Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Ultegra Di2 Auto connect to Edge 1030+

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 01:06 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts

Sometimes when I begin a ride, my Ultegra Di2 system does not automatically connect to my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus while other times it connects with no problem. If it does not connect, I can stop during my ride, go to the sensors menu on the Edge, click on Di2 and it will easily connect. Can anyone explain why the connection does not always occur automatically?
Old 07-27-22, 01:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Di2 usually goes to sleep. Activate with a single long press of large L button, the A junction should light up and that wakes the system, then gives the Edge something to connect to.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-27-22, 03:10 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Di2 & BT

Both my 8000 11sp Di2 & my 8100 12sp Di2 often take a few gear changes to be detected by my Garmin 830.

I old-Skool it until it catches up.

Barry
Old 07-27-22, 04:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
When I'm about to ride, I'll pick the rear of the bike up slightly, turn the pedals a few times, and shift the RD. This wakes my Di2 and my power meter up. While the Garmin is looking for satellites.

Every now and then the 1030+ just won't automatically connect to any sensors. I have to go into the menu and tell it to connect and then it does, instantly.

It isn't a matter of not being patient enough, something is up with the 1030+. The 130 doesn't have this issue, none of the Fenix watches do either. It doesn't happen every time or even most times, and there isn't an obvious pattern to when it happens.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-27-22, 04:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I haven't had any issues that I'd call an issue using my Edge 530. Should be pretty much the same on a 1030+ or just about any other Edge or Garmin device handling Di2.

If this is happening a lot, I might suspect the placement of your D-fly device or even a bad wire connection to it. Maybe try unplugging the wire and plugging it back in. Make certain you feel two clicks. Or do you have the newer 12 speed stuff?

I do the same as above and make sure I shift the Di2 once before starting the timer. I think pressing the button on the junction box is supposed to wake it up too.

Though I don't know if it's required for the Di2 connection to be picked up before starting the timer. One time I went for a ride and the Di2 didn't show up on the 530. Five miles later when I got to a decent place to stop, as soon as I manually stopped the timer with a button push, the Edge and Di2 connected. That's about the only issue I've had between Di2 and my Edge. And it was only once.
Old 07-27-22, 05:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
to get good reliable connections you really need to power it off not put it to sleep.
Old 07-28-22, 07:40 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Di2 usually goes to sleep. Activate with a single long press of large L button, the A junction should light up and that wakes the system, then gives the Edge something to connect to.
I will give your suggestion a try. The puzzling thing is the inability to auto connect only occurs sporadically and somewhat rarely. No pattern to it.
Old 07-28-22, 07:44 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
When I'm about to ride, I'll pick the rear of the bike up slightly, turn the pedals a few times, and shift the RD. This wakes my Di2 and my power meter up. While the Garmin is looking for satellites.

Every now and then the 1030+ just won't automatically connect to any sensors. I have to go into the menu and tell it to connect and then it does, instantly.

It isn't a matter of not being patient enough, something is up with the 1030+. The 130 doesn't have this issue, none of the Fenix watches do either. It doesn't happen every time or even most times, and there isn't an obvious pattern to when it happens.
Your last 2 paragraphs accurately describe my problem. While it may be an issue only with the 1030+, you would think that Garmin uses the same Di2 interface software in all of its products, but I may be wrong in that assumption.
Old 07-28-22, 07:45 AM
oldwinger14

Originally Posted by Iride01
I haven't had any issues that I'd call an issue using my Edge 530. Should be pretty much the same on a 1030+ or just about any other Edge or Garmin device handling Di2.

If this is happening a lot, I might suspect the placement of your D-fly device or even a bad wire connection to it. Maybe try unplugging the wire and plugging it back in. Make certain you feel two clicks. Or do you have the newer 12 speed stuff?

I do the same as above and make sure I shift the Di2 once before starting the timer. I think pressing the button on the junction box is supposed to wake it up too.

