Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ICAN Frames?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ICAN Frames?

Old 06-22-22, 10:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey guys....bought a threadless steel fork from Soma. Next issue is the handlebar stem. Most are made for 1 1/8 diameter. I see that JensonUSA sells a "shim" to address that. Any concern with that? I wouldn't think so. I can also fabricate something pretty easily. Also, what's the skinny on "ZIPP" products? They sell a nice looking silver colored stem. Smelly, I need to hear from you on this! Thanks!
A shim is totally fine to use, but there are also plenty of stems made for 26mm and 25.4mm handlebar diameters. I have owned 26.0mm threadless stems from Easton, Ritchey, Kalloy, and VeloOrange.
As for ZIPP, that is a quality brand. Their more basic offerings run under the 'Service Course' model and are perfectly fine. Zipp Service Course is comparable in entry level offerings to the 4 brands I mentioned above.
Old 06-22-22, 10:20 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A shim is totally fine to use, but there are also plenty of stems made for 26mm and 25.4mm handlebar diameters. I have owned 26.0mm threadless stems from Easton, Ritchey, Kalloy, and VeloOrange.
As for ZIPP, that is a quality brand. Their more basic offerings run under the 'Service Course' model and are perfectly fine. Zipp Service Course is comparable in entry level offerings to the 4 brands I mentioned above.
*The following content has nothing to do with an ICAN frame.*

I think what ArgoMan needs is a shim that would "thicken" his 1" steerer to 1-1/8" so he can use more widely available stems. I also recently had to go that route to attach a 31.8 mm handlebar onto a 1" steerer, because I cannot find a stem for a 1" steerer that would also accept a 31.8 mm handlebar.
Old 06-22-22, 10:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
*The following content has nothing to do with an ICAN frame.*

I think what ArgoMan needs is a shim that would "thicken" his 1" steerer to 1-1/8" so he can use more widely available stems. I also recently had to go that route to attach a 31.8 mm handlebar onto a 1" steerer, because I cannot find a stem for a 1" steerer that would also accept a 31.8 mm handlebar.
Yes, very aware it has nothing to do with ICAN frames. Argo started a thread and asked another question within the thread, so I responded. I know he didnt buy a steel Soma fork for an ICAN frame.

I see now that 1 1/8" is the steerer diameter, makes more sense than the issue I explained.
ArgoMan - buy a shim and move on. Those things were included with stems for a period of time when bikes were equally split with 1" and 1 1/8" steerers. Some shims are long enough to use 1 1/8 spacers, others are only about 40mm and the length of a stem, which means using 1" spacers. Just FYI for appearances.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-22-22, 10:57 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks guys! Sorry for starting confusion about stems on a thread about carbon frames. I thought I had posted it in a different thread. But while were here, I saw that VeloOrange sells an adapter that will allow a threadless headset to be mated with a traditional quill stem. That would be great, as I love that look! Any ideas on that?
Old 06-22-22, 11:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Thanks guys! Sorry for starting confusion about stems on a thread about carbon frames. I thought I had posted it in a different thread. But while were here, I saw that VeloOrange sells an adapter that will allow a threadless headset to be mated with a traditional quill stem. That would be great, as I love that look! Any ideas on that?
I am not aware of this product. Really not sure how it would work either, to be honest. How would the threadless headset be preloaded?
Are you referring to a threadless stem adapter? If so, that is for a threaded headset and fork and allows a threadless stem to be used. That is different from what you mention though.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...s-stem-adaptor
Old 06-23-22, 05:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Are these frames designed for DIYers?
Old 06-23-22, 08:00 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You'll have to have the steering tube cut to your correct length. BB is press fit, so if you don't have the tools for that, your LBS can handle those items for you.
Running Di2 wires (or cables) through the frame isn't as hard as it sounds.
I guess "designed for DIYers" all depends on what you're comfortable with / capable of as far as working on bikes goes. But other than the steering tube and BB install, I built up my bike with no real issues.
Old 06-23-22, 05:13 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yeah you can make your own bearing press for like $20 with a threaded rod/nuts/washers (from home depot) and the appropriate drifts for your bearings (found online). You can cut a steering tube with a hack saw (use a high teeth blade and PPE if cutting carbon)
Old 06-23-22, 05:34 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Back to ICAN frames. I'd avoid a model that's disc, but with 130mm rear spacing instead of 142mm. As far as DIY, a frame is a frame. There's no cutting/facing tools needed but a RD hanger alignment tool is always wise to own. Press in cups can be done with threaded rod and washers. I watched the Hambini video. He couldn't find any problems, which is rare.

​​​​​​
Old 06-24-22, 06:48 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Back to ICAN frames. I'd avoid a model that's disc, but with 130mm rear spacing instead of 142mm. ​​​​​​
Not an issue. All of their disc road frames are 142mm rear spacing.
Old 06-24-22, 07:55 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I only mentioned DIY because of the brand name.
Old 06-26-22, 10:35 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Found it ...

Carbon gravel frame X-Gravel – ICAN Cycling

... but it only takes a 140 mm disc brake rotor?
They only list 140mm rotors F/B for my A22 frame as well, which I run. I see no reason I couldn't put a 160mm on the front which I may do. This bike rolls so well I end up riding the brake excessively on downhills (when riding in group situations) that they squeal for a bit likely due to heat build up.
Old 06-26-22, 05:39 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I have kinda the opposite: an adapter that fits in a traditional headset that lets me use threadless-type stems. So now I can use any modern stem with my old Serotta.

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...s-stem-adaptor

Is that what you're talking about? If so, that won't work with a threadless headset.

Old 04-02-24, 05:34 AM
Dann76

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scam website

Are icancycling.com , icanbikes.com and icanwheels.com all legit websites for ican?