Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best Cleaning Product(s)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best Cleaning Product(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 01:13 PM
KC007

Bikes: Tom Ritchey, hand-made fillet brazed, Prestige - Chromoly, Mountain Bike; Ochsner Road Bike (Columbus - Chromoly)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best Cleaning Product(s)

Hello Forum Members:

I intend to clean a bunch of oil, dirt and crud out of my Sachs Aris Freewheel on a Mountain Bike that I own. Will a new bottle of mineral spirits do the job or do I need to go with a more expensive product like WD-40 Bike Degreaser? Please help!
Old 11-09-22, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
You doing it on the bike or off the bike? If off the bike, then it's hard to beat mineral spirits. On the bike mineral spirits will work too if you have a way to get it in there and not make a mess. But typically I just used WD-40. Not the de-greaser formula. More expensive than mineral spirits, but easier on my hands as I developed a sensitivity to straight mineral spirits. Breaks me out like poison ivy. Probably from years and years of using it. If you are just cleaning the outside of the cogs, then many of the spray on degreasers for automobile engines will work well if you have somewhere for the mess to drip.

Make sure to protect your brake pads and brake surfaces whether disc or rim. Also, when I was using de-greaser once and let it drip all over my rims, I think some went into the spoke holes and started working on the adhesive of my rim tape. So you might watch for stuff running down the spokes.

Best is subjective for most anything though. Depends entirely on the individual.
Old 11-09-22, 02:36 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
You can leave it on the bike. Take the chain off. 1st, use small brass brush to loosen crud. Maybe some degreaser. 2nd, use nylon brush & degreaser to clean more. 3rd, rinse w/water. 4th, dry/final clean using rags/Q tips.
I only use degreaser to clean my bike- wd 40 is for rusty/corroded fasteners.
YMMV- everybody has their own method!
Old 11-09-22, 03:07 PM
Dolphin North

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
You can leave it on the bike. Take the chain off. 1st, use small brass brush to loosen crud. Maybe some degreaser. 2nd, use nylon brush & degreaser to clean more. 3rd, rinse w/water. 4th, dry/final clean using rags/Q tips.
I only use degreaser to clean my bike- wd 40 is for rusty/corroded fasteners.
YMMV- everybody has their own method!
You're right, WD-40 is for penetration of rusty components, but it is also known as a degreaser. That's why it is not a great lubricant, it actually removes lubricants.
Likes For Dolphin North:
Old 11-09-22, 03:18 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Recently I discovered that Dawn Platinum Powerwash dishwashing spray is a pretty good degreaser. I’ve used it to clean a couple of my bikes/gear set recently. You can get it at the grocery store. The various citrus degreaser are good too. I use the Home Depot brand. — Dan

Dawn Platinum Powerwash
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-09-22, 03:43 PM
Yan 

Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Dish soap, WD-40, mineral spirits. Use whatever is the cheapest you can find. I use some no name brand penetrating lubricant (same as WD-40) from the hardware store.
Old 11-10-22, 03:47 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I use this guy's tools and products , just like he does plus nitrile gloves and Dawn platinum for the soapy water .

How to clean your bike chain and drivetrain like a pro: Top tips for fast, efficient cleaning - YouTube
Old 11-10-22, 04:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolphin North
You're right, WD-40 is for penetration of rusty components, but it is also known as a degreaser. That's why it is not a great lubricant, it actually removes lubricants.
Not specifically true. The solvent in WD-40 does dissolve whatever is there, but if you let WD-40 evaporate you will have a lightweight oil left over. It's not a great lube but it is a lube.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-10-22, 05:27 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
All I use is non citrus Dawn for Dishes, mixed in hot water, a scrub brush that will fit between the gears and chain rollers, and get at it, it takes the crud off just as good as all the solvents will but Dawn is a lot cheaper. Scrub the gears, rinse with water, either air blow it dry, or wipe the gears and chain down with a rag, and let it set overnight to evaporate any remaining water, then relube. Dawn citrus version contains acids, not good for chains and gears. You can also use Dawn for cleaning the bike, in fact when I do a major cleaning of the bike I do the chain and gears at the same time.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-11-22, 06:23 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Not specifically true. The solvent in WD-40 does dissolve whatever is there, but if you let WD-40 evaporate you will have a lightweight oil left over. It's not a great lube but it is a lube.
From WD-40's site
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product. The first company to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product commercially was Convair, an aerospace contractor, to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion..
Old 11-11-22, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
drinking straw brush, for between chain links & inside tight derailer spaces. more rigid than pipe cleaners
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-12-22, 11:46 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
From WD-40's site
Sorry, but you did not research the WD40 site far enough, had you done that you would found this: https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Where it states: Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-12-22, 11:58 AM
Schweinhund

From WD-40's site
I got it from here
https://www.wd40company.com/our-comp...d%20corrosion.

Did I get trolled?
Old 11-12-22, 12:36 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
OK... Just gotta put this in... Don't forget Diesel Fuel is an excellent cleaner...

