Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Perineum issues. INSANELY frustrating

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-04-21, 05:46 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I've been cycling now over 2 years pretty often, around 3-4 days a week (gravel bike). I'm a guy in my 40s, in quite good shape. I had some perineum issues that flared up about a year ago and had to stop riding for a month, and visited a urologist (nothing was wrong). Then the issue came back this summer (after a lot of riding). So I finally got a bike fit, which I had never done. I even needed to go back to the fitter again to do a 2nd fit, plus I've tried several saddles. He seemed quite happy with the last fitting and saddle but the perineum issues still continues. It's not pain, it's a strange sensation in that area, quite hard to explain it exactly (almost feels some nerves are affected to a degree). It happens after around an hour of riding. Back when I was riding a lot i was riding anywhere from 2-5+ hours. Not anymore. I'm just near quitting this sport as this is massively frustrating and i can't seem to find a damn solution. So I guess I will do some exercises for that region and stretches and totally stop riding for weeks maybe months. I just feel so stuck and not sure what to do next. It's just so hard to explain the feeling I experience cuz it really isnt pain, it's just an uncomfortable sensation in that area (sometimes even going a bit down my leg/legs). Anyway, has anyone experienced something like this? I'm at total loss and ******g sick of this in all honesty. Maybe this sport just isnt for me...BTW, the sensation usually lasts about a day or 2 then goes away, unless of course I get back on my bike. It also sometimes will affect my peeing at times, like it can be a bit hard to pee, for a day or 2...
Old 09-04-21, 06:19 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I would start messing with your saddle. Not necessarily changing saddles, although that might not be a bad idea either, but rather micro adjustments to your current saddle, up and down, fore and aft and experimenting with tilt, all the while keeping meticulous notes on everything you do along with the results.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-04-21, 06:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I've been cycling now over 2 years pretty often, around 3-4 days a week (gravel bike). I'm a guy in my 40s, in quite good shape. I had some perineum issues that flared up about a year ago and had to stop riding for a month, and visited a urologist (nothing was wrong). Then the issue came back this summer (after a lot of riding). So I finally got a bike fit, which I had never done. I even needed to go back to the fitter again to do a 2nd fit, plus I've tried several saddles. He seemed quite happy with the last fitting and saddle but the perineum issues still continues. It's not pain, it's a strange sensation in that area, quite hard to explain it exactly (almost feels some nerves are affected to a degree). It happens after around an hour of riding. Back when I was riding a lot i was riding anywhere from 2-5+ hours. Not anymore. I'm just near quitting this sport as this is massively frustrating and i can't seem to find a damn solution. So I guess I will do some exercises for that region and stretches and totally stop riding for weeks maybe months. I just feel so stuck and not sure what to do next. It's just so hard to explain the feeling I experience cuz it really isnt pain, it's just an uncomfortable sensation in that area (sometimes even going a bit down my leg/legs). Anyway, has anyone experienced something like this? I'm at total loss and ******g sick of this in all honesty. Maybe this sport just isnt for me...BTW, the sensation usually lasts about a day or 2 then goes away, unless of course I get back on my bike. It also sometimes will affect my peeing at times, like it can be a bit hard to pee, for a day or 2...
Entirely possible.
Old 09-04-21, 07:26 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Sounds like pressure in the area, have to fix it.

What does your setup / you on the bike look like?
Old 09-04-21, 07:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I have no idea if it would help in this case, but I am much less likely to have any issue with saddle sores, chafing or any other discomfort if I wear two pairs of cycling shorts. In the winter, I usually wear soccer warmup pants over the cycling shorts and am pretty comfortable with that. Might be worth a try.

Otto
Old 09-04-21, 08:02 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Maybe a recumbent bike if you want to stick with cycling.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 09-04-21, 08:27 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
It sure so7nds like you’re sitting directly on your prostate.
Old 09-04-21, 08:34 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
It sure so7nds like you’re sitting directly on your prostate.
I'm really not. I spent 6 hours with that fitter and he showed me exactly where to sit
Old 09-04-21, 08:56 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
It's gonna be much, much harder for us to diagnose anything blindly over the internet better than a professional fitter you spent 6 hours with.

But let's start with the basics. What is the exact saddle you are using? What is your riding position? Can we see some pictures, or better yet, a video?

Actively having to transfer weight off your perineum is not a great solution for aggressive cycling. It's much better to be able to put weight on that area without causing nerve issues.
Old 09-04-21, 09:04 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I'm really not. I spent 6 hours with that fitter and he showed me exactly where to sit
Sorry to hear this. But I think a urologist isn't the right doctor, but a neurologists who can pinpoint the perineal nerve area where the numbness is occurring. I had discomfort in the area when I first started distance cycling, going with a Brooks which is what everyone says is the best, but turns out I needed a channel/cutout long seat for my narrower hips! This may not be what you need but finding where the damaging area is and which nerve will help in finding the solution. Good luck!
Old 09-04-21, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'd try different shorts that have different thickness of chamois. Sometimes less is more. Also saddles that have differing amounts of cutouts to them.

