Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 10-11-14, 08:35 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
Nice! I've read that very thing from others about the Stag, although for the price, it's still such a fantastic value. I decided to go with Joshua Bryant. His CF Randonneuse project really appealed to me for a variety of reasons. I should get the frame before long. Jeff Lyon does incredible work, and initially I planned to go through him; I even sent him a deposit, but after waiting several months and hearing nothing from him, I got impatient. Besides, the JBryant included everything I wanted as-is, including custom racks (and lowrider racks), so I just decided to go for it. Part of me regrets not getting the Stag and saving quite a bit of money, but oh well. Any of these options should work just fine for me, in the end. I also looked at the Soma GR, but I didn't care for the paint scheme and the bend of the fork legs just looked odd to me. Those are fairly minor issues, but a more major one was that none of the available frame sizes weren't quite right for me. It looks like a great deal, though, for those who can work with the sizing.
Before I bought my used MAP recently, I was watching Cycles J Bryant's Flickr like a hawk.

Really an interesting builder to me.

Please post some pics or a link when you are ready. It should be quite a bicycle.
Old 10-11-14, 09:06 PM
Lamplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I've been following Joshua Bryant's work and am very impressed. I'm sure his CF project bike will be fantastic! I've been following his FaTRoB project with interest, and part of me wanting to replace the fork on the Stag is in response to that bike! Unfortunately the new fork will have a slightly narrower crown, so the max tire width it'll ever take is about 45mm. I'm currently riding Compass Babyshoe Passes in 42mm which work supremely well on most surfaces except where it's slippery, such as mud or really loose gravel/rocks. I'm hoping the upcoming Bruce Gordon Rocky Road in 650B will measure no more than 45mm, as that promises to be the perfect tire to mate to the Stag. As a side note, I also recently got a Jeff Lyon full custom, which I haven't built up yet!
Joshua's FaTRoB project is a badass, for sure! I follow J. Bryant and Jeff Lyon (as well as several other builders) on Flickr. Jeff Lyon's work always impresses me tremendously, so I'm sure your latest bike will be fantastic! Just looking at his work it's obvious he's been doing this for longer than I've been alive.

Originally Posted by gomango
Before I bought my used MAP recently, I was watching Cycles J Bryant's Flickr like a hawk.

Really an interesting builder to me.

Please post some pics or a link when you are ready. It should be quite a bicycle.
I will definitely post plenty of pictures once it's finished. It's not vintage, but it will certainly have a vintage look to it when I'm done. I really like MAP bikes. I learned of Mitch's Rando project after I had already sent the deposit for my J. Bryant, but the price was a little steep for me anyway. However, Mitch's work is pretty much second to none and, I'm sure, worth every penny!

I'd also like to add that Joshua Bryant is also a really nice guy, and so is Jeff Lyon. I really enjoyed chatting with both of them.
Old 10-11-14, 09:44 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Lamplight
Joshua's FaTRoB project is a badass, for sure! I follow J. Bryant and Jeff Lyon (as well as several other builders) on Flickr. Jeff Lyon's work always impresses me tremendously, so I'm sure your latest bike will be fantastic! Just looking at his work it's obvious he's been doing this for longer than I've been alive.

I will definitely post plenty of pictures once it's finished. It's not vintage, but it will certainly have a vintage look to it when I'm done. I really like MAP bikes. I learned of Mitch's Rando project after I had already sent the deposit for my J. Bryant, but the price was a little steep for me anyway. However, Mitch's work is pretty much second to none and, I'm sure, worth every penny!

I'd also like to add that Joshua Bryant is also a really nice guy, and so is Jeff Lyon. I really enjoyed chatting with both of them.
I couldn't afford a new MAP, so I contacted an owner of one.

Asked him if he was interested in selling and he was just about ready to receive a new one.

Said he would be happy to sell it to me.
Old 10-12-14, 06:16 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
I couldn't afford a new MAP, so I contacted an owner of one.

Asked him if he was interested in selling and he was just about ready to receive a new one.

Said he would be happy to sell it to me.
Pics or it didn't happen!

I've been following Mitch's work, and worked with him once on a lighting collaboration. His work is outstanding!
Old 10-12-14, 06:34 AM
gomango

Pics or it didn't happen!

