Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 02-19-19, 07:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.
Old 02-19-19, 07:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
That's crazy. He should get at least twenty.
Old 02-19-19, 07:25 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
He's white, I'm guessing the victim here is brown, it's Kansas... not a surprise.
Old 02-19-19, 07:30 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
He's white, I'm guessing the victim here is brown, it's Kansas... not a surprise.
VIctim = Jose Lopez, so quite possibly brown.

Only two years is indefensible.
Old 02-19-19, 08:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,823 Posts
A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS
Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider
Old 02-19-19, 09:11 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.
Here is a comment posted following the article justifying the driver to being a self-appointed public defender:

"This is funny. You guys have no idea why he ran this guy over. That man you guys are defending beat this kids mom almost to death. I don't necessarily blame him to tell you the truth! Please learn all the details. Could he have went about it differently? Yes. That's why he is getting two years. What would you have done in that situation? Don't answer that because you don't know. Nobody does."

Everybody has his excuse for bad driving.
Old 02-19-19, 11:00 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here is a comment posted following the article justifying the driver to being a self-appointed public defender:

"This is funny. You guys have no idea why he ran this guy over. That man you guys are defending beat this kids mom almost to death. I don't necessarily blame him to tell you the truth! Please learn all the details. Could he have went about it differently? Yes. That's why he is getting two years. What would you have done in that situation? Don't answer that because you don't know. Nobody does."

Everybody has his excuse for bad driving.
Good catch. That puts a bit of a different paint job on the matter.
Old 02-19-19, 12:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Crimes of passion do fall under some strange sentencing guidelines.
Old 02-19-19, 05:43 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So I guess the safety message is don't ride your bike around the area where you recently beat someone with a pipe.

scott s.
Old 02-19-19, 06:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The victim mother is white, Jose Lopez is brown, ... not a surprise.
See how well your BS racist claims work!
Old 02-20-19, 07:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS
Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider
He should have been tried for premeditated murder.
Old 02-20-19, 07:23 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ted Bundy should have used a car to kill his victims. He'd probably be back on the streets by now if he had, especially if he wore a seatbelt, used turn signals, and claimed the sun was in his eyes.
Old 02-20-19, 07:26 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
So I guess the safety message is don't ride your bike around the area where you recently beat someone with a pipe.

scott s.
Words to live by my man.
Old 02-20-19, 09:29 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by CB HI
The victim mother is white, Jose Lopez is brown, ... not a surprise.
See how well your BS racist claims work!
A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Pointing out institutional racism is not racist.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.
Old 02-20-19, 10:01 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.
Or maybe instead of assuming most in Kansas are racist, maybe understand that the kid had motive to hurt this guy not because of his color but because of his actions.
Old 02-20-19, 10:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,823 Posts
Generally i avoid stirring the pot but every now and then I see something so ridiculous, so far from any semblance of sense .... I know I must be reading Bike Forum....

A person committing a crime of passion, assaulting the man who badly beat the perpetrator's mother the day before, is not a racist, regardless of the range of skin tones potentially involved.

Are you arguing that only people of a certain skin tone care about their mothers?

And a teenaged male, 17 years of age, seething with testosterone, which causes aggressive behavior, and filled with hatred because he watched his mother get beat, enraged to see the batterer out on bail, and finding himself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when the batterer was on a bike and thus vulnerable---the ten probably was too intimidated to take on the abuser face to face, but now, he had the upper hand .... and note that the teen had a couple of legal scrapes for pot and underaged drinking (pretty normal) but no history of violence at all ..... Notice there was no mention of shade of skin? The story has Nothing to do with race.

The only racist is the person seeking out a racist explanation, and calling everyone else a "racist."

Which is why I am not a racist for pointing out that you are.
Right? Becasue that actually wasn't what happened here ... but like the fake "racism," trope, this is another of your fabrications designed to show how superior You are.

As I explained above, the judge reacted to the facts---the driver had just watched the abuser abuse his mother, the driver was 17, and at an age when there is a Lot more at play than cold, emotionless reading of laws, the driver had no history of violence ... the sentence was light because of what smart people recognize as 'mitigating circumstances.

I am sure if someone sexually assaulted you, and you attacked that person from behind a few days later, you would want the prior act and your otherwise spotless record of non-violent racism to be weighed.

I have already stated that I think the driver should have gotten the minimum, and early release with good behavior. I assume that with a two-year sentence the kid goes from a local ail to a real prison ... and once that happens a ton of damage is done in a hurry. Pretty horrible environment, and it warps people (well ... based on the many convicts I have known pretty well.) Usually local jails have 364-day max, so any sentence of a year or over means the convict goes to prison.

