Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-11-22, 09:00 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
Likes For adlai:
Old 10-11-22, 09:04 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
If you need to walk, walk! Keep riding keep going up hills and you will get better on them.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-11-22, 09:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
Thanks for granting permission. I mean, I have felt such shame when walking my bike up hills, but now I'm free.
Old 10-11-22, 09:22 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
We have hills in our summer place in the Bighorn foothills that I avoid do to the excessive effort only to gain a big time braking decline, I love my lovely rides through the more gentle hills..
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-11-22, 10:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
We have some pretty steep roads here. The casual riders walk it most times, the serious/professional riders just avoid those roads
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-11-22, 10:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
The steeper the hill the smaller the mechanical advantage a bike has over jogging, i reckon under most circumstances there is a breakeven point where running becomes more efficient. The hill I live on tops out at 19% and its about at that point for me, I think running is faster but im terrible at running.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-11-22, 10:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I got passed by someone walking, carrying a bag of groceries, while riding up a very steep hill.

However, it is never, ever, acceptable to walk up a hill, unless you break your chain or crankset powering up the hill, and you are losing in excess of a pint of blood per hour from the resulting injury.

HTFU.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-11-22, 10:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Do I like to walk? No! Have I walked? Yes. Are bicycle shoes crap to walk in for anything longer than a few yards? Yes! Have I walked further than that? Oh, yeah. Walked most of a marathon (I was guiding a very slow wheelchair athlete) in bicycle shoes. Thankfully they were mountain bike shoes.

Know what is even worse? Walking down a hill because it is too steep and rugged. Done that too.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-11-22, 10:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Living in an area that is mostly up and down I have to be very selective in my short neighborhood routes. I am only good for climbs of less than 100 meters. My problem is that I don't want to give up and walk. I just have to keep going. To the point where my heart is pounding in my head, my lungs are burning, my front wheel is wobbling and my vision is getting narrow... Then... I step off and try to stay on my feet walking till recovery. Lately recovery is fleeting with nocturnal cramps on the horizon. I don't like to walk with a ride-able bicycle at my side. It's my Cone of Shame...

Old 10-11-22, 11:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Know what is even worse? Walking down a hill because it is too steep and rugged. Done that too.
Did a new climb on my road bike which ranged from 14-17% for about a quarter mile until my heart was at 185 and my legs were screaming. What I didn’t bargain on was the decent. I was very concerned about my disc brakes overheating and fading with zero run offs. As a result, I stopped 3 times to let the rotors cool. The heat coming off them was unreal when I placed my hand within a few inches.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-11-22, 11:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
My commute is like that. This is why I go through piles of pads and rotors (as I am also paranoid about crashing).

Added in Edit: Here is the profile,

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 10-12-22 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-11-22, 11:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My commute is like that. This is why I go through piles of pads and rotors (as I am also paranoid about crashing).
You must be a monster climber. I bow down.

I have only surrendered to two hills and walked. One was at the end of a very long ride on a 90 degree day with a 12% climb and I was past exhausted. The other was on the one I mentioned before since I was out of air and my legs were on fire. It’s a matter of personal pride that I don’t walk any climb so I don’t have to wear that cone of shame.

Old 10-12-22, 12:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Absolutely. Even the pros do it.

I gotta frequent this subforum less often.
Old 10-12-22, 02:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Getting off the bike and walking uphill doesn't mean that you are weak or out of shape. It simply means that your gear ratio isn't low enough for the hill or the hill is just too steep. I ride singlespeed and consider myself to be a pretty strong climber but there are times where I had to get off the bike a walk because the gear ratio was a little too high for that particular hill.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-12-22, 04:28 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
We have some pretty steep roads here. The casual riders walk it most times, the serious/professional riders just avoid those roads
Old 10-12-22, 05:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I know it's just a matter of stubborn pride, but I just won't walk a bike uphill on a road unless I've got a flat, broken chain, or other mechanical. On dirt, I have no pride because I know I suck at it.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with doing whatever you think is best to get over the hill. I have asked people if they were ok when I saw them walking up what I would consider a pretty easy hill, but it was just to see if they needed help. I'd rather risk embarrassing them with the question than risk leaving them stranded in distress.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-12-22 at 05:21 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-12-22, 05:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You must be a monster climber. I bow down.

