Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you jump obstacles on your road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you jump obstacles on your road bike?
No, jumping is for idiots. I actually look where I'm going...
10.53%
Sure, I jump everything, even things I can safely ride around.
17.54%
I only jump in an emergency.
65.50%
I jump/ride off of curbs, but I don't jump over things.
6.43%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 02:42 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find myself having to jump the odd pothole or texas gate now and again. I'm wondering how many road riders do this as well...
Old 06-18-06, 02:44 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'll pull the ocassional clipped-in bunny hop to get over a big crack or pothole, but usually I don't have to do anything too fancy.
Old 06-18-06, 02:46 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my experience with jumping over things has not been good
Old 06-18-06, 02:46 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
only when I want to rebuild my wheels. . .

that said when something is unavoidable I've been known to attempt
it (not very good at bunny hopping). Its pretty rough on the wheels
a roadie doesn't have the rims of a MTB or BMX, pretty easy to taco a
wheel that way.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 06-18-06, 02:54 PM
racingpain
Ameture Racing Cyclist

Bikes: Trek 1000 road bike and Trek 820 Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only jump obsticals in a emergency...I also have problems bunny hopping...I can jump the front wheel and back wheel but so far not at the same time. So it is a choice for me at this point is it more dangerous to take it in the front or in the back of the bike.
Old 06-18-06, 02:59 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I jump things when I can't get around them easily. As an example, I was cruising along on yesterday's ride at about 45 km/h [tailwind], and I came up behind two riders who slowed down to cross a cattle guard. I swung wide [after a quick shoulder check] and jumped the whole guard, landing smoothly and riding away in style. I don't think I've ever busted a wheel doing this - but there's always next ride...
Old 06-18-06, 03:06 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Sometimes I jump to avoid a sharp bump or crack. But to clear it safely with both wheels I must be going at a minimum of about 25 kph. If slower, the back wheel hits the obstacle. I've heard pros jump railroad tracks (!).
Old 06-18-06, 03:08 PM
mcoine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hah, look at all the roadies that can't bunnyhop! A lot of you are saying that bunnyhopping will destroy your wheels, but a good bunnyhop is far less stress than a direct hit in a pothole. I have done it, and have never had any problems.
Old 06-18-06, 03:14 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Saw a guy flying through Piedmont Park (large park in downtown Atlanta) the other day. He was riding what appeared to be a late 90's Bianchi road bike. He was not wearing a jersey or racing kit, but wore t-shirt and shorts. He was really moving quick down the road section then bunny hopped the curb to a walking/path section when he came to the steps he downshifted and climbed up a steep grassy hillside then reentered the pathway above the steps. He was smoking fast.
Old 06-18-06, 06:20 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racingpain
I only jump obsticals in a emergency...I also have problems bunny hopping...I can jump the front wheel and back wheel but so far not at the same time. So it is a choice for me at this point is it more dangerous to take it in the front or in the back of the bike.
If you ride with clipless pedals it's pretty easy. Get your pedals horizontal, keep your hands on the tops or hoods, and spring upwards with your body. Pull your bike up with your hands and feet -- voila! You're airborne! It takes a little practice, but you too can learn to fly...
Old 06-18-06, 06:29 PM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As said before, bunnyhopping a large pot hole, cattle guard, railroad tracks or whatever is generally easier on your wheels if you will hit the obstacle at speed otherwise.
Old 06-18-06, 06:34 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
hah, look at all the roadies that can't bunnyhop! A lot of you are saying that bunnyhopping will destroy your wheels, but a good bunnyhop is far less stress than a direct hit in a pothole. I have done it, and have never had any problems.
Hear hear. I don't understand the issue really. I regularly jump my roadbike over stuff such as potholes, harsh railroad tracks, rooted or broken up sections of pavement or when I want to transition up a curb. Generally I only do it in times of emergency but I still practice it nevertheless when I safely can. I think it's a good skill to have and my road bike wheels are not all that fragile. Knowing how to smoothly bunnyhop or transition to a landing from a drop is something that I think should be basic skill. And you're right, hitting a square edge of a pothole at speed is going to do a lot more damage than any jump will which if done right puts no more excess stress on your wheels than a hard sprint.
Old 06-18-06, 06:35 PM
Barca
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just can't bunnyhop..
Old 06-18-06, 07:00 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it quite often since I'm always contending with broken pavement and inconvenient traffic. I'm over 165 and my high mileage wheels are 28h x3. So far so good, I might be a little less enthusiatic with a radial laced 20h in the front but I don't own one of those.
Old 06-18-06, 07:02 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Hear hear. I don't understand the issue really. I regularly jump my roadbike over stuff such as potholes, harsh railroad tracks, rooted or broken up sections of pavement or when I want to transition up a curb. Generally I only do it in times of emergency but I still practice it nevertheless when I safely can. I think it's a good skill to have and my road bike wheels are not all that fragile. Knowing how to smoothly bunnyhop or transition to a landing from a drop is something that I think should be basic skill. And you're right, hitting a square edge of a pothole at speed is going to do a lot more damage than any jump will which if done right puts no more excess stress on your wheels than a hard sprint.
+1 Do it all the time...much better then a direct hit assault with broken pavement...edges of wooden bridges etc. Up off the seat, hands on the hoods and yank. Power of pull is proportional to the size of the obstacle No wheel problems either...but I don't ride real light wheels and I am 185 lbs.
Believe there is more stress on my steerer, stem and handlebars then my front wheel.
Cheers,
George
Old 06-18-06, 07:08 PM
jeff_o

