Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 06-11-21, 10:11 AM
urban_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

SE Lager

There are a lot of sweet bikes in this thread. I enjoy drooling all over myself while looking at all the eye candy. I envy all the folks who are capable of doing a complete built.
Likes For urban_cyclist:
Old 06-12-21, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Originally Posted by urban_cyclist
SE Lager

There are a lot of sweet bikes in this thread. I enjoy drooling all over myself while looking at all the eye candy. I envy all the folks who are capable of doing a complete built.
No need to envy just go ahead and do it. Save up some money and live the dream. The nice thing with single speed and fixed gear is that you can get pretty nice parts for not a ton of money. Derailleurs and shifters at the top end cost a lot of money. You can also find some decent stuff in the mid range or at least find some clean looking stuff.

For example:
Andel Deluxe crankset (w/BB), EAI Deluxe cog, Dura Ace Lockring, H+Son/Gran Compe wheelset, Cane Creek 40 headset, a decent entry level drop bar from Deda, FSA, Nitto (or swap it for a cheaper bull horn or flat bar or something), a decent black or silver stem, Lizard Skins 2.5, Sram Apex brakes (or similar) SRAM S500 levers (because they are super comfortable), A decent entry level black or silver seatpost, Vittoria Zaffiro Pro V G2.0 tires and tubes will run you around $1035 from Retrogression and will get you a pretty neat custom built bike on whatever frame you choose and the parts on it may not be high end they are not low end and would give you some solid riding and a cool looking bike. Granted yes 1k can be a lot of money to plunk down but I can pay with PayPal through them and use the Pay in 4 (if you qualify) so 259 every two weeks which isn't as terrible.

Plus you might have some parts laying about that you want to swap over to the new bike or you might find some cool used parts (I found some older Dura-Ace calipers for about the same as 1.5 of the Apex calipers I spec'd above from Retrogression years ago) or you might decide to go a little cheaper on some parts. I certainly went a little nicer on the levers, cranks and bar tape than you might want but in the end but you get a cool build you can show off without going super duper crazy like I did.

You can also go crazy and spend money, why not, get a bike you enjoy and will ride a lot. See if your local shop works with any financing companies and finance it if need be especially if you can get zero interest for 6-12 months, You live only once so why not have a nice bike or two or three or more. If you are good with budgeting and managing credit and such you can do great things or if you buy parts slowly over time you can make it happen more easily. Nothing wrong with a complete bike sometimes but if you know what you want or have a particular look or feel in mind chances are most companies may not quite see eye to eye and building a bike from frame up is freakin' awesome. I bought a bike recently that had to come complete but I wish I could have done it from the frame (and a few key components) up. There are some definite things I have or am changing to make it work better for me.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
This is the most expensive fixed gear in my stable. Spent about $3300 on it. If I built it today, it would cost well over $4000 with all the increases in bike part prices. The goal was to have the ultimate fast road tourer. Weight: 16.2 lbs.

2016 Wraith with Heavy Pedal wheels

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-15-21, 10:17 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
How I got it a month ago for $30 of BookFace vs. now

gonna finish the build tonight.

26" ain't dead yet lol.
i have the same frame. looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 06-15-21, 03:11 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i have the same frame. looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Yours looks way better than mine. Unfortunately mine was too small for me so I parted it out. Here are some pics of it after the build and also a pic of my newest project.

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 06-15-21, 05:53 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Decided to toss the 32c gumwalls back on.

Old 06-15-21, 06:07 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Yours looks way better than mine. Unfortunately mine was too small for me so I parted it out. Here are some pics of it after the build and also a pic of my newest project.

fantastic hardcore gravel beast.
I am not sure what to with mine. stripped it down may sell frame but i did like your idea.
good luck
Old 06-15-21, 09:48 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Stopped riding fixed for almost a year and it made me lazier and weaker. Jamming this again to help get my cadence and legs back (rack goes off for longer rides).
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 06-16-21, 10:15 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Upgraded the grips and brake levers on my two Leaders, the Cretin and the 721TR. Originally I had Oury grips and Dia-Compe Dirt Harry BMX levers, neither of which I liked. I replaced them with ESI Extra Chunky grips capped with Fyxation bar plugs, and Dia-Compe Tech 99 MTB levers.

2015 Leader Cretin

2010 Leader 721tr

Fyxation bar end plug

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-16-21, 01:37 PM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I'm not normally into expensive builds or deep rims, but that gets a "super nice" and a ring of the cowbell from me.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
This is the most expensive fixed gear in my stable. Spent about $3300 on it. If I built it today, it would cost well over $4000 with all the increases in bike part prices. The goal was to have the ultimate fast road tourer. Weight: 16.2 lbs.

2016 Wraith with Heavy Pedal wheels
Old 06-16-21, 02:55 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 440 Posts
Neighborhood cruiser.

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-16-21, 06:56 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Neighborhood cruiser.