I've been following Mitch's work, and worked with him once on a lighting collaboration. His work is outstanding!
Don't hold your breath.

I have been on a mini buying spree this week and it will be third in line.

I have a new to me Kvale to build first, then a Roland Della Santa.

The Bilenky I bought last spring fills a fairly similar niche to the MAP, so I will just take my good sweet time this winter.

Hopefully I will collaborate on the build with forum member Thirdgenbird. He's the best around and great to bounce ideas off of.

I will toss some up on my Flickr though this week.

I haven't taken fotos of any of these yet, so here are the owner's pics. I don't have permission to use the MAP owner's pics.

edit: The Della Santa - Frameset only-will build Chorus 10 speed

The Chris Kvale - Frameset only-Will build with 8 speed Record- The Kvale has a very nice matching Silca not shown in the pic.

[IMG]Untitled by misomad, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by gomango; 10-12-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 06:39 AM
southpawboston

Don't hold your breath.

The Bilenky I bought last spring fills a fairly similar niche to the MAP, so I will just take my good sweet time this winter.

Hopefully I will collaborate on the build with forum member Thirdgenbird. He's the best around and great to bounce ideas off of.

For you to have all these hand-built bikes in a queue patiently waiting to get built up is more jealousy-invoking than you can believe :-).

But I kind of know how it goes-- everyone is giving me flack for having the Jeff Lyon hanging on a hook since June waiting to get built up. But what can I say... I already have the Stag filling that niche so there's no urgency. In fact, I don't know what's more exciting-- building up the Lyon as a classic randonneusse or re-building up the Stag with new Lyon fork, the upcoming 45mm Bruce Gordon Rocky Road 650B tires, and new Sram 10-spd road group.

Last edited by southpawboston; 10-12-14 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:12 AM
gomango

For you to have all these hand-built bikes in a queue patiently waiting to get built up is more jealousy-invoking than you can believe :-).

But I kind of know how it goes-- everyone is giving me flack for having the Jeff Lyon hanging on a hook since June waiting to get built up. But what can I say... I already have the Stag filling that niche so there's no urgency. In fact, I don't know what's more exciting-- building up the Lyon as a classic randonneusse or re-building up the Stag with new Lyon fork, the upcoming 45mm Bruce Gordon Rocky Road 650B tires, and new Sram 10-spd road group.
Your Jeff Lyon will be the real deal. Such a beautiful frameset!

As for the Stag, I bought and built one for a friend last summer. That frameset is one of the best all around values out there. Your build plan sounds like it will be a winner. I have a set of BG tires, but they are actually a bit wide for all of my bikes other than my Fargo. My buddy with the Stag has been distance riding since he retired five years ago and has been trying to get me to join their group. I've made a commitment to the group for next season, as well as a wide range of distance gravel rides.

FWIW I have yet another beautiful frameset in the line as well. A very nice Serotta CSI that was rebuilt by Eric Estlund of Winter bikes. I bought this for my son but he grew so fast this year I am not sure what I will do. As for hand built bikes, I changed my focus from Euro racers to American custom builders about three years ago. I recently sold several Italian bikes and I have a few more to go. One or two will be sufficient I think.

[IMG]DSCN1354 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

....and now, off for a nice long ride with Mrs. Gomango.
Old 10-12-14, 11:05 AM
Frogbutter 

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Quick Sunday ride around Menomonie.

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Old 10-12-14, 11:16 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
That is one sharp looking bike!!!! Did I mention that bike is one of the prettiest i have seen?
Don't hold your breath.

I haven't taken fotos of any of these yet, so here are the owner's pics. I don't have permission to use the MAP owner's pics.

edit: The Della Santa - Frameset only-will build Chorus 10 speed

The Chris Kvale - Frameset only-Will build with 8 speed Record- The Kvale has a very nice matching Silca not shown in the pic.

[IMG]Untitled by misomad, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-12-14, 12:57 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
That is one sharp looking bike!!!! Did I mention that bike is one of the prettiest i have seen?
Why thank you.

