Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2020 Randonnees

Old 04-14-20, 09:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I wish that worked for me, either the netflix is too interesting to keep going or too boring
Old 04-14-20, 05:05 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Yeah I can handle the netflix if I am JRA in zwift, I tried it today rewatching community, and kinda just plodded along in the game. I turned it off next ride and did more work in that hour so I dunno. I am going to try one of the zwift workouts on thursday and see how that treats me.
Old 04-14-20, 05:17 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I wish that worked for me, either the netflix is too interesting to keep going or too boring
I can do shows while doing base miles, but I put on the next episode of something while doing a race in Zwift and, uh, I am going to have to watch that again because I have no idea what the TV was doing.

I have done commercials intervals when watching broadcast TV -- plod during the stuff you want to watch, go hard for the commercials. Especially entertaining when watching live sports, because a time-out might mean back-to-back intervals unexpectedly.
Likes For antimonysarah:
Old 05-04-20, 12:26 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
This month my local Audax club is up to another indoor challnge, this time a total virtual mileage challenge totalling 300km, 600km or 1000km by the end of May.

300km in a month is quite easy to hit, and 600km can be done with a somewhat regular Zwift riding schedule. 1000km - I'm imagining there'll be some nutters who will try to do it in one setting and depending on how I feel (was a bit under the weather last week), I might end up trying to be one of those nutters.

But on the bright side of things, my country's government has relaxed the movement restriction order somewhat and we can now cycle outside, with appropriate social distancing guidelines and a maximum of 10km from home, so maybe I'll go out instead during the weekend.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 06-03-20, 11:04 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

New month, new audax schemes. My local audax is now proposing a ride-your-own-200k for the month of June - you plan your own route, submit it to them and (if approved), up to 8 riders can do the route and get homologated. Seems like it's got some traction with a number of rides planned this weekend, but interstate travel is still banned in my country so that kind of limits route options. On the other hand, restrictions are tentatively planned to be lifted on June 9 subject to how the ongoing pandemic develops, so I'm going to hold off until after that date to decide on route and participation.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 06-15-20, 10:00 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
The local cycling body sent out notification early last week that we could have rides again with small groups, then "back pedaled" by Friday. I think the government was vague with their non-competitive sports recommendations then clarified later that no type of group cycling would be allowed.

My riding has been quite a bit different this year, mostly doing 2.5 to 3 hour rides around the city filling in my Strava heatmap. I managed to cover nearly all the roads in the city for the 3rd time. The Wandrer.earth site makes a nice challenge out of staying near home, filling all the roads around you. They recently did a map so I've been tracking down a few roads that I missed, as my completion dropped from 99.9% to just 99.7.

edit: And they changed their mind again this morning. Organized cycling is now permitted locally with 4 meter spacing (and a covid-19 liability waiver).

Last edited by gecho; 06-15-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 09:05 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Did a solo 225k ride yesterday. Not any official BRM, but I suppose practically no difference since the reason I rode was to complete a 200k this month, official or no. The route I chose was front-loaded, hilly for the first half and flat during the second. Good thing I set it up this way, I paced way too hard at the beginning and my legs were hurting pretty much the entire second half of the ride. There was even a short section where I got caught up in the middle of a fast group and, since it was along a narrow stretch of road I stuck with them instead of letting the entire group pass me (at least until the junction where we headed separate ways). No cramping though, even though muscles threatened to, I made sure to do lots of low torque, high cadence pedaling to deal with it.

But overall was a pretty good experience of bad pacing and how not to pace a 200k, lol.

The lockdowns in my country are not fully removed yet though, just loosened. I went through a total of five police checkpoints throughout the route. No issues for me, they seem to just wave cyclists past, but motor vehicles all got questioned. Also had to get my temperature taken and scan a QR code with my phone every time I went into a store, even just for some water. A necessity, but still an annoyance nevertheless.
Old 06-29-20, 08:41 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
I rode a solo 200k Saturday.

