Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fraudulent online vendor: bikedescent

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-21-21, 09:50 AM
Alvelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I feel compelled to share my horrible experience with "bikedescent". I received a partial order, of terrible quality, and never received the balance of my order. They ignored my emails, made empty promises about pending delivery, or ignored my messages and ultimately skunked me. I had to contest the charge with my credit card provider but they fought back and had the charges re-instated. They will go to great lengths to legally steal your money. Stay away.
Old 07-21-21, 11:44 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
It is definitely a scam site. The address listed is a residential neighborhood in Ireland and the house number doesn't even exist on that street. The phone number in the "contact us" information is also listed on several other scam sites that are not even cycling related.
Old 07-21-21, 11:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Hmmm.... Interesting website.

It looks like one of those companies that is full of generic accessories. Pretty on the outside, but with absolutely no quality control. And, some items will be good within the scope they are purchased in. Others will break or be non-functional almost immediately.

And, then there are the review battles. A search for the bike site above brings up a company "LOOX". Every one of their reviews for the bike company above is a glowing reviews complete with pictures. Well, except for one of a broken product that seems to have slipped through. I can't say if the reviews are real or fake, but it appears as if the published reviews are carefully selected.
Old 07-21-21, 11:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Bummer. Never heard of them before but online reviews don't look good.
Old 07-21-21, 12:02 PM
Alvelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsaul
It is definitely a scam site. The address listed is a residential neighborhood in Ireland and the house number doesn't even exist on that street. The phone number in the "contact us" information is also listed on several other scam sites that are not even cycling related.
Yes, they seem to have sharpened their scamming scheme. There didn't used to be an address or a phone number but they added them, presumable to make it all look more legitimate, but you have to do some careful research. Lesson learned...
Old 07-21-21, 12:03 PM
Alvelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah... When you look carefully, the signs are all there. It' pretty obviously a scam. It's just a bit disconcerting to see it happen so openly and blatantly, and to last as long as it has.
Likes For Alvelo:
Old 07-21-21, 01:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
create a "yelp" like review & provide your experience there. It's a start to defunct them.
Old 07-21-21, 02:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.scamdoc.com/view/176941

Funny- all are 1* reviews. There are a few 5* reviews that should be 1*, but it appears the reviewers dont understand the * system.
Old 07-21-21, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Why did your bank not side with you for at least the portion of the order you did not receive?
Old 07-21-21, 03:26 PM
Alvelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why did your bank not side with you for at least the portion of the order you did not receive?
The way I understand it, bikedescent shiped an inexpensive piece of junk, (the saddle, which was just one part of a bigger order) so that they could obtain some kind of delivery confirmation, which they submitted to the credit card company as proof that they "fulfilled the order". Evidently, the credit card company (Capital One) didn't care to make the effort to look into the extensive documentation I submitted with my complaint. They just checked a box somewhere that "proof had been submitted". At that point I was disgusted with everything and closed my credit card account. I guess Capital One is more concerned about collecting it's 3% fee from sales (fraudulent or not) than they were about doing the right thing. They are just as as bad as bikedescent, but this forum is about cycling, not credit card companies...
Old 07-21-21, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Did the company send a packing list with what was supposed to be in the box?

On E-Bay claims in the past I have documented the shipping weight that was listed on the shipping label, which can give an idea whether only half the items were actually put in the box.
Old 07-21-21, 03:48 PM
Alvelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Did the company send a packing list with what was supposed to be in the box?

On E-Bay claims in the past I have documented the shipping weight that was listed on the shipping label, which can give an idea whether only half the items were actually put in the box.
There was no packing slip. They never sent a tracking number (but kept asking for it whenever they chose to respond to my emails) The saddle was crudely wrapped in a bag. They obviously perfected their scamming methods to make it difficult to prove their scam. Thanks for reading. Spread the word :-)
Old 07-21-21, 04:30 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Alvelo
I feel compelled to share my horrible experience with "bikedescent". I received a partial order, of terrible quality, and never received the balance of my order. They ignored my emails, made empty promises about pending delivery, or ignored my messages and ultimately skunked me. I had to contest the charge with my credit card provider but they fought back and had the charges re-instated. They will go to great lengths to legally steal your money. Stay away.
Thanks, great post!
Old 07-21-21, 04:49 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
The way I understand it, bikedescent shiped an inexpensive piece of junk, (the saddle, which was just one part of a bigger order) so that they could obtain some kind of delivery confirmation, which they submitted to the credit card company as proof that they "fulfilled the order". Evidently, the credit card company (Capital One) didn't care to make the effort to look into the extensive documentation I submitted with my complaint. They just checked a box somewhere that "proof had been submitted". At that point I was disgusted with everything and closed my credit card account. I guess Capital One is more concerned about collecting it's 3% fee from sales (fraudulent or not) than they were about doing the right thing. They are just as as bad as bikedescent, but this forum is about cycling, not credit card companies...
This seems to be the new norm for scam sites. I ordered a laptop desk for my wife from a FB company ad, so she could use her computer in bed while she was ill. They sent me a cheap Chinese watch (that doesn't work.) But, because the tracking number shows delivery, PayPal said it was "resolved".
No, I no longer have a PayPal account.
FB is so full of scam sites now, I don't know why they bother running them. I refuse to purchase anything from any company advertising on FB, legit or not. Some of them are obvious scams, like the ones selling John Deere riding mowers for $89, or E-bikes for $39.99
Old 07-21-21, 07:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I mean this is a perfect reason to stop by your local shop, hard to be a scam when you can hold items in your hand and talk to real live people.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-21-21, 07:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean this is a perfect reason to stop by your local shop, hard to be a scam when you can hold items in your hand and talk to real live people.
More often,"We can order that for you"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-21-21, 07:20 PM
indyfabz

*smh*YOU brought up the charges being reinstated. My question was a fair one.
Old 07-21-21, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
More often,"We can order that for you"
Especially these days but at least we are a real space you can enter.
Old 07-21-21, 07:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
if the lbs orders it thru the risky online retailer, then the customer is safer going the lbs route.
Old 07-21-21, 07:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
I only buy online from sources I know and trust eg Chain Reaction/ Wiggle, Sigma Sports and other actual bike shops with an internet presence. Also used Amazon Prime without issues.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-22-21, 08:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I had a similar situation with a total scam, but was protected by PayPal (it was an ebay purchase and I believe they would have reimbursed me too or as a last resort, my CC). Don't know what the jerks got out of the deal unless a certain percentage of individuals don't bother to fight them. Assuming the OP used a CC, he should be protected. Lesson learned and will purchase only from trusted vendors from previous transactions.
Old 07-22-21, 10:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 2old
Assuming the OP used a CC, he should be protected.
I see you missed the post describing how his bank ruled against him.
Old 07-22-21, 10:36 AM
2old

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I see you missed the post describing how his bank ruled against him.
Check the dictionary; "should" doesn't mean did or didn't, and I was aware they didn't; I'd have a new CC if they did that to me, and wouldn't stop trying to recover the funds. There must be a CC monitoring system.

Last edited by 2old; 07-22-21 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 10:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Check the dictionary; "should" doesn't mean did or didn't; I'd have a new CC if they did that to me, and wouldn't stop trying to recover the funds. There must be a CC monitoring system.
He did get a new cc. There comes a point when recovering the funds isn’t worth the time and effort and that’s where the OP aopeared to get to.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-22-21, 10:43 AM
2old

Originally Posted by PeteHski
He did get a new cc. There comes a point when recovering the funds isn’t worth the time and effort and that’s where the OP aopeared to get to.
There's also a point, for me, where fairness is worth extra effort and time, if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.