Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Different Saddle for Indoor Trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-22, 08:32 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

When riding indoors (mainly Zwift workouts) I find my saddle uncomfortable, especially at slower power (more pressure on the rear). I have Selle Italia Flites on both my bikes and they’re generally comfortable riding outside.

I have a Brooks Professional that when I tried it outside this summer was okay, but I found the Selle Italias more comfortable. I’m thinking of trying it indoors.

Anyone use a different saddle for indoors, perhaps because when soft pedalling it’s more comfortable?
Old 11-20-22, 08:44 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
When riding indoors (mainly Zwift workouts) I find my saddle uncomfortable, especially at slower power (more pressure on the rear). I have Selle Italia Flites on both my bikes and they’re generally comfortable riding outside.

I have a Brooks Professional that when I tried it outside this summer was okay, but I found the Selle Italias more comfortable. I’m thinking of trying it indoors.

Anyone use a different saddle for indoors, perhaps because when soft pedalling it’s more comfortable?
Brooks B17 for me. I like the wider saddle and leather breathes better.
Old 11-21-22, 09:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Outdoors, I'm a Selle San Marco Regal rider. I was using that indoors, but, on the new bike that just went on the trainer, I am using a Brooks Swallow knockoff by Gyes. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. If I had a way to get more, I'd put one on all my bikes.
Old 11-22-22, 11:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I bought something like the below for trainer use. Cheap and little risk.
Works fine, but I don't typically much ever go over 45mins in a session because of boredom.

https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-M.../dp/B08BWZVRR5
Old 11-22-22, 01:23 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I reverted to my old favorite Selle San Marco Rolls saddle for indoors to prevent thigh rub and shredding my bibs. I have Ritchie Pro & normal Steem OEM saddle on all my outdoor bikes and never had any problems (longest single day saddle time is around 13 hours).

Only thing I found to alleviate saddle discomfort is to use a rocker plate. ~3 hour long was the longest I could stay on the bike before building my rocker. After that 3 hour ride, I needed a day or two before jumping back on. Now back-to-back >3hour is no problem and longest so far is just over 6 hours.

Last edited by kcjc; 11-23-22 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 11-23-22, 07:07 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Since my outdoor bike is my indoor bike, my saddle is exactly the same

I noticed that when my bike is mounted on my Saris H3 with the included riser block for the front wheel, my seat was titled slightly upwards at the nose, which isn't the case when the bike is off the trainer. I removed the front wheel block which made my saddle level again and I've found I don't get any weird discomfort anymore. In other words, make sure your bike on the trainer is setup similar to your bike off the trainer. I don't see any reason why riding indoors would necessitate a different saddle. Also, remember to stand-up and ride on occasion as it's too easy to stay planted on your butt when riding indoors which decreases comfort over long rides.