Diesel Fuel = 5 USD/usgal
Charcoal Lighter Fluid = 12 USD/usgal
Mineral Spirits = 16 USD/usgal

Last edited by zandoval; 11-12-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 08:43 AM
Schweinhund

I got it from here
https://www.wd40company.com/our-comp...d%20corrosion.

Did I get trolled?
Apparently not. That IS the story of WD40 according to WD40.
https://www.wd40.com/history/
Old 11-13-22, 08:47 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Sorry, but you did not research the WD40 site far enough, had you done that you would found this: https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Where it states: Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Had I read what you wrote correctly, I would have pointed out that YOU did not read what I wrote.
But I missed that, so what part of what I said, did you have issue with??
Nothing I said was incorrect.
Old 11-13-22, 10:50 PM
rekmeyata

Had I read what you wrote correctly, I would have pointed out that YOU did not read what I wrote.
But I missed that, so what part of what I said, did you have issue with??
Nothing I said was incorrect.
What you were alluding to when you quoted this: From WD-40's site
Quote:
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product. The first company to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product commercially was Convair, an aerospace contractor, to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion..

That wd40 is a water displacement and not a lube, if you were not trying to say that then why did you copy that statement from WD40 if you were not arguing against it being a lube? Was it a simple case of failure to communicate?
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-14-22, 04:53 AM
Schweinhund

What you were alluding to when you quoted this: From WD-40's site
Quote:

That wd40 is a water displacement and not a lube, if you were not trying to say that then why did you copy that statement from WD40 if you were not arguing against it being a lube? Was it a simple case of failure to communicate?
I never said it was a lube, the other guy did. AND, to a limited aspect, it doe lubricate and as the other guy said as well, it's better than nothing. I was alluding to nothing, I will SAY what I mean.
Back off and pick your fights elsewhere.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-14-22, 08:19 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
The OP asked about WD-40 Bike Degreaser not WD-40, WD-40 is a brand/whole line of products today, yet people, as most above still seem to think that it is a single (the original) product. Foaming Bike Chain Degreaser | WD-40 Bike Degreaser | WD-40 (wd40.com)

For bike cleaning products, it can often be a case of you pay for what you get, and the more expensive will do a better job, but there is no reason you can't look at automotive versions which are often cheaper and do exactly the same job (although some may be more concentrated than the bike version, so test/be aware).

For using things like diesel, you may want to look at the disposal implications in your area, and the cost vs just buying a safer/more environmentally friendly product
Old 11-14-22, 08:27 AM
rekmeyata

I never said it was a lube, the other guy did. AND, to a limited aspect, it doe lubricate and as the other guy said as well, it's better than nothing. I was alluding to nothing, I will SAY what I mean.
Back off and pick your fights elsewhere.
I wasn't picking a fight, settle down, life isn't about fighting, Just because I'm stating facts doesn't mean I'm fighting, grow up, and like you I will SAY what I mean!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-14-22, 01:32 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
For the chain, I take it off and throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner with acetone. Simple green works good too, but I find it takes the luster off some chains and takes a few washes to get fully clean. Acetone works faster.
Everything else, I like the citrus cleaners because they're cheaper, smell good, and doesn't dry my hands out. I take the back wheel off and spray the cassette and use a stiff paint brush to get the muck off it. The rest of the bike, I spray it on a rag and wipe off things as needed.
Old 11-14-22, 02:06 PM
KC007

Bikes: Tom Ritchey, hand-made fillet brazed, Prestige - Chromoly, Mountain Bike; Ochsner Road Bike (Columbus - Chromoly)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have Muc-Off brush kit for cleaning. It does not have the cleaning / degreaser / lubricant stuff. I have Goof Off and Mineral Spirits - will start there and get the freewheel clean (i.e., put newspaper between freewheel and spokes thanks for your message
Old 11-14-22, 02:08 PM
KC007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like your Mathematics is that Calculus ? I have Muc-Off brush kit for cleaning. It does not have the cleaning / degreaser / lubricant stuff. I have Mineral Spirits and Goof Off - will start there and get the freewheel clean (i.e., put newspaper between freewheel and spokes thanks for your message
Old 11-14-22, 04:49 PM
Schweinhund

I wasn't picking a fight, settle down, life isn't about fighting, Just because I'm stating facts doesn't mean I'm fighting, grow up, and like you I will SAY what I mean!
Yes, you were. You went off half cocked and tried to cow me.
I was stating fact. Yours was opinion.
Old 11-14-22, 05:10 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
For the chain, I take it off and throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner with acetone. Simple green works good too, but I find it takes the luster off some chains and takes a few washes to get fully clean. Acetone works faster.
Everything else, I like the citrus cleaners because they're cheaper, smell good, and doesn't dry my hands out. I take the back wheel off and spray the cassette and use a stiff paint brush to get the muck off it. The rest of the bike, I spray it on a rag and wipe off things as needed.
I would caution that unless it's an explosion-rated ultrasonic cleaner (not all that common), if you use a flammable solution (like your acetone), you should put the solution (and item to be cleaned) in a sealed container (we use glass containers with screw lids) and use a water bath in the cleaner. The ultrasonic waves will travel through the glass.
Most ultrasonic cleaners (especially homeowner-types) are not explosion-proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.