Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Shoes do you Use for Cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Shoes do you Use for Cycling?

Old 09-03-21, 08:19 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have flats on my mountain bike. I either wear Salomon hiking shoes or Vans skating shoes, depending on the terrain.
Old 09-06-21, 11:23 AM
Lvnbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use flat pedal bicycle shoes

Originally Posted by Moisture
Particularly those of you who don't clip in. Do you just wear running shoes or whatever you have available?

I've been using running shoes for a while until someone brought up that its not ideal because the sole is thick and soft. I realized this is why i feel like i need to have my seat higher than baseline.

I found some worn lacoste shoes laying around with a thin, flat sole which seem to work great. I don't notice much of a difference in power transfer, but that extra cm or so of leg extension without needing to raise your seat higher is nice.

I finally got tired of either slipping of the pedals or very sore feet using running shoes. I have about a dozen pairs of clip on shoes but none of them worked on my Term folder or my GoCycle GS as they have flat folding pedals. They also have those holes in the sole which let water in. Wet socks are no fun. So I broke down and bought Bontrager Flatline Mountain bike shoes. Good support and they have enough grip to stay on pedals. Also no holes in the soles and stiff tread. Best purchase as they work and I can walk in them.
Likes For Lvnbicycle:
Old 09-06-21, 11:28 AM
MDS61

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cycling shoes work pretty well for.... cycling! If those frighten you, these may be appropriate.

I use these for my unicycle.
Likes For MDS61:
Old 09-06-21, 11:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I wear Piloti driving shoes and my bikes have platform pedals, some with, some without, Power Grips straps. The soles are fairly narrow and stiff with good traction.
Old 09-07-21, 07:59 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
These threads are always great. I love all the references to riding with “running” shoes, “hiking” shoes, “skateboarding” shoes, “walking” shoes… Shoes made for everything except pedaling a bike. This thread is exactly like the “Which shorts?” threads, the “Which gloves?” threads and the “Which lube?” threads. The best part about them, and I mean the VERY BEST part, is that the most common responses are always the ones downplaying cycling-specific things. On a cycling forum. And that’s why we can’t have nice things.
You are missing the point of the question, and the primary goal of not buying bike-specific shoes. Restated,

"I ride a bike sometimes. I have shoes that will spend 95% of their time being used not on a bike, and 5% of their time being used on a bike. I don't want a pair of shoes that only get used for riding on a bike.

Which shoes would I be happy wearing around the house and neighborhood walking around doing life things work best when being used on a bicycle."

What would Grant Petersen say?
Old 09-07-21, 08:55 AM
joeconn4

Bikes: serotta colorado lt (1992)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My mountain bike, circa 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper with no shocks front or rear, has clips and straps... I still use an old pair of Nike Nguba cycling shoes. Amazing that they haven't fallen apart, coming up on almost 30 years old and gotta be well over 1000 rides. The soles are hard rubber, not completely 100% intact at this point of course, lots of wear all over and a few nubs have broken off. But they still feel good and give good grip on the clips and I don't need to crank down the straps to an uncomfortable level. Of course I'm not racing the bike any more but I do an occasional semi-technical ride that needs good reliability on the foot/pedal connection and no issues for the most part.

Next 5 or so years I'm going to need a new pair I figure, so I'm always on the lookout but it's hard to find what I want. This is my "all arounder" bike, I use it for single-track trail riding, for casual riding on the local paths and neighborhood streets with my girlfriend, for occasional commutes or to pop over to the market for a backpack of groceries, and I also use it to measure courses for running races. Have a set of wheels with knobby tires and another set with slicks, same wheelbuild so it's an easy/quick swap when I need to. Because of the course measuring I really need a shoe I can get off the bike and walk around easily on.
Old 09-07-21, 02:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Bike Forums: Where pudgy old men who spend thousands of dollars on bicycles, but only dozens of dollars on flat pedals and walking shoes are vastly overrepresented. Good times, good times.

So your problem is other people don't spend enough on shoes and pedals? Why do you care?
Old 09-07-21, 03:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Cycling shoes. I tried some Adidas Gazelles, but the sole's too thin.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-07-21, 08:27 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I ride mainly with a pair of Keen water sandals. They have a leather protected toe, very sticky grip to the pedals, and they are very comfortable for me. My Keens I wear daily from April until September/October.

