Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I be concerned? (Ebay Transaction)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 08:01 PM
lancewho05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long story short, I sent an email to a Ebay seller this afternoon right before his auction ended and offered him $1300 for a 06 Zurich that had not been bid on at his starting price of $1500. I thought for sure I wouldn't hear from him considering $1500 seemed reasonable for an 06 which he has listed as only having 40 miles on it and not having a single scratch. Anyways, he writes back a few hours later and says he'll accept $1300 plus shipping. Should I be concerned? I sent the email about an hour before the auction ended asking him to drop his starting bid, hoping I could get it that way, but he didn't. First, what would you do? Should I ask him to repost it with a $1300 buy it now. Second, is it a good deal? Just considering price, not fitting or geometry. Although I never have riden a Lemond. Here's the listing. Also, the guy has a perfect %100% feedback rating with almost 300 sales.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1
Old 06-25-06, 08:08 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he has a 100 percent score he seems like he would be trustworthy, and I would send him the cash pay-pal so you are protected.
Old 06-25-06, 08:09 PM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know a ton about ebay.... normally (I will be corrected if wrong) the seller has the option to have the high bidder or any other bidder for that matter have a "second chance" at winning the item if the reserve was not met. But since you didn't bid because of the high starting bid I have no idea.

The person has good feedback... I would email him what he wants to do and see what he suggests
Old 06-25-06, 08:17 PM
lancewho05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bids were made. So we can't do a second chance buyer option he says. Waht do you guys think about the bike for that price? One person mentioned paypal protects me, is that correct? Here is his second email.

I sent you a reply through ebay but im not sure if it worked.....I have a bike shop but we just closed it. So im trying to sell some of the inventory. thats why this bike was on ebay. I cant to the second chance because the item wasent bid on. thanks
Old 06-25-06, 08:23 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The local Trek dealer has the same bike for $2200. $1300 doesn't sound bad if it's almost new. You'll have to pay for shipping and probably a tuneup but you won't have to pay sales tax. Ultegra stuff is good. If you ride a 53 and like this bike I would say you got a good deal.
Old 06-25-06, 08:45 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Lancewho05

I buy and sell on ebay a lot ...and honestly... I'd ask him to relist it for $1300 with a buy it now. I wouldn't send him $1300 through paypal without an auction #/winning bid/buy. Sorry, but even with good feedback/seller rating, you aren't covered. Technically...this is illegal. Since ebay and paypal are pretty much one and the same. Buying the item outside of auction the way you describe would leave you little to no options if the buyer did for any reason try to stiff you. Just my advice. I've had to deal with a couple of situtaions with sellers and it ain't pretty. Your talking about $1300 here. Ask him to relist as Buy It Now for $1305 plus shipping to ($5.00) for the extra relist fee and his trouble.
Old 06-25-06, 08:48 PM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle17
Lancewho05

I buy and sell on ebay a lot ...and honestly... I'd ask him to relist it for $1300 with a buy it now. I wouldn't send him $1300 through paypal without an auction #/winning bid/buy. Sorry, but even with good feedback/seller rating, you aren't covered. Technically...this is illegal. Since ebay and paypal are pretty much one and the same. Buying the item outside of auction the way you describe would leave you little to no options if the buyer did for any reason try to stiff you. Just my advice. I've had to deal with a couple of situtaions with sellers and it ain't pretty. Your talking about $1300 here. Ask him to relist as Buy It Now for $1305 plus shipping to ($5.00) for the extra relist fee and his trouble.

+1 go with cycle17's advice... It is legeit and if you have any trouble ebay will be more willing to help since you didn't go outside the parameters
Old 06-25-06, 08:48 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lancewho05
No bids were made. So we can't do a second chance buyer option he says. Waht do you guys think about the bike for that price? One person mentioned paypal protects me, is that correct? Here is his second email.

I sent you a reply through ebay but im not sure if it worked.....I have a bike shop but we just closed it. So im trying to sell some of the inventory. thats why this bike was on ebay. I cant to the second chance because the item wasent bid on. thanks
Again...simple for him...no second chance...he just relists it as "Buy It Now" for $1300 and sends you the item number by e-mail. Then you buy it, paypal it and your covered. Doing it just by paypal outside of ebay is not something I'd advise.
Old 06-25-06, 08:53 PM
rob999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my outlook on Ebay:

Most sellers are honest and just looking sell thier goods

Some people aren't.....Feedback is the solution to that and works pretty well, account hijacking is the exception...

i look at the feedback, the number is not important to me as much as the number sold (purchases are included in the number). Also, I like to look at thier past sales, if it is items of similar type the that is good. I even go one step further, if the person does not have a lot of sales check out some of the buyers and be sure they look legit. I have seen a scam on ebay where people 'buy' and leave positive feedback within minutes of the sale...must use a different post office than me...

I have bought and sold many things and if you use general good sense and ask questions you are usually fine. Paypal offers some, but not much protection... they cant be totally anonymous, but they aren't exactly on the line either.

Just my 2 cents...

Edit, I agree, if you go outside of paypal then you leave there protection (again not great but they will do nothing if you leave the protocol)
Old 06-25-06, 09:29 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The seller should not have a problem with relisting the bike with a buy it now price on it. If he is not willing to do that you might want to pass.
Old 06-25-06, 10:33 PM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people don't stick to the computer all day long, so it is normal that people can't respond to question right the way. So I am not concerned about him not replying 1 hour before the auction ends. Yeah, just have him relist the bike. *most* people won't start bidding at $1500, unless the bike costs a lot more. It is interesting, most people like to bid from a lower price, high initial price discourages people unless it is a steal.
Old 06-25-06, 10:53 PM
lancewho05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he was happy to relist and I just bought it for $1355, i'm stoked.
Old 06-26-06, 06:25 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations. Enjoy the ride & fine bike. Bob
Old 06-26-06, 07:37 AM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good for you. Usually a honest seller will not have a problem relisting for a solid buyer (I wouldn't). Enjoy the new ride!
Old 06-26-06, 10:55 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technically...this is illegal. Since ebay and paypal...............

That is the biggest ebay joke to come down the pike. A bid is a contract but a listing is what? Something that is pulled, ends early, sorry listing mistake or whatever sorry excuse you can make up.