Overall it went quite well, I felt like I paced things pretty good and ate and drank well. Hit a wall with an hour to go that made the last little bit kind of miserable, but I felt great the vast majority of the day.

Had a few moments of confusion with the cue sheet having a few wrong directions but nothing too bad. It was a little frustrating since ~40 miles or so were on the Fox River Trail and Prairie Path and there were a few detours that weren't the easiest to follow with only a odometer and cue sheet. I'm also on the fence about how I feel about so many miles on a MUP - on the one hand it was nice to have 3 hours that I didn't have to worry about traffic, on the other it was quite crowded and the constant slowing or stopping for road crossings got really old.

But hey, I'm glad that I finally got in a 200k this year, I had aspirations of doing a bunch of them but the whole COVID thing really took the wind out of my sails.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 06-29-20, 09:33 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
But hey, I'm glad that I finally got in a 200k this year, I had aspirations of doing a bunch of them but the whole COVID thing really took the wind out of my sails.
Have you done any GLR rides? We ran a 600k out of Woodstock over the weekend. I had a family commitment so wasn't able to do it myself.
Old 06-29-20, 09:38 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by kingston
Have you done any GLR rides? We ran a 600k out of Woodstock over the weekend. I had a family commitment so wasn't able to do it myself.
I've done 4 or 5 rides with them, I think. This was the Fox River Ramble out of Woodstock as well.
Old 06-29-20, 09:52 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've done 4 or 5 rides with them, I think. This was the Fox River Ramble out of Woodstock as well.
Gotcha. I I'm not a big fan of using long stretches of the Fox River Trail for brevets either. We did one earlier this year and there were a bunch of flooded sections we had to detour around which made it even worse.
Old 06-29-20, 10:05 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by kingston
Gotcha. I I'm not a big fan of using long stretches of the Fox River Trail for brevets either. We did one earlier this year and there were a bunch of flooded sections we had to detour around which made it even worse.
It's certainly making me reconsider a 207k loop I had planned out from Monroe WI that loops up to Fitchburg and over to Dodgeville via the Badger State, Military Ridge, and Cheese Country trails. It wouldn't have all the road crossings that the Fox River Trail does, but that's still a whole lot of time to be on a MUP. Especially since it looks like it's mostly lined on both sides with trees. I've got a feeling it might get pretty boring.

*edit* Oh it looks like a lot of it is crushed limestone, too, so it might be a bit of a slog.
Old 06-30-20, 09:35 AM
clasher

I rode one of my existing local brevets and had a good time doing so, carried 7L of water and a bunch food with me but still had to stop at one shop for some pepsi since the heat was getting to me a bit. All the usual outhouses in the parks along the route weren't available which is really annoying but I got lucky with a gas station that brought one in for their customers, so I bought some pepsi from them too.

Toward the end of the month I did a new local 300 and a 200 that were both scheduled for this year but not run; they are awesome routes. The 300 has an 80km section along the shore of Lake Erie so it was mostly headwinds but still quite scenic. The winds did end up being a tailwind most of the way home so that was nice. The 200 is mostly through a county with a mandatory mask order, and it's mostly rural so there wasn't many people in the shops I stopped at. I wear a neck buff on these rides, double-up over my mouth it's an effective enough mask for me.

I have to get out and finish the second half of another 300 I started riding but I turned for home at the half-way point as I'd broken a spoke and I'm glad I did since my shifter broke at the 180km point of this ride... I neglected to do a rebuild on this bike over the winter and now a bunch of mechanical issues have popped up.
Old 07-01-20, 08:28 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
It's certainly making me reconsider a 207k loop I had planned out from Monroe WI that loops up to Fitchburg and over to Dodgeville via the Badger State, Military Ridge, and Cheese Country trails. It wouldn't have all the road crossings that the Fox River Trail does, but that's still a whole lot of time to be on a MUP. Especially since it looks like it's mostly lined on both sides with trees. I've got a feeling it might get pretty boring.

