Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

changing my groupset from Dura Ace Di2 11 to 12, or?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-27-21, 01:46 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

hi everyone,

Just over a month ago, I purchased a Aethos Pro with sweet deal on an upgraded (from SRAM Force 12 speed) to Shimano Dura Ace R9170 11 speed, compact rings, 11-30 cassette etc. The bike's great, and I've only put about 200km on it, and now the 12 speed DA R9270 is out. Not big news, I was expecting this, but thought it would be next year. So, I'm thinking, it's the end of year, starting to get cool down, and I've got other bikes to ride, should I consider selling my R9170 groupset, then wait still stock hopefully stabilizes mid 2022 and buying an R9270? My other idea was to do a nice big range on 1x SRAM Red. Drop the front derailleur, with a big wide range on the back. Would appreciate some feedback on this for those who'd like to discuss it with me. Thanks!
Old 09-27-21, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What is it that you're hoping the next groupset will do better? Why do you think that selling your current groupset now (and mothballing the rest of the bike, evidently) is advantageous vs riding your bike and then selling your current groupset when you can actually get your hands on your desired groupset?

Overall, though, your post is a whole bunch of "what the what?" for me. You bought a fabulous bike more than a month ago, but you've got maybe a week's worth of riding on it and now you want to rebuild it. Frankly, I don't think that changing out anything on the bike is going to resolve the issue.
Old 09-27-21, 02:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
What you have is fantastic and more than good enough.

Ride more, and worry less.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-27-21, 02:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I read somewhere that there is virtually no chance of buying 12 speed Shimano, other than on a complete bike, for the entirety of 2022. I'd want solid assurance otherwise before I sold off an 11 speed I was using.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-27-21, 02:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Sell your Aethos at a huge loss, and then buy a 2022 Aethos for a huge markup ..... you get the latest group and lose thousands of dollars (tens of millions of Canadian dollars.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-27-21, 03:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
hi everyone,

Just over a month ago, I purchased a Aethos Pro with sweet deal on an upgraded (from SRAM Force 12 speed) to Shimano Dura Ace R9170 11 speed, compact rings, 11-30 cassette etc. The bike's great, and I've only put about 200km on it, and now the 12 speed DA R9270 is out. Not big news, I was expecting this, but thought it would be next year. So, I'm thinking, it's the end of year, starting to get cool down, and I've got other bikes to ride, should I consider selling my R9170 groupset, then wait still stock hopefully stabilizes mid 2022 and buying an R9270? My other idea was to do a nice big range on 1x SRAM Red. Drop the front derailleur, with a big wide range on the back. Would appreciate some feedback on this for those who'd like to discuss it with me. Thanks!
You have more bike than you will be able to ever take advantage of. Now you want to change to an even newer groupset that is eerily similar to what you currently have, or maybe go 1x with a wide range SRAM group?
It sounds like you just want to tinker. Thats cool and all, but you should definitely figure out what you want to tinker on/what goal you have. 1x is a significant alternative to your current bike and your initial proposed change.
Old 09-27-21, 03:35 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

It's true, I've got more bike than I can use, I'm not arguing that.

Maybe this will go over better for you guys, because the replies I'm getting aren't really what I was looking for, and maybe I came across wrong?

I'm annoyed the new groupset is out, just over a month after getting this bike. "Next year sometime" is what the LBS told me, and for stock, maybe that's accurate? I think it's a seller's market at the moment, and maybe I can come out okay with this, and maybe, just maybe, end up with a Shimano 12-speed Di2! Why not?

The other thing is...only you guys can understand this stuff...my wife is done hearing about my bikes!!!

You're right, I do love to tinker, esp with the electronic side of things, it's just what I like to do.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You have more bike than you will be able to ever take advantage of. Now you want to change to an even newer groupset that is eerily similar to what you currently have, or maybe go 1x with a wide range SRAM group?
It sounds like you just want to tinker. Thats cool and all, but you should definitely figure out what you want to tinker on/what goal you have. 1x is a significant alternative to your current bike and your initial proposed change.
Old 09-27-21, 04:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Maybe this will go over better for you guys, because the replies I'm getting aren't really what I was looking for, and maybe I came across wrong?

I'm annoyed the new groupset is out, just over a month after getting this bike.
Being frustrated over the announcement (let's be real - it's not "out") is somewhat understandable, but it needs to be tempered with, "so what?" Realistically, what are you hoping to improve upon with updating the groupset? If you just want the latest and greatest for the sake of it, fine, but don't ask for honest feedback.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-27-21, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I'd assume all you need is a new cassette, chain and crankset, right? Everything else can be done I'm sure with a new 11-to-12 speed firmware update that I'm sure is forthcoming from Shimano.
Old 09-27-21, 04:47 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
You will gain no advantage by switching from 11-speed Di2 to 12-speed Di2.

That said ... DO IT! *

😁

(* assuming you can even get hold of it)
Old 09-27-21, 04:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts

The other thing is...only you guys can understand this stuff...my wife is done hearing about my bikes!!!
Are you surprised? Imagine your wife has just bought a new $3k handbag. Then a month later she hears that a new almost identical handbag has just come out with 1 extra internal pocket. So now she wants to sell the "old" handbag and buy the new one asap. But actually there's also a completely different handbag she's thinking about buying as an alternative. She's been on all the handbag forums asking what others think.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-27-21, 04:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Are you surprised? Imagine your wife has just bought a new $3k handbag. Then a month later she hears that a new almost identical handbag has just come out with 1 extra internal pocket. So now she wants to sell the "old" handbag and buy the new one asap. But actually there's also a completely different handbag she's thinking about buying as an alternative. She's been on all the handbag forums asking what others think.
Handbags? Really?
Old 09-27-21, 05:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
No, BF is just filled with cycling puritans who, while not against people spending money per se, are offended when people spend money not in accordance with their respective strict cycling value systems.

I'm annoyed the new groupset is out, just over a month after getting this bike.
That said, an annoyance at not having the "latest and greatest" despite having just made a significant purchase (albeit at a "sweet deal") is very much to be expected due to the timing of said significant purchase, and certainly not a reason to detract from your further enjoyment of said significant purchase. As far as I know we cannot buy bikes like we (used to) buy iPhones, i.e., an upgrade every other year. Just go ride your Aethos more often before the Toronto winter arrives.

You're right, I do love to tinker, esp with the electronic side of things, it's just what I like to do.
I too love to tinker almost as much as I love to ride, but fail to see how much more tinkering enjoyment you would get from a 12 speed Di2 system compared to an 11 speed Di2 system.

My wife flips purses, so I would just tell her to buy all of the aforementioned handbags and then decide which ones to sell. Unlike gently used road bikes, high end handbags in excellent condition are a hedge against inflation. Her purse hobby makes money; my cycling hobby costs money.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-27-21, 07:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If it's tinkering and newest you seek, then buy a new frame and the new groupset. Build up a new bike. Then do it again in six months with that other groupset you're coveting.

Last edited by seypat; 09-27-21 at 07:42 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-27-21, 07:31 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

You must know my wife! 😂 She’s picked up a few sales tips along the way and, like many women, likes her handbags. She’s found buying used, enjoying them and reselling at consignment stores, she loses very little, and sometimes makes a few dollars. She gets her bags I get my bikes?! That said, what the heck are we talking bags for on this bike forum?! But, point taken. 😊

Old 09-27-21, 07:36 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Not really. It’s a tough bike to source atm so it would probably sell close to what I paid for it, but I realize you were tongue in cheek here!

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sell your Aethos at a huge loss, and then buy a 2022 Aethos for a huge markup ..... you get the latest group and lose thousands of dollars (tens of millions of Canadian dollars.)
Old 09-27-21, 11:50 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Her purse hobby makes money; my cycling hobby costs money.

Does it even out...? 😅
Old 09-28-21, 12:41 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If you think you can sell your bike at minimal loss I would do that.
Then get a new bike with 12sp DA when available.
I am sure it will be available on complete bikes some time before it will be available as a groupset.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 09-28-21, 01:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Does it even out...? 😅
1. Given that I only have two bikes, yes, I would say so.
2. I was not joking when I said that her handbags serve as a hedge against inflation.
Old 09-28-21, 06:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
I'm still happily riding my 9 and 10 speed bikes...So, you really wouldn't like my input.
Old 09-28-21, 07:56 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Buy new DA groupset now, wait patiently until it's in your hands (which will likely be sometime next year), then sell current DA groupset? In the meantime, ride the bike.

What am I missing here?
Old 09-28-21, 01:27 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Buy new DA groupset now, wait patiently until it's in your hands (which will likely be sometime next year), then sell current DA groupset? In the meantime, ride the bike.

What am I missing here?
it isn't you that is missing a clear view, IMO.

Different strokes, for people who want to have strokes, I guess.
Old 09-28-21, 02:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about shimano 12, since you have a bike outfitted with top of the line 11 and don't use a cassette with 32 or 34T sprockets. There's virtually nothing to be gained. If you want, get an xtr 12 chain. It works with 11 speed. The new 11-34 12 speed cassette will be better.
Old 09-28-21, 04:37 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

yes I’m sure it’s a quick and easy upgrade path! 😂

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd assume all you need is a new cassette, chain and crankset, right? Everything else can be done I'm sure with a new 11-to-12 speed firmware update that I'm sure is forthcoming from Shimano.
Old 09-28-21, 04:41 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

How is wondering if I could move to a 12 speed Dura Ace missing a clear view? As I mentioned I am enjoying my bike just wondering what the upgrade path would look like.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
it isn't you that is missing a clear view, IMO.

Different strokes, for people who want to have strokes, I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.