Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Temporary, Partial GAP Closure

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-30-20, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts

Just saw on FB that, starting Nov. 16th, the GAP will be closed between Buena Vista and Port Vue to accommodate a project to install municipal sewer lines under the trail. The project will also include the repair or replacement of culverts that divert stormwater runoff under the trail along with trail surface replacement.

Closure is expected to last until at least April 15, 2021, and possibly a bit longer.

You can probably find the full story posted on the official website.

That is all.
Old 10-31-20, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Looks like that closure will start sooner and end later than the yearly Big Savage Tunnel closure..
Old 10-31-20, 06:22 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Is there a detour?
Old 10-31-20, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Is there a detour?
None has been posted because of very hilly terrain and narrow roads.
Old 11-07-20, 02:35 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts

Ride this prime location while it is open.
Have just finished the GAP.
Old 05-03-21, 12:01 PM
csport

Reopened on May 1.
https://gaptrail.org/trail-info/trail-alerts
Old 05-03-21, 03:48 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Good to know..

I'm / we're still a little concerned about the Paw Paw Tunnel closure and having to hike two fully loaded (4 panniers per) bikes over the detour trail. Haven't found much with respect to personal reviews of that experience. Sounds do-able, but not much fun.

Last edited by fishboat; 05-07-21 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 07:35 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Paw Paw tunnel is open as of a few days ago when I rode through.
Old 05-03-21, 09:07 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by alan s
Paw Paw tunnel is open as of a few days ago when I rode through.

Hmm.. Per gaptrail.org it's(the path) closed until mid 2022..

NOV 25 2020 | C&O Canal Towpath's Paw Paw Tunnel to Close; Detour Posted

On November 25, the National Park Service announced an immediate closure of the northern entrance of the Paw Paw Tunnel to protect travelers on the C&O Canal Towpath from falling rocks near the tunnel's northern approach. The NPS anticipates this closure will last until mid-2022.

According to the NPS, "during construction, visitors can walk into the Paw Paw Tunnel when approaching from the south but will not be able to continue past the north end of the tunnel. ...

Cyclists may walk their bikes up and over the Paw Paw Tunnel using the Tunnel Bypass Trail,

FEB 22 2021 | C&O Canal Towpath's Paw Paw Tunnel to Close-Detour Posted

On November 25, the National Park Service announced an immediate closure of the northern entrance of the Paw Paw Tunnel to protect travelers on the C&O Canal Towpath from falling rocks near the tunnel's northern approach. The NPS anticipates this closure will last until mid-2022....

Per nps.gov:

Paw Paw Tunnel Scaling Project

A 2020 current conditions image shows a rock slide from April 2016 near the northern (downstream) entrance of the tunnel. The current scaling and repair project is one to prevent rock slides like this in the future and to remove debris from the canal prism.NPS | Joe Reed, Park Engineer

The Paw Paw Tunnel is currentlyopen. However, the towpath just downstream is closed.

When will the project begin and end?

Construction for the interim slope stabilization at the north portal of the Paw Paw Tunnel began in June of 2017 and was completed in July 2019. The current design build contract, awarded in September 2020, will continue with addressing rockfall hazards and aim to remove rock and debris caused by the rockslide of 2016. This work will also address the timber boardwalk portion of the towpath by removing and replacing it. A design-build type of procurement facilitates the contractor’s team to complete the design/permitting, as well as construct the fix. Once the ongoing design is completed and permitted, construction is anticipated to begin in 2021 and extend into 2022.This work will provide long-term safe passage through this stretch of towpath. The National Park Service is doing everything possible to minimize closure time and impacts to visitors.

Alan..did you ride the towpath downstream of the tunnel?
Old 05-03-21, 10:04 PM
csport

Originally Posted by fishboat
I'm / we're still a little concerned about the Paw Paw Tunnel closure and having to hike two fully loaded (4 panniers per) bikes over the detour trail. Haven't found much with respect to personal reviews of that experience. Sounds do-able, but not much fun.
I had to do it in 2017 when then tunnel was closed as well. You will likely have to walk the bike both up and down. Totally doable, just set aside an hour or so.
Old 05-03-21, 11:02 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by fishboat
Hmm.. Per gaptrail.org it's(the path) closed until mid 2022..

