Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 11-05-21, 01:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Losing weight takes dedication and a certain level of obsession, and it's ASTONISHINGLY easier to regain any weight you lost than it was to lose it in the first place. Plus which, losing weight means you will feel hungry, really hungry at times and you'll have to work through it. I lost almost as much weight as I did last year back in 2013, but I gained it all back by mid 2015.
I think that, once you establish good habits, it's pretty forgiving. Yeah, it can go on more easily than it comes off, but it still takes time and consistency. I mean, you need to consume ~3700 calories more than you expend to gain a pound of chub - that's a lot. I couldn't do that in a week unless I really tried, so to gain a significant amount of weight would take completely reverting back to the bad habits and letting it ride for months.

I think that a lot of people embark on healthy habits and then, before their habits are effectively changed, they break down and have a bad day. Then they feel like ****, worthless, etc, and think their efforts were a waste of time, etc, and then they end up abandoning. But even a really bad day isn't going to move the needle much if you're good the rest of the time - you just can't stuff that many calories in your maw in a day. This is why cheat days can work if you're good the rest of the time. But yeah, people need to realize that bad days happen, they're not the end of the world and to just get back to establishing good habits the next day, so that they can eventually have it engrained enough to really stick.

IME. IMO. LOLWTFBBQ.
Old 11-05-21, 01:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

So why can't I gain weight?
(a) You're not hyper-cellular
(2) You don't eat enough calories to gain
Old 11-05-21, 01:55 PM
big john

Originally Posted by datlas
but I will accept what is safe and skip what is unsafe.
Of course. Sometimes these things are a game time decision. Also, I like having an excuse to post my pictures from up there.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-05-21, 01:56 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mojo31
My wife makes a really good pound cake for birthdays. Takes her nearly a half-day to make it. After having a slice, and maybe two, we realize that we just cannot keep it around until it's gone. Fortunately, we can usually send most of it home with the kids. When we can't, we usually look at each other with sad eyes and begrudgingly throw it in the trash.
My wife makes a huge cheesecake once or twice a year. When I'm disciplined I will freeze half of it for the future (cheesecake takes freezing well). When I'm not disciplined I just methodically consume that bad boy over the course of a couple weeks. It usually adds a few unhealthy pounds.
Thankfully, my wife isn't much of a baker. I mean, she does a fine job when she does bake, but she just doesn't do it that much. There was a time when she'd knock out batches of chocolate chip cookies pretty regularly, and she went through a scone phase, but it's been a few years since either of those.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-05-21, 02:03 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

My fav.
Old 11-05-21, 02:05 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
They need a strong leader.

Next time you see someone coming in the office with junk food, shout out, "No, not on my watch!"

Make a big spectacle of it.
It's a wonder you are not more popular, smh...
Old 11-05-21, 02:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Mine is not much in the kitchen. She calls herself a "heater" rather than a "cook." But, she has a few things that she does really well. One is the pound cake, another is an apple cake with a glaze that she does for holidays. I could consume a whole one of both on any given day. She also makes a mean gumbo.

She's really good at carry out.

Eating and cooking is much easier without kids.
Old 11-05-21, 02:09 PM
WhyFi

Mmmmm - apple cake. I haven't made one of those in years. Maybe now that I've got my dough whisk...
Old 11-05-21, 02:21 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by big john
There's something about a cobbler and his shoes?
My last car I neglected for years, waiting for it to quit. It kept going,maybe just to spite me.

I suppose it's a little different when it's your body, though?
I think it's more to do with people like us with this hobby/affliction we all share. You can only get so far away from being in shape and still say with any seriousness, "I am a cyclist". You can only fool yourself so much. Mirrors are a thing.
One thing I learned about dieting. You are going to feel hungry. It is inevitable, if you are going you lose weight. But, it won't kill you. Im not going to die. I kind of get used to it. I've been skipping dinner for a couple weeks now, evening fasting. It's working...slowly. in a couple weeks I'll start trimming back lunch. And maybe drop my bagel on the morning. 200 by spring is the goal. I think it's reasonable. That's around 30 lbs. I've given up beer. ( I know! I must be serious)
. I've been prehypertensive for a long time. It's time to fix it. Well... that and those Souls ain't going to crush themselves now are they.
Likes For ls01:
Old 11-05-21, 02:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that, once you establish good habits, it's pretty forgiving. Yeah, it can go on more easily than it comes off, but it still takes time and consistency. I mean, you need to consume ~3700 calories more than you expend to gain a pound of chub - that's a lot. I couldn't do that in a week unless I really tried, so to gain a significant amount of weight would take completely reverting back to the bad habits and letting it ride for months.

I think that a lot of people embark on healthy habits and then, before their habits are effectively changed, they break down and have a bad day. Then they feel like ****, worthless, etc, and think their efforts were a waste of time, etc, and then they end up abandoning. But even a really bad day isn't going to move the needle much if you're good the rest of the time - you just can't stuff that many calories in your maw in a day. This is why cheat days can work if you're good the rest of the time. But yeah, people need to realize that bad days happen, they're not the end of the world and to just get back to establishing good habits the next day, so that they can eventually have it engrained enough to really stick.

