Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 11-30-21, 08:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
At military commissaries there are baggers who work for tips and a bank line, so you don't usually get to pick your lane. When I can pick, I go for the best bagger.
The store we frequent usually has a checker and as many as two baggers at each line. There are no self-check lines. I've tried to bag my own only to be told that that is their job. They also push your cart to your car. The worst part is that they are not allowed to accept tips. The nice thing is that they give a lot of high school kids jobs, and there are never any carts rolling around the parking lot.
Old 11-30-21, 08:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
The store we frequent usually has a checker and as many as two baggers at each line. There are no self-check lines. I've tried to bag my own only to be told that that is their job. They also push your cart to your car. The worst part is that they are not allowed to accept tips. The nice thing is that they give a lot of high school kids jobs, and there are never any carts rolling around the parking lot.
Yeah, they'll come out to the car too. At our local Army commissary they're mainly ancient vets. At the Navy commissary in Annapolis they're the kids of service members. I'm a big tipper either way...unless they spill the blueberries.
Old 11-30-21, 08:56 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Curb-side pick-up, FTW.
Old 11-30-21, 08:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Sounds like you need to upgrade your store choice.
Out of 3 supermarkets in my vicinity not one has any cute help. But when I think about it, even if there were some I’m not the catch I used to be, either.
Old 11-30-21, 09:04 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Out of 3 supermarkets in my vicinity not one has any cute help. But when I think about it, even if there were some I’m not the catch I used to be, either.
I get it. The only looks I get are from the women with blue hair. And, not the young hipsters with blue hair.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-30-21, 09:26 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
I like baggers.

Though an old school Springer is still my favorite.

Old 11-30-21, 09:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
West Coast alert.

Yikes.

Old 11-30-21, 09:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8187 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Though an old school Springer is still my favorite.

Do they put the cylinders and heads from a newer engine on old cases? I like to look at them but wouldn't want to ride that on a bumpy road.
Old 11-30-21, 09:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
At military commissaries there are baggers who work for tips and a bank line, so you don't usually get to pick your lane. When I can pick, I go for the best bagger.
On more than one occasion I bagged groceries at local stores for tips, when they used to let you do things like that. I get encouraged when I see kids legitimately trying to earn some scratch doing stuff like that, like when I go to a big-box grocery store and there are kids outside offering to help you load your car. You don't see that as much anymore. One thing I have noticed living in the same house for over 16 years is that you don't see nearly as many kids offering to shovel sidewalks after a snow storm.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-30-21, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
These days the thing that slows the line for me is almost never the checker. It's usually the customer. Like the lady the other day, who was buying two sets of groceries, because she was helping a friend, but she herself was rather muddled about which was whose and which money in her purse went with which, and what bag they should go in. And then after she'd settled both, decided she wanted a couple of the candy canes they have at the checkstand, which the clerk had to ring up. Or the folks who wait till the very end to even pull their money out to pay, and then they have to fiddle with it endlessly. Or the the ones who buy 3 or 4 exotic fruits or veggies and the clerk doesn't know what they are to look up the code and the customer doesn't remember either.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-30-21, 09:47 AM
big john

One of my roomates in the 70s had a Sportster with a chrome springer front end. The man was huge and made that bike look small when he was on it. It looked kinda like this except I think it was kick start.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-30-21, 09:57 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by big john
Do they put the cylinders and heads from a newer engine on old cases? I like to look at them but wouldn't want to ride that on a bumpy road.
I think the 1200 Sportsters are set up like that. I'm pretty far out of the loop, as I quit riding many years ago. I drove a wrecker in the days when "chasing accidents" was how they decided it would be the best way to get the tow trucks to the scene. Seeing what happened to those that survived bike wrecks, slowly put me off riding.

