Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 01:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Very nice, from the same plant that produced many a good one for many a brand.

Originally Posted by agmetal
This is a project I've been working on for a while, mostly parts that I got either for free or very inexpensively. The frame is right at the limits of what I'm able to stand over, but it makes it quite easy to get the bars at the right height. It's also got a sufficiently short top tube for me to ride it comfortably. I took it for a couple quick test rides last night to get a sense of the overall feel, but today was the first real ride, and it's seen about 40 miles so far.

9-speed Ultegra levers, front derailleur, and crankset, 105 9-speed rear derailleur
Old 03-07-16, 01:24 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
Welcome to Bikeforums, @malvarado! This thread is specifically for vintage bikes with modern(ish) combined brake levers and shifters (aka 'brifters'). Other than that you are in the right place.

Before we can answer your questions in a useful way we need a little more information. What is it that you're looking for? (color, budget, frame style, tech) You have a picture of the kind of bike you're looking for? Or a mood board? Anything that can help us point you in the right direction.

Originally Posted by malvarado
This is my first post/reply so I hope I am replying to this thread correctly...

I'm looking for any tips or advice on updating a vintage woman's road bike. Eventually I'll be using it for semi-longer distances for some (I hope) S24O rides.

Specifically any thoughts on -
  • What are some ideal models to keep an eye out for on craigslist
  • What components would I prioritize and look to first upgrade
  • Are there ideal tires and/or wheels that I might look to use (for a combination of roads and rail trails, so some possible light gravel)

Thanks very much for any advice!

Old 03-07-16, 01:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mixte or women's sizes. Need to know the size, as that really matters if the rider is short.

Once you answer that, you can move on.

This is my first post/reply so I hope I am replying to this thread correctly...

I'm looking for any tips or advice on updating a vintage woman's road bike. Eventually I'll be using it for semi-longer distances for some (I hope) S24O rides.

Specifically any thoughts on -
  • What are some ideal models to keep an eye out for on craigslist
  • What components would I prioritize and look to first upgrade
  • Are there ideal tires and/or wheels that I might look to use (for a combination of roads and rail trails, so some possible light gravel)

Thanks very much for any advice!
Old 03-07-16, 02:30 PM
malvarado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rider (I) is short - just barely 5' so that does limit my frame options.

Other than that, I'd just like something easy to work with, not a big hassle... probably from the 70's or 80's era... drop bar... Doesn't need to carry a lot of weight, since any trips I'd get around to doing would not be very long, ideally weekend trips.
Old 03-07-16, 04:29 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
-My original Look PP66 pedals from Walt's Bike Shop back in college. They've been regreased and been through a few sets of cleats since 1990 but they're STILL the gold standard in clipless pedal(According to whom? I've used them and didn't think they were anything special.)
According to me (fallacious argument? Oh yeah). I've tried most models of Look Delta and Keo as well as SPD-SL and Speedplay. I prefer the earlier LOOK pedals due to the squarish design that's easy to snag and flip with a cleat compared to the later more "soap bar" shaped pedals. I also prefer the outboard accessible bearings instead of the blind axle requiring the funky wrench like the later pedals. I've also got a lot of love and miles with that particular set of red and white pedals. And they look right on a 1986 frame. My family's entire road fleet (less the wife's) are fitted with Look Delta pattern pedals which are available for a song. The wife has Crank Brothers Quattros since she demands a walkable shoe.

In regards to the sub-20 lb goal, I'll worry about weight weenie gram issues when the 10kg ballast ring around the midsection disappears.
Old 03-08-16, 08:14 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Very nice, from the same plant that produced many a good one for many a brand.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it came out! Here's how it looked when I first got it....

Old 03-09-16, 02:16 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
My long term plan for this bike is an 11-speed Athena group, but I realized today that I had pretty much all the parts on hand to get it on the road with a 4600-series Tiagra 3x10 build so I can ride it until I get the other bits together.

Work in progress....

I had been thinking silver seatpost, stem and handlebars, but I kind of like the way the black looks.

What do you think?
Old 03-09-16, 02:40 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice start @Andy_K! Look forward to see that finished.

I was looking for an 11 speed Athena group set too for my next build but they're hard to find in silver. I ended up going with a lightly used 10 speed Centaur group from eBay instead.

It's surprisng how nice some of the lower end Shimano groups are. I built a Miyata 912 with an 11 speed Tiagra group for a friend and it turned out really nice. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...my-miyata.html Two of my bikes have Sora groups and they both work really well.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
My long term plan for this bike is an 11-speed Athena group, but I realized today that I had pretty much all the parts on hand to get it on the road with a 4600-series Tiagra 3x10 build so I can ride it until I get the other bits together.

Work in progress....

I had been thinking silver seatpost, stem and handlebars, but I kind of like the way the black looks.