*edit* Oh it looks like a lot of it is crushed limestone, too, so it might be a bit of a slog.
As part of my bike shutte/IAT hiking, I was on the Badger State and Sugar River trails a couple years ago. If it has recently rained, you likely will sink into the trail and find the progress slow. It was so bad on the Badger State trail when I did it, that I had to ride on the roads in the area instead.

I've also been avoiding MUP this year due to the crowds. I feel safer on the roads.
Old 07-01-20, 08:31 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
If it has recently rained, you likely will sink into the trail and find the progress slow. It was so bad on the Badger State trail when I did it, that I had to ride on the roads in the area instead.
That's really great to know, thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 08:49 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
abshipp and for the record, my experiences were on my Trek bike with the 35mm tires!
Old 07-01-20, 02:12 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
abshipp and for the record, my experiences were on my Trek bike with the 35mm tires!
Oh lord, I've only got 38s!
Old 07-02-20, 08:59 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Interestingly, for this month of July my local audax club is trying to start doing BRMs again -- more specifically, BRM400 and BRM600 at the end of the month. But to comply with the current local restrictions, almost everything is do-it-yourself. "Collect the brevet cards on your own, there will be no one at the checkpoints so find a shop to stamp it for you (or get a receipt), send a photo of the brevet card via phone once you complete the ride."

The 600k route looks relatively easy, practically can be considered pancake flat. I guess it's to ease people back in since there will be a lot of randonneurs who are no longer in peak form compared to the Before Times (I'm probably not too, since the most I've done is a 200k). If there's decent amount of participation I guess I'll join as well.
Old 07-03-20, 05:33 AM
clasher

Originally Posted by atwl77
Interestingly, for this month of July my local audax club is trying to start doing BRMs again -- more specifically, BRM400 and BRM600 at the end of the month. But to comply with the current local restrictions, almost everything is do-it-yourself. "Collect the brevet cards on your own, there will be no one at the checkpoints so find a shop to stamp it for you (or get a receipt), send a photo of the brevet card via phone once you complete the ride."
That's how our brevets work here, except at the start there was someone handing out cards. We rarely get more than a dozen riders so we've never had much in the way of support at checkpoints.
Old 07-23-20, 08:31 AM
clasher

I did a pre-ride for the second 300K I'd designed to start in my home town, this one is much hillier than the one that goes down to Lake Erie... this one is called the Nassagaweya 300 and it briefly dips down to Lake Ontario before heading back into the rolling hills of the Niagara Escarpment. It was pretty warm and humid last Saturday when I did this ride, I started at 6am with a slight SW wind helping me along but that wind ended up being a real pain by the end of the day. I tweaked something in my knee at the last control in the aptly named Hillsburgh so I rode the last 80km in agony, and I even cut off 8km to get home quicker. It's a good route, I ended up with ~2700m instead of ~2200, usually I end up pretty close to what rwgps says but have noticed my bolt recording much lower that my partner's when we ride together. I'm not too worried about it but this 300 felt closer to 2700m so who knows. I might tweak the route a tiny bit since it goes past a really busy conservation area but there's also a grocery store there but there's a few other options for stops so it's not essential. I don't know if I'd put this on the schedule in the summer, it was pretty tough with half the ride being over 30C and very muggy. I like the heat but I know a lot of people aren't into it... who knows what I'll cook up for next year. I am hoping to get a 400 I designed ridden this year but I gotta watch my knee now. Our club has been given the go-ahead to run an official 400 and 600 so that's gonna be pretty sweet, the 600 starts near me so that's a bonus.

Likes For clasher:
Old 07-26-20, 09:47 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I did the 600K this weekend. Weather forecasts predicted a very wet ride, so I packed extra gloves and socks, in addition to an extra change of clothes for the overnight.

