Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New 2022 Checkpoint

Old 04-03-22, 02:02 PM
ejewels

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New 2022 Checkpoint

Hey everyone,

I just brought home a new 2022 checkpoint. I noticed the rear wheel seems closer to the driver side by about ~2 mm. This also makes it not centered with the seat tube. I then tried putting two different wheelsets in with the same results. I flipped the bike over and just eyed the frame and both wheels overall, and it DOES seem to be aligned as a whole bike. I had seen this in the store and they took it in the back to look it over and they said it was fine/normal... however I don't really trust Trek store employees since I was buying the bike. I'm a little OCD with my bikes, as I'm sure many wouldn't even notice this. I've actually found this "issue" with many Trek bikes over the years. I don't think I've ever had a perfectly centered rear wheel on the last 2 Domane's I've had. The other Checkpoint in the store had the same thing, but slightly less. What do you guys think?

stock wheels/tires

another wheel put on for testing

bike flipped upside down. Overall alignment seems ok.
Old 04-03-22, 03:24 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
If it was quick release you can align it slightly with the skewer and get it straight. A win for QR? You can try centering the wheel with one hand while tightening the thru axle, may have the similar affect, but I have never tried with TA.

I don't think it would affect the ride, especially on the rear, but it would bug me enough to dish it. Have the rear wheels been checked for proper dish?

You can measure the space with calipers, both on the seat stay and chain stay. Measure to the rim, not tire.
Old 04-03-22, 04:12 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. I am pretty sure both wheels I tested are dished. I think the first order of business is determining if the frame is supposed to be like this and what Treks tolerances are. I’ve read a few posts where this is common, and I’ve personally seen several bikes with the similar spacing. It’s only 1-2mm off but my OCD flares up! Lol. Hopefully Mitch at Trek can help.
Old 04-03-22, 06:45 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ejewels
Thanks. I am pretty sure both wheels I tested are dished. I think the first order of business is determining if the frame is supposed to be like this and what Treks tolerances are. I’ve read a few posts where this is common, and I’ve personally seen several bikes with the similar spacing. It’s only 1-2mm off but my OCD flares up! Lol. Hopefully Mitch at Trek can help.
I would be OCD all over that! Would always be on my mind until resolved. Good luck!
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 04-03-22, 07:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
- Who is Mitch at Trek? Is he someone all of us should know of?

- Be gentle on that sestpost. Its all scraped already.

- Return it if it isnt aligned. Or dish the wheel so it is centered. Look like those are your two options.
Old 04-03-22, 07:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
If it is possible to put the wheel in the other way around, you can quickly verify that it is a frame issue vs. a wheel dish issue. (Your test with a different wheel clearly points to the frame as the culprit, but if this is possible, it would nail it.)

Cannondale purposefully does this, and you have to get wheels dished appropriately.

This would bother me, especially if you want to be able to run as fat a tire as possible, as this will be limiting.
Old 04-04-22, 05:45 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I would be OCD all over that! Would always be on my mind until resolved. Good luck!
ha it’s funny what 2mm does. What is the resolve though if about 80% of the other bikes have the same thing? Both checkpoints and domanes exhibit it.
Old 04-04-22, 05:47 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If it is possible to put the wheel in the other way around, you can quickly verify that it is a frame issue vs. a wheel dish issue. (Your test with a different wheel clearly points to the frame as the culprit, but if this is possible, it would nail it.)

Cannondale purposefully does this, and you have to get wheels dished appropriately.

This would bother me, especially if you want to be able to run as fat a tire as possible, as this will be limiting.
yeah the pictures are tough because in person it’s isn’t as bad. But either way, like you said… it may be on purpose or within their tolerances
Old 04-04-22, 05:48 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Who is Mitch at Trek? Is he someone all of us should know of?

- Be gentle on that sestpost. Its all scraped already.

- Return it if it isnt aligned. Or dish the wheel so it is centered. Look like those are your two options.
Mitch is the trek rep on these forums. The problem with returning it for another one is the risk for getting the same thing on a replacement is very high. If I return it, I’m done with the checkpoint. If the wheels are in alignment overall on the bike, I think thats what matters most as well?

Last edited by ejewels; 04-04-22 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-04-22, 06:13 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
You're doing laps, but not getting anywhere.

1) Have the frame alignment checked.

If it's ok,

2) Re-dish the wheel to correct the centering. 1-2mm is a 10 minute fix.

If the alignment isn't right, that's a whole other issue. Talk to the seller.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 04-04-22, 09:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Mitch is the trek rep on these forums. The problem with returning it for another one is the risk for getting the same thing on a replacement is very high. If I return it, I’m done with the checkpoint. If the wheels are in alignment overall on the bike, I think thats what matters most as well?
I am on here way too often and never knew a trek rep posts. If I were him I certainly wouldnt advertise I am a Trek rep...I would be flooded with questions and complaints. What is Mitch's username?

And if another Checkpoint is not aligned, then yeah its reasonable to be done with the Checkpoint as a bike. Thats pretty bad QC if you get 2 bikes that are so far out of alignment that it impacts what tire size you can run vs what you should be able to run.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-04-22, 09:26 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am on here way too often and never knew a trek rep posts. If I were him I certainly wouldnt advertise I am a Trek rep...I would be flooded with questions and complaints. What is Mitch's username?

And if another Checkpoint is not aligned, then yeah its reasonable to be done with the Checkpoint as a bike. Thats pretty bad QC if you get 2 bikes that are so far out of alignment that it impacts what tire size you can run vs what you should be able to run.
Yeah... not sure his username but I saw him respond on here over the last few years. And its not that far out of alignment, maybe 2mm. But luckily trek has a good return policy at the corporate store so I'm just gonna bring it back and just throw some gravel tires on the domane. I don't really need a dedicated gravel bike to be honest as I'm pretty much 80/20 road-bike-path-pavement / actual gravel/singletrack. The best part is my domane has the same issue. However the rear wheel lines up with the seat post and I think its just the drive side seat stay that is a little off. But overall alignment on that bike seems good and at this point, I'm done caring. I really think Trek needs to looking into QC... unless of course its by design. I had asked on another site (where mitch is on there too) about the domane and he said its normal to have a little offset on the domane.
Old 04-04-22, 10:22 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
It would drive me nuts! My favorite road bike has such close tolerances between frame and tire that 2mm would cause rubbing. I know I know, my tires are too big. They're only 28s. Bike was designed for 23s. I'm not a Trek fan to begin with, so I'd be taking it back and telling them I couldn't live with their QC standards. You do what works for you.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-04-22, 12:35 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Lots of conclusions being made here on little data. No technical effort in actually determining the root of the problem and now he's just going to buy another set of tires as he didn't need the new bike anyway.

Yikes.

Trek may indeed have an issue, but I'd guess a hard look at everything involved here would indicate otherwise. They've been making bikes for a few years now and they seem to be doing ok.
Old 04-04-22, 02:00 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Lots of conclusions being made here on little data. No technical effort in actually determining the root of the problem and now he's just going to buy another set of tires as he didn't need the new bike anyway.

Yikes.