What do you think?
Old 03-09-16, 05:11 PM
Jumpa

Bikes: many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1977 NISHIKI
She even has her original tires still on & holding air.
I guess I could say "ALL original"
I've decided to put a few of my bikes on c/list so what do you guys think I should ask $50 bucks?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160309_175610.jpg (87.7 KB, 460 views)
20160309_175629.jpg (83.0 KB, 456 views)
20160309_175710.jpg (91.2 KB, 444 views)
20160309_175827.jpg (95.4 KB, 443 views)

Last edited by Jumpa; 03-09-16 at 05:27 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 03-09-16, 05:19 PM
Jumpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very dirty, I should of cleaned er up a bit before posting photo's but time is of the essence

Attached Images
20160309_175946.jpg (86.5 KB, 433 views)
20160309_175841.jpg (86.8 KB, 432 views)
20160309_175648.jpg (91.6 KB, 438 views)
20160309_164421.jpg (91.4 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by Jumpa; 03-09-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 06:24 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You took a wrong turn somewhere. This is nowhere near the thread for that.
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries

On this thread, $3.50

Originally Posted by Jumpa
1977 NISHIKI
I've decided to put a few of my bikes on c/list so what do you guys think I should ask $50 bucks?

Old 03-10-16, 06:53 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
1977 NISHIKI

Very dirty, I should of cleaned er up a bit before posting photo's but time is of the essence

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You took a wrong turn somewhere. This is nowhere near the thread for that.
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries

On this thread, $3.50
LOL I knew I could count on you. I was just about to say essentially the same thing but nowhere near as funny.
Old 03-10-16, 09:12 AM
Jumpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A real knee slapper huh ?
Old 03-10-16, 03:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

The rider (I) is short - just barely 5' so that does limit my frame options.

Other than that, I'd just like something easy to work with, not a big hassle... probably from the 70's or 80's era... drop bar... Doesn't need to carry a lot of weight, since any trips I'd get around to doing would not be very long, ideally weekend trips.
Thanks for your reply. Allow me to make few suggestions:
  • Your question is off-topic in this thread. Better to start your own new thread with your question(s). This will get a bigger audience, and more replies. More fun too.
  • include some pictures. Of bikes you find and need an opinion on, or just examples of what you like to buy.

This will surely get you going.

Old 03-10-16, 08:52 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
Nice start @Andy_K! Look forward to see that finished.

I was looking for an 11 speed Athena group set too for my next build but they're hard to find in silver. I ended up going with a lightly used 10 speed Centaur group from eBay instead.

It's surprisng how nice some of the lower end Shimano groups are. I built a Miyata 912 with an 11 speed Tiagra group for a friend and it turned out really nice. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...my-miyata.html Two of my bikes have Sora groups and they both work really well.
I agree- I was also waiting on the money 11 speed athena for the hinault Look frame (posted a few pages back) but then realized i should just build it - its a mix from dura-ace down to tiagra, hitting all the rungs and every rung is good. no regrets - so much better to be riding than thinking about how the ride MIght be.
Old 03-10-16, 09:33 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Really *****in build here! love the pedals and bar tape, and that rear mech, so cool!

Originally Posted by brandon98
I got this 1986 Schwinn Peloton frame from @wrk101 in a horse trade. It's a 25"er made of SL and SP, brazed by Panasonic in Japan.

Parts mix was some recycling but a lot of it was purchased just for the build.

Front to back:
-Craigslist Shimano RS20 Wheelset with 10s peed cassette and Schwalbe Lugano 23c tires. Appear to be takeoffs from a Cannondale Synapse. Easily as fat as most 25's. I'll see how they compare to my beloved Gatorskin Contis.
-Tektro interchangeable model dual pivots fitted with Koolstop pads
-Jagwire cable kit
-Origin 8 quill adapter, Titec Hellbent Stem (120, 0 degree), and the wonderful but now discontinued IRD Blackbird Comp handlebars. Origin8 twintape, 105 5700 series STI shifters
-Cinelli Vai seatpost holding up a Kore Retrobu (Turbo clone) saddle
-FSA Gossamer 50/34 crankset
-Microshift "White" derailleur set. 100 percent Shimano compatible.
-My original Look PP66 pedals from Walt's Bike Shop back in college. They've been regreased and been through a few sets of cleats since 1990 but they're STILL the gold standard in clipless pedals.

It came in at 22.5 lbs, which is quite respectable given the size of the frame an that I made no weight-weenie parts choices. As a Clyde, I go for durability over minimal gram count.

Verdict: Fast and neutral handling. I normally ride a 60-61, so this is slightly big and or "French Fit" but the shorter top tube of the 80's Schwinns ends up giving me a fit very similar to my 60cm 2000 Reynolds 853 Peloton.

Now that it's done, it's on to the next project...here's a tease:
Old 03-11-16, 05:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon98
I got this 1986 Schwinn Peloton frame from @wrk101 in a horse trade. It's a 25"er made of SL and SP, brazed by Panasonic in Japan.

Parts mix was some recycling but a lot of it was purchased just for the build.

