Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Downed Power Lines

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: You are riding along and come upon a downed power line. What do you do?
Ride over it. The rubber tires/tubes will protect you.
3.09%
Play it safe and bunny hop it.
7.22%
Carefully step over, while carrying the bike.
9.28%
Turn around and change route, it’s much too dangerous to risk.
60.82%
Stop and move the line to the side, so no one gets hurt.
2.06%
Other
17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Downed Power Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 11:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Good story. I bet it felt great.

Glad you didn't get hurt falling off that ladder.
My feet were only 4' off the floor. But at any height. the risk was better than the alternative.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-18-20, 04:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My second of my three (failed) attempts at ending my life (all not intended) happened when I managed to contact an apparently live electrical conduit with my sweaty right wrist while holding bailing wire in my equally sweaty left hand. Stopped my heart and breathing instantly. Paralyzed me, But I stayed fully conscious. Knew I had to break the contact and reasoned if I kicked hard enough I could unbalance myself and fall off the step ladder I was on. It worked. I got to about an inch past balance, then fell for what seemed like minutes before hitting the floor very hard flat on my back. The impact started my heart. Fascinating being completely aware of the state of my body the whole time.

We never duplicated the circuit. Probably 110V though it could have been 220V. Whatever, it was plenty.

Ben
Your story reminds me of recently opening up a clothes dryer in order to take the power cord off to put on another dryer. I opened the little panel on the back to find that a mouse had gotten into it and apparently was climbing up the electrical connection. He had one front paw on the common and the other paw on one side of the 220V. So he must have gotten a full 110V through his little body. He wasn't a particularly crispy critter but he was all dried out. He must have had voltage flowing through him up to the point where he finally dried out long enough to increase resistance and lower voltage.
Old 11-18-20, 07:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Just a reminder, Volts don’t flow or kill, they are just the energy difference between the two poles. The static charge you pick by schlepping around the house on a dry winter day and discharge into a doorknob can be in the thousands of volts. It’s current (Amps) that does all the work and damage and the damage potential is dependent not just on the amperage, but the density, that is, the Amps per unit area of the conductor. A milliampere current delivered through a needle will destroy tissue.
Old 11-18-20, 08:11 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Yep. It's also amps (milliamps) that kills people in freshwater harbours when there is faulty ground on one of the boats there. It doesn't really take much amperage.
Also, it's why an electric fence is rarely deadly: not many amps in it, and why you can halve your wire size if you go from 12V 10A to 24V 5A. It's the amps that carries the actual current.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-19-20, 09:40 AM
WanSko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've had it happen.