Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 07:36 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
[..] trot, a local genre [...]. It's like a German Oompah band got drunk and sentimental and decided to play sad songs with Asian instruments, over a throbbing one-two beat with a schizophrenic saxophonist.[...]
You can't just drop a paragraph like that without giving us a link to a typical video or soundcloud file.
Old 11-04-20, 07:51 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
You can't just drop a paragraph like that without giving us a link to a typical video or soundcloud file.
Ha!

I can't seem to link to soundcloud, and I can't open YouTube on this computer, so just punch "Jin Sung Trot" into Google and follow the YouTube links to get an idea.

Last edited by PDKL45; 11-04-20 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 11-04-20, 07:55 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Oh, damn that's awful! I tried various spots in that video and the next is even worse than the previous. Sheesh! Maybe some of my dislike is cultural, but I really, really don't like that.
Old 11-04-20, 08:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
i made it to 11 seconds and that was it for me.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-04-20, 08:52 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I don’t listen to music on the bike because I need to hear what’s happening. I DO sometimes have music in my head while riding, but frequently it’s some snippet of American Primitive guitar stuff.

My tastes have changed, though. While I still enjoy blues and rockabilly and early British Invasion stuff, I listen to a lot more instrumental acoustic guitar, heavy on John Fahey and his disciples, sometimes more deeply into the Brazilians (specifically Baden Powell and Bola Sete), other days the British folk fingerstylists from Davy Graham, Bert Jansch and John Renbourn through Nick Drake and Richard Thompson. Some days I need my fix of Django Reinhardt, others I need Wes Montgomery. None of that fits neatly into workout mode, but neither do I.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-04-20, 09:25 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I use a UE Boom 3 to listen to very loud music while riding but my taste in music is in no way influenced by my riding.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-05-20, 02:16 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I listen to books on the bike, but my taste in music has not changed
Old 11-05-20, 02:23 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I use a UE Boom 3 to listen to very loud music while riding but my taste in music is in no way influenced by my riding.
i use same..but two of said speaker. i tend to only use them on my regular easy local ride of 15-20 miles to break the monotony.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-05-20, 03:52 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I don’t listen to music on the bike because I need to hear what’s happening. I DO sometimes have music in my head while riding, but frequently it’s some snippet of American Primitive guitar stuff.

My tastes have changed, though. While I still enjoy blues and rockabilly and early British Invasion stuff, I listen to a lot more instrumental acoustic guitar, heavy on John Fahey and his disciples, sometimes more deeply into the Brazilians (specifically Baden Powell and Bola Sete), other days the British folk fingerstylists from Davy Graham, Bert Jansch and John Renbourn through Nick Drake and Richard Thompson. Some days I need my fix of Django Reinhardt, others I need Wes Montgomery. None of that fits neatly into workout mode, but neither do I.
listened to some richard/linda thompson recently but now gotta throw on some john martyn.
Old 11-05-20, 05:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It changes. For awhile this year it was mostly bebop. Lately it's been a Madchester, shoegaze and trip hop flashback. Depends on whether I'm just moving my feet to get miles in, or going for a speed goal. I prefer no music if I'm pushing for a PR since I don't want to get locked into a song's tempo.
Old 11-05-20, 05:49 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Cycling got me watching the CBS Sports coverage of the Tour de France and Paris-Roubaix back in the 80's. And they featured a lot of electronic music, that I managed to track down much of years later. This album in particular I find brilliant, and apparently CBS did too, since almost all the songs on it were used for their coverage.

Featured heavily in this race:

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-05-20, 06:40 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

oh those evil stones...and old yes members...
Old 11-05-20, 11:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My musical tastes are influenced by significant life events and memories. Bike riding has been a constant since the 1970s for me. I doubt that it has had any affect at all on my selection of music.

