Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The di2 thread

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The di2 thread

Old 04-09-18, 06:08 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The di2 thread

Hello all, I’ve searched for di2 info and started a few threads of my own but you have to do a lot of digging to find what you’re looking for, so I thought I would start this post with a few things I’ve learned and hopefully some of you guru’s can add your knowledge here. I can’t take credit for all of this as much of what I’ll add came from others.

Re-center front derailleur.
I moved my di2 from my old frame to my new, the front derailleur trim was all the way inboard as far as it would go and I still needed a couple more steps.
-What I did:
1 placed it in big ring/big cog, then went to trim mode and went outboard 12 steps on the front der to get it back to center.
2 cancelled trim mode.
3 went to big ring/little cog and adjusted the high.
4 went to little ring/big cog and adjusted the low.
5 went to big ring/big cog, then back to trim mode, then adjusted inboard a couple steps. This was my original problem it was pegged out inboard and I needed a couple more steps to prevent rubbing (even though I rarely use this combo)

- the Shimano tool you might need to insert or remove your cables is Shimano TL-EW01 Di2 Wiring Plug Tool. I’ve done it with needle nose pliers but they suggest using this tool. When inserting make sure you push until you feel a “click”.

- if you install yourself something I’ve learned is you don’t have to connect your cables to your J box or A box in any certain order, just shove them into whatever port you want and the system will figure it all out.

- Park tool makes a nifty little tool set you can buy that makes running cables much easier. It’s a little pricey but if you’re gonna do it more than once it might be worth it. You can find it here

One more thing I thought I would add is when researching this I found that you don’t have to have e-tube to put your bike into synchronized shifting mode. You can do it by pressing the button on the bottom of the A box. Press twice and the lights come on steady, this means you’re in manual mode. Quickly double press again and the lights blink twice telling you you’re now in semi synchro mode. Press twice again and the lights blink 3 times, now you’re in full synchro. I tested it and it works.

Some helpful links:
Shimano e-tube manual pdf
A good Di2 installation article
Di2 crash recovery mode
Ultegra 8050 di2 manual pdf
A thread about rear derailleur di2
Shimano tech doc search
Ultegra 6870 di2 manual pdf

I’ll add more as I discover them but if anybody has some wisdom or articles to share please do.

Last edited by MikeOK; 04-10-18 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 01:09 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks for the followup. It is rarely as complicated as it originally seemed. Although how Shimano can
create a tech doc near 200 pages long on Di2 stuff and never mention that all ports (with one exception
on brifter) are equivalent is a mystery to me.
Old 04-10-18, 05:51 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Here's one. Can i run di2 with just the climbing or sprint buttons only. No brifters.
And would it be cheaper?
Old 04-10-18, 10:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Here's one. Can i run di2 with just the climbing or sprint buttons only. No brifters.
And would it be cheaper?
My understanding is that using a climbing button would only shift the rear.

It would be cheaper but if you don't run brifters then how are you going to stop?

-Tim-
Old 04-11-18, 09:50 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Climbing buttons are RD only as supplied. In theory one could use the Etube soft ware to reprogram a
climbing button set up to shift the FD but no one has commented on this particular mod. ie the
shimano etube literature seems to suggest this might be feasible. dunnoh....

As to cheaper, maybe $50-150 but rigging the buttons would require some compromises on a drop bar
and how acceptable that would be is problematic. On a flat bar it is great IME.

Last edited by sch; 04-11-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Alfine 11 speed Di2, looks interesting , the cable pull length between gears apparently is short, so the stepper motor seems like a good thing.

Looks like it is retrofittable on the IGH.. too;
Old 04-11-18, 10:25 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And would it be cheaper?
Individual components will work by themselves. This is one of the diagnostic features of DI2. A fully functional component should pass all of the test tests on the computer that's running Shimano's DI2 software on. In a set of circumstances you will need a junction A and Junction B. For the most part its just a matter of daisy chaining components together into a workable order. The DI2 system is a fairly rudimentary dumb computer system. The only component that locks you into a DI2 system are the derailleurs that determine whether your bike is a 10 speed or 11speed DI2 bike. Other than that everything is compatible for DI2 road except the first generation 7970 Dura Ace DI2. You can even put 9070 components on a 6770 bike once you have the front and rear derailleurs and the basic firmware wont know any different. You just wont get the 11th gear.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 04-11-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 12:39 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Climbing buttons are RD only as supplied. In theory one could use the Etube soft ware to reprogram a
climbing button set up to shift the FD but no one has commented on this particular mod. ie the
shimano etube literature seems to suggest this might be feasible. dunnoh....