Trek may indeed have an issue, but I'd guess a hard look at everything involved here would indicate otherwise. They've been making bikes for a few years now and they seem to be doing ok.
You're right, I was thinking the same. I guarantee if everyone that commented looked at ALL of their bikes and measured to the mm... they would be in for a treat on their perfect frames lol. Either way, I appreciate all of the help and the bike is now returned. NOT just because of this wheel thing... I think it was also that I just didn't need the bike and it was sort of an impulse buy as I wanted to try a checkpoint and it was right there at my local store. Plus, my '21 domane with some gravel tires should do the trick. I'm really only riding light gravel/rails to trails lately anyways. If I want to get gnarlier, I'll just pull the mtb out.
Old 04-04-22, 02:02 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
It would drive me nuts! My favorite road bike has such close tolerances between frame and tire that 2mm would cause rubbing. I know I know, my tires are too big. They're only 28s. Bike was designed for 23s. I'm not a Trek fan to begin with, so I'd be taking it back and telling them I couldn't live with their QC standards. You do what works for you.
Nobody knows if its supposed to be like that or not, we aren't the engineers. I returned the bike either way, but many trek alu frames I've seen show this. Even my domane, which trek told me its within tolerances and the stays aren't always dead on. So for the people gawking at 2mm's go check your bikes. Especially if its a Trek.
Likes For ejewels:
Old 04-05-22, 03:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Looking at your upside down photo, the rear wheel looks centered to the down tube and front wheel. They seat post is looks to be positioned closer to the NDS and on an angle, which makes the wheel appear off center.

Both of my Cervelos are like this as well, by design.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-05-22, 08:10 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Looking at your upside down photo, the rear wheel looks centered to the down tube and front wheel. They seat post is looks to be positioned closer to the NDS and on an angle, which makes the wheel appear off center.

Both of my Cervelos are like this as well, by design.
Yep, but many commenters just say "its off, return it" lol.
Old 04-07-22, 02:38 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bumping this just for FYI. I looked at 4 checkpoints now and all of them seem to have some offset. Only on the alu frames. So if anyone sees this I’m thinking this is by design.
Old 04-07-22, 04:50 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
You're doing laps, but not getting anywhere.

1) Have the frame alignment checked.

If it's ok,

2) Re-dish the wheel to correct the centering. 1-2mm is a 10 minute fix.

If the alignment isn't right, that's a whole other issue. Talk to the seller.
This.
Old 04-07-22, 07:18 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
This.
Ok? I was just telling people that 4-5 checkpoint alr’s that I’ve seen have the seat stays slightly offset. Trek confirmed it’s within tolerances since they allow more room anyways for tire clearance… they cushion their numbers.
Old 04-07-22, 08:03 PM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Ok? I was just telling people that 4-5 checkpoint alr’s that I’ve seen have the seat stays slightly offset. Trek confirmed it’s within tolerances since they allow more room anyways for tire clearance… they cushion their numbers.
Thanks for the update. Did you ride your ALR before returning it? I just picked one up and am deciding whether to keep it or maybe take it back for a Domane with a grx rear derailleur.

You mentioned having a Domane so I thought I’d see if you had any thoughts.

I wont be keeping handlebar on the alr if I keep it. I also wonder if maybe I’d like to have the isospeed.
Old 04-07-22, 08:35 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Thanks for the update. Did you ride your ALR before returning it? I just picked one up and am deciding whether to keep it or maybe take it back for a Domane with a grx rear derailleur.

You mentioned having a Domane so I thought I’d see if you had any thoughts.

I wont be keeping handlebar on the alr if I keep it. I also wonder if maybe I’d like to have the isospeed.
why do you want to get rid of it? I did get to ride it briefly. Was nice. But if you’re more road focused I’d get the domane
Old 04-08-22, 09:07 AM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
why do you want to get rid of it? I did get to ride it briefly. Was nice. But if you’re more road focused I’d get the domane
Its not that I want to get rid of it. More that I'm uncertain if its the right bike.
Old 04-08-22, 09:21 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Its not that I want to get rid of it. More that I'm uncertain if its the right bike.
I hear you. Did you get a '22 ALR? I'd take a look at the rear wheel alignment as well (as per this post I started). I've now counted 4 checkpoints that I've seen in 3 different stores that the seat stay on the driver side has a tad less clearance. In size 56, at least. It might be OK either way, and I have a question out to Trek now, wondering what they'll say. I'm thinking they will say its within tolerances and by design due to fitting that chainline in. Just a guess.

Last edited by ejewels; 04-08-22 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For ejewels:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.