Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New, but inspired by vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New, but inspired by vintage

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 07:44 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Miyata used robot brazing to make high-end lugged frames in the 1980s, they advertised this in their catalogs. Supposedly the robot brazing was so precise that nothing required filing afterwards.
I was thinking a little higher 'high-end'

the Miyata frames were high quality (and durable) - but I don't believe they were as light weight as (for example) a custom lugged frame built with lighter gauge tube set
Old 11-30-22, 04:36 PM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
State Bikes - info about the company?

Originally Posted by rudypyatt
This is a very interesting bike. Along with Retrospec, Handsome, and Linus, State’s offering what appeals to me about classic bikes: Fun simplicity. Sure, they lack appeal for those who prefer to build up a vintage lugged frame with NOS or refurbished parts; and they aren’t high going to be cross shopped by anyone out to emulate the pro peloton.

But, for those of us who like the simple, classic look without having the space or inclination to setup a workshop and start building up an eBay find; or who don’t want the latest disc brake carbon fiber wonder bike, this State is wonderful. It looks good at a reasonable price and will give the joy of simple riding. These these bikes are an excellent proposition. I hope they sell well.
I agree.

Anyone have any insights to this company? I’ve only seen a few State bikes in person in the Bay Area, but I admire their approach to designing and marketing bikes. They definitely put in a lot of thought into all their bikes. Check out their webpage on their “retired” models. They have been quite busy. I like the road bike models, even with the short comings pointed out here. The new 4130 fixed free is also intriguing: room for 38mm tires and segmented fork. How are they able produce so many different models?
Likes For retroshifter: