Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs Purposefully Hurting Someone in a Post? - Why?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+'rs Purposefully Hurting Someone in a Post? - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 10:01 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
You're the moderator & you are free to set the 'tone': a number of the other forums have 'trolls' that take their jollies from being snide or pernicious in their remarks.

As a 'relative' newbie, I'd like to think I know my place (!).
Tom
I am NOT, repeat, NOT a moderator. I am repulsed by the thought. That would be the last thing I would like to accomplish or be. Shuddder!

Tom, I was joking with you a while back about "newbie" and I think I expressed my joke poorly and you took it the wrong way. Sorry if you took offense. I tend to joke a lot with a somewhat dry sense of "humor" (well humor to me - but likely not to many others!). Sometimes folks misread that.

And your place is a full participant in the forum. There is (or should be) no pecking order here.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-26-06 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 10:19 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I just don't understand the attacks. If there is disagreement, well that's fine. Attacking certainly isn't going to win over the other individual. It seems so pointless.
And if you don't agree with me you're a flaming idiot!

I just couldn't resist.
Old 07-27-06, 04:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Ok! Ok! Ok!

As the unofficial 50+ chaplain, I appreciate all this time spent in confession. You have not held back, and this is good. But now it is time for an "Assurance of Pardon." The one I'm using this Sunday is from Psalm 145:13-18.

Leader: The Lord is faithful in all his words, and gracious in all his deeds. The Lord upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand, satisfying the desire of every living thing.

All: The Lord is just in all his ways, and kind in all his doings. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

I hope this adds to discussion.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-27-06, 05:20 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Do you have some sort of radar or spy system telling you just when to stop harassing the A&S forum and pop into the 50+ forum for a SA remark, pretending you meet the requirements?

50 lashes to you!
Shouldn't that be 50+ lashes?
Old 07-27-06, 05:28 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Ok! Ok! Ok!

As the unofficial 50+ chaplain, I appreciate all this time spent in confession. You have not held back, and this is good. But now it is time for an "Assurance of Pardon." The one I'm using this Sunday is from Psalm 145:13-18.

Leader: The Lord is faithful in all his words, and gracious in all his deeds. The Lord upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand, satisfying the desire of every living thing.

All: The Lord is just in all his ways, and kind in all his doings. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

I just thought I should think of a Jewish parallel to this, but then I noticed it's from Psalms, so it is Old Testament, not New. Just shows what you can learn by re-reading more carefully!

Ken - Omeyn!
Old 07-27-06, 05:44 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Shouldn't that be 50+ lashes?
Yeah!
Old 07-27-06, 05:48 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you have some sort of radar or spy system telling you just when to stop harassing the A&S forum and pop into the 50+ forum for a SA remark, pretending you meet the requirements?

50 lashes to you!
I see everything, my son.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-27-06, 05:51 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Ok! Ok! Ok!

I'M MELTTTINGGGGG.....oh what a world, what a world...
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-27-06, 05:56 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by chipcom
I see everything, my son.
When you reach your 50th, we will have a virtual birthday party and officially welcome you into the fold.

We will put this in our "suspense file" ready to be opened in a couple of years.
Old 07-27-06, 06:03 AM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
You're the moderator & you are free to set the 'tone': a number of the other forums have 'trolls' that take their jollies from being snide or pernicious in their remarks.
Somewhere in the "rules and regulations" of this site I'm willing to bet, (yup, I've never read them and probably never will.... ) There is a clause that's states something to the effect that "Bullying and intimidating others will not be tolerated". I have yet to see a moderator step in and stop a bully. So Trolls are there by encouraged to .....bully or at least attempt to. All in the name of Free speech... Hogwash! I really think sometimes the Moderators are as afraid of the Bully's as anyone.
Old 07-27-06, 06:04 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I just thought I should think of a Jewish parallel to this, but then I noticed it's from Psalms, so it is Old Testament, not New. Just shows what you can learn by re-reading more carefully!

Ken - Omeyn!
Ken,

It should even work for our Muslim 50+ posters!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-27-06, 06:07 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Grampy™
Somewhere in the "rules and regulations" of this site I'm willing to bet, (yup, I've never read them and probably never will.... ) There is a clause that's states something to the effect that "Bullying and intimidating others will not be tolerated". I have yet to see a moderator step in and stop a bully. So Trolls are there by encouraged to .....bully or at least attempt to. All in the name of Free speech... Hogwash! I really think sometimes the Moderators are as afraid of the Bully's as anyone.
Not true. If you bring it to the atttention of the mods, they will usually take some action, especially if it is egregious. It happens a lot, you just don't hear about it. There are 61,125 (counting BP's multiple personalities) members and about 12 mods. They don't see everything.

