Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Just Curious: Who Else Sails?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-06-17, 09:19 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems like I'm not the only one into touring and sailing. I've met a few guys just over the last few months that enjoy cruising as well as two-wheeling. It'd be great to meet some from the Americas. Would love to do some combination cycling/sailing trips in the future as singlehanding no longer appeals.

Just thought I'd ask.
Old 10-06-17, 10:26 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Yep, we sail and bike (and ski tour etc.). We're in the interior so, obviously, have to charter on the coast or more tropical locales.
Old 10-06-17, 10:59 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Yep, we sail and bike (and ski tour etc.). We're in the interior so, obviously, have to charter on the coast or more tropical locales.
Nice! Have you ever owned a boat? I'm trying to sell mine. It's a money pit among other things. Starting to think chartering is the way to go. Let someone else do the maintenance.

Where have you chartered? I was in St Martin late last winter. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have scrapped the plans to buy a boat and just enjoy a few weeks of consistent winds. Live and learn I guess.
Old 10-06-17, 11:12 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I sail, mostly weekend racing now out of Annapolis, but not in conjunction with bike touring. A couple summers ago I combined racing in Newport and touring in Cape Cod, enjoying two of my favorite activities. Years ago, I used to cruise more, but really don't have the time any longer. Lots of similarities in terms of planning, organizing and preparing for contingencies. Dealing with weather and navigation are also somewhat similar.
Old 10-06-17, 11:30 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I sail, mostly weekend racing now out of Annapolis, but not in conjunction with bike touring. A couple summers ago I combined racing in Newport and touring in Cape Cod, enjoying two of my favorite activities. Years ago, I used to cruise more, but really don't have the time any longer. Lots of similarities in terms of planning, organizing and preparing for contingencies. Dealing with weather and navigation are also somewhat similar.
Too busy with work these days? How is it sailing on the East coast? Probably a lot more serious than in BC I'd imagine. Probably beautiful though.
Old 10-07-17, 02:49 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I was in the merchant navy (marine) for 14 years and bicycles were often used but more for getting round the ship. After I left I had a 27ft. sail boat that I used to sail up and down the coast on but never sail-cycled. The cost of running a boat eventually forced me to sell and subsequently I took up cycle touring.
I've seen the references to commercial river cruising and cycling day trips and canal barges/pleasure-cruisers invariably carry bikes. One of the attractions for me of independent cycle touring is the low cost and given the high cost of sailing the idea of combining the two doesn't appeal.
Old 10-07-17, 05:23 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I have sailboat, a Freedom 33. Haven't used it much in the past couple of years, since I've been spending 3 months of the past 2 summer touring in Europe. I'm afraid next summer will much of the same as I have plans for another summer tour.
Old 10-07-17, 06:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I have sailed in the past, on the Chesapeake Bay. I started out with a little 15' Rebel, then a Catalina 22, and then an Alberg 30. I also enjoyed sailing a little 8' dinghy that I built to use as a tender on the Alberg.

My original plan was to spend a year to get the Alberg into top shape and then sail around in the Caribbean after I retired. Sadly the Alberg wound up needing more work than I was willing to do before retirement and she didn't want to wait long enough for me to retire. So I found it a new home that was ready and willing to give her the attention she needed.

I miss sailing but have not been tempted to make the big plunge on another cruising sailboat. We are not in the greatest location for sailing now. Still, I have been tempted to build or buy a small craft to sail. It would likely be either car top-able or at least towable with a small car.

I used to take my bike along in the Alberg, but only did day rides and errands with it when cruising.
Old 10-07-17, 06:31 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Look at my username. Where do you think it came from?

I used to sail a lot. Had a small cruising boat on a local lake. It is two hours from here got tired of all of the work prepping the boat each year and putting it away. Plus driving up there and no wind would really stink.

I also sailed larger boats on the Chesapeake and in the BVI. I would go 2-3 times a year to the Chesapeake and once a year to the BVI. I have sailed there at least 15 times. My crew started getting older. It was getting to the point where I had to do everything myself. I remember once coming out of Galesville, MD, I had a big jenny on coming down the south river. I told my crew to watch for traffic, it was very busy and I could not be ducking my head below the jib every 2 minutes. Well I decided to duck my head and there was a Boston Whaler anchored not 100 yards from us right in our path. I could see the concerned faces of the 2 men in the whaler. That was pretty much it for me with big boats. You need to be able to trust your crew especially when you are sailing other people's boats only a few times a year.

I actually got into bicycling because of sailing. I got interested in sailing the small boats like Lasers at a resort in Antigua that was centered around sailing. I have been there several times. It was a blast. One day I watched some older man in his 70s really tearing it up on a Laser. I decided that I wanted to be that guy one day. But I stepped on a scale and realized there was work to do. I bought a bicycle and well there is the rest of the story.