And like most of the posters on this thread, I don't listen to music while I ride. I may hum a tune, or whistle or have some silly song (like the Captain and Tennille's Love Will Keep Us Together) playing on a loop in my head. Sedaka is baaack...
Old 11-05-20, 12:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
A music review in Dirt Rag is what got me into the Drive By Truckers.
Old 11-05-20, 06:44 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Cycling got me watching the CBS Sports coverage of the Tour de France and Paris-Roubaix back in the 80's. And they featured a lot of electronic music, that I managed to track down much of years later. This album in particular I find brilliant, and apparently CBS did too, since almost all the songs on it were used for their coverage...
You can also check out Kraftwerk, the German proto-techno band, with their "Tour de France Soundtracks" album from 2003. It has the 1983 song "Tour de France" as well as other material and unusually for them, has only one version of lyrics in a mix of French, German and English (other releases had had separate German and international vocal releases). Members of the band were enthusiastic cyclists and there has even been the suggestion that a focus on cycling, rather than music, may have contributed to the demise of the band's classic line up.
Old 11-05-20, 07:07 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I don't listen to music when I'm riding. But recently my wife has been taking care of our three month old granddaughter while my son and daughter-in-law are working. The baby has a swing that plays music, which of course I hear. Lately when I've been riding, the song "Rockabye Baby" has been going through my head. Very annoying
Likes For Random11:
Old 11-06-20, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Not really, I listen to a wide variety of music but happily bonded with a fellow employee on a company camping trip over some Sleep and Weedeater amongst others in that genre. It was pretty epic hearing Sleep's Holy Mountain played loud on large speakers by a campfire after listening to some less than exciting music. However certainly being around more people that enjoy cannabis does help to find more cannabis oriented music even if you yourself don't partake and bike shops are certainly a good place to find those who do partake.

I find a band I like and generally explore more and pretty soon I am finding some pretty neat and odd stuff. Though sometimes I have walked into a record shop and just bought albums because they look cool or the band has a cool name. Sometimes it provides some gems and sometimes it is just good fun or potential art.

In the rare times I listen to music while riding it is pretty eclectic and not always super upbeat but in many cases I try to find more energizing songs but sometimes it is something I just love. A lot of times it is stuff I am really into at the moment or putting it on to honor a death in the band or of the singer or songwriter or something like that.
Old 11-06-20, 09:43 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I listen to music while riding... solo. (The one time a week I ride with someone else I don't listen to music.) I'm either listening to '80s pop or 70s funk.
Riding hasn't changed what I listen to.
When I started running I wouldn't listen to music while running because I didn't want to ruin the simplicity of Running. All you need is a good pair of running shoes and a pair of running shorts.
Unlike running, cycling takes a lot more effort. Besides shoes and shorts you need hi viz shirt, Lube chain, inflate tires, helmet, fill water bottles, turn on blinky... so adding ear buds for music isn't much of a distraction for me.
Of course if I was forced to be on a MUP for training I wouldn't wear one but then again I wouldn't live somewhere I was forced to ride on a MUP.
Old 11-08-20, 04:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I dont listen to music while I ride. I dont think it is safe.

At home it is the oldies like folk music and old real country.
Old 11-08-20, 08:20 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM

Sometimes I might put DK or Gorilla Biscuits on for ten or twenty minutes before riding and have it bouncing around my head while pedaling.
Start Today is a great biking album.

If I'm riding a trail on a big ride I don't listen to music - out in nature i like to stay out in nature. But I just moved away from NYC after living there for 10 years - riding around the city I like to listen to music via my bluetooth speaker clipped to my messenger bag. Can't say biking has influenced my taste in music, but growing up in the punk scene I'd say my taste in music helped me get into parts of the cycling culture that goes hand in hand with punk.
Old 11-08-20, 10:49 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I almost always listen to music when I ride, because I mostly ride on a MUP with no traffic. Still call out passes, and stay in my lane so people behind me (who I don't know are coming) can safely pass. It's never been an issue, but obviously cars/traffic changes things.

I grew up a 90's alternative kid, these days I primarily listen to outlaw country/Americana etc. But, since I've been doing so much running and cycling, I've gotten more into metal/metalcore during workings, which does bleed a lot into my listening in daily life as well.