For winter riding I just picked up a pair of Oboz hiking boots… they probably aren’t the best on a bike, it I’ll return to this thread later with my thoughts after a few weeks of riding in them…

If the Oboz don’t work out I have my eyes in a cycle specific clip in shoe that should fit my needs pretty well.
Old 09-08-21, 03:41 AM
Humanbeing757

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Realmrider 1984 Raleigh Record Ace 2009 Specialized Hardrock 2021 Whyte Sterling 1984 Al Carter Hot Rock 2013 Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Particularly those of you who don't clip in. Do you just wear running shoes or whatever you have available?

I've been using running shoes for a while until someone brought up that its not ideal because the sole is thick and soft. I realized this is why i feel like i need to have my seat higher than baseline.
For my vintage bikes with toe clips I use Adidas Gazelle skateboarding shoes. They have stiffer soles than general trainers and look somewhat like vintage cycling shoes.

For my road/gravel bikes with SPD pedals I use Shimano XC100:

And for my MTB I use Muddyfox Tour 100 (which are also SPD compatible). My MTB is set up with a slightly lower saddle to pedal height.

Last edited by Humanbeing757; 09-08-21 at 03:46 AM.
Likes For Humanbeing757:
Old 09-08-21, 02:03 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Which ones?
Older ones, like leather low-top sneakers with a rounded heel. Similar to the current Endurance model: https://piloti.com/products/endurance-slate
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-08-21, 05:27 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I found some worn lacoste shoes laying around with a thin, flat sole which seem to work great. I don't notice much of a difference in power transfer, but that extra cm or so of leg extension without needing to raise your seat higher is nice.
I like wearing stiffer sole when riding platform pedals because my feet will feel less sore than softer sole
Old 09-14-21, 09:32 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
These threads are always great. I love all the references to riding with “running” shoes, “hiking” shoes, “skateboarding” shoes, “walking” shoes… Shoes made for everything except pedaling a bike. This thread is exactly like the “Which shorts?” threads, the “Which gloves?” threads and the “Which lube?” threads. The best part about them, and I mean the VERY BEST part, is that the most common responses are always the ones downplaying cycling-specific things. On a cycling forum. And that’s why we can’t have nice things.
I don't begrudge a single person owning or using anything that they enjoy. My position is more about using what you have or can afford to your best advantage. Guess I should just stay home and not ride today because I don't have the right shoes, or jersey, or bibs, or whatever. LOL.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-14-21, 10:36 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I don't begrudge a single person owning or using anything that they enjoy. My position is more about using what you have or can afford to your best advantage. Guess I should just stay home and not ride today because I don't have the right shoes, or jersey, or bibs, or whatever. LOL.
If that’s how you feel then that’s what you should do, boss. Don’t allow internet strangers to mold your life. Do whatever you want to do, but just do it.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-14-21, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

If that’s how you feel then that’s what you should do, boss. Don’t allow internet strangers to mold your life. Do whatever you want to do, but just do it.

I draw the line at road riding with no brakes, but yeah.
Old 09-14-21, 11:06 AM
RH Clark

I do brother, and I want you to do the same. The one thing however that has surprised me the most and simultaneously disappointed me the most concerning cycling is just how elitist and exclusive it is concerning anyone with anything less than the "correct" whatever. I am happy to see anyone cycling, whether they are doing it "right" or not.

Yes, give people your best advice, but do it in such a way as to encourage rather than exclude.
Old 09-14-21, 12:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

I do brother, and I want you to do the same. The one thing however that has surprised me the most and simultaneously disappointed me the most concerning cycling is just how elitist and exclusive it is concerning anyone with anything less than the "correct" whatever. I am happy to see anyone cycling, whether they are doing it "right" or not.

