Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 11:17 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

I think standing on the pedals is really the equivalent of running, and your muscles are definitely capable of producing more watts than the simple application of gravity. Not sure how much bracing against the handlebars is responsible for this, I think it's the leaning forward like we tend to do when we run.
I know that getting pedal force just up to my body weight can require a lot of power, depending on the slope, gearing and speed.

Still you can, in principle, go above it at least somewhat. In a simplified view of the force diagram, as long as the downward pull of your weight plus the downward reaction force of the handlebar resisting your pull equals the reaction force of the pedal pushing you up, you can stay on the bike.

This sort of thing happens when I ride steep hills in taller gears than I should, which is all too common. I really can’t say, but I would be surprised if the handlebar pull was ever much more than a third of my body weight, at least when standing. I think the geometry indicates the bar force could be higher when pedaling lifts you out of the saddle, because the pedal force is less vertical.

Otto
Old 10-16-22, 07:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
Im 84 and I still never have walked up a hill. This is especially true now that I mainly ride my trike. I can go to the lowest gear and ride as slow as needed with out having to worry about falling over.
Old 10-16-22, 01:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You can do what you want, but for me it's not OK.

I walked a section of deep gravel where paving was being done once, and have walked some offroad bits- particularly downhill singletrack on a CX bike,

but in general not since I first mail-manned my way up the steep hill to my house on a three speed in the fifth grade.
Old 10-16-22, 01:42 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
No, it's against the rules!!
Old 10-19-22, 01:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'll just add: If nobody sees you walk the hill, it didn't happen!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-19-22, 07:11 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
As a 3-time former covid contender (survivor), and a few weeks away from my 55th birthday, I find that there's absolutely no shame in walking up that (more than) occasional hill that I'm unable to crest. Riding ebikes has made it doable though, but there's nothing like the feeling of topping a hill on fatboy power alone.
Old 10-20-22, 09:45 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Im 84 and I still never have walked up a hill. This is especially true now that I mainly ride my trike. I can go to the lowest gear and ride as slow as needed with out having to worry about falling over.
The rule that I'm coming to s that if you're on a hill that requires constant pedaling and one that is so steep that when you stop pedaling you do not coast but immediately go backwards....that hill is okay to walk up.
Old 10-20-22, 06:59 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
it's not whether it's ok or not..it's whether its necessary or not, and occasionally it is
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-20-22, 08:22 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I walked my first paved hill, at London Edinburgh London, this year. I ended up walking three. It was also my first ever DNF.

In that case, it was not okay. Being indicative of my lack of conditioning for the challenge.
​​​​
Old 10-20-22, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
The rule that I'm coming to s that if you're on a hill that requires constant pedaling and one that is so steep that when you stop pedaling you do not coast but immediately go backwards....that hill is okay to walk up.
With or without a pizza?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-22, 10:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I still averaged over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days, but that was when we were young. I was only 64 at the time

Appalachians

Last edited by Doug64; 10-20-22 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 10:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
The lowest gear on my comfort bike is 21 gear inches. That equates to about 5 kph @50 rpm. At this speed it takes about the same effort, perhaps less to just walk the bike. But the gravel hill that's most challenging for me only has short sections steep enough to require high effort, so it's better to just muscle through it until it eases up where 8 - 10 kph can be sustained.

But I have no problem walking up some hills too, Even if I can ride them. I often walk my bike on flats like in parks anyway, Or as a change of pace after a long ride.
Aren't the biggest hills in Windsor the overpasses over the 401/expressway?
Old 10-23-22, 10:24 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Rydabent is such a chad
Old 10-23-22, 11:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Winds this weekend were steady 20-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph, straight from the south. I explored a new route that was a fun 40 mph downhill blast with a tailwind, but I knew it was gonna cost me on the return leg.

The undulating uphill grade back into the headwind averaged only 4% but had some double digit sections of 10-12%. My go-fast bike Saturday has a 12-23 cassette. With a 39T small ring, dead legs and that combination of hill and wind, I was crawling at 5 mph on the steepest section for about a quarter of a mile.

I thought of those old school hardmen of the 1940s-60s, grinding up climbs so slowly that fat old men carrying wine bottles and baguettes were able to jog alongside the cyclists.

Not today, Alfonso. Not today.

I was pretty close to getting off and walking, but Look Delta and Shimano SPD-SL cleats are terrible for walking. I'm not embarrassed to admit I veered off the street and pedaled up a narrow sidewalk for about 100 yards, at which point it became a proper wide, freshly paved multi-use path. Brand new housing development, hardly anyone out here yet. No witnesses to my shame.

Sunday wind was even worse. This time I took my old faithful steel bike with relatively comfy 50/38 chainrings and 13-28 freewheel. And I'm considering switching that bike to an 8- or 10-speed wheelset with 12-32 cassette for just such occasions.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-24-22, 07:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Winds this weekend were steady 20-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph, straight from the south. I explored a new route that was a fun 40 mph downhill blast with a tailwind, but I knew it was gonna cost me on the return leg.

The undulating uphill grade back into the headwind averaged only 4% but had some double digit sections of 10-12%. My go-fast bike Saturday has a 12-23 cassette. With a 39T small ring, dead legs and that combination of hill and wind, I was crawling at 5 mph on the steepest section for about a quarter of a mile.

I thought of those old school hardmen of the 1940s-60s, grinding up climbs so slowly that fat old men carrying wine bottles and baguettes were able to jog alongside the cyclists.

Not today, Alfonso. Not today.

I was pretty close to getting off and walking, but Look Delta and Shimano SPD-SL cleats are terrible for walking. I'm not embarrassed to admit I veered off the street and pedaled up a narrow sidewalk for about 100 yards, at which point it became a proper wide, freshly paved multi-use path. Brand new housing development, hardly anyone out here yet. No witnesses to my shame.