IME. IMO. LOLWTFBBQ.
To put that in perspective, though, let's say you go from doing a couple midweek rides that burn ~600 calories each down to none, plus cutting your Sunday ride from 3 1/2 hr to less than 2, so you lose another ~700 calories of burn. Now throw in the holidays and the usual excess, AND the natural tendency to eat more starch and fat in the colder months. That's what happened to me, going from a low of 208 in November 2014 back up to over 220 by mid-2014.

OH! and one thing I've learned from the calorie counting - some things are very deceptive. A little dish of peanuts or cashews? 400 calories. Add one of those a day for 10 days, and there's your 3700 calories.

This is one reason why I'm such a Zwift enthusiast - it makes midweek rides MUCH more likely! I can't do morning or mid-day rides, and afternoons get dark while I'm still working, starting this Sunday at midnight. Now, I can ride all winter without having to force myself to endure the drudgery of staring at a blank wall while having to concentrate to keep my cadence and HR up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-05-21, 02:28 PM
ls01
he said member

So why can't I gain weight?
cuz you don't eat enough. Eat more! Monga!
Likes For ls01:
Old 11-05-21, 02:35 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
To put that in perspective, though, let's say you go from doing a couple midweek rides that burn ~600 calories each down to none, plus cutting your Sunday ride from 3 1/2 hr to less than 2, so you lose another ~700 calories of burn. Now throw in the holidays and the usual excess, AND the natural tendency to eat more starch and fat in the colder months. That's what happened to me, going from a low of 208 in November 2014 back up to over 220 by mid-2014.

OH! and one thing I've learned from the calorie counting - some things are very deceptive. A little dish of peanuts or cashews? 400 calories. Add one of those a day for 10 days, and there's your 3700 calories.

This is one reason why I'm such a Zwift enthusiast - it makes midweek rides MUCH more likely! I can't do morning or mid-day rides, and afternoons get dark while I'm still working, starting this Sunday at midnight. Now, I can ride all winter without having to force myself to endure the drudgery of staring at a blank wall while having to concentrate to keep my cadence and HR up.
Yeah, it's definitely good to have a year under the belt, then you can anticipate problem times and scenarios. Cruising in to the holiday season had the potential to be a minefield for me, too, but it's gotten easier. And yeah, trainer rides help a lot. I've lost weight through a winter without much by way of trainer rides, but they sure help a lot.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-05-21, 02:36 PM
big john

My fav.
We had to turn back that time, the crew didn't clear the road the rest of the way until the following week. It wasn't really very cold, either. I seem to recall someone saying they climbed over that snow drift and made it to the top.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-05-21, 02:42 PM
big john

My fav.
Here is a pic from a little lower on that same road on a different day. Since it's not open to cars for through traffic, ever, they aren't in a hurry to clear it.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-05-21, 02:47 PM
WhyFi

Loaf #1. I guess we'll see what's what when I can cut in to it in another half hour.

Old 11-05-21, 02:53 PM
big john

Loaf #1. I guess we'll see what's what when I can cut in to it in another half hour.
Old 11-05-21, 03:32 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28576 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
It's a wonder you are not more popular, smh...
How could anyone not like me?
Old 11-05-21, 03:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28576 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Map of the Day

05 Nov 21

Old 11-05-21, 03:39 PM
WhyFi

Huh. The crumb looks pretty good and even. As probably should be expected with such a quick dough, it doesn't have tremendous depth of flavor, but it's still pretty good. For such a low-effort bake, I'd say it's feasible on a ~weekly basis.
Old 11-05-21, 03:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts

Things I miss…
Old 11-05-21, 03:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely good to have a year under the belt, then you can anticipate problem times and scenarios. Cruising in to the holiday season had the potential to be a minefield for me, too, but it's gotten easier. And yeah, trainer rides help a lot. I've lost weight through a winter without much by way of trainer rides, but they sure help a lot.
Having bought pants a size smaller back in 2013 - which I fit for maybe 6 months - I was not willing to buy skinny pants this time till I had gotten through a holiday season. Last year I actually lost weight in November - February, but I think it was July before I bought any skinny pants. By that time the old ones were looking real baggy, and without a belt I'd have walked right out of them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-05-21, 03:48 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3163 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,148 Posts
Part of my extreme thinness, I've realized, is that I have a drawerful of XL t-shirts. I currently fit M. Shocking, I know. I have only a few of those. While wearing one of the XL, I look lie a scarecrow.
Old 11-05-21, 04:06 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 2,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

That is pretty cool.

Old 11-05-21, 04:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Another workweek done. Picked up Mexican food for dinner. I had veggie enchiladas with mole sauce.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-05-21, 04:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Huh. The crumb looks pretty good and even. As probably should be expected with such a quick dough, it doesn't have tremendous depth of flavor, but it's still pretty good. For such a low-effort bake, I'd say it's feasible on a ~weekly basis.
Not sourdough? Sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.