Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$2 tubes at the Mart of Wal

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-26-21, 11:20 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

I need tubes for my 700c x 25 tires. I tried the Mart of Wal, but they're locked up and no one had a key, so I ordered them on-line, picked them up. The next day they sent me an adjustment to the order: a refund for half the price, turning a $3.92 tube into a $1.96 tube. They're Bell, standard cheap tubes. I don't know that everyone else will have my experience.
Old 01-27-21, 12:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
i got some with an order exceeding min free ship criteria for about that $.
Old 01-27-21, 05:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Old 01-27-21, 10:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Presta valved tubes?
Old 01-28-21, 10:28 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
My local WalMart had some of their 700c (Bell branded) tubes “Clearance” priced at $1.96. They were the ones sized for wider tires (38-43) but the package indicated they were also suitable for 27x1 1/8-1 1/4” tires which is what I needed anyway! They were the Presta-valved version that I prefer. I bought four of them. The tubes sized for the narrower tires (25-32?) were also on clearance but were $3.96. I didn’t need any of those tho (at that price). If they are reduced further, I may get a few. They were Presta-valved too.
Old 01-28-21, 07:29 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Are these the same tubes?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&creative=9325
Old 01-29-21, 01:48 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Roughly. I don't buy from Amazon.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Presta valved tubes?
I bought schrader but they have prestas at the same list price.
Old 01-29-21, 09:48 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Roughly. I don't buy from Amazon.

I bought schrader but they have prestas at the same list price.

Amazon supports their participating companies better than Walmart's attempt at e-commerce.

My Amazon store has no check-out line. Good in a pandemic, even forward anticipating - a sound business principle.

Glad every retail outfit is attempting to provide solutions to the consumers' desires. Including cheapo tubes.
Old 02-02-21, 06:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Price per product wins over "behind the scenes" big Corp agendas.
Old 02-03-21, 03:17 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
I personally avoid those cheap prices, i prefer to spend a little bit extra and buy something that is more durable. Every cheap inner tube i bought, after a while the valve easily camd off the tube and can't be repaired, problem absent from other more expensivr innertube, the expensive one you can beat as you want and they still keep.
Obliviously for expensive I'm talking for a normal range inner tube (5€ max) and the cheap around half of thr cost (in italy we found those cheaps on any chinise store).
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 02-03-21, 08:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've sworn off Bell tubes from Walmart ever since I bought a couple of tubes which were supposed to be 700c but were way bigger... as in I would have had to tie a knot in the tube to get it to fit correctly. I don't know if it was just a one-off production error, but they were totally useless to me.
Old 02-03-21, 11:35 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've sworn off Bell tubes from Walmart ever since I bought a couple of tubes which were supposed to be 700c but were way bigger... as in I would have had to tie a knot in the tube to get it to fit correctly. I don't know if it was just a one-off production error, but they were totally useless to me.
walmart sells 700c in 25mm to 32mm and then the larger size of 32mm to 48mm i think , i think you might have bough the bigger size or someone put them back in the wrong box , on amazon i like the continental race 6 pack for like 28 usd but i have walmart tubes for back ups in all my back packs , BUT i do have to run the 18mm tunbes for tubeless tires and for racing so i have to hit the bike shop or Eshop for those , the wally go great for training or commute !
Old 02-03-21, 12:05 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
walmart sells 700c in 25mm to 32mm and then the larger size of 32mm to 48mm i think , i think you might have bough the bigger size or someone put them back in the wrong box , on amazon i like the continental race 6 pack for like 28 usd but i have walmart tubes for back ups in all my back packs , BUT i do have to run the 18mm tunbes for tubeless tires and for racing so i have to hit the bike shop or Eshop for those , the wally go great for training or commute !
The 25-32mm or 32-48mm only refers to the cross-section diameter of the tube. Being larger that way wasn't the problem. These tubes were way too big around to go on a 700c wheel, like they were 29er's or even bigger than that. I took a picture of one of the tubes on my wheel in order to illustrate the excess length of the tube, and there's no way all that tube would have fit into the tire. Unfortunately I don't think I still have the picture anywhere. Might have been on my old Photobucket account before I quit using it.
Old 02-07-21, 05:33 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
The 25-32mm or 32-48mm only refers to the cross-section diameter of the tube. Being larger that way wasn't the problem. These tubes were way too big around to go on a 700c wheel, like they were 29er's or even bigger than that. I took a picture of one of the tubes on my wheel in order to illustrate the excess length of the tube, and there's no way all that tube would have fit into the tire. Unfortunately I don't think I still have the picture anywhere. Might have been on my old Photobucket account before I quit using it.
I think that it’s easier to “stretch” a 700c tube to fit a 27” tire than it is to “cram” a 27” tube into a 700c tire.
BTW, my WalMart had both the 700 & the 27” tubes (both with Schrader valves) marked down to $1. I couldn’t resist and bought some more! I’ll prolly donate most of my “patched but serviceable” to a local guy that fixes up “recovered” bikes to be given away.
Likes For sovende:
Old 02-07-21, 06:57 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Last month I bought two sets of Bell 27x1 1/4 tires and tubes from Walmart. Totaled $30. Going on a 50 year old Roddy that I'm restoring/donating. They look and feel good.
Old 03-26-21, 09:35 AM
Sharkasaurus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Damn that's cheap!

