Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus Tara Titan coming up this summer

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-24-21, 06:26 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts

Everybody knows the Tubus Tara lowrider, the classic CrMo front tack that now comes with a light mount as well.
A couple of years ago they introduced the polished stainless steel version, the Tubus Tara Edelstahl, of which I haven't seen many reviews.

And for 2021 they are introducing the much lighter Tubus Tara Titan which is made from Titanium. Bloody expensive of course, but it might be interesting if you are looking for a 200 grams (7.05 oz) weight savings at the same (rated) carry capacity of 18 kg (39.6 lbs) for a total rack weight of 300 g (10.6 oz).

Pricing in Germany is:
  • Tubus Tara
    • Black = €55 ($67)
    • Silver = €55 ($67)
    • Big Apple = €55 ($67)
  • Tubus Tara Stainless
    • €81 ($100)
  • Tubus Tara Titan
    • €250-300 ($300-366), unknown pricing right now. I've only seen them as a placeholder in a Dutch shop.
I ordered the stainless steel version for my Koga-Miyata "Graveller" to match my Velo Orange canti rack but I wonder if anybody is curious about these. Would a 200 grams (7.05 oz) weight savings appeal to you?

Pics of the stainless steel version incoming when I receive it.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-28-21, 05:56 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
I've used a Tara for a number of years, and it's already rather light, so for me, that money could go towards lighter tires, spokes, panniers, tent , campmat etc.

interesting that a titan one is available, but boy that's a lot of money.

Plus, over here, a regular Tara costs about 150 Canadian dollars.
Likes For djb:
Old 05-28-21, 11:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I agree, steel racks on my titanium bike are good enough. But a titanium bike would certainly look good with titanium racks. You have to look good out there on a bike tour.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-28-21, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You have to look good out there on a bike tour.
+1. I certainly try. It's one reason I shave my legs and wear stuff that matches/goes together.
Old 05-28-21, 04:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by djb
I've used a Tara for a number of years, and it's already rather light, so for me, that money could go towards lighter tires, spokes, panniers, tent , campmat etc.

Plus, over here, a regular Tara costs about 150 Canadian dollars.
I suspect it will come down some in price over time but it's definitely expensive. My guess is that it allows for a more positive comparison to bikepacking setups. And some bikepacking bags can be even more expensive than these racks.

Next time you look for a new Tubus rack try looking at some German retailers. Even with shipping and taxes it might save you quite a bit. Same for tyres and dynamo hubs.

@Tourist in MSN we all want that combo of the perfect Ortlieb color with your dogs face printed on it, as if it were tattood like the hard-ass they/you are.
Old 05-28-21, 05:32 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Or, to put it another way, lose half a pound (227 grams) and save $300 for the same bike and rider weight.
Old 05-28-21, 06:39 PM
djb

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I suspect it will come down some in price over time but it's definitely expensive. My guess is that it allows for a more positive comparison to bikepacking setups. And some bikepacking bags can be even more expensive than these racks.

Next time you look for a new Tubus rack try looking at some German retailers. Even with shipping and taxes it might save you quite a bit. Same for tyres and dynamo hubs.
oh I agree on how some bikepacking stuff is rather expensive also, and thanks for the recommendations of German retailers. Yes, the price differences can be rather astounding sometimes, especially when sales are on.
Likes For djb:
Old 05-29-21, 06:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Two of my racks were shipped from Germany, over a decade ago you could order Ortliebs from Europe and that is where my Ortliebs came from. I even bought my Rohloff from a German internet seller, plus some dynohubs and other misc. supplies and components.

Decades ago when camping gear cost a lot more than it does now when measured in hours of wages needed to pay for it, a lot of us made stuff ourselves. I bought a discounted double A frame tent that was missing the tent fly, made the fly myself and I still have a down vest that I made. The vest, I do not recall if it was Frostline kit or Holubar kit.

From what I have seen, some bike-packers have been doing a lot of DIY frame bags and other misc supplies.
DIY / Make Your Own Gear (MYOG)
Old 05-29-21, 07:02 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
oh I agree on how some bikepacking stuff is rather expensive also, and thanks for the recommendations of German retailers. Yes, the price differences can be rather astounding sometimes, especially when sales are on.
Check out https://www.bike-components.de/en/

The America market markup on Ortlieb/Tubus is about 100%. I got my stainless steel tara for less than what the street-price chrome-steel version costs in the USA.
Old 05-30-21, 10:22 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Check out https://www.bike-components.de/en/

The America market markup on Ortlieb/Tubus is about 100%. I got my stainless steel tara for less than what the street-price chrome-steel version costs in the USA.
thanks
Old 05-30-21, 04:31 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by tourist in msn
you have to look good out there on a bike tour.
+ 100
Old 05-31-21, 05:27 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Well, the stainless steel Tara came in and it's more of a blasted finish. Not bad but I am sort of contemplating giving it a polish.

Better pictures tomorrow once I get outside in the sun again but just to give you an idea.

EDIT: The rack seems to be made from stainless steel tubing but the mounting holes for the struts and light do slightly react to a magnet.

