Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it worth to pay for a bike fit after ACDF surgery?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it worth to pay for a bike fit after ACDF surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 11:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I was supposed to have four M6-C installed by Dr. Clavel in Barcelona in late March of 2020 but then travel was shut down. Then, I tried to get a medical exemption from the Consulate later in 2021 IIRC but no dice. Your ADR placement looks good, hope you are pain-free. I had trouble with my insurance company, so, I was going to pay out of pocket.
I had mine done at Walter Reed during the tail of cases from OEF/OIF/OND when the neurosurgery service a lot of recent experience in spinal trauma. Mike Rosner, the spine guy there at the time, was confident about the benefit of dual implants, even though that was off-label at the time.

I never had any pain because I had no root involvement. I diagnosed myself with spinal cord compression because I was having L'Hermitte phenomenon when I went up stairs, and went shopping for a fix. Then I went all numb and tingly from the neck down after a run one night. They took me to the OR shortly after that and the fix was complete.

The functional outcome has been great. I can ride more drop than I did when I was racing, trim main on a sailboat, etc. The only problem is that the top corner of the top implant projects into my esophagus and food tends to get stuck on the way down if I'm not careful about chewing. The only thing that changed was that I quit running because I didn't want to shock-load that system any more.

I'm sorry your insurance doesn't want to pay for proper care. I was only 54 and very active when I had the surgery and a definitive fix was really important to me
Old 10-28-22, 07:39 PM
3d1l

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
MoAlpha You neck groupset looks light and italian, mine looks heavy and chinese:

@Darklivelions - GhostRider62 Yes I know about recumbents but... I don't know... ehhh... first I'm on a budget and I already have a bicycle, then I have this fanciful whimsical idea of a bicycle that I can ride everywhere whit ease... so...
Old 10-29-22, 01:47 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by 3d1l
MoAlpha You neck groupset looks light and italian, mine looks heavy and chinese.
Well, the gear skeptics here would say I’d have to be totally elite to notice a difference.
Old 11-01-22, 07:00 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by 3d1l
Bummer.

After taking some time to recover from my spasm problems I felt well enough to take a quick ride. Long story short, I fell from the bike lacerated my elbow and fracture my collarbone. I'm still recovering. The good news in the midst of the bad news is that it was not a type of fracture where the bone moves and hurt the muscles or something. There's nothing else that can be done but to rest and wait for the bone to heal itself.

Just amazing. That fall must also have put a lot of stress on your neck. And your neck did OK.

Still you want to do everything possible so that falls do not repeat. First step is to think t through. Most falls could have been avoided. Your thought process not same as mine but work on this.
Old 11-01-22, 08:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I know I had to crash a few times before I smartened up and made not crashing a priority.

Really glad that when you heal you will be able to ride again.