I have only surrendered to two hills and walked. One was at the end of a very long ride on a 90 degree day with a 12% climb and I was past exhausted. The other was on the one I mentioned before since I was out of air and my legs were on fire. It’s a matter of personal pride that I don’t walk any climb so I don’t have to wear that cone of shame.

I have the same thing and I know it's totally irrational. Last Saturday, I had this weird thing happen to me when I didn't realize the road took a very sharp rise on the other side of a blind curve. I started the hill in way too high of a gear and got about 50 feet from the start of the slope before I really came to a stop as it was too late for downshifting to do any good. I ended up turning around, going back to the approach to the hill, and climbing it in a "do over". I was fine approaching it in an appropriate gear. I felt kind of silly doing the
backtrack, but was going to be damned if I was going to let the hill "beat" me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-12-22, 06:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I live on a hill . It is very steep and the locals use it as a gym for walking up and down. It is about 4 blocks long and I can make it 2 blocks , then it’s walking. I see a couple of guys that live up here ride up but they have modern bikes or mountain bikes with low gearing. I ride classic ten speeds so I walk every week. I thought I could build up the strength but after twenty five years….it ain’t happening! I made it once on my ten speed , I think I was 45 at that time and I did switch backs at least 4 times. At 68 I’m afraid , as Popeye would say, “I am what I am”. One guy puts his bike in his car and parks at the bottom of the hill ‘cause he got tired of walking back up , but I figure walking up the hill after my 40 mile loop is still exercise.

My water break after waking up the last two blocks.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-12-22, 06:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Getting off the bike and walking uphill doesn't mean that you are weak or out of shape. It simply means that your gear ratio isn't low enough for the hill ....
+2

My old Sears 10-speed (2x5) was awful on hills. Back when I lived in Peoria IL, there were various hills up and out of the river valley that I had to walk; they were too steep for that particular bike. And that was when I was in my twenties! Now thirty years later I can ride them no problem because I have more favorable hill climbing gears.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-12-22, 07:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Climb on the bike until you've got to get off. (Make sure you're well practiced at clipping out!) Then walk. Sometimes it's surprising how quickly using a different set of muscles will refresh you!
Old 10-12-22, 07:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I have low enough gears to handle all of my normal hills. But sometimes when I ride elsewhere, that's not low enough. Walking is just one more gear.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-12-22, 07:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The heat coming off them was unreal when I placed my hand within a few inches.
I sometimes mountain bike at a place where the parking is down a very steep hill. I was loading my car and a guy parked across from me came down the hill, looked at his front rotor and grabbed it. He jerked his hand back and started shaking it.
Old 10-12-22, 07:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know it's just a matter of stubborn pride, but I just won't walk a bike uphill on a road unless I've got a flat, broken chain, or other mechanical. On dirt, I have no pride because I know I suck at it.

The last time I remember walking on a road climb I broke the freehub body near the top of a steep little climb. It felt like the chain snapped and I didn't fall over, (I don't know how I got unclipped in time). It was so steep I couldn't walk up it on Look Delta cleats. I got over into the dirt and was able to walk to the top.

For 16 years I lived in a house with a steep driveway. It was only about 50 or 60 feet and had a right turn in the middle. If it was wet my 2 wheel drive truck would not go up it. I had an S-10 Blazer and it would go up in 2wd but would slide all over. I just put it in 4wd when the surface was wet.

Anyway after a long ride I could climb it on the road bike but the sudden full-on sprint when I was already tired made me feel like my heart was going to quit. I tried taking my shoes off and walking up it because I could not walk up it in road cleats. I even left some flip flops at the bottom sometimes.

Last edited by big john; 10-12-22 at 08:06 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-12-22, 07:49 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
The lowest gear on my comfort bike is 21 gear inches. That equates to about 5 kph @50 rpm. At this speed it takes about the same effort, perhaps less to just walk the bike. But the gravel hill that's most challenging for me only has short sections steep enough to require high effort, so it's better to just muscle through it until it eases up where 8 - 10 kph can be sustained.

But I have no problem walking up some hills too, Even if I can ride them. I often walk my bike on flats like in parks anyway, Or as a change of pace after a long ride.
Old 10-12-22, 08:07 AM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Kabuki, that is a beautiful bike and a nice shot of your riding area.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.