Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who has separate bicycle insurance?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-14-20, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts

Our fleet of bikes for Mrs RSBob and myself are covered for replacement under our home owner’s insurance. I contacted our insurance agent and he said he could sell us an additional policy or rider or something in case one of our bikes is stolen off property. Think the quote was an additional $50+ a month. I didn’t bite since our bikes are never out of sight when away from home. Heck I even roll mine into the dentist’s office on the third floor.

Got supplemental? If so... do tell your reasoning. “Inquiring minds want to know”

Old 11-14-20, 11:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, the agent is revealing to you that your risk of loss from bike theft amounts to less than $50 per month on average. How do insurance companies make money? By pooling your premiums and investing them in the stock market. I'm not a financial advisor, but my reaction would be to put $50 per month into a mainstream investment such as an index fund, and be self insured.

Insurance makes sense under limited circumstances, such as if you would be financially devastated by loss of a bike. For most people, that's covered by, if you can't afford to lose your toy, then you can't afford your toy in the first place.

I once bought some item at Best Buy, and the cashier asked me if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. I told her: "I have a service that provides me with complete protection for everything that I own, through my bank." She asked me what the service was called, and I told her: "It's called my bank account." But while I was being sarcastic, there's a grain of truth to it: The money that I've saved over my lifetime by not buying unnecessary insurance would in fact pay to replace practically anything that I own. At this point I could probably even live with out house insurance.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-15-20, 12:26 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I would read your policy and/or get an opinion from the company that wrote the policy vs that agent’s take.

Personal property typically doesn’t have to be “at home” or on your property to be covered by your homeowner’s policy.

That’s been the case each time we’ve filed a claim when bikes, cameras, surf boards, etc. have been stolen.
look for your insurance policy and read what is EXCLUDED. That’s the most important part of your policy. If it’s not EXCLUDED it should be covered.
Old 11-15-20, 12:51 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Good to know. Will re-read. Thanks

so why do they sell additional insurance for bikes besides putting more $$ in their pockets?

Old 11-15-20, 11:26 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by rsbob

so why do they sell additional insurance for bikes besides putting more $$ in their pockets?
If your policy excludes bike theft you would have to add bike theft as an additional coverage under your schedule property. Another reason would be if your policy has limited coverage for theft and your limits doesn’t cover the replacement cost of your bike you would need to increase your policy limits.

Another example; It’s like adding additional coverage to cover your expensive jewelry bc your policy is limited.

I think Many Homeowners policies you would have to schedule properties worth over a certain amount.

Like they say there’s no cheap insurance. If you opted for the cheapest policy it will be limited to what it will cover. Where as the more expensive policies will have many additional coverages and higher limits to cover bike and jewelry.

Last edited by jay4usc; 11-15-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 11:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I hope our 3 M blanket would cover them then.

Old 11-15-20, 11:55 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my view....................
I once bought some item at Best Buy, and the cashier asked me if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. I told her: "I have a service that provides me with complete protection for everything that I own, through my bank." She asked me what the service was called, and I told her: "It's called my bank account." But while I was being sarcastic, there's a grain of truth to it: The money that I've saved over my lifetime by not buying unnecessary insurance would in fact pay to replace practically anything that I own. At this point I could probably even live with out house insurance.
I realize that the focus of this conversation is bicycle insurance not homeowners insurance but any homeowner that doesn't have homeowners insurance is crazy. Assuming that you own your place without a mortgage, if you have the misfortune to have a room and contents fire, the cost to repair will probably exceed the savings by not having insurance. If really unfortunate and have a whole house fire, the cost to have the dwelling torn down will far exceed the savings of not having insurance. If someone breaks into you home and rips all of your plumbing out and punches holes in your walls and takes all of your belongings then you are royally screwed.

A friend of mine inherited his fathers home. He let the place go briefly without insurance. It was gutted by an arson fire. He sold the land for slightly less than the cost of having the home town down.
Old 11-15-20, 11:59 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I hope our 3 M blanket would cover them then.
Is that for both fire and theft? If so, you should be fine with a 3m blanketed limits.
Old 11-15-20, 12:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Is that for both fire and theft? If so, you should be fine with a 3m blanketed limits.

yes and yes. Appreciate your council.

Old 11-15-20, 12:18 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I realize that the focus of this conversation is bicycle insurance not homeowners insurance but any homeowner that doesn't have homeowners insurance is crazy. Assuming that you own your place without a mortgage, if you have the misfortune to have a room and contents fire, the cost to repair will probably exceed the savings by not having insurance. If really unfortunate and have a whole house fire, the cost to have the dwelling torn down will far exceed the savings of not having insurance. If someone breaks into you home and rips all of your plumbing out and punches holes in your walls and takes all of your belongings then you are royally screwed.

A friend of mine inherited his fathers home. He let the place go briefly without insurance. It was gutted by an arson fire. He sold the land for slightly less than the cost of having the home town down.
Have no fear, I'm not actually planning on going there.
Old 11-15-20, 12:19 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
If one or two bikes were stolen then I would be upset.
If all the bikes were taken then I would be really really mad.
Was the quote for an additional $50+ a month for all the specific bike you own, replacement cost?
Ofcourse they could not be replaced.
Most home owner policies would probably help replace one bike but not even a "super" bike.
Old 11-15-20, 12:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Scant people will be financially devastated if their uninsured bikes were stolen.

Scant few people would NOT be financially devastated if their uninsured homes were destroyed.

This is why home insurance usually makes sense and why bike insurance usually does not.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-15-20, 12:59 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Would that extra 50$ also cover liability in case you run someone over or other type of accident as well?
Old 11-15-20, 04:09 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Gresp's idea might pay nice dividends for the moderately disciplined. At $50.00 per month, if you managed to keep your bike from being stolen, in three years, you would have $1800.00 towards N+1.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 11-15-20, 04:27 PM
Gresp15C

The way to look at homeowners insurance is based on an old rule of thumb: When betting against an adversary with deep enough pockets, everybody eventually goes bust. In the case of homeowners insurance, the trusty Interwebz suggests that it costs an average of $800/year in my state. What it means is that as a matter of fact your house is likely to receive less than $800 worth of damage in any year. But self-insurance only works if you can actually afford to cover a big loss, because if you can't, then you have to shut down. Most people in the US can't even cover the loss of a couple of paychecks. For those who could write a check to replace their house, most in that category would still experience a major lifestyle change, especially in retirement.

Likewise in betting, even if the averages are in your favor, eventually you will be killed by a big enough loss, so you can't bet as much as someone who has infinitely deep pockets. The averages are the same for both players, but the rare big events affect big and small players differently. In a betting game the big players will win over time for this reason, even if they can't stack the odds in their own favor.

Still, a bike is not a house. Heck, I could insure my bike by hoarding a spare bike. If you can't discipline yourself to save $50/mo, or don't have the money, then in either case it really means that you can't afford to have that kind of bike.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-15-20, 05:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by joesch
If one or two bikes were stolen then I would be upset.
If all the bikes were taken then I would be really really mad.
Was the quote for an additional $50+ a month for all the specific bike you own, replacement cost?
Ofcourse they could not be replaced.
Most home owner policies would probably help replace one bike but not even a "super" bike.
It was for the two most valuable bikes out of six.

Originally Posted by blue192
Would that extra 50$ also cover liability in case you run someone over or other type of accident as well?
Nope.

Old 11-16-20, 06:45 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The way to look at homeowners insurance is based on an old rule of thumb: When betting against an adversary with deep enough pockets, everybody eventually goes bust. In the case of homeowners insurance, the trusty Interwebz suggests that it costs an average of $800/year in my state. What it means is that as a matter of fact your house is likely to receive less than $800 worth of damage in any year. But self-insurance only works if you can actually afford to cover a big loss, because if you can't, then you have to shut down. Most people in the US can't even cover the loss of a couple of paychecks. For those who could write a check to replace their house, most in that category would still experience a major lifestyle change, especially in retirement.