Last edited by spinnaker; 10-07-17 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 06:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I have meet a number of live aboards during my sailing days that had bicycles aboard. Usually folders but sometimes full sized bicycles.
Old 10-07-17, 06:45 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by TallTourist
How is it sailing on the East coast? Probably a lot more serious than in BC I'd imagine. Probably beautiful though.

I have only sailed in the Chesapeake and Pamlico Sound on the east coast. Very pretty but it can be very busy too. The Chesapeake's problem is all of the shallow water. You need to be very careful to know where you are. There can be vast stretches of water from shore that are only a few feet deep. The good news is it is all mud. Some places like harbors and narrows can be very tricky to get into even though marked.

East coast like Maine and such you are dealing with rocks and some pretty significant tides.
Old 10-07-17, 10:36 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I have sailed on the past, but I sold my boat about 17 years ago.

I was browsing bikes on CL about a month ago, when I opened boats just out of curiosity. What a surprise, there was my boat for sale. The real surprise was that the guy was asking $1000 more for it than he bought it from me; and he didn't even change the name!
Old 10-07-17, 11:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I live where there is a weekly sailing race, Columbia River Estuary, but I don't do so myself, Just too expensive..

Break Out Another Thousand

Old 10-07-17, 11:26 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
We have a 13M steel sailboat. Crossed the Atlantic several years ago. Now on the Med. As others have said, a boat is insanely expensive to maintain and requires lots of maintenance labor. We were OK with it for 10+ years, spending entire summers on the water. Now we either plan for a significant relocation (not trivial) or to resell it (apparently the secondary market has improved...). Girls have voted for a summer on the water in 2018. So it'll be a short spring bike tour, and we'll see about the future.
Old 10-07-17, 11:57 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I used to sail. Stepfather had a 41' yawl. He sailed all over the Pacific and I made the leg from Hawaii to California. TBH it was kind of rough for me as a teenager - boring, stir-crazy, **** food, and cold salt water bathing. And Jaws had just come out and we watched it right before we set out - that was probably a mistake.

But there are few experiences like seeing land after 20 days at sea, having avoided the giant sharks.

If I were to bring a bike on an ocean cruise it would be a cheap aluminum junker. Steel rusts so fast out there. You'd have to keep everything slathered in grease.
Old 10-07-17, 02:48 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I've been a sailor since the early 70s. Just sold my Catalina 380 earlier this year after owning it for 15 yrs. prior boats include a Catalina 34, Catalina 27, Santana 20 & Laser. I used to race but dropped most of that in the late 80s. Still do an occasional race every year or so on a friend's Capri 25. I've done offshore BVI to Bermuda and Cape Cod with friends a couple times. Have also chartered in BVI and French Polynesia (Raiatea and Bora Bora).

Used to take a two week cruise to the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara every summer for many years.

Love it, but I'm enjoying the break from boat ownership right now. Have not done any bike touring yet but working out a 3 or 4 day credit card tour next year maybe.
Old 10-07-17, 03:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
and he didn't even change the name!
Well of course not. Bad luck! Duh!

But you can change the name by offering a fine bottle of liquor to Neptune and request permission to change the name. But it always best not to tempt the gods. Best leave the name alone.
Old 10-07-17, 03:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I was browsing bikes on CL about a month ago, when I opened boats just out of curiosity. What a surprise, there was my boat for sale. The real surprise was that the guy was asking $1000 more for it than he bought it from me; and he didn't even change the name!
Always odd when you see someone selling your old crap on CL!
Old 10-08-17, 12:33 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been a yacht builder for most of my life and sailed quite a bit when younger. There were several trans-Atlantic crossings and many cruises to Bermuda and the Caribbean. The East Coast is a great place to cruise for weeks at a time. There are many fine and picturesque harbors in interesting villages, good restaurants and a long seafaring history. In my immediate area, coastal Rhode Island and southern coastal Massachusetts, my favorite bike rides have fine views of Buzzards Bay and the Elizabeth Islands, Cuttyhunk, Marthas Vineyard and others. The Maine cost has too many harbors and islands to mention but cruising those waters is very popular. One could sail there for half a lifetime.
Old 10-08-17, 01:34 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
I was in the merchant navy (marine) for 14 years and bicycles were often used but more for getting round the ship. After I left I had a 27ft. sail boat that I used to sail up and down the coast on but never sail-cycled. The cost of running a boat eventually forced me to sell and subsequently I took up cycle touring.
I've seen the references to commercial river cruising and cycling day trips and canal barges/pleasure-cruisers invariably carry bikes. One of the attractions for me of independent cycle touring is the low cost and given the high cost of sailing the idea of combining the two doesn't appeal.
Yes I couldn't agree more! My boat is bleeding me dry haha. Once it sells I will be thrilled to just charter and blissfully pedal away when my time is up. Repairing stuff is right up there on my list of favourite things to do with eating broken glass. Best avoided

I could probably tour for years for what I paid for the boat.