And though your fitter and doctors might be good. Sometimes they just miss something that another might realize easily. So maybe try some others.
Old 09-04-21, 10:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Do you have a bike shop nearby that has a return policy on seats? A local Portland shop has a "library" with ~25 different seats. You can buy a $25 "library card" and take out seats one by one, as many as you want. Also, have you gone for rides with the wrenches to adjust seat position? (Mark your current settings first. 2-bolt seatposts can be a real asset here because they allow you to get exactly the right tilt and return to your former setting.)

One popular notion that absolutely doesn't work for me is the "level seat". I've ridden nose down for 40 years. I'd be throwing away crotch health to achieve that "ideal".
Old 09-04-21, 10:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I had numbness issues, stemming from perineum pressure, when doing rides on the trainer, which is often trial by fire for saddle fit. Getting a saddle wide enough (make sure you get your sit-bone width measured), lightly padded, flattish, and with a somewhat large cutout did the trick for me (currently a Shimano/PRO Stealth).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-04-21, 10:25 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
This was an ongoing and lasting issue for me while riding (particularly) road bikes. I found some relief both in regard to saddles as well as fit of the shorts and it's chamois or lack of one. Ultimately it has turned out where an upright position such as on a hybrid, and standing regularly while riding help offset the full on pain rather than discomfort. It never fully went away for me unless riding a recumbent.
Old 09-04-21, 11:38 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I'm sure posting about it once a month without following up on any of the helpful suggestions that people offered will really help fix your issue.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-04-21, 11:56 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Whether is can help or not, I've found the Selle Anatomica saddles much more compatible with that area of my anatomy (my prostate was hauled to a toxic waste site a few years back). They have a curved slit so it is completely open in that area and also flexes somewhat. It is not just a depression like some saddles. It also contains a bolt at its nose to adjust the tension and flex.

A few friends, both male and female have also found it better in that area.
Old 09-04-21, 12:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Done with this one

Originally Posted by surak
I'm sure posting about it once a month without following up on any of the helpful suggestions that people offered will really help fix your issue.
Good catch, thanks.
Old 09-04-21, 06:07 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
Everyone’s squishy parts (and bones) are different, but I’m happiest on a Brooks leather saddle, nose slightly up, atop a Nitto S-83 seat post, the one that’s infinitely adjustable (two-bolt design). I can ride 50 or 70 miles, and always five more, with no pain or soreness at all.

Last edited by BoltBreaker; 09-04-21 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 08:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think you might have to think a bit outside the box when it comes to saddles. I don’t know if you have tried a noiseless saddle. I have to admit, I would have to be in considerable pain to place one on my bike, but I would if it was the difference between riding and not riding.

79pmooney has also mention a 2 bolt seatpost more than once, even gave a good recommendation with a Suntour XC Pro. I’m not suffering with pain, but I picked up one of those seatposts and I love being able to fine tuning the tilt.

John
Old 09-04-21, 11:00 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
OP
Simple question for you….

what are the width of your sit bones?

Please go find a How To on YouTube, measure them and report back

Barry
Old 09-05-21, 12:01 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by surak
xoxo
Old 09-05-21, 12:14 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
OP
Simple question for you….

what are the width of your sit bones?

Please go find a How To on YouTube, measure them and report back

Barry
Yes If the sit bones are not properly supported the seat can put pressure on the perennial area. With me It was seat tilt on a new Brooks saddle. The seat post wouldn't hold it tight enough to keep it in adjustment. The OP should also send some pictures so we can see riding position on the bike and a picture of the bike without the OP on it.
Old 09-05-21, 06:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, could be very frustrating.
Old 09-05-21, 06:30 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Stop carrying weight on perineum. Put your weight on the pedals.

Go for a ride with no saddle. Main problem with that is saddle is part of steering. So be careful. Just getting down the road with no saddle should be no problem.

Stand on the pedals. Stand a lot. Standing gives instant perineal relief. Sitting on the saddle should be 99.9% as good as standing.

Six hours with a fitter? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result? Forget this fitter. Forget fitters in general.

Everyone has a perineum. They are vulnerable. We are all at risk of having the problem you have. Most of us succeed in riding the bike.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 09-05-21, 07:33 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think you might have to think a bit outside the box when it comes to saddles. I don’t know if you have tried a noiseless saddle. I have to admit, I would have to be in considerable pain to place one on my bike, but I would if it was the difference between riding and not riding.

79pmooney has also mention a 2 bolt seatpost more than once, even gave a good recommendation with a Suntour XC Pro. I’m not suffering with pain, but I picked up one of those seatposts and I love being able to fine tuning the tilt.

John
I agree (John undoubtedly meant to type "noseless").

I like the Spongy Wonder noseless saddle. Cured my numbness issue. No pressure at all on the perineum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.