Though I don't know if it's required for the Di2 connection to be picked up before starting the timer. One time I went for a ride and the Di2 didn't show up on the 530. Five miles later when I got to a decent place to stop, as soon as I manually stopped the timer with a button push, the Edge and Di2 connected. That's about the only issue I've had between Di2 and my Edge. And it was only once.
I will check all the physical connections.
Old 07-28-22, 08:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I will give your suggestion a try. The puzzling thing is the inability to auto connect only occurs sporadically and somewhat rarely. No pattern to it.
Dependent on when you get around to noticing. If you've started rolling and have shifted, the unit is now awake and will show up on the Garmin screen, then you realize all is OK. If you are standing in the driveway and haven't yet moved, the data isn't there as the WU111 unit is not yet connected. I'm in the habit of checking my Di2 system when I take the bike off its storage hanger. I do a long press on the large L shift button to see battery status on a side of the A junction, thus I know the bike is ready to ride and the 111 unit is also now awake.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-29-22, 04:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Getting ready for today's ride I was careful not to activate my Di2 by bumping the shift levers as I normally do. After starting the timer and my ride, the Di2 did not come up and display on the screen. After a mile of shifting, I stopped. Then manually paused the timer, and it still didn't connect. So I stopped the timer and saved the ride, then the Di2 connected and was ready to go for my next ride.

Don't know it that is what is expected, but that is what happened this time and it's somewhat consistent with my one previous experience I mentioned earlier. Although then I didn't remember having to actually stop the timer and save the ride. But maybe I did. Or maybe this time I was in too big a hurry and didn't give it time.

Whether this has any similarity to your issue is for you to decide.
Old 07-29-22, 05:03 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Getting ready for today's ride I was careful not to activate my Di2 by bumping the shift levers as I normally do. After starting the timer and my ride, the Di2 did not come up and display on the screen. After a mile of shifting, I stopped. Then manually paused the timer, and it still didn't connect. So I stopped the timer and saved the ride, then the Di2 connected and was ready to go for my next ride.

Don't know it that is what is expected, but that is what happened this time and it's somewhat consistent with my one previous experience I mentioned earlier. Although then I didn't remember having to actually stop the timer and save the ride. But maybe I did. Or maybe this time I was in too big a hurry and didn't give it time.

The Garmin stops searching for devices after a period of time. No need to stop ride just go to home screen by swiping down and refresh connections. There you go all good.
Old 07-29-22, 05:36 PM
Steve B.

Not expected behavior. When I see no Di2 I usually go to Settings and Sensors, find the Di2 connection, open it, turn off Enable and reactivate. It'll pretty much always connect that that way.
Old 07-29-22, 10:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
The Garmin stops searching for devices after a period of time. No need to stop ride just go to home screen by swiping down and refresh connections. There you go all good.
​​​​​​I didn't know this. It might explain something I've seen a few times with my radar. What you say makes sense because Garmin has prioritized battery life to an extreme.
Old 07-30-22, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Easier said than done!

I have the Edge 530 and have to deal with buttons. What can be done simply with a swipe takes more effort with buttons. Even when they are on the top of my Di2 hoods. But then again, if Di2 is not connected to the Edge, I guess it wouldn't be recognizing those buttons.

Before I got my Edge 530, I was slowly changing my thinking about touch screens since Garmin had improved on their occasional issues so much via software updates and maybe even hardware changes in subsequent models. So I was starting to lean toward the Edge 1030+. However I was once again gifted a Garmin. So I am living with that until it's been an appropriate time to make it not seem like I didn't appreciate the gift.... 8 more years and counting I think. <grin>
Old 07-30-22, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not expected behavior. When I see no Di2 I usually go to Settings and Sensors, find the Di2 connection, open it, turn off Enable and reactivate. It'll pretty much always connect that that way.
That seems a little too complicated and shouldn't be necessary. I'd be calling Garmin Support if I had to do that very often.

As I mentioned in my other reply, I was intentionally keeping the Di2 in sleep so it wouldn't be active until after I started the timer. Other than the two experiences I mentioned in this thread, the paring has always been there and connected every ride for the almost two years I've had D-fly on the bike with Di2.

Although there was one time after a big SW update that I had to go back in and pair some sensors again. Not all of them though.