Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Take the small wins

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Take the small wins

Old 05-02-22, 02:21 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Take the small wins

and forget the rest..

I have this regular ride that takes me from work down hill all the way to the Rhine. It's a favorite ride of mine because once I get to the river there's places to chill, people watch, get a beer et.al The draw back to the ride is getting back, it's a fun down hill adventure, lots of farms, and lots of scenery in the middle of some of the ugliest urban sprawl in Germany. The return trip is uphill and, while not drastic is 12 miles of constant elevation gain, it's a cardio killer. Since I've discovered the bike route to the river I've never been able to climb all the miles home without a break but today I rode it like it was a Florida flat. I'm sure when I head that way tomorrow I'll need twice the breaks but I just want to pat myself and anyone else that accomplished something today on the back.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 05-02-22 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 03:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Damn, to go from getting your butt kicked so-hard-you-need-to-stop to cleaning the climb like it’s Florida-flat is quite an achievement, much more than a “small win,” IMO! Kudos!
Old 05-02-22, 06:15 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Agree!
Not a small win, KOM!
Old 05-02-22, 06:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
We should all take heart of small victories!

Great personal story.
We all understand descending pleasantly to then chill in a nice area. Usually worth a grind home. Even with a break or two over 18km.

I used to descend to Santa Cruz, CA USA to hang - then grind home.
Old 05-02-22, 07:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
and forget the rest..

I have this regular ride that takes me from work down hill all the way to the Rhine. It's a favorite ride of mine because once I get to the river there's places to chill, people watch, get a beer et.al The draw back to the ride is getting back, it's a fun down hill adventure, lots of farms, and lots of scenery in the middle of some of the ugliest urban sprawl in Germany. The return trip is uphill and, while not drastic is 12 miles of constant elevation gain, it's a cardio killer. Since I've discovered the bike route to the river I've never been able to climb all the miles home without a break but today I rode it like it was a Florida flat. I'm sure when I head that way tomorrow I'll need twice the breaks but I just want to pat myself and anyone else that accomplished something today on the back.

I've had days where a climb like that is just breaking my heart and I can't figure out why it's so bad, then look up at a flag flapping slightly but directly in the direction of my face. Next day, no wind or a slight tailwind, and I'm Superman on the same hill. I love that feeling.
Old 05-02-22, 10:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Congratulations on getting super fit

Old 05-03-22, 02:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Congratulations!

Looks like a big win to me, but maybe you're comparing it bigger challenges you plan to meet in the coming months and years. Thanks for sharing this win, big or small.
Old 05-03-22, 03:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
and forget the rest..

These are the moments we ride for.
Old 05-05-22, 06:49 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
If they were all downhill, I'd be fat and bored.
Old 05-05-22, 07:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I received a good report from a urologist yesterday. I am recovering nicely from a recurring UTI that blew up into acute prostatitis. My prostate has shrunk considerably, staying on 2 meds and follow up in 6 months. I got the ok to step up the bike riding. I did a 35 mile ride with an average of 16mph. That is by far my longest and quickest ride of 2022. I am not accurately keeping track this year, but I had around 500 miles ytd before getting ill. I just want to make sure I get 4,000 for the year to get me to 45,000 in the past 9 years. Next year I go for hitting 50,000 in a 10 year span.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-05-22, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I received a good report from a urologist yesterday. I am recovering nicely from a recurring UTI that blew up into acute prostatitis. My prostate has shrunk considerably, staying on 2 meds and follow up in 6 months. I got the ok to step up the bike riding. I did a 35 mile ride with an average of 16mph. That is by far my longest and quickest ride of 2022. I am not accurately keeping track this year, but I had around 500 miles ytd before getting ill. I just want to make sure I get 4,000 for the year to get me to 45,000 in the past 9 years. Next year I go for hitting 50,000 in a 10 year span.
That's great!

I'd say take it in baby steps, but if you're back to 35 miles already, that's not a baby anymore.
Old 05-05-22, 10:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Just remember, "There are no tailwinds, there are only headwinds or good days."
Old 05-05-22, 04:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Congratulations on getting super fit
Or congratulations on the e-bike purchase.
Old 05-05-22, 09:57 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I used to hate ascents, then as I got better at them, I don't really enjoy them, but I accept them as a challenge