Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Rain covers for shoes?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 10:36 AM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, winter means rain, some of it pretty intense. I am tired of coming back with rain inundated shoes, don’t think waterproof boots are a good solution. I heard they make rain overs for shoes. Anyone have recommendations?
Old 09-26-21, 10:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You chose
rain covers for shoes walmart - Google Search

Old 09-27-21, 08:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
what kind of shoes & pedals are you using?

what size are your shoes?

don't forget rain pants that are long enough to go over the tops of your shoes at the ankle. otherwise rain can run down your leg into the tops of your shoes, regardless of what you cover them with
Old 09-28-21, 10:42 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Keep in mind that shoe covers wear out relatively quickly. While they are certainly useful you may not want to buy the most expensive ones.

Can you give some more context, please?
Old 09-28-21, 01:03 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
...don’t think waterproof boots are a good solution.
If not boots (your reason wasn't given), then what about waterproof shoes? I have an older model of these currently available Shimano waterproof shoes and they're incredible, and I've ridden them in rain and snow and down to 5 F for 40 minute commutes, as well as on many wet and slushy winter centuries (just make sure your pant cuff goes over the top of the shoe cuff so the water doesn't run down the pants and under the shoe cuff and into the shoe. Pants with stirrups will help hold the pant cuff in place), with proper socks and a chemical warmer across the toes. Breathable Gore-Tex is one of my best friends, and almost all of my winter gear is made from it. Premium price? Yup, but worth it if you frequently ride in the elements.

Last edited by Riveting; 09-28-21 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 02:32 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I tried covers, they work ok for sprinkles but are worthless in extended rain conditions. Bought a pair of Fizik rain boots and they are so much better, only issue I have is that none of my cycling tights have straps to keep from sliding up and leaving a gap that rain would flow into. This winter I'm going to have to get some straps sewed onto the cuffs.
Old 09-28-21, 10:08 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
If not boots (your reason wasn't given), then what about waterproof shoes? I have an older model of these currently available Shimano waterproof shoes and they're incredible, and I've ridden them in rain and snow and down to 5 F for 40 minute commutes, as well as on many wet and slushy winter centuries (just make sure your pant cuff goes over the top of the shoe cuff so the water doesn't run down the pants and under the shoe cuff and into the shoe. Pants with stirrups will help hold the pant cuff in place), with proper socks and a chemical warmer across the toes. Breathable Gore-Tex is one of my best friends, and almost all of my winter gear is made from it. Premium price? Yup, but worth it if you frequently ride in the elements.
I am looking for a pair !
Old 09-29-21, 03:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

you'd better figure it out, the weatherman just predicted "gropples", whatever that is
Old 09-29-21, 03:59 AM
rumrunn6

of all the inexpensive, non cycling specific, uninsulated options I've tried these were the easiest to put on over regular shoes FixWhat Waterproof Motorcycle Bike Shoes Covers,Reusable Anti-Slip Rain Snow Shoes Overshoes Gear Zipped Shoes Men Women Rain Covers, never used them for commuting, so don't know how durable they are

I bought size XXL for my size 13 shoes & that seemed just right. if I were commuting with them I would keep other shoes in the office to avoid putting these on & taking them off repeatedly. so in essence those shoes would be my rain shoes (w/the covers). they are snug but not skin tight like cycling specific shoe covers. again, use rain pants that go over the tops

when I was commuting I used these all winter long & found them quite durable Tingley 1400.MD Rubber Overboot with Cleated Outsole, Black, Medium (I could not find my order on Amazon but I doubt they were size medium) I wonder if I bought them direct from Tingley or another shoe seller. I kept my shoes inside them, opened the top & wiggled my foot in. nice & tall

some years after I tried these TINGLEY Men's High Top Stretch Overshoe. also durable but heavy but adequate for use all winter long. but they are certainly NOT "high top"

these days, my go-to winter battle gear is expensive winter boots (not cycling specific) size 14 combined with expensive cycling "storm" pants. I bought the boots for a cold football playoff game, so I had them already.

Showers Pass Men's Waterproof Breathable Transit Cycling Pants

some day I might try cycling specific winter boots but I can't justify the cost right now.

another thought, with rain, comes cooler temps, so you might consider insulated options. cycling specific will always be better, might be more expensive, but might save you time, effort & even money if you start w/ the best

last year I experimented with toe clip covers. they were great until it poured

I suspect you'll be asking about helmet covers too? this is so good Taiga Cycle Helmet Rain Cover, Waterproof/breathable Cycling Hat. Made in Canada, but you can also use a cheap motel style shower cap. either look silly until it rains, then they look smart

well, maybe not

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-07-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-24-21, 12:02 PM
mclewis1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Over the years I've tried a variety of shoe covers, and generally I've found that anything with a zipper in front eventually leaks in heavy rain (and particularly with water coming off of the front wheel even with a longer fender). I've been look for a gaiter style add on that covered the laces of my cold/wet weather SPD cycling shoes (MTB low cut shoe and an MTB mid height boot for really bad weather). These shoe choices have also meant that the traditional road style (tighter fit) covers I've tried haven't worked out either.

I'm also cheap and didn't want to go with dedicated serious bad weather boots or $100+gaiters/covers.

I recently found a Danish company (GripGrab.com) that produces a variety of effective show covers. I got the very unattractive (but bearable if pants are pulled over them) and so far very effective DRYFOOT WATERPROOF EVERYDAY SHOE COVERS 2. Loose enough fit to cover my mid boots and seriously waterproof. These aren't insulated but the extra wind proof layer helps to add some extra degrees of comfort. Prices aren't bad (less than North American made options, but more than the Asian sourced low end stuff on Amazon) and the shipping was very reasonable (~$10 5day shipping to North America).

So far they've worked well in some rainy conditions and now they're being to be tested in the cold and wet/slushy conditions. They appear to be reasonably well made (good seams etc.) ... so far the only thing I'd change is the position of the elastic under the shoe, it needs to go back a bit to fit better in the arch area (so less potential for wear when walking in them).

No company affiliation or compensation or anything like that ... just a pleasantly surprised customer.
Old 12-24-21, 12:19 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
https://www.showerspass.com/products/club-shoe-covers I wear MTB sandals almost year-round, and these are roomy enough to slip over. Zip up the back.