Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Wow, You Must Be Rich!"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Wow, You Must Be Rich!"

Old 11-17-22, 03:29 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s sort of a running joke thanks to the number of times I have posted a photo of it.
Yes, sir. I am sure it is a beautiful bike, but I was responding to if you can retire at 58. I retired 18 months ago and had to consider the questions I posted.
Old 11-17-22, 03:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Are you single, have some healthcare, own transportation, and have no debt?
Yes to all except health insurance. I would be eligible for continuing coverage for up to 18 months out of my own pocket. After that, I would be at the mercy of the market. I have good, very affordable health insurance through work. That would be the biggest nut to give up.
Old 11-17-22, 03:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
I am sorry to confuse you. I responded to the members post with the same questions a financial planner would ask.
Are you a real one, or do you just play one on the internet?
Old 11-17-22, 03:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Yes to all except health insurance. I would be eligible for continuing coverage for up to 18 months out of my own pocket. After that, I would be at the mercy of the market. I have good, very affordable health insurance through work. That would be the biggest nut to give up.
i'd stick it out a few more years. are you currently covered with there dental & vision too?
Old 11-17-22, 03:48 PM
Chuck Naill

When I was between gigs I took out catastrophic polices just to protect assets in case.

In the US, unless you qualify for disability, SS and Medicare don't begin until the mid '60.

I wish you well and hope it works out. One shouldn't put off living.
Old 11-17-22, 03:50 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Are you a real one, or do you just play one on the internet?
Seriously, I didn't elicit anything from you. You chose to engage. Go away.
Old 11-17-22, 04:32 PM
indyfabz

One shouldn't put off living.
I know that. Fewer than two months after I turned 35 I volunteered to be downsized in the wake of an acquisition. Ended up taking nearly two years off from the working world to enjoy life. Among other things, I took three extended bike tours, including one of nearly four months in the U.S. and one of seven weeks in Andalucia, Spain. Would not trade the experiences I had for the money and career advancement opportunities I sacrificed, especially since I ended up getting my former job back. And no, I didn’t get any government benefits, like unemployment, during my time off.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-17-22, 04:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Troul
i'd stick it out a few more years. are you currently covered with there dental & vision too?
Yes. I wanted to stay until 60, but current conditions have become unacceptable. Unless I can change them, I cannot see myself staying there until 60.
Old 11-17-22, 04:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Yes. I wanted to stay until 60, but current conditions have become unacceptable. Unless I can change them, I cannot see myself staying there until 60.
Anything less than five years will go by faster than one may think. I'd wager to say you can do it as long as your health doesn't toss a wrench into your chain.
Old 11-17-22, 05:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
On the transportation, I think indy has posted a picture of his bike.
I am confused why you posted this? Have you become his spokesperson?
indyfabz has posted the photo of his bike numerous times, largely because it is quite a nice bike.
Old 11-17-22, 05:55 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I have spent much of the day trying to assess whether i can afford to quit my job in March, at the age of 58. I think it might be possible. Need a few more pieces of information to make a final decision.
Wow ... you must be poor to need soo many years of working
Old 11-17-22, 06:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
..."How much was your bike?", the correct answer was $700. That was a large enough amount that they knew you were a serious cyclist, but small enough amount that they didn't think that you were Cra-Cra.
I have been asked that a few times. My reply is often confusing... Originally, or as it is now?

I think the true value of the few bikes that I have could only be realized if I parted them out... Ha
Old 11-17-22, 07:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Good luck. I'm a bit older and have stayed longer than I ever thought I would have to. Health insurance is the real problem.

But I'm going some time next year for sure.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 11-17-22, 07:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
914s just happen to be cool af I think

Would love a 914-6 to mess about in.
My 71. Originally a 4 cylinder but swapped in a 3.0 911 engine. The whole car has been heavily modified, but didn’t want it to look that way.

71 with 3.0 6 cyl

Not a bicycle but shares the garage with one

Last edited by rsbob; 11-17-22 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 10:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have to confess to naively assuming lots of people in Saudi Arabia are wealthy. But I also recognize that is probably very inaccurate.
I believe the Saudi royals are pretty wealthy...The typical non-royal, not so much.
Old 11-17-22, 11:56 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My 71. Originally a 4 cylinder but swapped in a 3.0 911 engine. The whole car has been heavily modified, but didn’t want it to look that way.

71 with 3.0 6 cyl

Not a bicycle but shares the garage with one
My guy! That's a beauty. Real Fuchs?
Old 11-18-22, 03:43 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I believe the Saudi royals are pretty wealthy...The typical non-royal, not so much.
Saudi Arabia is no different from any other country. From the fabulously wealthy to the homeless and the Average Joe and Jane in between, there are people of all sorts of backgrounds in all walks of life. As a matter of fact, the social diversity of Saudi Arabia could easily be the envy of many "liberal" Western countries. The differences are just in the details. To keep this on topic, if you look at Google Earth, you'll quickly see that the urban sprawl, combined with the extreme climate, makes it impossible for most people to get around on a bicycle. That's why a Dutchman's Dutch bike is a Saudi's (or average expat's) 1998 Toyota Tercel.
Old 11-18-22, 05:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
So, I was staring at my old steelie the other day and reminiscing about my college days in 1990s Irbid, Jordan, and I had flashbacks about the many times that people - especially girls - made the assumption about me that I must be loaded for choosing to be commuting on such an expensive bike (which used to be a price-leader 10-speed at the time) instead of driving! What never occurred to a lot of people was that I cycled because I couldn't possibly afford to own a car, not to mention to rely solely on the chaotic public transit system. I always found the remark hilarious, and after a while, I stopped trying to correct people. Good times!
Your experience is completely different than what we cyclists experience here in Canada and North America....Over here any adult male who rides a bicycle for the purpose of commuting and errands is considered a DUI who lost his drivers license, lost his job and can't afford to drive.
Old 11-18-22, 05:49 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 725 Posts
Best looking 914 ever. I'm sure it scoots too.
Old 11-18-22, 06:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Your experience is completely different than what we cyclists experience here in Canada and North America....Over here any adult male who rides a bicycle for the purpose of commuting and errands is considered a DUI who lost his drivers license, lost his job and can't afford to drive.
I always am a bit amazed when some dumb ass gives me the tilting of the hand in the drinking gesture when they see me on a bike. Yeah buddy you are so clever you figured it out.
Old 11-18-22, 06:22 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Best looking 914 ever. I'm sure it scoots too.
Black or green would look best.

tho bobs is very tidy for a 50 year old car.
Old 11-18-22, 07:00 AM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
I was in that same spot the last few years. When you no longer recognize the profession you've been in for 30 years it's time to reevaluate. I stepped out in March.
Likes For phedge:
Old 11-18-22, 07:06 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have spent much of the day trying to assess whether i can afford to quit my job in March, at the age of 58. I think it might be possible. Need a few more pieces of information to make a final decision.
A couple of years ago, our accountant was discussing a plan for me to retire around 57. Then one morning when heading out to play golf he dropped dead. In less than two weeks, I will be 58 and still working. But I can afford to take a substantial reduction in pay next month to start a new job after nearly 38 years and my wife and I bought the building where he leased offices. While I dream of retiring early, I know my wife will put me to work for a zero dollar a year salary and ruin my plans.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-18-22, 07:37 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I learned the phrase back in the 80s that ”Perception is reality”. What others perceive is real to them.

Depending how I dress when I enter a store or dealership, has a great deal with the way I am treated, or not treated at all.

When I ride my carbon Bianchi, people my age, or older don’t initiate conversation. When I ride my 80’s steel Bianchi, suddenly I am worth talking to. I’ve had that happen with cars too,
Back in the early 2000s I was a car salesman for a while, and this statement was as far from reality as you can imagine. We had folks coming in who were "dressed-to-impress" whose credit rating was so poor it 'wouldn't buy them the steam off a hot dog' (as the NYC-bred sales manager called it). We also had folks coming in who were casual dressed in a t-shirt and shorts who could write a check for $30,000 for a vehicle without any worry. Interesting customer we had was a casually dressed big guy with a beat-up 4WD Toyota 4-runner (or Landcruiser? cant remember) and bought a $50,000 loaded 4WD Chevy Tahoe for cash; turned out he was a member of the Anaheim Ducks ice hockey team.
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-18-22, 08:48 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
On a bike in high school during the early seventies, guys would ask if I was mentally handicapped and girls wouldn't even see me.
Probably the only person in a hundred miles who knew the name Eddy Merckx.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.