Looks good. What bars and can we get a cockpit pic? I just swapped from the FSA Adventure bars to O8 Gary Ergo Sweep OS. I'm still on the fence about them though,I like the width but it's been difficult to get the levers located so that I get enough height on the hoods and still have control while in the hooks.
Old 06-16-21, 10:33 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 440 Posts
Looks good. What bars and can we get a cockpit pic? I just swapped from the FSA Adventure bars to O8 Gary Ergo Sweep OS. I'm still on the fence about them though,I like the width but it's been difficult to get the levers located so that I get enough height on the hoods and still have control while in the hooks.
They are Ritchey Comp Beacon Drop Handlebars with a 44cm width. They feel good when riding and I have no problem using brakes with the hoods and the drops. I prefer these over my PRO Discover Gravel drop bars that I have on my geared gravel bike. I was planning to swap them out, but I've been too lazy to do the switch!

i don't have a cockpit view, but here's a frontal shot:

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-17-21, 07:08 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
RideFarr Headspace stem ordered in December finally arrived, definitely got their second run (friend bought the v1 in November and got it within a few weeks):

Twisted the bar up a bit after this ride...

v1

v2

Was drawn to it for the open-face look which is totally gone here, might have to get in touch with their customer service to get in line for the 35mm with custom shims...

much more of what I had in mind
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 06-22-21, 07:49 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

This is a refresh of my 2014 chrome Soma Rush that had Oury grips and a cross brake lever that I didn't like, but were necessitated by the 23.8mm Nitto B260AA bar. Recently I discovered that Nitto also made a 22.2mm B220AAF bar that was otherwise the same, but was basically unavailable retail. However, the good folks at Retrogression were able to get one for me through EAI, who only sell to businesses. This opened the opportunity to replace the ugly Oury grips with Brooks adjustable leather ring grips in honey color to match my Brooks Pro honey saddle. I also replaced the equally ugly Tektro cross lever with a silver Dia-Compe Tech 99 mtb lever. In addition, I replaced the generic retro Campy/Sugino 44T chainring with a silver Sugino Zen 44T chainring that had been removed from my khaki Soma Rush when I changed its gearing. Finally, I added a RETROGRESSION sticker in homage to my favorite fixed gear parts supplier.

The first two pictures are of the new setup and the last picture is of the original setup.

2014 Soma Rush modified in 2021

2014 Soma Rush cockpit

2014 Soma Rush original setup

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-23-21, 01:11 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Double dingle speed Raleigh SuperCourse

Had this as a dingle speed freewheel. Built some fixed/free hubs into some Alex rims and found a dingle cog from a shop in Canada. A 73 Raleigh SuperCourse I stripped and painted. Fun bike to ride.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 06-23-21, 02:56 PM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Had this as a dingle speed freewheel. Built some fixed/free hubs into some Alex rims and found a dingle cog from a shop in Canada. A 73 Raleigh SuperCourse I stripped and painted. Fun bike to ride.

Nice looking bike. A refreshingly relaxed approach to chain tension. I tend to ride with mine a bit slack these days: quieter and less friction.
Old 06-23-21, 05:22 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Nice looking bike. A refreshingly relaxed approach to chain tension. I tend to ride with mine a bit slack these days: quieter and less friction.
Interesting; I've always been a 1/2" mid-chain deflection guy but do notice some noise. So, slaking up a bit is the way to go?
Old 06-23-21, 07:15 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
The slack also allows me to switch the dingle gears fairly easily.
Old 06-23-21, 11:21 PM
Mikefule

Originally Posted by takenreasy
Interesting; I've always been a 1/2" mid-chain deflection guy but do notice some noise. So, slaking up a bit is the way to go?
Too tight a chain can cause excessive chain "drag" and noise.

The only disadvantage of a bit of slack, on fixed, is that slightly irritating fleeting feeling of disconnection when you transfer from pedalling forwards to applying back pressure. Other than that, it's quieter, and there is less friction.

People talk about a slack chain being a risk of coming off. Within common sense limits, this is not a risk. Think how much effective slack there is in a derailleur chain. I happily ride my 2x10 over very rough ground without ever fearing that the chain is going to flap about so much that it comes off.

On my fixed, whether I have been riding it fixed gear or (as I used to) with a freewheel, I have never had a chain come off.

It is more a matter of personal taste than anything else, but I have been happier since I have moved away from trying to get the tension "just right" and have let it run a tad slacker.
Old 06-24-21, 06:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88

What?!? That freewheel has 2 cogs? That might be the coolest freewheel ever.
Old 06-24-21, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
What?!? That freewheel has 2 cogs? That might be the coolest freewheel ever.
White Industries Dos Eno Freewheel does the same thing but at much higher quality then any other freewheels I have seen on the market recently. You may find some older stuff that is good but modern stuff would be WI. Surly did a Dingle cog but I think they have long discontinued those.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-25-21, 08:10 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I have a WI Dos freewheel, and I can attest that they’re a cool product. Really high quality.

They come in two sizes, I think 17/19 and 18/20.

The spacing is the same as a (10 speed?) road double crank, so you can have chainrings with a difference of two teeth, and everything lines up nicely. Chain line stays straight, and axle stays in same position with either gear combo.

Next thing you know they’ll have freewheels with like five cogs, and some sort of mechanism to shift gears while riding, by simply moving a lever.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 06-26-21, 07:24 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Bit moody this morning

Likes For abshipp:
Old 06-29-21, 12:50 PM
bro

Bikes: Bridgestone

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Bit moody this morning
​​​Awesome, this the 650b Merckx yea? Love it. I wanna do that to this one, hopefully I can fit 35s

Edit: a bell, and brake hoods/levers+front brake with a splitter so both levers can operate it are definitely also happening this year, and a 10mm shorter stem. Man your setup is so good!!

​​​

Last edited by bro; 06-29-21 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.