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-31-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-31-21, 05:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Some stainless has slight reaction to magnets. And sometimes I have noticed that a weld can be more magnetic.

My titanium bike has a finish that looks like someone at the factory went over it with a scouring pad, factory calls that finish industrial mill.

And that is a very nice finish for a bare metal bike frame because it hides scratches very well.

Before you polish your rack, think about what it would look like after a few scratches from bike racks, etc. Would polishing it make scratches and day to day wear look worse?
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-01-21, 07:55 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Well, the stainless steel Tara came in and it's more of a blasted finish. Not bad but I am sort of contemplating giving it a polish.

Better pictures tomorrow once I get outside in the sun again but just to give you an idea.

EDIT: The rack seems to be made from stainless steel tubing but the mounting holes for the struts and light do slightly react to a magnet.

I see that you use Schwalbe's aerothan tubes. What patch kit do you use? (1) Looks as if Schwalbe's is out of stock; (2) I read somewhere that Park's self-adhesive patches work fine (!?)
Old 06-01-21, 08:04 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by gauvins
I see that you use Schwalbe's aerothan tubes. What patch kit do you use? (1) Looks as if Schwalbe's is out of stock; (2) I read somewhere that Park's self-adhesive patches work fine (!?)
This is my first one and I mostly bought it as a spare. If it rides well I might use them as standard on my next bike. But yeah, they seem to be sold out here in Europe as well. Perhaps some production delays?
Old 06-01-21, 08:10 AM
djb

I have to say that I still really like the aesthetics of the Tara rack, an added bonus of why I got one (the shape I mean). Plus of course it works really well and I knew I'd be using only Ortlieb panniers on it, so I didn't need the hook add on thing.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-01-21, 08:13 AM
gauvins

But yeah, they seem to be sold out here in Europe as well. Perhaps some production delays?
Only place I could find is Merlin.
Old 06-01-21, 08:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
I have to say that I still really like the aesthetics of the Tara rack, ....
I like the Tara rack too, but I have found that it did not fit well on some of my bikes. It has only minimal adjustability.

Tubus used to make a rack called the Ergo, that had two sets of mounting points on the hoop instead of one set for the horizontal bars to attach to, that fit much better on one of my bikes.

I bought a Tara to use on a different bike and it fit so poorly, I ended up putting the Tara on the shelf and buying a different rack for that bike.

Later, when I built up my titanium bike with a LHT fork on it, the Tara fit nicely on that so I finally found a place to use it.
Old 06-01-21, 10:58 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I like the Tara rack too, but I have found that it did not fit well on some of my bikes. It has only minimal adjustability.

Tubus used to make a rack called the Ergo, that had two sets of mounting points on the hoop instead of one set for the horizontal bars to attach to, that fit much better on one of my bikes.

I bought a Tara to use on a different bike and it fit so poorly, I ended up putting the Tara on the shelf and buying a different rack for that bike.

Later, when I built up my titanium bike with a LHT fork on it, the Tara fit nicely on that so I finally found a place to use it.
ya, when I got my Troll and was considering racks, I specifically went with models that I had seen used successfully on other Troll touring setups. Figured that would be the best thing, go with what worked for others--specifically the rear rack, due to the mountain bikey shaped frame, so a rear rack that has longer mounting stay thingees is important. I had seen numerous folks using the Logo, so went with that, plus I liked the lower rail to lower the pannier weight-with the downside of a smaller top rack area compared to the Cargo.
Old 06-09-21, 01:54 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I promised some more and better pictures of the stainless steel Tubus Tara. So here they are.
If anybody is interested in any other close-up pictures just let me know. I'll gladly shoot some more.

One thing to note is that the horizontal struts are designed for M5 bolts and I had to drill them to the larger M6 bolts my bike used.

(Less shiny than the polished stainless steel of the VO rack but not annoyingly so)

(Sandblasted finish looks rougher up close than from a distance)

(Overview of the bike with all its racks)
Old 06-09-21, 04:58 PM
gauvins

Could you elaborate a bit on your rear rack? (what model, what capacity, why not a "conventional" rear rack?)
Old 06-10-21, 01:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by gauvins
Could you elaborate a bit on your rear rack? (what model, what capacity, why not a "conventional" rear rack?)
It's a Carradice Bagman QR Expedition with support. It's sort of what the Erlen saddle bag support was designed for as well. This one has a 10Kg (22 lbs) weight capacity but it can be increased with some extra struts.
Basically it's a support for a (larger) saddlebag. I use mine with a Carradice Super C (23L / 1403 cu inch) but there are tons of other options like a Swift Zeitgeist and many others.

I ride this bike with a front bias, so with a rando bag in the front + two smaller panniers and a saddlebag in the back. A frame bag is coming up. It's slightly more aerodynamic and I like the saddlebag for ease of access while riding. It's really easy to strap extra things to it as well.
Plus I think it looks cool.

But a saddlebag like this mostly rides really nicely because it is in line with your center of gravity on the bike. So you hardly notice it while riding.

Here is a different bike with the same bags and rack: