Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gas lighting me?

Old 08-17-20, 10:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Gas lighting me?

I 've had some strange things happen recently with my bikes. A few weeks ago I took my fat bike for a ride and when going into the lowest gear the chain would go into the spokes. It happened a couple times before I stopped to investigate and the low screw on the rear derailleur was way off, by at least 5 turns. Simple fix.
Then yesterday I noticed my MTB had a complete flat on the tubeless set up. I took a look and the threaded washer that holds the valve in place was loosened at least 5 turns.
Again simple fix, I know things loosen but have never seen screws loosen that much. I am going to give the full over on all my bikes, you never know.
BTW, I live alone
Old 08-18-20, 08:10 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I have four active road bikes. Recently, at essentially the same time (within a week or so), I experienced them all suddenly producing a "creaking" and/or slight clunking sound from their cassette BBs. Further inspection indicated that they all needed to be snugged up and tightened just a bit. I DON'T live alone...but none of the others in the house would know a BB from presta valve...nor even where to find my tools to loosen them.
But...most of the planets of our solar system are on the same side of the Sun. So I'm thinking cosmic forces are at play.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-18-20 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-18-20, 09:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Once a year at least a bike owner should give his or her bike a complete going over by checking every fastener. That should include greasing and oiling every moving part that need it. It will keep you from walking home. Further you need to notice and listen to you bike in case something is loosing up. Just jumping on your bike at never doing anything will almost guarantee a walk home.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-18-20, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-18-20, 11:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Have Joseph Cotten look over your bikes. He's really good.
Charles Boyer, on the other hand....
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 12:34 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Old 08-18-20, 06:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Do you have pets? Dogs may just want to keep you home. Cats just want to murder us. Check your screwdrivers and wrenches for fur.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-18-20, 09:53 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I love Ingrid Bergman in Jekyll and Hyde, but that Gaslight character makes me cringe.

I've thought about the topic in relation to the height of my seatposts. Like my neighbor, Amélie, has been playing a trick with my grocery getter ... or some days I just feel really short/tall.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-19-20, 09:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I love Ingrid Bergman in Jekyll and Hyde, but that Gaslight character makes me cringe.

I've thought about the topic in relation to the height of my seatposts. Like my neighbor, Amélie, has been playing a trick with my grocery getter ... or some days I just feel really short/tall.

She's a cringingly weak character, but the plot doesn't work if she's anything else. I think she plays the role well.

My favorite all-time Ingrid Bergman line-reading, courtesy of the weird humor of Alfred Hitchcock:

She actually makes it sound sexy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-20, 10:22 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
lighting farts is dangerous
Old 08-19-20, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BikeLite
lighting farts is dangerous

I envision a campaign of PSAs on this subject featuring Burnie Bean..
Old 08-19-20, 08:15 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
You live alone? Or did you mean you drink alone with nobody else and with your pal Jack Daniels?

Just kidding.

5 turns sounds like someone messing with you. My adjustments rarely go out of whack and when they do maybe a 1/8th of turn will fix it, and that's after maybe 5,000 plus miles. I've owned quite a few bikes too, and over the last 40 years none have ever gone so far out that a 1/8th of turn wouldn't correct it. Geez, even if I ignored the bad adjustment and kept riding I seriously doubt that over 10 years of riding I would need more than a 1/4th of turn to make it all good again, and for that to happen to you in a day?? Someone's got to be messing with you. You say you live alone, but do you commute to work? To you park the bike someplace unattended for a while, doesn't take long to turn a screw, 5 seconds and they're done.
Old 08-20-20, 01:00 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Again simple fix, I know things loosen but have never seen screws loosen that much...BTW, I live alone
Maybe you have another personality who's out to get you?

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I am going to give the full over on all my bikes, you never know.
If it's just random, applying loctite to the screws should stop that from happening in the future. If you keep having it happen after loctite...maybe time to set up a hidden camera facing where you store your bike to see what's going on...
Old 08-21-20, 09:37 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Maybe you have another personality who's out to get you?

If it's just random, applying loctite to the screws should stop that from happening in the future. If you keep having it happen after loctite...maybe time to set up a hidden camera facing where you store your bike to see what's going on...
I hear strange noises at night. Maybe I should not leave food out after midnight.
Likes For MarcusT: