Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 06-23-21, 10:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Question for those in the know about 7400 Dura Ace. I want to take a test ride, but don't trust the old tires. Would the DA shifters work with other Shimano series in friction mode? If so, I could swap in a different wheelset for the test ride. If not, wait for new tires or swap out shifters/RD/rear hub stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-21, 10:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Prestige is an "honorary member" of the IM Nation, I'd say. Those AGC levers are certainly period-correct; I wouldn't be surprised if they were installed as a shop option when the bike was sold new. Interesting to know that they beat DA to the market BITD.

I don't see why friction mode wouldn't work. Friction shifting should be pretty-much universal.

Shoot, I put that ^^^^^ same generation of Dura Ace RD on an otherwise-all-Sante 1989 Schwinn Circuit, and it indexed just fine.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-23-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-23-21, 10:24 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by madpogue
Prestige is an "honorary member" of the IM Nation, I'd say. Those AGC levers are certainly period-correct; I wouldn't be surprised if they were installed as a shop option when the bike was sold new. Interesting to know that they beat DA to the market BITD.
They're also lighter than the aero version of the DA levers.
Old 06-23-21, 10:28 AM
seypat

How about new bar tape? Anyone dig the shiny silver it came with originally? I have some shinyish silver that matches the decals. Or should it be black?

Old 06-23-21, 12:46 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Nice score, Pat. Saw that ad and wondered about the brake levers.
If you wind up getting correct non-aero DA levers, the Rustines hoods for Campagnolo Record fit them like a glove.
Avoid 7 speed 7401 aero levers at all cost, they were short run and not well designed, used the same lever body as 6209.
7402 levers are better aero levers and there are more of them out there (longer production run) but are getting stupid pricey.
Old 06-23-21, 01:43 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
Nice score, Pat. Saw that ad and wondered about the brake levers.

If you wind up getting correct non-aero DA levers, the Rustines hoods for Campagnolo Record fit them like a glove.

Avoid 7 speed 7401 aero levers at all cost, they were short run and not well designed, used the same lever body as 6209.

7402 levers are better aero levers and there are more of them out there (longer production run) but are getting stupid pricey.

Thanks for the info on the levers The seller turned out to be a flipper. I talked him down some because of the distance and non original pedals. That's the 3rd bike I've bought from that area in the last 10 years. Haven't had any traffic problems getting in and out so far. I think the key is hitting the outskirts around 10am. Once I got back to Fredericksburg, I did my business then headed for Richmond. I encountered 3 wrecks between Ashland and my office in Midlothian. Set me back about 30 minutes. Go figure.

I understand now why that one picture of your charcoal IM looked blue to me. It looks green to me in the catalog. Every darkish color that the frame gets around it seems to take on that color.

That looks like a great time you had on the 5 guys VA trip. Too bad it was a climbing affair. Climbing pretty much eliminates me from any group ride.

If you could, please recommend some tubulars to go on this bike.

Last edited by seypat; 06-23-21 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-23-21, 07:01 PM
seypat

So after looking the Prestige over, this is what I see as different.(other than the tubing/fork/components)

The frame is chrome under the paint. (Same as Turbo)
The seat clamp is different, but similar to the Turbo.
The BB shell is different with pointy lugs.
The head tube lugs are super pointy.
The engraved "Centurion" on the seatstay is different and funky/cool.

Old 06-23-21, 07:45 PM
rccardr 

Originally Posted by seypat
If you could, please recommend some tubulars to go on this bike.
I recommend ones of the clincher variety.
Old 06-24-21, 01:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Question for those in the know about 7400 Dura Ace. I want to take a test ride, but don't trust the old tires. Would the DA shifters work with other Shimano series in friction mode? If so, I could swap in a different wheelset for the test ride. If not, wait for new tires or swap out shifters/RD/rear hub stuff.

Thanks in advance.
The only Dura Ace downtube shifters I have are the 7401, 7-speed. They worked fine with every wheelset I tried: one with a basic Shimano MegaRange type freewheel; another wheelset from my Ironman with Suntour Alpha freewheel; and another wheelset with freehub and 7-speed Shimano and SunRace cassettes. No problem in friction mode, although I used that only with the Suntour freewheel. It handled index shifting fine with the 7-speed Shimano freewheels and cassettes.

No idea about longevity or reliability of the DA 7401 downtube levers, I've used them only for a couple of months back in spring 2019.

The chromed SunRace freewheels and cassettes shift and run even better. While I can't vouch for the long term quality of the SunRace (although I've ridden a two or three SunRace freewheels and cassettes for going on 3 years), the cog tooth design is superb. It shifts more crisply and quietly and runs more smoothly than Shimano (other, perhaps, than Dura Ace, although I have only one 10-speed DA cassette).
Old 06-24-21, 05:47 AM
seypat

I recommend ones of the clincher variety.
That's the kind of recommendation I was looking for! I have a set of Campy hubs/Mavic MA40 that will go on to maintain the look until a clincher replacement for the Mavic GP-4 is found. I really like the Araya AR-713s I put on the blue Turbo. It might be some of these if I can find them at a decent price.

https://www.araya-usa.com/700crims/tx-733-700c

Last edited by seypat; 06-24-21 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 05:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
The only Dura Ace downtube shifters I have are the 7401, 7-speed. They worked fine with every wheelset I tried: one with a basic Shimano MegaRange type freewheel; another wheelset from my Ironman with Suntour Alpha freewheel; and another wheelset with freehub and 7-speed Shimano and SunRace cassettes. No problem in friction mode, although I used that only with the Suntour freewheel. It handled index shifting fine with the 7-speed Shimano freewheels and cassettes.

No idea about longevity or reliability of the DA 7401 downtube levers, I've used them only for a couple of months back in spring 2019.

The chromed SunRace freewheels and cassettes shift and run even better. While I can't vouch for the long term quality of the SunRace (although I've ridden a two or three SunRace freewheels and cassettes for going on 3 years), the cog tooth design is superb. It shifts more crisply and quietly and runs more smoothly than Shimano (other, perhaps, than Dura Ace, although I have only one 10-speed DA cassette).
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-21, 05:55 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by madpogue

I don't see why friction mode wouldn't work. Friction shifting should be pretty-much universal.

Shoot, I put that ^^^^^ same generation of Dura Ace RD on an otherwise-all-Sante 1989 Schwinn Circuit, and it indexed just fine.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-21, 06:37 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
MAN!!!
seypat LOVIN' that Prestige.
Dang It, now I want One.
It's my size too.
Personally, I think that's one Centurion that would be hard to improve from OEM.
I say start another thread to get the Envy it so deserves.
Saddle and tape should match regardless of color.
Wash and wax and more pics needed especially of componentry.
I guess we know what you'll be taking to HnH?

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-24-21 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 08:22 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
MAN!!!
seypat LOVIN' that Prestige.
Dang It, now I want One.
It's my size too.
Personally, I think that's one Centurion that would be hard to improve from OEM.
I say start another thread to get the Envy it so deserves.
Saddle and tape should match regardless of color.
Wash and wax and more pics needed especially of componentry.
I guess we know what you'll be taking to HnH?
Thinking about it. That way you and the other 54cm riders could take a turn. Bring a cone wrench and quickly switch pedals at the SAGs. It's rare though, like the Asian IM. Maybe they shouldn't fly. The bike will be shipped via Bikeflights or ShipBikes. It will be shipped in a bike box. I'm going to make an endoskeleton for the box from small PVC pipe to prevent crushing. It shouldn't add more than a pound or two to the shipping weight. I've tried to find the elevation for the HNH. I think I can get by with a stock setup and something like a 26 or 28T on the back. If it's hot, I'd rather have gearing that keeps me in the 85-90 cadence range. Above that, overheating will become a problem. Maybe even rolling along at a slow cadence like the triathletes do. We'll see.

Last edited by seypat; 06-24-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 09:09 AM
seypat

Took the pedals/computer off and weighed it on my cheapo Dr. Meter hanging scales. It clocked in at............19.94lbs! Impressive, most impressive. However, it makes you realize why a bike/setup like the IM and its peers were successful. That weight savings is great, but how much more was the cost? When you're a journeyman weekend warrior paying your own way with a limited budget, you have to find ways to keep the costs down. If you're a pro, you get the best someone else's money can buy. Maybe you even get another entity to build the bike and rebrand it like a lot of pros did. If you're plopping down your own coin though, which one would you choose? Those Caddies, Lincolns, and Chryslers are sweet, but if you can get a Chevy, Ford or Dodge that goes as fast, which one you racing on the weekend?

Last edited by seypat; 06-24-21 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 05:09 PM
texaspandj

Admittedly, I'm that guy who gets enjoyment out of passing the latest greatest lighhtest when I'm on my Ironman. I know, I know, it's immature. However the good thing is I can always blame my bike when they pass me.
Yeah, I like the Vintage. It's not necessarily the best But it's what I like. My ultimate car is the corvette, but I'd take a vintage corvette over a brand new corvette. But hey, that's me, You do You.
​​​​​​Keep the rubber side down IronKids.