Of course, one has to be a very good driver to get through that experience.
Old 11-30-21, 09:59 AM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
These days the thing that slows the line for me is almost never the checker. It's usually the customer. Like the lady the other day, who was buying two sets of groceries, because she was helping a friend, but she herself was rather muddled about which was whose and which money in her purse went with which, and what bag they should go in. And then after she'd settled both, decided she wanted a couple of the candy canes they have at the checkstand, which the clerk had to ring up. Or the folks who wait till the very end to even pull their money out to pay, and then they have to fiddle with it endlessly. Or the the ones who buy 3 or 4 exotic fruits or veggies and the clerk doesn't know what they are to look up the code and the customer doesn't remember either.
I go to Food For Less. You bag your own stuff and there are 2 conveyors so 2 customers can be bagging at the same time. Any cashier can ring up your order faster than you can use the card reader and bag it.
The other day the customer in front of me couldn't figure out the card reader, even with some help from the cashier. I guess he was using a debit card which needed a PIN. He tried over and over until the cashier came around and walked him through it.
At the end of the conveyor there is a pad which you push with your hip or hand to advance the conveyor. This baffled him, as well. I was next to him and demonstrated on my conveyor which didn't help. I then reached over and touched the pad which is about a 8x8 square on a hinge with a switch underneath. This caused him to grab the switchpad and try to lift it. I finally went over and pushed it so he could get his stuff.
Old 11-30-21, 10:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
On more than one occasion I bagged groceries at local stores for tips, when they used to let you do things like that. I get encouraged when I see kids legitimately trying to earn some scratch doing stuff like that, like when I go to a big-box grocery store and there are kids outside offering to help you load your car. You don't see that as much anymore. One thing I have noticed living in the same house for over 16 years is that you don't see nearly as many kids offering to shovel sidewalks after a snow storm.
We get offers, but LSS needs the exercise.
Old 11-30-21, 10:10 AM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
I think the 1200 Sportsters are set up like that. I'm pretty far out of the loop, as I quit riding many years ago. I drove a wrecker in the days when "chasing accidents" was how they decided it would be the best way to get the tow trucks to the scene. Seeing what happened to those that survived bike wrecks, slowly put me off riding.

That hardtail you posted looks to have a very old bottom end with a Shovelhead top end. I don't know what would be involved in doing that but it's kinda cool that you can do it.
I don't think any of the guys I knew who had Harleys or other choppers or cruisers ever had bad crashes. The ones who got hurt or killed were on crotch rockets or riding drunk or stupidly on other bikes.
My older brother rode motorcycles for 40 years without an injury. He rode to work, rode in Europe, Japan, and New Zealand.
Old 11-30-21, 11:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
That hardtail you posted looks to have a very old bottom end with a Shovelhead top end. I don't know what would be involved in doing that but it's kinda cool that you can do it.
I don't think any of the guys I knew who had Harleys or other choppers or cruisers ever had bad crashes. The ones who got hurt or killed were on crotch rockets or riding drunk or stupidly on other bikes.
My older brother rode motorcycles for 40 years without an injury. He rode to work, rode in Europe, Japan, and New Zealand.
I used to work with an English woman who was very into motorcycles. She told me at one point, while still living over there, she owned some Kawasaki that was The Fastest production bike in the world at that time, and she was bombing down the freeway at 150 and realized, "If I keep this bike, I'm going to die." So she sold it. Over here, she and her husband got Harleys, which are much slower and thus less likely to kill you.

Old 11-30-21, 11:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yesterday afternoon, a flurry of automatic emails from my bank dropped into my inbox, all about a transaction outside the US. Turns out Mrs. GeneJockey bought her own Christmas present - a bassoon. Good brand (Fox), but also designed for small hands. More than any of my bikes, including the Canyon, and even the total build cost for the Battaglin.

Now I wish I'd jumped on those Assioma power pedals for only $554.....

Old 11-30-21, 11:35 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Map of the Day

30 November 2021

Hot off the presses!

Old 11-30-21, 11:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yesterday afternoon, a flurry of automatic emails from my bank dropped into my inbox, all about a transaction outside the US. Turns out Mrs. GeneJockey bought her own Christmas present - a bassoon. Good brand (Fox), but also designed for small hands. More than any of my bikes, including the Canyon, and even the total build cost for the Battaglin.

Now I wish I'd jumped on those Assioma power pedals for only $554.....
Is she a serious bassoon player?? My nephew is. He is trying to find a job with a good symphony, which apparently is NOT easily done even if you are good. He is currently with the New World Orchestra in Florida but that's a 3 year fellowship and his 3rd year is now, so he does need a gig.
Old 11-30-21, 12:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
Is she a serious bassoon player?? My nephew is. He is trying to find a job with a good symphony, which apparently is NOT easily done even if you are good. He is currently with the New World Orchestra in Florida but that's a 3 year fellowship and his 3rd year is now, so he does need a gig.
No. Not even close.

Old 11-30-21, 12:03 PM
LAJ
So it is

He needs to namedrop.

Velo Vol
Likes For LAJ:
Old 11-30-21, 12:22 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
All baggers are tipped here. And they're all old folks. We also tip the guy in the parking lot. I tip the guy who watches my bike. We(my wife and I) tip the pump jockey.
Old 11-30-21, 12:27 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

Of course
Old 11-30-21, 12:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Money.
Boring.
Sounds like you need to upgrade your store choice.
I'm doing just fine.

Was just there for Moderna III. No food reward required (I'm not 10).

One of the pharmacists was kind of cute, but sadly she's not the one who came out to the booth to give me the shot.

Outside they have mountain bikes for $199. Maybe I should buy one and hit the gravels?
Old 11-30-21, 12:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I can offer him a dream position as first bassoonist at Knoxville Community Band.

Remuneration: the joy of making beautiful music

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.