Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fat tires = Suspension

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fat tires = Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 04:51 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I guess we could add a 29er bike over a 27.5 bike. 29er rolls obstacles easier than a 27.5
With everything else equal, a larger wheel has a larger contact patch and smaller angle of attack. So the bumps would be less pronounced. Longer wheelbase also would help. Then comes frame geometry and material. Rigid bike designers can use a lot of tricks to improve the situation.
suspended bike designers can optimize the frame and wheels for other things.

Look at the Jones bike that is thoroughly designed to be a rigid bike.
Old 04-17-20, 04:53 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
With everything else equal, a larger wheel has a larger contact patch ...
Sad.
Old 04-17-20, 05:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
A larger tire, not a larger wheel. A 2" tire on a 26" rim has the same patch as a 2" tire on a 27.5.

A 2" tire however, has a larger patch than a 1.5" tire, even if the smaller tire is on a larger rim.
Old 04-17-20, 05:34 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
A 2" tire however, has a larger patch than a 1.5" tire, even if the smaller tire is on a larger rim.
Pretty weak performance art.
Old 04-17-20, 05:35 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by asgelle
Pretty weak performance art.
Lay off the herb. You'll start making sense.
Old 04-17-20, 05:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Where the heck is this thread going?
Old 04-17-20, 06:00 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
With everything else equal, a larger wheel has a larger contact patch and smaller angle of attack. So the bumps would be less pronounced. Longer wheelbase also would help. Then comes frame geometry and material. Rigid bike designers can use a lot of tricks to improve the situation.
suspended bike designers can optimize the frame and wheels for other things.

Look at the Jones bike that is thoroughly designed to be a rigid bike.
great thoughts and knowledge 👍👍

I enjoy learning from folks like you 👍
Old 04-17-20, 07:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Where the heck is this thread going?
where it was always going
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-18-20, 05:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

BTW, contact patch size is not dependent on wheel size or tire size. It is dependent on air pressure.

What contact patch has to do with suspension and why it came up in this thread is a little beyond me.
Old 04-18-20, 05:48 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
BTW, contact patch size is not dependent on wheel size or tire size. It is dependent on air pressure.

What contact patch has to do with suspension and why it came up in this thread is a little beyond me.
Wide tire with low air pressure will have more contact patch
Old 04-18-20, 06:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Wide tire with low air pressure will have more contact patch
ANY tire at lower pressure will have more contact patch.

But again, what does this have to do with suspension?
Old 04-18-20, 08:37 AM
Happy Feet

ANY tire at lower pressure will have more contact patch.

But again, what does this have to do with suspension?
I was assuming the "all things being equal" part to include tire pressure.

Of course contact patch has nothing to do with the question. We really don't even know what the question is as the Op tends to just ask random things that have no real world application. The genesis was another thread, where he asked if others rode rigid frame mtb's. Some people answered. I posted a pic of the rigid fatbike I mtb with. He mused: "Is a fat bike even a rigid?" Hence, a thread in a different sub forum asking vaguely if fat tires equal suspension.

Mostly it's a useless question without any clarification. Do fatter tires offer more "suspension" than skinny tires?

If asking in regards to road bikes and differentiating between say, a 23mm or 32mm 700c tire the answer is obvious.
If asking in regards to all roads / gravel / rail / flow trails, differentiating between say, a 1.75" or 4" 26" tire the answer is again obvious.
And, if asking about technical off road and differentiating between say, a full suspension mtb or rigid fatbike the answer is also obvious.

What is not obvious is when the question is asked just vaguely enough so that respondents argue details like tire pressure from different application POV's. Then the OP can sit back and watch the fun. One big give away is that he never clarifies the questions when asked and just randomly complements posters or parachutes comments to encourage the nonsensical debate. They are just stream of consciousness questions asked out loud.
Old 04-18-20, 08:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I was assuming the "all things being equal" part to include tire pressure.

Of course contact patch has nothing to do with the question. We really don't even know what the question is as the Op tends to just ask random things that have no real world application. The genesis was another thread, where he asked if others rode rigid frame mtb's. Some people answered. I posted a pic of the rigid fatbike I mtb with. He mused: "Is a fat bike even a rigid?" Hence, a thread in a different sub forum asking vaguely if fat tires equal suspension.

Mostly it's a useless question without any clarification. Do fatter tires offer more "suspension" than skinny tires?

If asking in regards to road bikes and differentiating between say, a 23mm or 32mm 700c tire the answer is obvious.
If asking in regards to all roads / gravel / rail / flow trails, differentiating between say, a 1.75" or 4" 26" tire the answer is again obvious.
And, if asking about technical off road and differentiating between say, a full suspension mtb or rigid fatbike the answer is also obvious.

What is not obvious is when the question is asked just vaguely enough so that respondents argue details like tire pressure from different application POV's. Then the OP can sit back and watch the fun. One big give away is that he never clarifies the questions when asked and just randomly complements posters or parachutes comments to encourage the nonsensical debate. They are just stream of consciousness questions asked out loud.
In other words.... I've been trolled
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-18-20, 09:04 AM
Happy Feet

The only question is, what's the motivation?

Sometimes it seems a poster decides they are the MC party host of the forum and feel the need to continually create interesting topics of discussion, even if they have no relevance to anything the are doing IRL. Sort of harmless in a sense but a little wearisome in the long term as regular members realize all the information they are writing is sort of wasted effort. That's why some threads by them quickly devolve into nonsensical free for alls. People stop taking the questions seriously.

Others just like to stir up argument. They start threads they know will create confusion and disagreement. A part of forum life I suppose. I understand it in a sense but never really get why. I like biking and hang out on a biking forum so I can talk about biking. Even if I argue about certain points they all relate to my experiences biking. I couldn't imagine hanging out on a knitting forum to stir up controversy so I could watch random knitters argue. Ultimately, the trolls always wind up sounding ridiculous so I don't see the pay off.

Over the years, one of the best tip offs to such continued behavior in specific sub forums has been the decided lack of pictures to accompany posts. They usually hide in anonymity. Sometimes they try to rip images off the net to claim as their own but that's a pretty easy catch with google image search. We've had some weird ones in touring. Some funny, some sad.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-18-20 at 09:08 AM.