It started pretty cool in the morning before heading right into some rolling hills of the rural countryside until near the coastline, where there was a bit of constant head wind all the way up north. At least it was mostly flat along this route. Late morning and afternoon was pretty hot and this killed my appetite and ability to take in sold foods so I resorted to liquids as well as some "light" solids (mashed potatoes at KFC, instant cup noodles at petrol stations, etc). It rained later that evening which made progress a lot bearable, and then at the 320km checkpoint there was constant streaks of lightning in the sky which made me decide to find a budget hotel and spend a couple of hours to shower and rest.

Woke up and left the hotel at 2am, very nice and empty streets which was a nice contrast to the usual busy traffic of town. Unfortunately the lockdowns in my country are, although loosened but still very much in place, so there was practically nothing between midnight to 6am in the morning. So I had 4 hours of riding until I could finally find a small local place for breakfast. After that, it was back into hilly roads heading south back to the starting point, and back in hot sun again. What's worse, my feet were beginning to hurt pretty badly, probably due to a poor fit with my new shoes. I did ride with these shoes for the last few months, but apparently issues really start to show up only after 200-300km. Both toes were hurting as well as my right ankle. Too bad Garmin services are down at the moment, I would have loved to see what my left-right power ratio was like during this time.

The skies darkened during the last 20km, and then last 6km was a heavy downpour. Ended the ride cold and completely drenched. I started on Saturday morning at 5:04am and finished on Sunday 6:05pm, so effectively 37h 01m elapsed time. Not great, but apparently I was among the earliest to finish. There was another small group who finished at 5am, and then the next ones came at around 3pm. After that they may have been one or two more riders before me, but the bulk of the group arrived after me.

Starting point at 5:04am.

Not bad for a budget hotel. Nice bed, and warm shower!! Only thing missing was toothbrush and toothpaste, which I had to get from a nearby store.

Sunday morning view. Another 200+ kms to go.

Hot weather! And I had to go sock-less due to pain in both toes.

Finally done and dusted!

Likes For atwl77:
Old 08-10-20, 10:15 AM
clasher

Finished my first official brevet of the season, a 600K that started near home. I had a friend come from out of town and the route was a 385K back to the start/finish and 220K on the last loop. The route used two existing brevets and was flushed out to 600K connecting them. The second part was based on my Sandhills 200K that is pretty hilly (for Ontario) so that was a bit cruel, since it has as much climbing as the first half. We had a great ride, chose to start at 0400 since the ACP has given a lot of latitude with start time/date so it was just the two of us.

The weather on Saturday was cool to start, 8C but it quickly got up to 28-30C by mid-afternoon. The humidity wasn't too bad and the wind was pretty mild too. The route follows the Grand river downstream to Lake Erie and along the shore for a while until the Welland Canal, then across the Niagara peninsula and through wine country with a bit of climbing up and down the Niagara escarpment. There's a nice stretch along the shore of Lake Ontario in the city of Hamilton before climbing back up the escarpment one last time and heading back to the overnight through rolling terrain punctuated by drumlins to keep things interesting with some short, steep climbs. We hit a bit of gravel to avoid some busy roads snaking our way around the cities and traffic. We made it back to the overnight with over 6 hours in the bank so I got over 4 hours of sleep (never had that on a 600 yet) as well time to use a massage gun (so awesome, might get one) and get a nice bit of food into me.

The second day started at 0500 which gave us 5h32m to cover ~75km to the next control. Around 0530 the sky started to light up with lightning and we ran into some thunderstorms but managed to avoid most of the rain until 630 or so, but it was 16C or something so it wasn't too cold and the roads were very quiet. We made the first control with more than 2 hours to spare and sat under the canopy of a gas station for a while and set off while it was still raining. Luckily for us, the rain was heading south-east and we were going slightly north-east so the rain let up shortly after the first control and we dried out and had a cafe stop about 45km from the next control since good coffee was needed after the gas station stop. The cafe had a huge outdoor patio set up in their parking lot so we never had worry about social distancing or anything. Unfortunately all the rain meant a lot of humidity and temperatures cracked 30C so it was really muggy too. We had a good bit of a tailwind heading east, but the route turned north-west for ~50km and a fair chunk of climbing, so we dropped the pace a bit had a couple of short stops before rambling to the finish.