As to cheaper, maybe $50-150 but rigging the buttons would require some compromises on a drop bar
and how acceptable that would be is problematic. On a flat bar it is great IME.
So no huge savings.
I ride the drops mostly so i thought i could position the shifters better.
And it is the front shifting i am most interested in. Am i rght in thinking that is where the biggest improvement over mechanical is.
Old 04-11-18, 02:17 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So no huge savings.
And it is the front shifting i am most interested in. Am i rght in thinking that is where the biggest improvement over mechanical is.
Personally, I have one bike that's full Di2 6870, and another that's a mix 5800/6800 with the new 5801 FD (similar to 9100/8000/7000). For me, the biggest difference is rear shifting, but I live in a fairly flat area and don't get out of the big ring much. It's crisp, quick, hassle free, no need to worry about barrel adjusters... it just works. With the new design of the front derailleur, it's really not as big of a difference aside from you don't have to move the lever at all to shift into the big ring with Di2. The new mechanical FDs are actually a big improvement over the original 11s design.
Old 04-11-18, 03:17 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So no huge savings.
In my opinion yes, the front is best because it auto trims itself depending on which cog you’re in. So you can use all 22 gears. You don’t use them all with synchro turned on, you really don’t need to. But as far as I’m concerned both front and back are great, in fact I think it’s the biggest bike advancement in 50 years.
Old 04-11-18, 03:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@MikeOK

I've had Di2 since 2014, and I still learned a lot from your post. Many thanks!

Is there a similar procedure for re-centering the rear derailleur? Mine is almost at one extreme.
Old 04-11-18, 03:48 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
@MikeOK

I've had Di2 since 2014, and I still learned a lot from your post. Many thanks!

Is there a similar procedure for re-centering the rear derailleur? Mine is almost at one extreme.
I was thinking about this when I made my first post, but didn’t include it because I’m not sure, haven’t tried. But I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the same. Maybe someone who’s done it will chime in.
Old 04-11-18, 04:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I thought it couldn't be done (and asked and got that answer here before), so I think you discovered something new. Did you just figure this out the hard way, or is it documented somewhere?
Old 04-11-18, 04:55 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
I thought it couldn't be done (and asked and got that answer here before), so I think you discovered something new. Did you just figure this out the hard way, or is it documented somewhere?
Actually I started another thread asking about this and the responders gave me a lot of resources and that’s how I stumbled upon the solution. I’ve never been able to find this exact fix anywhere and I’ve done a lot of digging, but I can’t take all the credit the guys gave me enough help that I was able to finally stumble onto this fix. And it took a little trial and error.
Old 04-11-18, 05:04 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@wgscott I gave it a little thought, and I’m pretty sure you can do this to re-center the rear, in fact it might be simpler than the front. Just go into trim mode, move it as many steps as it takes to get back to center, cancel trim mode, then adjust your high and low. I bet that will work.
Old 04-11-18, 05:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
In my opinion yes, the front is best because it auto trims itself depending on which cog you’re in. So you can use all 22 gears. You don’t use them all with synchro turned on, you really don’t need to. But as far as I’m concerned both front and back are great, in fact I think it’s the biggest bike advancement in 50 years.
As note that Di2, at least in the recent software, may lock out certain gear combo’s, so crank and cassette dependent, you may not be able to shift the system to all 22 gears. You sometimes have to cheat the system somewhat and tell it you are using a 53/39 crank and 12-25 cassette (regardless of what you have), then set to manual mode and Gear Position to Not Set, in order to get the rear derailer to the 2 smallest cogs.

I discovered this in January while setting up a 50/34 crank and 11-23 (11 spd.) cassette, that I could not access the 12 or 11 cog, even in manual mode or Gear Position Off, while in the 34 small ring. Issue 1 was Shimano has discontinued the 11-23, so it doesn’t even show up in the E-Tube settings as a cassette to use.

Note that this may be a moot point if desiring to use Synchro, as the gear chart in E-Tube shows, you have other ring/cog choices to get the same gear inches you would find in the 34/12 and once you figure out where the shift points are, it shifts the system for you when you need the next available gear.

And cheating the system by indicating a crank/cassettes that you are not using only rears it’s head if viewing the gear positions on a Garmin head unit or some such, otherwise the system doesn’t care what you actually have in use, as long as you configure chain length correctly.

I have my system set to Full Synchro and so far am happy with it. I switched to a 14-28 cassette, live in the big ring most of the time, have no need for a 50/11 anyway, so am pleased with how it all works. I like having the Gear Position on the Garmin 1000, means I don’t have to look back at the cassette to see what gear I’m in.

