Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ti bike for large rider (6/4 vs. 3/2.5)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ti bike for large rider (6/4 vs. 3/2.5)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 05:55 PM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ti Lightspeed Ultimate features a uique geometry, I'll admit. I can change the seatpost, crank, wheelset, tires, psi and change the stiffness of the ride.
Ti is similar to either 525 or 753 Reynolds steel in stiffness of ride.

When is it too stiff?

Yes, the newer Lightspeed Ti is ovalized to soften the harshness but I consider this a plus.

Someone asked why not Douglas.... I'll take the piece of mind that a Lightspeed warranty brings.
Old 07-30-06, 06:36 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get the merlin
Old 07-30-06, 10:13 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 06 Litespeed Ultimate and the front triangle is very stiff. I'm 6'6" @ 230 lbs.
Old 07-31-06, 12:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by H1449-6
Any material (with the possible exception of bamboo) can be made into a stiff or compliant frame.

Example:

Aluminum: stiff (Klein and Cannondale); compliant/whippy: Vitus, old Alan

Stiffness is largely a function of tubing diameter and shape. Most newer Ti frames, particularly in the larger sizes, have an oversized down tube, which is one of the key design elements that will lend greater stiffness.
I agree. In Ti, you can make a relatively stiff frame in 3/2.5 or 6/4. My Merlin Extralight is sufficiently stiff for me at 200lbs. Even though its made with 3/2.5, the oversized tubing, and ovalized bb make it stiffer.

As a marketing/design matter, I think you'll find that bikes made with 6/4 are likely to be stiffer than some 3/2.5's because they're trying to market stiffness with the 6/4 (think Vortex vs. Ghisallo).
Old 07-31-06, 01:58 PM
IcemanYQQ

Bikes: Bianchi, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the input. I ordered a Tuscany, and should be here later this week.

Pretty exotic tube design, looks like something out of "Bladerunner".
Old 07-31-06, 03:08 PM
steveindenver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and I have heard ti is a bad material for heavy riders. it has more flex than steel and so when you put a big fellow on it like yourself it might feel kind of squishy : )
Ignore anything that person says in the future. Ti is a perfect material for riders of all weights. Of the two makes you mention, Merlin is still > Litespeed although the geometry of the Lites is a bit better for climbing.

Re: 3 vs 6. As a heavy guy (210 lean, 6'3) and owner of a few Ti bikes including two Merlins (1 roadie, 1 mountain) and A LS Tusc I would argue that you want to look at geometry first, second and third.

Regardless, I'd have seven build me a frame. Merlin went downhill after their acquisition and loss of everyone good and Litespeed was never really all that good in the first place.
Old 07-31-06, 07:27 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iluvfreebeer
I'm biased because I love my (I will insert my ride here: Lemond Ti), but I predict you'll be really happy with that sweet ride. Enjoy!----------------
+1. Good choice. Enjoy the ride. I trust that you will enjoy your Ti ride as much as the rest of us do. Bob
Old 07-31-06, 08:01 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcemanYQQ
Thanks to all for the input. I ordered a Tuscany, and should be here later this week.

Pretty exotic tube design, looks like something out of "Bladerunner".
Congrats on the Tuscany, Excellent choice

The 2006 looks to be a fine machine!