Ended up doing it all in 37:25, 610km and 4067m, according to my bolt. Rwgps had ~3600m on the route so who knows what was right, my friend's garmin recorded ~4200m. It's all photo-controls and e-pop now, so one doesn't have to enter shops to get signatures. I kind of like that, but I still stop and buy stuff instead of carrying all my food/water. I'd need panniers for the amount of stuff I eat

The Grand river at dawn, was a cool morning at 9C

The day warmed up quickly, still following the river downstream

The Welland Canal at Lake Erie

Old Robin Hood flour mill, with some new stuff

Farm bridge provided a nice detour. Wine grapes growing in the background

Rain on sunday morning

At the Grand River again, ~40km left

1890s Covered bridge, last one in the province

Last edited by clasher; 08-10-20 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For clasher:
Old 08-10-20, 10:31 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by clasher
Ended up doing it all in 37:25, 610km and 4067m, according to my bolt. Rwgps had ~3600m on the route so who knows what was right, my friend's garmin recorded ~4200m. It's all photo-controls and e-pop now, so one doesn't have to enter shops to get signatures.
Nice ride. Rain often screws with recorded elevation, so the more rain the less I would trust Garmin's final readout.
For my previous 600k, my audax club used QR codes, so we just scan the code printed on banners placed at the start of the ride and then at the finishing point. Unfortunately requires everyone to have a smartphone capable of reading QR codes and a data plan though (but then again, the smartphone does make entering stores a whole lot easier as we need to do the whole contact tracking/tracing thing, and screenshots from those store entry scans are also pretty effective proof-of-arrival material).

Last edited by atwl77; 08-10-20 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 09:26 AM
clasher

Originally Posted by atwl77
Nice ride. Rain often screws with recorded elevation, so the more rain the less I would trust Garmin's final readout.
For my previous 600k, my audax club used QR codes, so we just scan the code printed on banners placed at the start of the ride and then at the finishing point. Unfortunately requires everyone to have a smartphone capable of reading QR codes and a data plan though (but then again, the smartphone does make entering stores a whole lot easier as we need to do the whole contact tracking/tracing thing, and screenshots from those store entry scans are also pretty effective proof-of-arrival material).
Ya, elevation from other riders was all over the place, 3750 to 4300m, seems like the average was around 4000m. The strava elevation correction gave 4500m which was too much so I didn't keep that number, it usually adds to my rides when I click it. The first part of the ride is really flat since it follows a slow river downsteam and the along the lake shores is flat too. I was just under 25 hours riding time so felt pretty good about being efficient at the controls. We had 5 or 6 riders on this ride so it's too much work to setup anything like QR codes for us. The gov't has a covid tracking app but it's voluntary and it drains my phone pretty quickly since it's bluetooth based. The cycling association that oversees our club activities just requires the GPS tracks after the fact, we accept self-signed cards and a photo for the control. The other riders started later than us too since we can space out the starting times to keep people socially distant.
Old 08-24-20, 08:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I finally rode a perm under the new rules yesterday, 200k RUSA #2276 ZigZag. 204k with 6228 ft climbing. The first third was flat, the last third was flat to downhill. You can guess what the middle third looked like. This was my first RUSA event since a 1000k last September, which came on the heels of PBP. Up until the pandemic shut things down, my excuse was a broken neck, which happened last October.

With distance to/from the start, it was a 147 mile day, which is my longest ever on a non-recumbent bike.

In past years, riding a 'bent among uprights, bystanders would ask "what's that like to ride?" My stock response was something like, "see all these other guys? When we're done they will have sore butts and hands and backs, and my legs will be tired. Yep, pretty much confirmed that yesterday. Ouch.

I need to either get things improved, or upgrade my bad-a$$ery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.