Sunday wind was even worse. This time I took my old faithful steel bike with relatively comfy 50/38 chainrings and 13-28 freewheel. And I'm considering switching that bike to an 8- or 10-speed wheelset with 12-32 cassette for just such occasions.
I was out in flat farmland yesterday with the same winds ... I thought about walking a few time to avoid being blown over in the crosswinds!
Old 10-24-22, 08:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Somewhere around 3 mph, walking seems faster and easier than riding.

If I am carrying some weight, a very steep hill costs me about 280 watts to go 3 mph.

I find on a very long ride that getting off and walking is a nice rest to the cycling muscles.

Jan Heine is one of the fastest randonneurs in the world, he walks some steep hills, too.
Old 10-24-22, 08:18 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
As a 3-time former covid contender (survivor), and a few weeks away from my 55th birthday, I find that there's absolutely no shame in walking up that (more than) occasional hill that I'm unable to crest. Riding ebikes has made it doable though, but there's nothing like the feeling of topping a hill on fatboy power alone.
there are hills even on my Bosch mid drive are so hard. this guy tops out at 22% grade. to get the max out of my motor I had to keep the rpms at 70rpms or above I had to put out 520 or so watts and thats a lot for me for 2 blocks. now if I can only keep the rpms around 40 like usual they I can do it at 450 watts but it feels harder.
one of my big complaints about e bikes is the gearing is now low enough for steep hills.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-24-22, 11:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, my bent bike and trike has a triple in front, and with 30 and 34 sprockets in the rear, I have never had to walk up a hill. This late move to just one BB sprocket seem kind of dumb to me, since it may force some out of the saddle to walk up a hill.

And before someone jumps me on this post, yes I have railed against the ever increasing number of gears in the rear. IMO 8 or 9 in the rear with a triple in front is just about right. 24 or 27 gears pretty much will keep everyone riding up a hill instead of walking.
Old 10-24-22, 01:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Rydabent is such a chad
Having a 7" low gear helps too.
Old 10-24-22, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

If you can manage the go backwards bit, that's a pretty neat trick.

I don't think this is a rule anyone is looking for.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-24-22, 05:15 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Suit yourself. It's your ride.

Old 10-24-22, 05:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I wouldn't be able to ride with myself if I ever walked up a hill.
Old 10-24-22, 07:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, my bent bike and trike has a triple in front, and with 30 and 34 sprockets in the rear, I have never had to walk up a hill. This late move to just one BB sprocket seem kind of dumb to me, since it may force some out of the saddle to walk up a hill.

And before someone jumps me on this post, yes I have railed against the ever increasing number of gears in the rear. IMO 8 or 9 in the rear with a triple in front is just about right. 24 or 27 gears pretty much will keep everyone riding up a hill instead of walking.
Dude you have never ridden up a hill. You have bragged in other threads about how all your riding ins on a perfectly safe, perfectly maintained, perfectly flat MUP loop ......

What bugs me here isn't that you have never tried a 22% hill as was featured in @fooferdoggy's post, but that you are trying to both be super-macho and pretend that somehow it is because you can ride slower on a trike.

For people who have actually ridden hills--sometimes on fully-loaded diamond-frames, while Not staring at the front tire .... going slowly enough to fall over is not the issue. The issue on really steep hills is simply putting out enough power in a single stroke to move that load up that hill. Sometimes the hill is so steep and the rider so tired that even lifting his/her entire body weight and thrusting down with all available power and gravity too, won't be enough to keep the bike moving .... and you won't be able to rise up and come down again fast enough on the other side to maintain momentum. You just grind to a halt.

I doubt I am the only guy who had to roll back downhill a little to do a quick U-turn, trying to maintain a little momentum to get the pedals turning again .... and I doubt I am the only guy who, on some days, still couldn't do it.

I started as a paperboy around age 8 or so, and lived in a per of the country where hills are steep and frequent. despite riding all around for fun and transport and also carrying a big load of papers seven days a week, which didn't hurt my cycling ability .... there were some days where I had to walk some parts of some hills.

if you never have, then no matter how old you are, you haven't challenged yourself.

Come back with some GPX files (Ride With GPS or Strava) showing you riding your trike up a long 20-30 % grade ..... and keep doing that grade, because even if you rode up that grade for 30 hours straight you'd never have to walk, right? because you are so strong and because .... Trikes Are Magic.

So .... yeah, whatever ..... my Cannondale tourer has a 28-38-48 with a 14-34 in back .... there are hills too long and too steep form me to ride, and not because ai lack balance. My Cannondale MTB has like a 22x36 low gear ... and I am pretty sure there are still hills too long and too steep for me.

You might be a stronger rider than i, and I am cool with that .... i can even tolerate you bragging, because at 84, just riding anything is pretty good .... (Notice I refrained from joking how his Depends were more comfortable on a 'bent? Big of me, eh? )

But I do wonder how long it has been since you tried that trike up a 22% slope, or climbed for an hour at 15% average .....

You might me macho man in your 80s, from the '40s, but it ain't the trike getting you up those hills .... if you are riding them at all .....

Anyway .... when are we going to see pics of the trike?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-24-22, 07:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

I doubt I am the only guy who had to roll back downhill a little to do a quick U-turn, trying to maintain a little momentum to get the pedals turning again ....
Heh. Riding across the country loaded I did just that near the summit of Brandon Gap in Vermont. My cycle computer literally read 0 mph for a second, but I never walked. When I got to the top some tour participants were waiting. I said “I need a hug.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-24-22, 07:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.