Yes, give people your best advice, but do it in such a way as to encourage rather than exclude.
It’s not “elitist and exclusive,” it’s categorical and demarcated by levels of fitness, interest, effort, time, mileage, speed, type of riding, surface, location, season, et cetera… When anyone on BF tries to toss out a little hand grenade question they’re going to get an explosive response of answers that come from all directions and experience levels. Just like in every other forum on the interwebz.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-14-21, 01:19 PM
RH Clark

It’s not “elitist and exclusive,” it’s categorical and demarcated by levels of fitness, interest, effort, time, mileage, speed, type of riding, surface, location, season, et cetera… When anyone on BF tries to toss out a little hand grenade question they’re going to get an explosive response of answers that come from all directions and experience levels. Just like in every other forum on the interwebz.
You just proved my point, so thanks. What is elitist is to think that you are at some greater cycling level than someone else based mostly on gear choice or Strava data, but if that's your game then I hope you enjoy it as much as the game I am playing.

What I found elitist was the comments that left the impression that anything other than expensive dedicated cycling shoes was unacceptable to the point of being laughable to the "real" cyclist.

Last edited by RH Clark; 09-14-21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 01:33 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

You just proved my point, so thanks. What is elitist is to think that you are at some greater cycling level than someone else based mostly on gear choice or Strava data, but if that's your game then I hope you enjoy it as much as the game I am playing.

What I found elitist was the comments that left the impression that anything other than expensive dedicated cycling shoes was unacceptable to the point of being laughable to the "real" cyclist.
Exactly right. That’s the joke. We’re talking about BICYCLES here, not billion dollar net worths, yachts and private islands. Bicycles. Relax. Live it up. Ride, or don’t. It won’t phase me, or really anyone on BF, if you do or don’t, and if you love it or hate it. I’d like to think that people on BF love riding bikes, but there’s a lot of aggression and very little humor. Don’t read too deeply into things. Try reading my posts like they’re all written in a very dry tone, with little emotion.
Old 09-14-21, 01:36 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Adidas Gazelles
Tim
Old 09-14-21, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Exactly right. That’s the joke. We’re talking about BICYCLES here, not billion dollar net worths, yachts and private islands. Bicycles. Relax. Live it up. Ride, or don’t. It won’t phase me, or really anyone on BF, if you do or don’t, and if you love it or hate it. I’d like to think that people on BF love riding bikes, but there’s a lot of aggression and very little humor. Don’t read too deeply into things. Try reading my posts like they’re all written in a very dry tone, with little emotion.

This puzzles me. You're a perfectly reasonable poster about 2/3 of the time, but when you go off on one of your complaint rants about non-cycling gear posts, you aren't within miles of a "dry tone." I just don't think you get how hostile these rants sound.

Dismissive sarcasm really isn't a choice between humor and aggression, it's using humor as aggression. You're at your least funny when you're trying to use it.

Post 16 was the one that's pissing people off. It's not dry at all, and it's pretty much completely incompatible with all your "do whatever, it's all good" posts.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-14-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 03:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This puzzles me. You're a perfectly reasonable poster about 2/3 of the time, but when you go off on one of your complaint rants about non-cycling gear posts, you aren't within miles of a "dry tone." I just don't think you get how hostile these rants sound.

Dismissive sarcasm really isn't a choice between humor and aggression, it's using humor as aggression. You're at your least funny when you're trying to use it.

Post 16 was the one that's pissing people off. It's not dry at all, and it's pretty much completely incompatible with all your "do whatever, it's all good" posts.
We're so fortunate to have you here, so that you can tell us all what we are doing wrong. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Old 09-14-21, 03:20 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by livedarklions

Post #16? Yeah, I can see how no one at all liked it. Laugh at what you find funny, but don’t blame me because you’re not a couple of bright cats. For what it’s worth, Post #16 was some of my very highest quality brew, and I had to sit down for a while after I composed it. Thank God the tp shortage is a thing of the past!
Old 09-14-21, 05:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
We're so fortunate to have you here, so that you can tell us all what we are doing wrong. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I cannot say how much I respect your opinions. I mean it, I really can't.

Don't you have another figure of speech to go nuts about?
Old 09-14-21, 07:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Post #16? Yeah, I can see how no one at all liked it. Laugh at what you find funny, but don’t blame me because you’re not a couple of bright cats. For what it’s worth, Post #16 was some of my very highest quality brew, and I had to sit down for a while after I composed it. Thank God the tp shortage is a thing of the past!
This got me to go back and read your post #16. The self-praise is warranted, regardless of what the 'thought cop' thinks.
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.