Architects, The Ghost Inside, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Deftones, Alexisonfire, a lot of fast paced music with screaming. I grew up listening to it on rare occasions, but now I listen to a lot more of it.

I'm only interested in pushing myself, whether on the bike or on my feet. Country music, usually, isn't what I want to hear during those times, as much as I love it.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 11-09-20, 04:33 AM
cycler56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I don't listen to music while on a bike. My taste in music, and its importance in my life has changed over the years.
Me too.
Old 11-09-20, 12:28 PM
kastigar

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX and a Trek 720, hybrid modified for road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a log multi-day bike trip it's Mozart in the morning and Strauss in the evening.
Old 11-09-20, 12:42 PM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Being a teen in the 80's, I loved good heavy metal. Stuff like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. And then into the 90 with more metal, stuff like Soundgarden, Pantera. And then into the early 2000's with Slipknot, Disturbed and others.
While I rode a bit in my teens and twenty's, I really didn't start getting serious until my mid to late 30's. And I tried to listen to metal while riding. It just didn't seem to fit. It just..I dunno...not much of a motivator.

A few years ago, my daughters were into the anime/kpop scene. They offered to upload some of the more techno kpop stuff to my phone. I've always thought this stuff to be a bit cheesy. But being bored on a long ride and not wanting to listen to my metal tracks, I decided to pull up their playlist and...it wasn't that bad! Nice upbeat music, good steady beat, and it put me into a good mood. If anything, it was a good beat that seemed to fit much more nicely with cycling than guitars and screaming.
I do remember liking of the of the early EDM stuff, like Technotronic, Labouche, Snap!, etc. .These got uploaded to my playlists, and they fit nicely into my long rides too.
With the advent of streaming radio on smartphones, I've searched several stations. I've settled on one that always fits cycling, PulsRadio Dance.

Now, Ive read that as people age, their music tastes do too. And this might be the case. But for now, the upbeat EDM stuff seems to fit my cycling best, and that seems to be the genre I listen to most now, even on my drive to work.

TLDR:
Cycling made me find music more suited for this activity. and upbeat EDM type stuff has fit the bill to much that I now rarely listen to the stuff I did when I was younger.

Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?
There are bands that combine metal with kpop and or other techno based music. (industrial metal. ) That might suit your tastes for riding.

Some bands to check out: black light discipline, blood stain child, korn (the path of totality cd), baby metal and others.

Me, I just always listen to metal of all kinds.
Old 11-09-20, 12:42 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Super enthralled and self absorbed

In the last couple of years I began using a Bluetooth water bottle shaped speaker on my bike commute. I avoid Multi Use Paths on the commute.

I dislike the MUPs where I live because it is slower, because a lot of people wear ear buds and are looking at their phones, because other riders behavior is inappropriate for the setting (too fast, racing, passing etc).

So has cycling changed my taste in music? I doubt it. It could work the other way too. I'm a piano hack and synth hack since forever, and I sometimes draw inspiration from mountain biking, especially the photographs we get along the way.

Music changed my cycling when I bought Bluetooth speaker that fits into a bottle cage.

I'm empathic. I don't like hearing other people's music at high volumes. So conversely I don't want to annoy others with mine.

Hence riding solo to work on the road with music at a modest enough volume to hear traffic etc. and not subjecting others to the music.

I listen to uptempo techno, funk, and rock, like the AcDc-like band Airbourne.

I don't use the speaker on every ride, but typically once it's on, it stays on for the entire commute.

I haven't taken it on social rides or mountain biking.

When traffic virtually disappeared at the beginning of the pandemic my wife and I took out our tandem from mothballs and doubled the speakers and did some fast short not very climby rides listening to techno mixes and that was at times euphoric, intense, and a hell of a lot of fun.

In conclusion, I think I am more open to techno EDM than ever due to cycling along to it. What can seem too repetitive and intense to me in other situations, is exactly the best motivator when commuting or riding the tandem with my wife who likes the same music.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.