Front to back:
-Craigslist Shimano RS20 Wheelset with 10s peed cassette and Schwalbe Lugano 23c tires. Appear to be takeoffs from a Cannondale Synapse. Easily as fat as most 25's. I'll see how they compare to my beloved Gatorskin Contis.
-Tektro interchangeable model dual pivots fitted with Koolstop pads
-Jagwire cable kit
-Origin 8 quill adapter, Titec Hellbent Stem (120, 0 degree), and the wonderful but now discontinued IRD Blackbird Comp handlebars. Origin8 twintape, 105 5700 series STI shifters
-Cinelli Vai seatpost holding up a Kore Retrobu (Turbo clone) saddle
-FSA Gossamer 50/34 crankset
-Microshift "White" derailleur set. 100 percent Shimano compatible.
-My original Look PP66 pedals from Walt's Bike Shop back in college. They've been regreased and been through a few sets of cleats since 1990 but they're STILL the gold standard in clipless pedals.

It came in at 22.5 lbs, which is quite respectable given the size of the frame an that I made no weight-weenie parts choices. As a Clyde, I go for durability over minimal gram count.

Verdict: Fast and neutral handling. I normally ride a 60-61, so this is slightly big and or "French Fit" but the shorter top tube of the 80's Schwinns ends up giving me a fit very similar to my 60cm 2000 Reynolds 853 Peloton.

Nice. How do you like the microshift group?

Old 03-11-16, 06:01 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nice. How do you like the microshift group?

I don't care for Microshift's levers as they seem very plasticky and they're aesthetically ugly, so I went with the Shimano 5700 levers. I was considering doing my standard 10 over 8 Shimergo setup with Campy Veloce levers but Campy apparently made a some sort of change with the 2015 Veloce levers, so I wasn't going to take a $130 gamble on getting it to work. Being a big boy, I prefer the durability of 8 speed chains and cassettes but I figured with a fleet of bikes in the garage, I could try to join the post 2010 world of shifting. My initial impressions of the 5700 levers is that they are light touch and shifts are very soft. The old maxim of Shimano STI= snick, Campy Ergo = click, and SRAM Double Tap = BANG applies. here. I noticed no

The Microshift derailleurs work just fine. The rear is functionally interchangeable with a 105 or Ultegra. The front is also decent but not quite as minute-feature engineered as Shimano's offerings. I only have about 35 miles on the build thus far, so I can't speak for durability or adjustment drift beyond initial cable stretch but so far, so good.

Old 03-11-16, 12:13 PM
jordnara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot Aspin 14.

Summer companion to another Peugot posted earlier. Mostly Athena with Superstar wheels.

Old 03-11-16, 12:24 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

That build hangs together rather nicely, color-wise. Well done!

Originally Posted by jordnara
Summer companion to another Peugot posted earlier. Mostly Athena with Superstar wheels.

Old 03-11-16, 01:31 PM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
1980 Peugeot Course (PFN10E) with Vitus 172 tubing. Updated with Shimano wheels, Sora brifters, 105 RD, Sora triple FD, triple crankset, new Jagwire cables (in orange trying to match the paint panels on the frame), carbon Kenesis fork, carbon FSA bars, VO stem, Ritchey threadless HS... has its own Thread but want it to be here also!!

How it came to me:

Last edited by ratfink76; 03-11-16 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-16, 01:32 PM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Now back to back Peugeots! Love the wheelset on yours..

Originally Posted by jordnara

Old 03-11-16, 01:53 PM
jordnara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the wheels both look and rides well.

Nice colors on the Course, and I'm a jelous of that fork! Good job.
Old 03-11-16, 03:52 PM
ski4bob

Bikes: 1991 Schwinn 354, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport Custom, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer and 2017 Niner RIP RDO

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 9 Posts
1983 Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic Built, 25" frame. Custom Paint, Tange Chromo fork, Shimano 105 mix of 5600 shifters, 5700 crankset, 5700 rd, 5800 fd, Tektra 737 brakes, Shimano RS31 Wheels, 3T Ergo Nova Bar and Charge Spoon Saddle. The bike is comfortable and fast. I am sorry, this is the second time I've posted on this string.
Attached Images
Crankset Small.jpg (97.5 KB, 452 views)
Drive Side Rear Small.jpg (100.2 KB, 473 views)
Front without headbadge.jpg (97.9 KB, 444 views)
Rear Derailleur.jpg (98.5 KB, 441 views)
Rear non drive view small.jpg (98.6 KB, 439 views)
Side View Front Small.jpg (99.0 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by ski4bob; 03-11-16 at 04:18 PM. Reason: reposted
Old 03-11-16, 05:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Ace.

Originally Posted by ski4bob
1983 Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic Built, 25" frame. Custom Paint, Tange Chromo fork, Shimano 105 mix of 5600 shifters, 5700 crankset, 5700 rd, 5800 fd, Tektra 737 brakes, Shimano RS31 Wheels, 3T Ergo Nova Bar and Charge Spoon Saddle. The bike is comfortable and fast. I am sorry, this is the second time I've posted on this string.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.