I do miss those rare sunny days with moderate winds though.

Do you ever think about chartering?
Old 10-08-17, 01:40 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I have only sailed in the Chesapeake and Pamlico Sound on the east coast. Very pretty but it can be very busy too. The Chesapeake's problem is all of the shallow water. You need to be very careful to know where you are. There can be vast stretches of water from shore that are only a few feet deep. The good news is it is all mud. Some places like harbors and narrows can be very tricky to get into even though marked.

East coast like Maine and such you are dealing with rocks and some pretty significant tides.
Sounds like a tricky place for a rookie. I'm so spoiled in BC. We have our challenges but nothing like most other places.
Old 10-08-17, 01:42 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Always odd when you see someone selling your old crap on CL!
Hahaha "old crap" 😂 I have to ask, what kind of boat?
Old 10-08-17, 01:46 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I've been a sailor since the early 70s. Just sold my Catalina 380 earlier this year after owning it for 15 yrs. prior boats include a Catalina 34, Catalina 27, Santana 20 & Laser. I used to race but dropped most of that in the late 80s. Still do an occasional race every year or so on a friend's Capri 25. I've done offshore BVI to Bermuda and Cape Cod with friends a couple times. Have also chartered in BVI and French Polynesia (Raiatea and Bora Bora).

Used to take a two week cruise to the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara every summer for many years.

Love it, but I'm enjoying the break from boat ownership right now. Have not done any bike touring yet but working out a 3 or 4 day credit card tour next year maybe.
I bet you'll love touring so much easier!

Even if the whole bike gets stolen or destroyed you're only out a maximum of five grand (usually).
Old 10-08-17, 01:53 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I used to sail. Stepfather had a 41' yawl. He sailed all over the Pacific and I made the leg from Hawaii to California. TBH it was kind of rough for me as a teenager - boring, stir-crazy, **** food, and cold salt water bathing. And Jaws had just come out and we watched it right before we set out - that was probably a mistake.

But there are few experiences like seeing land after 20 days at sea, having avoided the giant sharks.

If I were to bring a bike on an ocean cruise it would be a cheap aluminum junker. Steel rusts so fast out there. You'd have to keep everything slathered in grease.
Wow you've had some interesting experiences!

Yeah I think the only practical way I could combine the two activities is to leave the bike ashore while out on a bareboat charter. My bike's so huge it'd always be in the way otherwise

I've heard a lot of people doing the ride to Argentina cross the Darien Gap via sailboat but that must be annoying as all hell unless they are huge boats. Can you imagine ? Sure couldn't do that on my tiny boat.
Old 10-08-17, 02:02 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Look at my username. Where do you think it came from?

I used to sail a lot. Had a small cruising boat on a local lake. It is two hours from here got tired of all of the work prepping the boat each year and putting it away. Plus driving up there and no wind would really stink.

I also sailed larger boats on the Chesapeake and in the BVI. I would go 2-3 times a year to the Chesapeake and once a year to the BVI. I have sailed there at least 15 times. My crew started getting older. It was getting to the point where I had to do everything myself. I remember once coming out of Galesville, MD, I had a big jenny on coming down the south river. I told my crew to watch for traffic, it was very busy and I could not be ducking my head below the jib every 2 minutes. Well I decided to duck my head and there was a Boston Whaler anchored not 100 yards from us right in our path. I could see the concerned faces of the 2 men in the whaler. That was pretty much it for me with big boats. You need to be able to trust your crew especially when you are sailing other people's boats only a few times a year.

I actually got into bicycling because of sailing. I got interested in sailing the small boats like Lasers at a resort in Antigua that was centered around sailing. I have been there several times. It was a blast. One day I watched some older man in his 70s really tearing it up on a Laser. I decided that I wanted to be that guy one day. But I stepped on a scale and realized there was work to do. I bought a bicycle and well there is the rest of the story.
Yeah you're obviously a sailor haha.

I know what you mean about trusting your crew. People I've sailed with so far tend to get distracted too easily and all of a sudden you're effectively single-handed. Not good in our log infested waters.

Antigua hey? Nice. I definitely want to check that place out. The Caribbean seems like its best seen from a boat. Sure wouldn't catch me riding there! haha maybe the larger islands are better but St Martin had some sketchy roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.