My boat is bleeding me dry haha. Once it sells I will be thrilled to just charter and blissfully pedal away when my time is up. Repairing stuff is right up there on my list of favourite things to do with eating broken glass. Best avoided

I could probably tour for years for what I paid for the boat.

I do miss those rare sunny days with moderate winds though.

Do you ever think about chartering?
No it's a good few years since I sailed and cycle touring is what I do now.
Old 10-08-17, 04:12 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I subscribe to"Good Old Boat" and live vicariously through the stories of others. Cheaper.

I narrowly missed pulling the trigger on a liveaboard after nearly 30 years in the Navy...my esteemed Navy spouse did not share that dream, so cutting grass instead of doing boat maintenance. Lol.
Old 10-08-17, 05:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have sailed in the past, on the Chesapeake Bay. I started out with a little 15' Rebel, then a Catalina 22, and then an Alberg 30...

I used to take my bike along in the Alberg, but only did day rides and errands with it when cruising.
My old man started out in 1969 with a Rebel (made by Ray Greene in Toledo OH) and they were 16' REBEL 16 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com . We also bought a second set of sails for it - specc'd to Venture 17. Bigger jib, smaller main.
After the Rebel came a '67 Islander Bahama 24' that we bought from my dad's cousin who used to race it in the handicapped MORC class racing. Lots of sails. Then a Catalina 30 bought new in '80, and then a Challenger 38 ketch that dad modified into a cutter-rig with a homemade teak bowsprit, double headsails (one roller furling) and a mizzen staysail for ocean cruising.

His plan was to sail it to Europe, store the masts and use it as a river barge for several years, cruising the canals of Europe north or south depending on the season. Then sail to the Caribbean for a year, then sail off to the south Pacific... That was the plan anyway... (long story)
Old 10-08-17, 09:19 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I sail! I have a boat on a local lake that we weekend sail. Seaward 25 that I can trailer and have made some trips with it down to the keys. Here's a recent video of some September sailing we did:

Doing a sailing/biking combo trip sounds interesting...
Old 10-08-17, 09:25 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I bet you'll love touring so much easier!

Even if the whole bike gets stolen or destroyed you're only out a maximum of five grand (usually).
Indeed, I could (but won't) buy 2 high end bikes per year for what it cost to keep the boat. I just sort of burned out on it. I used to enjoy most of the maintenance and projects, but all of a sudden that changed. I do like knowing a bit about a lot of things, weather, wind, Diesel engines, sails (I worked thru school as a sailmaker), electronics, plumbing, rigging, navigation, knots, radio, etc. Owning and conning your own boat across open water to isolated destinations, being off the grid for weeks, dealing with whatever comes your way gives you a certain confidence and self-reliance that makes it all worthwhile, at least to me.
Old 10-08-17, 09:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I have only sailed in the Chesapeake and Pamlico Sound on the east coast. Very pretty but it can be very busy too. The Chesapeake's problem is all of the shallow water. You need to be very careful to know where you are. There can be vast stretches of water from shore that are only a few feet deep. The good news is it is all mud. Some places like harbors and narrows can be very tricky to get into even though marked.

East coast like Maine and such you are dealing with rocks and some pretty significant tides.
We have been all over the Chesapeake and loved it. With all the shoreline, it took a power boat to finish seeing it all...and 30 years. Solomon’s was my favorite port.
Old 10-09-17, 11:54 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Hahaha "old crap" �� I have to ask, what kind of boat?
In my case not a boat, it was an old gaspipe Columbia bike that I had pilfered for parts that matched other bikes I had, gave away on CL so I didn't have to haul it 40 miles to the nearest co-op, and the guy was trying to get $40 out of.

Only boat I own is a kayak. Not rich enough to have a boat moneypit on top of my bike and brewing moneypits
Old 10-09-17, 03:43 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Hahaha "old crap" 😂 I have to ask, what kind of boat?
It was only a West Wight 15, but it was a nice little boat.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-09-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 10:33 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=Stormsedge;19916510]I subscribe to"Good Old Boat" and live vicariously through the stories of others. Cheaper.

GOOD OLD BOAT, the rag cost me a bundle! A saw a Dana 24 on the cover one day and BAM another boat was part of the fleet. Do you know any good reason to own 3 boats at the same time, I couldn't come up with one but it happened anyway (very understanding wife).
Old 10-13-17, 05:51 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
[QUOTE=mbusky;19926525]
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I subscribe to"Good Old Boat" and live vicariously through the stories of others. Cheaper.

GOOD OLD BOAT, the rag cost me a bundle! A saw a Dana 24 on the cover one day and BAM another boat was part of the fleet. Do you know any good reason to own 3 boats at the same time, I couldn't come up with one but it happened anyway (very understanding wife).
LOL. The Dana's are lovely looking boats...I love the lines of so many of the "old" boats. My bucket list includes cruising the Great Loop. I've come to the realization that my wife of +40 years requires more creature comforts than I initially considered...so, that one is at least five years off as I watch for the right time and boat. In the meantime, there are other items on the bucket list to do...more centuries, a USA four corners tour with the top down (purchased a low mileage 00 Mustang convert 2 days ago, so that one coming together), many national parks left to visit...etc. Enjoy!
Old 10-13-17, 06:35 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Old 10-13-17, 09:20 PM
KLOSHE

Bikes: Domane 6.9 , Trek 5200 , Miyata 1400

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
It's the wind

Biking and sailing go hand and hand. Sailors long for a steady 10knot wind, bikers dread it. They are the ying and yang of wind appreciation. Plus they physically complement each other. Nothing better then a 4 hour hard bike ride followed by a relaxing sail. And bikes and sailboats can both be very beautiful: my girls are a pacific seacraft 25 double ender and a domane 6.9.
Old 10-13-17, 11:13 PM
alan s 

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by KLOSHE
Biking and sailing go hand and hand. Sailors long for a steady 10knot wind, bikers dread it. They are the ying and yang of wind appreciation. Plus they physically complement each other. Nothing better then a 4 hour hard bike ride followed by a relaxing sail. And bikes and sailboats can both be very beautiful: my girls are a pacific seacraft 25 double ender and a domane 6.9.
Depends. In a night race this summer, just before sunset we were reaching with the chute maxing out at 17 knots in 25 knot gusts. Not exactly relaxing, but fun. This was on a 34' keelboat. This weekend it looks like 10 knots on Saturday and up to 20 on Sunday, so typical fall weather. Much more physically demanding than cycling in stronger breeze.
Old 10-17-17, 07:58 PM
Sharpshin

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug64
It was only a West Wight 15, but it was a nice little boat.
Owning a West Wight Potter has long been on my bucket list. I'm hoping they aren't the money pit it seems like many boats are. How bad can it be? I could park it in my backyard.
Old 10-17-17, 08:52 PM
Juhan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just about signed on the dotted line for a sailboat this year, but ultimately balked. I think I worry that I will get so into that too that it will leave not time for the biking...oh yeah, and the family:-)