Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Rockhoppers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Rockhoppers

Old 05-23-14, 09:33 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
The chain is an easy fix, and if the seat adjustment is ok for you, then it is only academic. However, value on that bike because of condition is not very much. At 1.5 miles, you can always walk in a pinch, but if you are looking for dependability, I would be concerned about whether the BB and headset may be partly corroded due to the fact that the chain and rear cluster look as if they have been exposed to the elements, and the seat post could indicate the same... Possibly not stored real well.

I would personally keep looking.
Fuggedabout what Little Darwin said!
Having just been in NYC in April, that Rockhopper qualifies as pristine by local standards! If your friend is letting it go for a portrait of Ulysses Grant, buy it.
Old 05-23-14, 09:43 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I didn't notice it was NYC... Sometimes I forget to look, and I know that markets differ. Even though I am only 2 hours from NYC, the CL bikes here are a lot cheaper.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-23-14, 09:47 AM
dudeyagnarbro

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Felt F15X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Fuggedabout what Little Darwin said!
Having just been in NYC in April, that Rockhopper qualifies as pristine by local standards! If your friend is letting it go for a portrait of Ulysses Grant, buy it.
haha. What is the market rate for portraits of Ulysses Grant?
Old 05-23-14, 10:08 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dudeyagnarbro
haha. What is the market rate for portraits of Ulysses Grant?
$50
Old 05-23-14, 01:51 PM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I may have one of the oldest ones here I have already posted it on MTN/Drop/Conversions.

I believe it’s an 85 I acquired it in 87 the owner said he bought it two years prior. I did find this 85 Specialized catalog that shows the Rockhopper. It is specked. differently than mine if the original owner had made any upgrades I think he would have told me so to sweeten the buy.

12 | Specialized Catalogue 1985 | Retrobike

I have the Deore derailleurs and shifters but BR-AT 50 brakeset and Shimano 14-30 Freewheel I see this specs. Suntour for the derailleurs and freewheel.

Here’s a shot of what’s left of the serial number for you mystery buffs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rock#.jpg (60.0 KB, 1643 views)

Last edited by KAH; 05-23-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 02:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was going to say no more than a Double Andy.
Old 05-23-14, 09:21 PM
ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAH
I may have one of the oldest ones here I have already posted it on MTN/Drop/Conversions.
Mine is blue, built 70,000 bikes before yours, and matches the catalog specs. The oldest ones I've seen have all been blue. Not sure if the blue is a coincidence or not.
Old 11-18-14, 05:06 PM
nikku 

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Rockhoppers were indeed available in 1985 and ithey were equipped with with SunTour Mountech derailleurs and bull moose bars, and the frames were lugless and blue. Serial number?
Just picked one up off CL exactly like this, bull moose bars and everything. Took it to the LBS for a full tune up (they're way faster than me and I've discovered that by the time I buy replacement parts, it's not that much more expensive either) and the co-owner suggested that I donate it to a local bicycle museum since it was such a nice example in original condition. Certainly made me rethink my plans about that drop bar conversion.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it back this week.
Old 11-18-14, 05:49 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
can't wait to see it!
Old 11-18-14, 07:42 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 241 Posts
Here is a Rockhopper Comp that I picked up at Goodwill. I got it all cleaned up, lubricated and tuned and then flipped it.

Attached Images
IMG_0522.jpg (99.0 KB, 1960 views)
Old 11-18-14, 09:07 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by KAH
. . .

Here’s a shot of what’s left of the serial number for you mystery buffs

From the date stamp G0585: Built by Giant of Taiwan in May of 1985. The serial number matches the Giant format for that year. There is one earlier Rockhopper at the start of this thread.
Old 11-24-14, 09:07 AM
nikku 

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
can't wait to see it!
Here it is, in all of its pie plate / wheel reflector glory

Paid $130, which isn't a screaming deal, but not too bad either considering the condition.

Old Suntour Mountech RD:

It was listed on CL as a Specialized "Hybrid" bike, but as soon as I saw the bullmoose bars I knew better.

Paint's in pretty good shape other than some chips and spots where the cable routing wore through the paint.

I've since covered those spots with gaffer's tape, may do the clear nail polish thing later, but then I'll still have the same problems with cable rub. Welds aren't the nicest, but I really like the geometry of the bike; it feels much quicker than my similar vintage Mongoose ATB, though the Mongoose feels like it has a faster top speed (that may be due to gearing/tires more than anything). I'm going to replace those terrible plastic grips (which are likely original) with some cheap foam Ritchey grips, and replace the tires with some budget-friendly Kendas since they're starting to dry rot, but other than that I think I'll keep it as is. I initially picked it up for a drop bar conversion, but I'm pretty enamored with the bullmoose bars. I think this will be a fun bike.
Attached Images
PB220589.jpg (102.7 KB, 1717 views)
PB220592.jpg (94.6 KB, 1688 views)
PB220594.jpg (77.9 KB, 1664 views)
PB220596.jpg (95.7 KB, 1680 views)

Last edited by nikku; 11-24-14 at 09:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-24-14, 09:32 AM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by nikku
Here it is, in all of its pie plate / wheel reflector glory

Paid $130, which isn't a screaming deal, but not too bad either considering the condition.