Bikes: Custom built 55cm Tange 2 w/ Shimano RX100 Group

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been riding for years sometime mid 90s and if you were ever in the philippines, you would know how 'nice' our roads are... so during training on open road, if we couldn't avoid potholes (because we share the road with cars and car drivers there are like maniacs), we just jump over them... so far my wheels are still in 1 piece and i never had a problem. We still have 36hole rims back then... i just dunno maybe because the wheels you guys are using have +-20 spokes or so. just my 2cents.

Also what exactly is a wheel taco? is that a chipped off portion of your rim?
Old 06-18-06, 07:29 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff_o
i just dunno maybe because the wheels you guys are using have +-20 spokes or so. just my 2cents.
I'm rolling with Ksyriums (18 in the front, radially laced and 20 in the rear, radial lacing on the driveside) and haven't had any problems despite the bashing I put them through.

Originally Posted by jeff_o
Also what exactly is a wheel taco? is that a chipped off portion of your rim?
A wheel taco is what happens when you case a jump or something and warp the wheel in such a way as to make it look like a taco shell.
Old 06-18-06, 09:37 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I actually like hopping my road bike. I can get like, a foot of air on both wheels cause it's much easier jumping my 20lb road bike than my 35lb commuter.
Old 06-19-06, 02:51 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by khuon
+1. Kind of a no brainer to me. Bob
Old 06-19-06, 03:31 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There was a great clip of a rider hopping up onto the center divider and switching to the other side of a traffic circle in the tour de suisse recap coverage yesterday when he realized that side was shorter.
Old 06-19-06, 03:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
As some others have said, a bunnyhop is a hell of a lot easier on your wheels than plowing into a pothole or curb. IMO, it's an essential bike handling skill.
Old 06-19-06, 03:46 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I actually like hopping my road bike. I can get like, a foot of air on both wheels cause it's much easier jumping my 20lb road bike than my 35lb commuter.
I thought your commuter was a litespeed..
Old 06-19-06, 03:53 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I had to bunnyhop a pothole Saturday; didn't see it because I was pointing out another pothole. Good times.
Old 06-19-06, 03:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just think of a bunnyhop as a Z-axis swerve.
Old 06-19-06, 03:57 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the Clydesdale all the other horses make fun of for being fat. That said, I bunny hop stuff all the time... the metal joints on the Brooklyn Bridge, potholes, whatever.

I figure that my mass slamming my rim into something is going to be a lot worse for my rims than the landing.

So far, I've never taco'd a road wheel.

(I did a mtn bike wheel once jumping a log into a little puddle. It turned out I was jumping into a hole filled with water disguised as a simple puddle. Mother Nature created it, I'm convinced, to punish those of us who did not show her her due respect that day... But that is a posting for a different board...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.