NOV 25 2020 | C&O Canal Towpath's Paw Paw Tunnel to Close; Detour Posted

On November 25, the National Park Service announced an immediate closure of the northern entrance of the Paw Paw Tunnel to protect travelers on the C&O Canal Towpath from falling rocks near the tunnel's northern approach. The NPS anticipates this closure will last until mid-2022.

According to the NPS, "during construction, visitors can walk into the Paw Paw Tunnel when approaching from the south but will not be able to continue past the north end of the tunnel. ...

Cyclists may walk their bikes up and over the Paw Paw Tunnel using the Tunnel Bypass Trail,

FEB 22 2021 | C&O Canal Towpath's Paw Paw Tunnel to Close-Detour Posted

On November 25, the National Park Service announced an immediate closure of the northern entrance of the Paw Paw Tunnel to protect travelers on the C&O Canal Towpath from falling rocks near the tunnel's northern approach. The NPS anticipates this closure will last until mid-2022....

Per nps.gov:

Paw Paw Tunnel Scaling Project

A 2020 current conditions image shows a rock slide from April 2016 near the northern (downstream) entrance of the tunnel. The current scaling and repair project is one to prevent rock slides like this in the future and to remove debris from the canal prism.NPS | Joe Reed, Park Engineer

The Paw Paw Tunnel is currentlyopen. However, the towpath just downstream is closed.

When will the project begin and end?

Construction for the interim slope stabilization at the north portal of the Paw Paw Tunnel began in June of 2017 and was completed in July 2019. The current design build contract, awarded in September 2020, will continue with addressing rockfall hazards and aim to remove rock and debris caused by the rockslide of 2016. This work will also address the timber boardwalk portion of the towpath by removing and replacing it. A design-build type of procurement facilitates the contractor’s team to complete the design/permitting, as well as construct the fix. Once the ongoing design is completed and permitted, construction is anticipated to begin in 2021 and extend into 2022.This work will provide long-term safe passage through this stretch of towpath. The National Park Service is doing everything possible to minimize closure time and impacts to visitors.

Alan..did you ride the towpath downstream of the tunnel?
Yes, of course.
Old 05-04-21, 05:28 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by alan s
Yes, of course.
Dumb question I know, but it needed to be asked.

Well, we have plenty of time yet..we'll have to keep an eye on things...thx.
Old 05-04-21, 09:08 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
I am looking forward to the day -
when they close I-495 for 6 months -
to build a bike trail.
Old 05-04-21, 03:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I am looking forward to the day -
when they close I-495 for 6 months -
to build a bike trail.
Not sure how that's relevant. I know they've shut down at least one interstate (I-40 in NC east of the TN line) because landslides blocked the road, and then closed off one lane for 8 months or so to get the rest of the mountainside stabilized. They needed the other lane for equpment; the section of the GAP north of the tunnel doesn't look like there's room for earth moving equipment, and no margin for error if cyclists happened to be downhill if another slide came down.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-04-21, 08:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not sure how that's relevant. I know they've shut down at least one interstate (I-40 in NC east of the TN line) because landslides blocked the road, and then closed off one lane for 8 months or so to get the rest of the mountainside stabilized. They needed the other lane for equpment; the section of the GAP north of the tunnel doesn't look like there's room for earth moving equipment, and no margin for error if cyclists happened to be downhill if another slide came down.
I started this thread. The work needed was to benefit both the local communities and the trail itself. Sometimes you need to shut things down to make improvements. The work is now completed save a few last minute items and the closed section open. All accomplished during an off-peak time.
Old 05-05-21, 05:27 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I started this thread. The work needed was to benefit both the local communities and the trail itself. Sometimes you need to shut things down to make improvements. The work is now completed save a few last minute items and the closed section open. All accomplished during an off-peak time.
Indeed true. We rode the section Sunday. I was a bit concerned that after the pipe installation that the trail would be not returned to it previous state. In fact, the section is much improved, wider, drainage and culverts improved, and the surface is better than before. A job well done and the GAP is back! We saw more than a hundred out riding/walking it.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 05-06-21, 08:12 PM
alan s 

I rode the section of the GAP yesterday where the pipe was installed and it is very nice indeed. It rained hard in the area from Rockwood to West Newton, and I think my bike was carrying a couple pounds of grit from the GAP. The repaired section was completely dry and smooth.