I hope they turn out as nicely as the previous owners' versions.
Old 10-12-14, 01:42 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
I love the Kvale, so lovely.
Old 10-12-14, 02:26 PM
Fiji__speed

Bikes: 1973 Fuji S10-S Special Road Racer (vintage), 1986 Miyata 110 (vintage), Pacific FVI DS2 Mountainbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road across two parks today, was really fun! It was nice to get out of the house this chilly Sunday morning and get the blood flowing.. it's been nearly 2 weeks since I last rode.

No pictures , unfortunately.
Old 10-12-14, 02:49 PM
Lamplight

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
That Kvale is stunning!
Old 10-12-14, 04:00 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great pictures everyone. I got out for 30 miles this morning, great day here in Southern New England. I took a few pictures at a small stream where I stopped to have something to eat.

Old 10-12-14, 04:08 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rode in the Filthy Fifty today in Stewartville MN. A mid 40's to mid 50's temp ride, with strong winds and just a few raindrops tossed in. Goes over the area just north of the Almonzo. It is a very scenic area with small rollers and a few winding stream to ridge climbs. The limestone gravel roads were firm and fast today. With a friendly group that formed up to fight the 20mph South winds on the "way out", we managed to complete the 52 mile ride in about 2:45. Another of those fun and free gravel rides (though please buy a few chances in the "meat raffle"). Keeping up the growing Minnesota tradition of the organizer congratulating the finishers, and a well earned brew at the end.

Pre and post ride picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ff1.jpg (93.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg
ff2.jpg (91.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Chrome Molly; 10-12-14 at 04:10 PM. Reason: More stuff
Old 10-12-14, 04:55 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Wow, today was the day for riding. Nice pics, FB, otg, CM.

We did 51.7 miles on the tandem today. It was an awesome New England day, cool, dry, bright. We did some roads I've done solo but not on the tandem, and some roads we've done many times.

A photo op somewhere in West Concord

Lunch by the North Bridge in Concord

This must be October

Required stop at Heart Pond, Chelmsford
Old 10-12-14, 06:03 PM
Vonruden

Morning shakedown on the Sachs

Old 10-12-14, 06:21 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Oh man vonruden, i love that bike! Wow
Old 10-12-14, 06:27 PM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by northbend
Oh man vonruden, i love that bike! Wow
Thanks NB! I'm happy with the finished product and ride. Can't wait to see that Gordon of yours again.
Old 10-12-14, 08:51 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I was able to sneak out for a 32-miler today. Took some roads I don't normally travel. They are in the center of the valley and are mostly agricultural land between the main roads north and south. About 1/4 of it was some relatively nice gravel. It had rained the day before so there was no dust. Some of it was bone-jarring washboards, but I was able to pick good lines most of the time because the traffic is very low... until I steered into this.

It took a few minutes to get the cattle back into the field on the right, but they ranchers were experienced and quick.

Got to ride this for the third time since buying it this summer: a '92 Colorado TG.

I suppose it might ride nicer with tires bigger than 25mm, but the Paselas are pretty good on well-maintained gravel roads.
Old 10-12-14, 10:19 PM
gomango

Big cheers for the Sachs and Serotta.

Both look outstanding.
Old 10-13-14, 12:23 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow you guys are really making me want a road bike.

I got out on the cross bike again today. I'm slowly exploring all the trails that Mission Trails Regional Park has to offer. It's a huuuge park, especially since I'm coming from the east coast mtb parks. Also slowly building up my endurance again after a couple months off the bike due to moving and being on the road for three weeks, etc.

Old 10-13-14, 07:43 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Your photos are making me want to get a CX bike

What's the grass hut?
Old 10-13-14, 10:15 AM
southpawboston

Those trails look fantastic, whatwolf! I lived in SD but never rode while there, only hiked. I really missed out!

Originally Posted by whatwolf
Wow you guys are really making me want a road bike.

I got out on the cross bike again today. I'm slowly exploring all the trails that Mission Trails Regional Park has to offer. It's a huuuge park, especially since I'm coming from the east coast mtb parks. Also slowly building up my endurance again after a couple months off the bike due to moving and being on the road for three weeks, etc.

Old 10-13-14, 10:21 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Painted Creek Trail - Rochester, MI. A perfect Sunday afternoon; exceptional blue skies, a nice trail, fall color, and getting hockey mom geeked on bike riding. The line at the Painted Creek Cider Mill was too long, so no cider and donut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.