Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does biking help with pull ups?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does biking help with pull ups?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 05:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Band exercises were just eccentric internal and external rotation. Not much adding of weight. The multiple sets is something that was unchanged before and after the spike in biking.
But you have kept up with the multiple daily sets of pull-ups, even with adding bicycling. That specific strength training what is giving you improvement in that specific strength. The general fitness might have a little impact, but hardly meaningful compared to your diligent specific strength training.

If you'd seen weight loss fun bicycling, that would definitely have an impact on pull-ups. But you haven't seen that- probably me likely stable weight with some replacement of body fat for lower buddy muscle (maybe some core), but that can't really be recruited for pull-ups.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-21-21 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 05:54 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
But if you have kept up with the multiple daily sets of pull-ups, even with adding bicycling, I still think that specific strength training what is giving you improvement in that specific strength. I ride a lot in the summer a lot and xc ski in the winter a lot. Neither has improved my pull-ups. Because neither works those muscles.
But I did those similar sets before the uptick in bicycling also. And that didn't move the needle.
Likes For burritos:
Old 02-22-21, 09:19 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
At 20, I could do 20 with 25lbs on me.

After a decade of rock climbing, I could do 12 but also a one arm on the right and nearly a one arm on the left. I was climbing consistently 5.13.

At 42, I can't do any. I climb mid 11 and sometimes more.

My cycling and riding have never been too much effect on my pull-ups. Having a youthful and energetic body though...
Old 02-22-21, 11:02 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
At 20, I could do 20 with 25lbs on me.

After a decade of rock climbing, I could do 12 but also a one arm on the right and nearly a one arm on the left. I was climbing consistently 5.13.

At 42, I can't do any. I climb mid 11 and sometimes more.

My cycling and riding have never been too much effect on my pull-ups. Having a youthful and energetic body though...
Wow! 5.13's. That's crazy in my eyes. 5.11's is still quite impressive. I can flash 5.10c's 40% of the time. Maybe was able to do an 11a once. I suppose pull up strength isn't totally vital in the ability to climb. Hmm. I guess I'll have to come up with some other etiology for my count discrepancy.