I have noted though, that using BT on the Di2 battery in a constant link to the Garmin while riding, does use up DN110 battery life, when it went from 100% to 90% in about 5 riding hrs. (As displayed on the Garmin) Not linking BT to the Garmin showed no add’l battery drain over the next 5 hrs.
Old 04-11-18, 05:19 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steve thanks for adding. My knowledge is limited to my Ultegra 6870 50x34, 11x32. In manual on the original frame I could get all my gears, but after moving it all to a new frame I would get slight rubbing when in big ring/big cog. That is what prompted me to start the original thread. I was pegged out inboard and even though I rarely cross chained like that it bothered me that it wasn’t perfect. Since I started using synchro I really only need it re-centered because that’s just how it should be.

Last edited by MikeOK; 04-11-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 11:19 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have noted though, that using BT on the Di2 battery in a constant link to the Garmin while riding, does use up DN110 battery life, when it went from 100% to 90% in about 5 riding hrs. (As displayed on the Garmin) Not linking BT to the Garmin showed no add’l battery drain over the next 5 hrs.
Its the same as any computer. Leave the bluetooth on, on your phone and it will eat batteries also. Its a service that is running on your bike. It's great if you want to connect to the Shimano app or connect to other devices but otherwise its just going to sit there being a battery hog.
Old 04-12-18, 06:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Rear can be re-centered.

There are 33 steps in the 6870 rear derailleur adjustment. Put it in adjustment mode, adjust the derailleur all the way to one side and then move if 16 steps to the other side. It will then be centered.

Then just follow the FD-6870 dealer manual exactly. Set it up as if you were installing a new derailleur for the first time and it will be fine.

-Tim-
Old 04-13-18, 07:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I'm probably not being clear.

What I was hoping to do is re-center the window for adjustment with respect to the cassette, so that after the derailleur is perfectly adjusted with respect to cog #6, it will have 16 steps available to each side. On one wheel-set, I have 3 or 4 clicks remaining; on my other wheel-set, I have none remaining.
Old 04-14-18, 08:29 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m pretty sure we are understanding you wgscott. When you have your trim set centered on cog 6 it will be centered on every other cog as well. And you’ll have 16 steps of trim adjustment each way. I have two rear wheels as well and mine are different maybe 4 trim steps, even the high and low are a tad different. I’m running an el-cheapo wheel right now and I can’t get it to go into the #11 cog without chattering no matter what I do, it works fine on the better wheel. So I’m gonna wear this one out then change it all.
Old 04-14-18, 09:46 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

OK, I will try it again. I am clearly missing something.
Old 04-19-18, 08:22 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wgscott - did you get it to work? I had to do my front again because I adjusted the preload on my BB.

I have an e-tube question for you guys, I am trying to lower the cog that prompts a ring downshift and it won't let me. Right now it lowers my chain ring when i go from my second cog to my big cog, and I want it to shift down when go from my 3rd to my 2nd. I am able to move how many cogs that the rear moves (I went from 3 to 2) but it won't let me change when it shifts. I was able to change where it up shifts to the big ring.
Old 04-20-18, 07:35 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To add to the discussion one thing I was wondering is if the Bluetooth unit would work in a titanium seat post and yes, it will. But when I paired to it my iPad it lost it's connection in the middle of updating the firmware and completely locked it up. I couldn't get the lights on the a box to light and it wouldn't shift. I unhooked everything and reconnected, still nothing. I called a bike shop and they told me I would have to take it there and they would hook it up to some gizmo that only dealers have. A few minutes ago I went out to the shop and connected my pc to it. Then I was able to reset the Bluetooth settings and now all is well. I can now connect with both my iPhone and my iPad. Still trying to figure out how to make it downshift in a higher gear.
Old 04-21-18, 02:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
To add to the discussion one thing I was wondering is if the Bluetooth unit would work in a titanium seat post and yes, it will. But when I paired to it my iPad it lost it's connection in the middle of updating the firmware and completely locked it up. I couldn't get the lights on the a box to light and it wouldn't shift. I unhooked everything and reconnected, still nothing. I called a bike shop and they told me I would have to take it there and they would hook it up to some gizmo that only dealers have. A few minutes ago I went out to the shop and connected my pc to it. Then I was able to reset the Bluetooth settings and now all is well. I can now connect with both my iPhone and my iPad. Still trying to figure out how to make it downshift in a higher gear.
This need to be a sticky and as Timothy H wrote:

"Firmware updates on any device require the device to be rebooted. Rebooting the wireless unit interrupts wireless communication to the unit and so the final part of the update cannot complete. A wired connection is much more reliable for reestablishing connection to a device which is rebooted. Always use a wired connection for updating wireless unit firmware.'

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...es-anyone.html

Not sure about the downshifting. Are you stating it will not shift at all to higher gears ?, or you are locked out of the 2 highest gears ?, which is normal Di2 behavior.
SB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.