Administrators

HostGeekZ
Joe Gardner
Utah
koffee brown
Alexandria, VA
Maelstrom
Whistler,BC

Super Moderators
User Name / Location Contact
a2psyklnut
From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Chris L
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Expatriate
Not Australia
hi565
Wayland, Ma
Juha
Helsinki, Finland
khuon
Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
KonaRider24
la Nuovo-Jersey, in cui il deboli sono uccisi e mangiati.
lala
monument, co
lotek
a salty piece of land
MediaCreations
Perth - Western Australia
phantomcow2
NH
Rev.Chuck
Raleigh NC
RonH
Atlanta (Decatur), Georgia USA

https://69.16.211.161/faq.php?faq=bas...aq_harrassment

Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-27-06 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:13 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Which brings to mind... I don't recall seeing a blue star in this forum... Who is the mod for this forum.

Mind you, I might see the blue star hundreds of times a day, it is just for the moment I don't recall seeing it.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-27-06, 06:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Which brings to mind... I don't recall seeing a blue star in this forum... Who is the mod for this forum.

Mind you, I might see the blue star hundreds of times a day, it is just for the moment I don't recall seeing it.
There is not a specific mod for each forum. Each of the moderators share all of the forums amongst them.
Old 07-27-06, 06:29 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When you reach your 50th, we will have a virtual birthday party and officially welcome you into the fold.

We will put this in our "suspense file" ready to be opened in a couple of years.

Thanks for having faith that I will make it to 50!
Old 07-27-06, 06:30 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

Post some girly pics and I am sure Koffee will come a callin.
Old 07-27-06, 06:31 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Denver; Good thread. Thanks for raising the subject. Bob
Old 07-27-06, 06:37 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Wow, looking at the list of moderators, I see Ron H listed. He's the one you all ran off this forum a year or so ago.

Old 07-27-06, 06:38 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Wow, looking at the list of moderators, I see Ron H listed. He's the one you all ran off this forum a year or so ago.
Maybe 2 years ago?

And, we weren't very effective. He still posts here.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-27-06 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:57 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally threads go bad for a couple of reasons:
1. Trolls - these people want to get a reaction and will say outrageous things just to see the affect
2. Someone makes a comment that people don't agree with and then someone puts a label on the person and off they go back and forth

If I want that type of action I will go over to P&R II. You get some good dialogs going on there

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-27-06, 07:04 AM
quickKarl
zugig

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used to post on forums of all kinds, then got flamed and put down, bad. Result very reluctant to post much. this forum seems to be better than most. my guide line is, only post if you can help.

karl
Old 07-27-06, 07:11 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by stonecrd
Generally threads go bad for a couple of reasons:
1. Trolls - these people want to get a reaction and will say outrageous things just to see the affect
Being an effective troll requires real skills.

A really good troll is one who is not identified as a troll. Simply pushing the discussion around in the direction one wants it to go, creating disruption, laying back and not posting too often, being very subtle about it. We currently have one very effective troll on the 50+ forum, but I have him/her figured out.
Old 07-27-06, 08:05 AM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being an effective troll requires real skills.

A really good troll is one who is not identified as a troll. Simply pushing the discussion around in the direction one wants it to go, creating disruption, laying back and not posting too often, being very subtle about it. We currently have one very effective troll on the 50+ forum, but I have him/her figured out.
Pushing a discussion towards a certain direction is Trolling? Not True. Not in my book. That is called open discussion. Just because someone wants to debate by throwing out different opinions or wants to stir up debate, it shouldn't be concidered Trolling. Creating a disruption? Probably. Not posting very often? This should never mark someone as a Troll.

By your deffinition, every one that isn't labeled a Troll, is a Troll. (Sorry, just Trolling here.... )
Old 07-27-06, 08:24 AM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CORRECTION, CORRECTION: Dnvr is NOT the Moderator BECAUSE:

1) he doesn't wear the BLUE STAR (something else I learned today)

2) at 50+, we're all self-regulating on our meds & therefore on our posting

3) at 50+ I/most of us wouldn't be able to remember what the BLUE STAR meant anyway
Old 07-27-06, 09:49 AM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By two bits-I'm a newbie also, and also would like to think I know my place, but have certainly never felt put in my place by anyone on the BF50+. I have learned and laughed so much since I found this forum, I would miss it very much if I didn't check it often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.