Old Suntour Mountech RD:

It was listed on CL as a Specialized "Hybrid" bike, but as soon as I saw the bullmoose bars I knew better.

Paint's in pretty good shape other than some chips and spots where the cable routing wore through the paint.

I've since covered those spots with gaffer's tape, may do the clear nail polish thing later, but then I'll still have the same problems with cable rub. Welds aren't the nicest, but I really like the geometry of the bike; it feels much quicker than my similar vintage Mongoose ATB, though the Mongoose feels like it has a faster top speed (that may be due to gearing/tires more than anything). I'm going to replace those terrible plastic grips (which are likely original) with some cheap foam Ritchey grips, and replace the tires with some budget-friendly Kendas since they're starting to dry rot, but other than that I think I'll keep it as is. I initially picked it up for a drop bar conversion, but I'm pretty enamored with the bullmoose bars. I think this will be a fun bike.
You did a fantastic job. I had those Suntour thumb shifters on my '85 Sekai Bigfoot and now they're on my Motobecane. I really like these shifters. They look and behave very simply and, for me, there is beauty in simplicity. Your rear Derailleur looks like it might be a Suntour Cycline Mark II or an ARX. Either way should shift wonderfully. Clear fingernail polish works or clear enamel from a craft or hobby store.
Old 11-24-14, 09:38 AM
nikku 

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
You did a fantastic job. I had those Suntour thumb shifters on my '85 Sekai Bigfoot and now they're on my Motobecane. I really like these shifters. They look and behave very simply and, for me, there is beauty in simplicity. Your rear Derailleur looks like it might be a Suntour Cycline Mark II or an ARX. Either way should shift wonderfully. Clear fingernail polish works or clear enamel from a craft or hobby store.
Thanks! I really didn't do much to it at all, didn't have to. The RD is definitely Mountech, you can't really read the worn lettering in the photo, but it definitely says "Mountech". Good tip on clear enamel, I'll have to look into that.
Old 11-24-14, 09:40 AM
blart

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Goodwill find, but not a rockhopper. Instead, it is a "streetstomper," which is quite the name..

Old 11-24-14, 09:46 AM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by blart
Goodwill find, but not a rockhopper. Instead, it is a "streetstomper," which is quite the name..

I like that color scheme. How's the Street Stomoer different from some of the other Specialized mountain type bikes? Is it like a hybrid?
Old 11-24-14, 10:17 AM
blart

I think it was a low-end hybrid produced around 1987. There is very little info out there. Someone on this board did a drop bar conversion with the on-one midge rando bars and it looks great- i'd like to get it there some day.
Old 11-24-14, 10:21 AM
blart

Here we go:

Originally Posted by YoKev
They're pretty nice! Stock is a 6-speed Light Action SIS drivetrain with Sugino triple crank. The difference between this frame and the Stumpjumper was the steel: The StreetStomper is not butted. Post a picture of yours so we can compare. Here's mine:

As bought for $50. Completely stock and with very little use:

After adding On One Mary Bars:

After conversion:

Old 11-24-14, 11:37 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by nikku
The RD is definitely Mountech, you can't really read the worn lettering in the photo, but it definitely says "Mountech". Good tip on clear enamel, I'll have to look into that.
I've used clear nail polish as a thread locker for years. I just covered the screening on my Suntour LeTech and AR derailleurs- since those do seem to get abraded off pretty quickly.

While it hasn't clouded up or destroyed the ink on the screen- I haven't actually used either derailleur, so I don't know how well it'll protect that screen.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-24-14, 07:53 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My '85 RockHopper looked like this one. Maybe it was an '86? Anyway, I found one to replace it with a few years ago.

Also had the next year model. A yellow one with chainstay U brake.

Have one of these now also. Which is just like the yellow RH, only Dinucci Green.

And one of these, with 24" wheels but in gray/silver, waiting to be cleaned up/built up.

Had a Magenta/DGreen SJ and a Green/white RockCombo that same decade. Was working at a multi sport shop (cycle, ski, hike, camp, canoe/kayak, fly fishing) that sold Specs, Treks, C'Dales, Centurions (have an '85 Ironman) and Euro frames. Most fun job I ever had.
Attached Images
rps20141124_194511.jpg (56.4 KB, 1638 views)
87RH-DSCN0697.jpg (87.5 KB, 1635 views)
Stumpy.jpg (92.4 KB, 1642 views)
84Stump24Side.JPG (89.0 KB, 1641 views)

Last edited by ofgit; 11-25-14 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-25-14, 01:04 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I didn't hear mention of the fact that the RockHopper took the place of the StumpJumper Sport model in the lineup in 1985, so price-wise seems to have actually been a re-designed StumpJumper Sport, with extensive yearly updating (Unicrown fork, Specialized crankset, Saturae rims and a return to the lugless <<mostly TIG>> construction of the very first StumpJumpers) that occurred going into 1985.