Likewise in betting, even if the averages are in your favor, eventually you will be killed by a big enough loss, so you can't bet as much as someone who has infinitely deep pockets. The averages are the same for both players, but the rare big events affect big and small players differently. In a betting game the big players will win over time for this reason, even if they can't stack the odds in their own favor.

Still, a bike is not a house. Heck, I could insure my bike by hoarding a spare bike. If you can't discipline yourself to save $50/mo, or don't have the money, then in either case it really means that you can't afford to have that kind of bike.
Usually in a homeowners insurance policy there are several policies combined into one. To get an understanding of this, consider renters insurance which can purchased for +/- $100 a year. That policy only covers personal items in a dwelling since the renter has no financial liability in doing structural repairs.

In my state and I'm sure it is in most states there is a tax on homeowner policies that are written by out of state carriers that is used to fund Firemen's Relief. This is a considerable amount of money and gets rolled into the premium.

Insurance rates are determined in part by ISO ratings based on fire suppression assets available such as distance from the local firehouse and amount of water available. So a home located next to a firehouse with a hydrant in the front yard will have a lower rate than a home 15 miles away with no hydrants. Same applies to sprinkler systems and monitored alarm systems. I would rather imagine insurance in a high crime area would also be affected.
Old 11-16-20, 07:17 AM
squeakyschwinn

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Traveler; 2013 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I carry insurance on my ebike. I went separate from homeowner's because, in the event that I ever need to use it, I didn't want a homeowner's claim to possibly impact my premiums on my home.
Old 11-16-20, 07:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts

Huh? Insurance companies are in business to put money in their pockets.
Old 11-16-20, 08:08 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakyschwinn
I carry insurance on my ebike. I went separate from homeowner's because, in the event that I ever need to use it, I didn't want a homeowner's claim to possibly impact my premiums on my home.
I opted for a renter's insurance policy to cover my bikes for just this reason. I don't want to add a claim to my homeowners policy if I don't have to. Between carrying my bikes inside my vehicles and on a hitch rack I was concerned about theft while away from the house. Sure, I bet my homeowners insurance will pay for the loss but the deductible is higher and they don't provide replacement value, only current value. I cheecked my policy.

For renter's insurance, my $25,000 policy is $194 yr, $500 deductible. The policy will pay for replacement value of the items lost. My car insurance went down approx $100 a year by adding the renters insurance so net cost is around $100 yr. Money well spent in my opinion.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 11-16-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-16-20, 08:30 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
No. No point in insurance on our old bikes.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-16-20, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
$50/month? I wouldnt consider that unless I lived in an area with high bike theft. And if I did, I would keep my bikes in my house to help reduce the chances.
I cant imagine spending $600 a year on bike insurance for only 2 bikes, then having to shell out $ for my deductible if I needed to file a claim.
Old 11-16-20, 09:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
No. No point in insurance on our old bikes.

Otto
Agree. What will be used to determine value; bicycle blue book? That would probably come out to $50 per bike for replacement.

John
Old 11-16-20, 09:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$50/month? I wouldnt consider that unless I lived in an area with high bike theft. And if I did, I would keep my bikes in my house to help reduce the chances.
I cant imagine spending $600 a year on bike insurance for only 2 bikes, then having to shell out $ for my deductible if I needed to file a claim.
At that price, at the very least I would more consider perhaps the Velosurance type of products -- in addition to theft, I believe you also get damage coverage from a crash, and perhaps some medical coverage.
Old 11-16-20, 10:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
USA is an insurance driven Nation of over-evolved consumers.

Pay On!
And they have recruited every retail check-out cashier.
"Would you like the extended warranty on that screwdriver?".

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-16-20 at 10:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.