There's a run on tubes in Calgary AB. Our local shops think they're going to run out over the summer as everone is flocking to bikes... This is what happens when your city invests in bike lanes. Everybody gets a bike and there a run on tubes!
Old 03-26-21, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've used Bell inner tubes in my bikes for well over ten years. Usually from Walmart. But Bell can be found at some of the other big box discount stores too.

Never had an issue with any. They aren't the lightest, but they aren't the heaviest butyl tubes either. I've tried other brands but never saw any advantage to spending two dollars more on them.

As for your price. Good job. I cleared the shelf of a couple stores here a few years ago. They don't tend to stock the size I need. So when they show up I am selfish and grab them all. I've probably got too many spares on the shelf.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-26-21 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 08:57 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
The 25-32mm or 32-48mm only refers to the cross-section diameter of the tube. Being larger that way wasn't the problem. These tubes were way too big around to go on a 700c wheel, like they were 29er's or even bigger than that.
Well, 29er actually is a 700C (ISO 622) with a wide cross section, the wider version of the tube is really meant for mountain/comfort bike tires sold as 29's.

Whatever it was, sounds like a good candidate for stretching to 36" / ISO 787... kinda funny because I was looking at them in the closeout aisle today, and thinking for about an emergency spare, but I already have one I stretched somewhere.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-26-21 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 04-01-21, 11:25 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've used Bell inner tubes in my bikes for well over ten years. Usually from Walmart. But Bell can be found at some of the other big box discount stores too.

Never had an issue with any. They aren't the lightest, but they aren't the heaviest butyl tubes either. I've tried other brands but never saw any advantage to spending two dollars more on them.

As for your price. Good job. I cleared the shelf of a couple stores here a few years ago. They don't tend to stock the size I need. So when they show up I am selfish and grab them all. I've probably got too many spares on the shelf.
My Wallmart is carrying Bike Shop brand tubes for 5 bucks. It is a new brand i spose as the sign claims them to be....

Anyone use these?

They had 2 sizes of 700c and i picked up the 25-32mm size. Never had a problem with their brand of tubes and hoping this new brand is no different.
Old 04-01-21, 11:58 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
My son-in-law, God bless his cheapskate arse, buys the cheapo 6-pack of chinese tubes from Amazon, and is lucky that 4 out of six hold air. That whole family is bike-crazy, and they each have several bikes. I understand why he wants to conserve the integrity of his wallet, but I tell him that scrimping on tubes is not wise. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Buy once. Cry once. Spending a few more bucks on quality tubes and gear will save you time and money and a LOT of aggravation in the long run. Ask yourself if you'd rather be riding or effing around with cheap tubes.
Old 04-01-21, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
My Wallmart is carrying Bike Shop brand tubes for 5 bucks. It is a new brand i spose as the sign claims them to be....

Anyone use these?

They had 2 sizes of 700c and i picked up the 25-32mm size. Never had a problem with their brand of tubes and hoping this new brand is no different.

Probably the same Bell Tube as already discussed. Maybe they are trying another marketing strategy.

There isn't anything magical between the butyl tubes or between the latex tubes or between the other types of tubes. Most brands are decent no matter where you buy them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-21, 12:54 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Probably the same Bell Tube as already discussed. Maybe they are trying another marketing strategy.

There isn't anything magical between the butyl tubes or between the latex tubes or between the other types of tubes. Most brands are decent no matter where you buy them.
thanks, good catch.

hopefully the best of all worlds. good price and better quality........should we hold our breath? after reading this thread, i decided to visit Wally's bicycle offerings and was delighted to see a fully stocked tube section, especially in a day when tubes are scarcer and prices higher. what next, good quality tires/prices too?