But to ascribe the light sentence to racism, or to deliberately refuse to understand why the sentence was light ... Willful ignorance is the most dangerous disease affecting this nation.
Old 02-20-19, 11:14 AM
ridelikeaturtle

[nevermind].
Old 02-20-19, 12:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The driver that ran over the guy (killing him) that beat his mother might be racist, or not, but the system that gave him a two year sentence for doing it most definitely is. Had the other guy been white as well he would have gotten six years, and maybe after four years served he would be paroled. Denial of the existence of institutional racism is usually quite strident and it always gives me pause. Maybe if we were less quick to jump to our feet insisting there is no such thing operating when all the evidence says there is, maybe if we were less defensive, maybe it would no longer be an issue.
Old 02-20-19, 12:38 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Generally i avoid stirring the pot but every now and then I see something so ridiculous, so far from any semblance of sense .... I know I must be reading Bike Forum....

A person committing a crime of passion, assaulting the man who badly beat the perpetrator's mother the day before, is not a racist, regardless of the range of skin tones potentially involved.

Are you arguing that only people of a certain skin tone care about their mothers?

And a teenaged male, 17 years of age, seething with testosterone, which causes aggressive behavior, and filled with hatred because he watched his mother get beat, enraged to see the batterer out on bail, and finding himself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when the batterer was on a bike and thus vulnerable---the ten probably was too intimidated to take on the abuser face to face, but now, he had the upper hand .... and note that the teen had a couple of legal scrapes for pot and underaged drinking (pretty normal) but no history of violence at all ..... Notice there was no mention of shade of skin? The story has Nothing to do with race.

The only racist is the person seeking out a racist explanation, and calling everyone else a "racist."

Which is why I am not a racist for pointing out that you are.
Right? Becasue that actually wasn't what happened here ... but like the fake "racism," trope, this is another of your fabrications designed to show how superior You are.

As I explained above, the judge reacted to the facts---the driver had just watched the abuser abuse his mother, the driver was 17, and at an age when there is a Lot more at play than cold, emotionless reading of laws, the driver had no history of violence ... the sentence was light because of what smart people recognize as 'mitigating circumstances.

I am sure if someone sexually assaulted you, and you attacked that person from behind a few days later, you would want the prior act and your otherwise spotless record of non-violent racism to be weighed.

I have already stated that I think the driver should have gotten the minimum, and early release with good behavior. I assume that with a two-year sentence the kid goes from a local ail to a real prison ... and once that happens a ton of damage is done in a hurry. Pretty horrible environment, and it warps people (well ... based on the many convicts I have known pretty well.) Usually local jails have 364-day max, so any sentence of a year or over means the convict goes to prison.

But to ascribe the light sentence to racism, or to deliberately refuse to understand why the sentence was light ... Willful ignorance is the most dangerous disease affecting this nation.
Almost without fail, the ones that are so quick to accuse someone of racism are doing it from a vanilla enclave. Weird the way that works out.
Old 02-20-19, 12:59 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
This is the only example of ignorance and racism in this entire thread.
Old 02-20-19, 01:06 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Assertion: institutional racism in Kansas (USA). Evidence: white guy gets 2 year jail sentence for admitted murder of brown man on bike. QED
Old 02-20-19, 01:11 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This is the only example of ignorance and racism in this entire thread.
Except it's not.

A lot to unpack here, and none of it is worth unpacking. The "racism" in this thread is directly in the denial of "institutional racism" in this sentencing for murder. It's been a problem in the US for decades.
Old 02-20-19, 01:12 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 02-20-19, 02:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Except it's not.

A lot to unpack here, and none of it is worth unpacking. The "racism" in this thread is directly in the denial of "institutional racism" in this sentencing for murder. It's been a problem in the US for decades.
And as bad as it is over here, our blacks aren't fleeing to the vanilla enclave that is Ireland. Why is it that you think your country's population is just 1% black? Obviously it's because they aren't welcome over there right?
Old 02-20-19, 02:28 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
There have been many injustices when looking at convictions and sentencing. No one is saying racism doesn't exist in the justice system. But there is no hard evidence this is the case here. You can't just say well he only got two years prison, the justice system must be racist, and because Kansas. Quite a few mitigating factors. I've seen plenty of 'misjustices' where there was no difference in race between the victim and perp.

If anything socio-economic status seems to be the larger factor then race. If you're rich, you can **** a 3 year old and get no jail time. You can run over people drunk and kill and get rehab.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.