Even though this is Vintage, I don't get as much satisfaction passing people because it's carbon fiber wrapped aluminum.😊

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-24-21 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 06:30 PM
seypat

Admittedly, I'm that guy who gets enjoyment out of passing the latest greatest lighhtest when I'm on my Ironman. I know, I know, it's immature. However the good thing is I can always blame my bike when they pass me.
Yeah, I like the Vintage. It's not necessarily the best But it's what I like. My ultimate car is the corvette, but I'd take a vintage corvette over a brand new corvette. But hey, that's me, You do You.
​​​​​​Keep the rubber side down IronKids.

Even though this is Vintage, I don't get as much satisfaction passing people because it's carbon fiber wrapped aluminum.😊
That setup is nasty, baby!
Old 06-24-21, 08:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
seypat , if you have clincher rims and want something close to tubs, try the Soma Supple Vitesse, which are often discounted, for the sweetest clincher ride I've experienced without costing a fortune or sacrificing durabilty and puncture resistance. They're really sweet tires.

Add latex tubes for perfection. I usually get Silca latex tubes (which are made by Vittoria for Silca) but those are a bit too wide for my 700x23 Soma tires, so I got the Vittoria brand narrowest latex tubes as well.
Old 06-25-21, 07:43 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts

Vittoria Corsa Tubulars. Nice bike.
Old 06-25-21, 11:27 AM
texaspandj

So I acquired a new bike yesterday. I will sell some to justify getting it. (no Centurions will be sold) Should I start another thread, or keep it in here? Seems like
texaspandj has a Comp TA. We can do a thorough analysis of the various models. @fleslider, if you want any pictures for the site, let me know. I thought it was all original, but I noticed the aero levers. Those are Dia Compe Aero Gran Compe swapped in before Dura Ace had aero levers.

Hey seypat, are you going to do a full tear down and rebuild.
Are you building back to specs?
Also, I want your BIKE!
Old 06-25-21, 12:11 PM
seypat

Hey seypat, are you going to do a full tear down and rebuild.
Are you building back to specs?
Also, I want your BIKE!
Here is the most likely scenarios. If it goes to HNH, the crank will be swapped for the Shimano 600 FC-6207 110/74 crank from one of the other bikes. Although, the black crank for the Turbo would look nasty. Or maybe the silver crank with black rings. That will have 52/36 or 50/34 rings. The freewheel on it currently is a 13-26. If I feel that is enough gearing, then the DA RD/wheelset will stay on with different rims. If I think I need a little more, I have a Ultegra 6500 RD that will go on as well as the wheelset pictured from the IM. Most likely the Ultegra RD with the 12-28 wheelset pictured. 12-28 7 speed gearing is almost perfect. Shifting will either be my usual barcons or 7 speed Microshift brifters. I guess the DA DT shifters could stay on in friction mode. I have short fingers and don't care for the long throw of Shimano brifters. After the HNH or if it doesn't go, then it will go back to OEM except have clinchers. It might take a while to get original brake levers, those are pricey. There is a set on the Bay for cheap, but they are missing a pin. I might be able to make one. The current levers are their equal anyway, so no hurry. I haven't decided which style/color of tire I like better.

Edit: I read the DA RD's max is 26t, but I could experiment and see.

Last edited by seypat; 06-25-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 12:12 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Classtime
Vittoria Corsa Tubulars. Nice bike.
Thanks, I'll take a look at them.
Old 06-25-21, 02:00 PM
rccardr 

The DA 740X RD will handle 28 teeth. You may have to play with axle position in the dropouts.
Depending on elevation change, I'd go with either the stock crank or the 6207 (if you polish the 7207 it will look very much like a DA crank of that era)
Old 06-25-21, 02:23 PM
seypat

The DA 740X RD will handle 28 teeth. You may have to play with axle position in the dropouts.
Depending on elevation change, I'd go with either the stock crank or the 6207 (if you polish the 7207 it will look very much like a DA crank of that era)
Thanks for the info. The DA RD it will be. The elevation is not a problem. Just some rollers and an overpass. But the wind will be strong. With a 28t back, I could probably run a 39 small ring and the original crank. At about 80 miles, you turn back into a strong, hot wind from the south. Kind of like sitting next to a furnace.

How about those tires? Who's digging the black? Who's digging the gumwalls?

Last edited by seypat; 06-25-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 02:51 PM
texaspandj

Thanks for the info. The DA RD it will be. The elevation is not a problem. Just some rollers and an overpass. But the wind will be strong. With a 28t back, I could probably run a 39 small ring and the original crank. At about 80 miles, you turn back into a strong, hot wind from the south. Kind of like sitting next to a furnace.

How about those tires? Who's digging the black? Who's digging the gumwalls?
My racing wheels has a 28 cog for a Dura Ace RD no problems.
Although all my bikes are currently running black wall I think I'd put tan wall on that Centurion Prestige.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.