My first MTB was a 1984 StumpJumper Sport that was lugged and had Mountech Derailers and Shimano MC70 brakes.

I bought an all-original 1986 RockHopper the other day, a red one (just like ofgit's, above) with deer-head mech's and Shimano MC70 brakes. I wanted it for the parts that I could use to build up my 1981 StumpJumper frame, 95th one ever built, but now have decided that this RockHopper needs to remain stone-stock as it is in very good condition overall. I payed $70 for it at Salvation Army. It sold for 30% off of $100 because of the color of the price tag.
Old 11-25-14, 01:42 AM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never find those kinda deals!
Old 11-25-14, 08:55 AM
nikku 

Originally Posted by dddd
I didn't hear mention of the fact that the RockHopper took the place of the StumpJumper Sport model in the lineup in 1985, so price-wise seems to have actually been a re-designed StumpJumper Sport, with extensive yearly updating (Unicrown fork, Specialized crankset, Saturae rims and a return to the lugless <<mostly TIG>> construction of the very first StumpJumpers) that occurred going into 1985.

My first MTB was a 1984 StumpJumper Sport that was lugged and had Mountech Derailers and Shimano MC70 brakes.

I bought an all-original 1986 RockHopper the other day, a red one (just like ofgit's, above) with deer-head mech's and Shimano MC70 brakes. I wanted it for the parts that I could use to build up my 1981 StumpJumper frame, 95th one ever built, but now have decided that this RockHopper needs to remain stone-stock as it is in very good condition overall. I payed $70 for it at Salvation Army. It sold for 30% off of $100 because of the color of the price tag.
Nice find! That's my only gripe about the '85 RockHopper, it doesn't have the Deore components. The Suntour works fine, but 80's Deore is great.
And thanks for the info on where the RockHopper fell in the Specialized lineup, pretty interesting.
Old 11-25-14, 07:02 PM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
One Owner 1985 Rockhopper

18 speed.
All original components, except tires & tubes.
Frame: Double Butted CrMo Custom Gauge, Made In Taiwan.
Derailleurs: Shimano Deore.
Crank wheel decal: Computer Designed Drive System Biopace, Shimano crank arms.
Quick release on hubs & seat post "Specialized".
Saddle: Vetta Italy.
Wheels: Saturae, 26 X 1.5 Japan.
Pedals: G-5000 MKS.
Shifters: Shimano Deore Light Action SIS (system indexed shifting).
Brake levers & calipers: Shimano.

The bike has been ridden a lot, many touched-up paint chips.
It is a favorite, which is why it is still kept in the house.
These were built when Shimano & Specialized were establishing their excellent reputations.
They are dream bikes in excellence & quality.
And, most important, rideability. Sweet ride.
Attached Images
002.jpg (96.2 KB, 850 views)
003.jpg (98.7 KB, 831 views)
004.jpg (100.9 KB, 818 views)
005.jpg (100.5 KB, 822 views)
007.jpg (95.4 KB, 820 views)
006.jpg (99.8 KB, 816 views)
008.jpg (94.8 KB, 819 views)
016.jpg (96.4 KB, 818 views)
010.jpg (99.7 KB, 822 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 11-25-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 10:21 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
18 speed.
All original components, except tires & tubes.
Frame: Double Butted CrMo Custom Gauge, Made In Taiwan.
Derailleurs: Shimano Deore.
Crank wheel decal: Computer Designed Drive System Biopace, Shimano crank arms.
Quick release on hubs & seat post "Specialized".
Saddle: Vetta Italy.
Wheels: Saturae, 26 X 1.5 Japan.
Pedals: G-5000 MKS.
Shifters: Shimano Deore Light Action SIS (system indexed shifting).
Brake levers & calipers: Shimano...
That must be a couple of years later than '85, given that the 86 model still had the non-indexed, original Deore "deer head" parts with seatstay-mounted rear brakes.

The StumpJumper from around that same year seemed to have what some would consider "the worst of everything", including Suntour indexing, BioPace chainrings, delicate 6sp freewheel axle and the under-chainstay-mounted U-brakes, but the frame geometry was at least finally getting modernized.

Around 1990 was when nearly everything seemed to be in order with Shimano MTB componentry, even the Exage gruppos were excellent but perhaps for the early "push-push" Rapid-Fire shifting, and only a bad suspension fork might present itself to mess things up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.